Pork Chops - Two Extremes

Filet Mignon
2010/03/03 21:55:19
I thought I'd share pictures of a couple meals from last week's vacation.

On Monday we spent the day in Progresso on Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula.  After a tour of Mayan ruins, we had lunch at a place on the beach recommended by our tour guide.  Sorry, but I don't remember the name of the place.

I ordered the Yucatan Style Pork Chop.  It looked like this.

I've never seen a pork chop that looks like that before.  It was good and even tasted like pork.  Although I left a lot of gristle and fat on the plate.

We returned to New Orleans on Thursday and had dinner at Broussard's.  I had scanned the online menu and had zeroed in on their pork chop.
BERKSHIRE PORK CHOP
Grilled on celeriac puree’ with Caramelized Apple Chutney, Beurre Blanc and Port Wine chile sauce

It was dark in the restaurant, so when the chop was served I thought the pork was piled on the celeriac puree.  Nope, that was all pork.  It was between 2 and 3 inches thick (thicker in back).

This was the best pork chop I have ever eaten.  Charred on the outside and a juicy medium inside, with a really good seasoning and sauce.  I ate every bit of it that I could without picking up the bone with my hands.

Hard to believe that these come from the same animal.  But both were very tasty.

One question: Does dog taste like pork?

Mosca
Filet Mignon
Re:Pork Chops - Two Extremes 2010/03/03 22:15:26
No, but goat kind of does, sometimes. I had goat in Jamaica, It looked kind of like that. It was good and even tasted like pork. Although I left a lot of gristle and fat on the plate, IIRC.
baileysoriginal
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Pork Chops - Two Extremes 2010/03/03 22:56:16
 That Broussard's pork chop is indeed very impressive -
6star
Filet Mignon
Re:Pork Chops - Two Extremes 2010/03/03 23:42:11
Quite a few years ago on a trip to Mexico I had "Barbecoa de mixiote" in Oaxaca that looked the size of a leg bone (broken in half) of either goat or dog.  I didn't know enough Spanish to be able to find out which it really was while I was there, but a couple of years ago a good friend of mine who still has relatives in Mexico said it was goat, since that is a common meat eaten in Mexico.  If your "pork chop" really wasn't pork, the odds are it was goat.
ScreenBear
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Pork Chops - Two Extremes 2010/03/04 01:24:03
Is it really OK for a pork chop to be juicy, medium inside? Isn't that dangerous? I know I overcook chops regularly.

The Bear
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
Re:Pork Chops - Two Extremes 2010/03/04 05:35:38
ScreenBear

Is it really OK for a pork chop to be juicy, medium inside? Isn't that dangerous? I know I overcook chops regularly.

The Bear

Yes.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Pork Chops - Two Extremes 2010/03/04 05:46:06
ScreenBear,
 IN the USA the former 'trechinosus'(sp?) issue of generations past regarding Pork are no longer valid according to both the USDA and the Pork Producers. I still prefer my pork to be "more than Medium" in the finished cooking level. While Well-done does seem to toughen a loin, leaving a Butt medium-rare almost guarantees a tough chewy piece of meat.

I noticed recently that Costco is now carrying "frenched" Rack of Pork. When I first saw one I thought they had put out some very large Rack of Lamb, but they were Pork, and pretty good looking pork too. We may try some in the near future. The one you show in N O looks beautiful.
RedJim64
Cheeseburger
Re:Pork Chops - Two Extremes 2010/03/04 08:31:52
Both plates are gorgeous, JRP!
porkbeaks
Re:Pork Chops - Two Extremes 2010/03/04 09:01:46
If you're willing to pay the price, Berkshire pork will give you what you've been missing since pork became the
"other white meat". This rack cost around $40 and, if it were only more easily available, I'd get it fairly regularly. Didn't get a chance to take "after" pic; I was too busy making sure I got my share.  pb

ScreamingChicken
Filet Mignon
Re:Pork Chops - Two Extremes 2010/03/04 09:17:31
Both those chops look excellent.  And with the one from Broussard's you not only get pork to chew on but big words as well.

According to Ray "Dr. BBQ" Lampe, pork is safe at 137 degrees Fahrenheit internal temperature.  My mother, however, cooks pork to at least 137 degrees Celsius.

If I'm cooking a lean cut like a loin or tenderloin I try to end the cooking process around 140F so carryover takes it to 145F or so.

Brad
kland01s
Filet Mignon
Re:Pork Chops - Two Extremes 2010/03/09 10:41:54
mayor al
I noticed recently that Costco is now carrying "frenched" Rack of Pork. When I first saw one I thought they had put out some very large Rack of Lamb, but they were Pork, and pretty good looking pork too. We may try some in the near future. The one you show in N O looks beautiful.

That kind of cut has been around for a long time and is usually called a "crown rack" of pork. It's what I usually serve at Christmas.

the grillman
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Pork Chops - Two Extremes 2010/03/09 11:03:00
I like to cook loin chops to a med-well stage; just a hint of pink.  If you don't grill them over too high a heat, they will also stay juicier.  A well-cooked juicy pork chop is one of life's great meals!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Pork Chops - Two Extremes 2010/03/09 11:06:57
We have the 'Crown Rack' of Pork at many of our local stores during the holiday seasons. The rack I saw at Costco is more like a large rack of Lamb...six or seven  ribchops, straight line, frenched like the Lamb. No way to group them in the circle like the traditional Crown Roast of Pork!
agnesrob
Re:Pork Chops - Two Extremes 2010/03/09 11:09:57
I am able to buy Berkshire pork chps at my local Kings Supermarket. They really are delicious! I cook them until they are slightly pink.
kland01s
Filet Mignon
Re:Pork Chops - Two Extremes 2010/03/10 11:40:49
mayor al

We have the 'Crown Rack' of Pork at many of our local stores during the holiday seasons. The rack I saw at Costco is more like a large rack of Lamb...six or seven  ribchops, straight line, frenched like the Lamb. No way to group them in the circle like the traditional Crown Roast of Pork!

That's how the crown begins, a straight line "frenched" cut and then pulled around to form a circle and held by string. The center then is usually stuffed. My butcher asks if I want it formed into a crown or in a rack when I order.