one and ONLY one food???

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Post
jerseygirl127
Cheeseburger
2004/01/11 09:01:45
ok-- we've asked this question around the dinner table several times ( getting the same answers from everyone each time) thought i'd see what YOU all think.. ok here goes....
"if you were stranded somewhere and could have one and only one food to keep you going, what would it be?"

** mine is pizza-- could eat that 24/7 if i had to!**
Michael Stern
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: one and ONLY one food??? 2004/01/11 09:06:30
Cheeseburgers (with French fries and chocolate milk shakes). No, make that bacon cheeseburgers.
Poverty Pete
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: one and ONLY one food??? 2004/01/11 10:09:00
I'm going with Bushie's beans.
RubyRose
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: one and ONLY one food??? 2004/01/11 10:10:42
Potatoes - if it was good enough for the Irish, it's good enough for me.
rumbelly
Cheeseburger
RE: one and ONLY one food??? 2004/01/11 10:21:43
Grilled Rib Eye of the most marbled type. Beer to drink so you last longer.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
RE: one and ONLY one food??? 2004/01/11 11:02:14
I know I could eat Thanksgiving dinner every day for a few months.....so, any combination of roast turkey, mashed taters, and savory stuffing would keep me in food for a good while.

Steve
i95
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: one and ONLY one food??? 2004/01/11 11:34:33
quote:
Originally posted by stevekoe

I know I could eat Thanksgiving dinner every day for a few months.....so, any combination of roast turkey, mashed taters, and savory stuffing would keep me in food for a good while.

Steve


I second that!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: one and ONLY one food??? 2004/01/11 11:45:45
I'll join Michael Stern with the Bacon Cheeseburgers...but be sure they are fully dressed with every possible item from Horseradish to L&T to Grilled onion. You imply no side dishes, but we need fries.rings,'rooms,and zuccini from the deep fryer, and carbonated beverage (coke).
LegalLady
Cheeseburger
RE: one and ONLY one food??? 2004/01/11 11:49:15
Oh my goodness would have to be shrimp in any way shape or form!
LizzieR
Hamburger
RE: one and ONLY one food??? 2004/01/11 13:52:36
chocolate chip cookies
EliseT
Filet Mignon
RE: one and ONLY one food??? 2004/01/11 18:44:21
Versailles' roast chicken with black beans and rice and plantains. As an added bonus, the garlic would keep me from getting sick and the lime would prevent scurvy.
JimInKy
Double Cheeseburger
RE: one and ONLY one food??? 2004/01/11 19:50:35
quote:
Originally posted by EliseT

Versailles' roast chicken with black beans and rice and plantains. As an added bonus, the garlic would keep me from getting sick and the lime would prevent scurvy.

A tasty choice, Elise. I was fortunate to have that very meal at Versailles. If you had the black beans and rice combined, it was called rice moros.

I would have to go with vegetable beef soup, which, of course requires crusty bread and cheese.
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: one and ONLY one food??? 2004/01/11 20:27:48
Elise or Jim, which Versailles? In France?
Stranded and only one food..........hmmmmm.......asked this to SO and he said, "chicken soup". Nah...for me it would be duck confit or opah.
JimInKy
Double Cheeseburger
RE: one and ONLY one food??? 2004/01/11 20:48:04
quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

Elise or Jim, which Versailles? In France?
Stranded and only one food..........hmmmmm.......asked this to SO and he said, "chicken soup". Nah...for me it would be duck confit or opah.

Lisa, We're talking about the Cuban restaurant in Miami, Florida. The Versailles is THE place in that city for Cuban cooking, beloved by locals and visitors alike. It really is a good place to eat and I hope you kids can visit someday. I wrote about them in a post here that I will try to find for you. If only you were going to Brazil via Miami!
Edwaste
Cheeseburger
RE: one and ONLY one food??? 2004/01/11 21:46:53
Make mine Chili
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: one and ONLY one food??? 2004/01/11 23:28:42
quote:
Originally posted by rumbelly

Grilled Rib Eye of the most marbled type. Beer to drink so you last longer.


THAT'S TWO FOODS!!!!!
Shortly, Ort. in 30601.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: one and ONLY one food??? 2004/01/11 23:30:08
Dearfolk,
Livermush. (You were expecting otherwise?)
Entral Nously, Ort. Carlton in 30601-Headqtrs.
Grampy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: one and ONLY one food??? 2004/01/12 00:08:06
I agree with Michael and the Mayor. As much as I love pizza, in those moments in life when I was without "real" food -- hitch-hiking through Canada in College; traveling through Europe on a nickle a day -- a cheeseburger always came to mind. We have entertained ravenous vegetarians, and vegans, for the past week. The eats I prepared were good, but in near 10 below tonight, I grilled cheeseburgers.
BigGlenn
Cheeseburger
RE: one and ONLY one food??? 2004/01/12 01:23:35
A live Rabbit.........No, just one. The one I had as kid reproduced without even seeing another rabbit. Thats what my Dad said anyway!
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: one and ONLY one food??? 2004/01/12 01:25:41
quote:
Originally posted by JimInKy

quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

Elise or Jim, which Versailles? In France?
Stranded and only one food..........hmmmmm.......asked this to SO and he said, "chicken soup". Nah...for me it would be duck confit or opah.

Lisa, We're talking about the Cuban restaurant in Miami, Florida. The Versailles is THE place in that city for Cuban cooking, beloved by locals and visitors alike. It really is a good place to eat and I hope you kids can visit someday. I wrote about them in a post here that I will try to find for you. If only you were going to Brazil via Miami!

Oh BUT WE ARE!!! It took me 37 hours to get to Brazil last trip, alone. SO who is as big as Paul Bunyon says, no way. We're going to Miami, spend the night and then go on from there. So I need info about Versailles! Thanks!
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: one and ONLY one food??? 2004/01/12 01:28:08
quote:
Originally posted by clothier

quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

Elise or Jim, which Versailles? In France?
Stranded and only one food..........hmmmmm.......asked this to SO and he said, "chicken soup". Nah...for me it would be duck confit or opah.



Did you mean Oprah?

Oprah? Uma? Uma.Oprah.

No, Mr. Snarky, I said opah. Moonfish. From the Pacific, local to Hawaii. Best piece of fish I ever ate.
Dipstick
Cheeseburger
RE: one and ONLY one food??? 2004/01/12 07:54:28
This is a tough one! I guess I would have to say Spagetti and meatballs, with fresh ground black pepper and parmesan on the side.
i95
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: one and ONLY one food??? 2004/01/12 07:57:19
quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

quote:
Originally posted by clothier

quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

Elise or Jim, which Versailles? In France?
Stranded and only one food..........hmmmmm.......asked this to SO and he said, "chicken soup". Nah...for me it would be duck confit or opah.



Did you mean Oprah?

Oprah? Uma? Uma.Oprah.

No, Mr. Snarky, I said opah. Moonfish. From the Pacific, local to Hawaii. Best piece of fish I ever ate.


That's definitely not Oprah.
Argent
Cheeseburger
RE: one and ONLY one food??? 2004/01/12 07:58:43
Smoked Salmon
RE: one and ONLY one food??? 2004/01/12 08:34:28
Ooh, I'm with you, Argent. Smoked salmon, with a poppyseed bagel, cream cheese, capers, red onion, fresh summer tomato, a squeeze of lemon....

I'm not asking too much, am I?

Can I have a bloody mary with it?
Rhodes
Cheeseburger
RE: one and ONLY one food??? 2004/01/12 08:37:56
Pad Thai.
RibDog
Double Cheeseburger
RE: one and ONLY one food??? 2004/01/12 08:52:43
Slow-cooked BBQed St. Louis style ribs using Bonesmoker's rub and Big Bob Gibson's Sauce!

Barbeque, it's just not for breakfast anymore!

John
Argent
Cheeseburger
RE: one and ONLY one food??? 2004/01/12 10:19:00
Can I make my bagel Pumpernickle
quote:
Originally posted by Laughing Goddess

Ooh, I'm with you, Argent. Smoked salmon, with a poppyseed bagel, cream cheese, capers, red onion, fresh summer tomato, a squeeze of lemon....

I'm not asking too much, am I?

Can I have a bloody mary with it?
IansMom
Cheeseburger
RE: one and ONLY one food??? 2004/01/12 10:54:58
Sushi.. with a side of japanese pickles
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
RE: one and ONLY one food??? 2004/01/12 11:21:23
It's not really just one dish, but it is a classic of the rural South: Beans, Greens & Cornbread...
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
RE: one and ONLY one food??? 2004/01/12 12:31:53
quote:
Originally posted by pogophiles

It's not really just one dish, but it is a classic of the rural South: Beans, Greens & Cornbread...

I totally agree! These sustained me for the first 18 years of my life, and this remains my favorite meal (with some onions and pan fried potatos on the side).
Rhodes
Cheeseburger
RE: one and ONLY one food??? 2004/01/12 14:05:49
Or Pho.
alesrus
Cheeseburger
RE: one and ONLY one food??? 2004/01/12 14:34:15
HOT DOGS!
MaryB
Junior Burger
RE: one and ONLY one food??? 2004/01/12 14:43:15
Wow this is a tough one, I would have to go with BLTs. To frink, Sonic Cherry limeaides........
jerseygirl127
Cheeseburger
RE: one and ONLY one food??? 2004/01/12 14:47:45
wow-- some different tastes out there for sure.. fun to see what you all like-- i'd still have to stay with my choice of PIZZA-- any kind ( no anchovies though--that's the only thing i won't eat on pizza-- and others-- 'see 'pizza toppings' thread for that one) don't want to mix threads here.... that would be bad..:)
anyway-- keep the answers coming- i'm enjoying this..

guess the next part would be-- WHERE would you like to be stranded and with whom?? haha .. ok --- that's not food related!! guess that don't count!! oh well..
Pwingsx
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: one and ONLY one food??? 2004/01/12 15:07:40
Steak steak steak steak steak steak steak.
dan409
Junior Burger
RE: one and ONLY one food??? 2004/01/12 16:40:18
Marooned on a desert island I would opt for a chicken. Think of the endless supply of eggs! I could have a different egg dish each day. Or on a desert island you could always eat the sandwiches there "sand which is there".
Grampy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: one and ONLY one food??? 2004/01/12 16:44:07
quote:
Originally posted by clothier

mixing the threads would be bad?

define bad.


We have enough warp, perhaps we could use a little weft.
redtressed
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: one and ONLY one food??? 2004/01/12 17:03:05
quote:
MaryB Posted - 01/12/2004 : 14:43:15
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wow this is a tough one, I would have to go with BLTs. To frink, Sonic Cherry limeaides.



We'll have no FRINKING in these forums young lady!
( I love making good typos, don't you MaryB?)
Scylla
Junior Burger
RE: one and ONLY one food??? 2004/01/12 17:40:19
I'm with Jersey Girl: Pizza. You know, you have to consider what will keep you feeling good on that desert island. Pizza: providing all our daily nutritioal requirements. The perfect food.
Another perfect food is peanut butter and banana sandwiches (made with nutritionally sound whole grain bread, of course)--delicious, but, unlike Elvis, I would get tired of that.
And, to take up the challenge: a classic tropical island of the Hawaii/Tahiti sort with--whew, this is difficult--an attractive, good humored male, good conversationalist, well read, who knows how to build shelter and find water. And who likes Pizza. Welcome to Fantasy Island!
Also: thanks for the Versailles recommendation! I was trying to come up with a good Miami Cuban place for my niece, who will be visiting soon.
Grampy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: one and ONLY one food??? 2004/01/12 17:45:39
quote:
Originally posted by clothier

Ghostbusters.

Define bad: the end of all life as we know it.

oh, syas Mr Murray, that would be bad.


Turning it back to food: "This chick is toast."
EliseT
Filet Mignon
RE: one and ONLY one food??? 2004/01/12 21:41:15
quote:
Originally posted by Scylla

I'm with Jersey Girl: Pizza. You know, you have to consider what will keep you feeling good on that desert island. Pizza: providing all our daily nutritioal requirements. The perfect food.
Another perfect food is peanut butter and banana sandwiches (made with nutritionally sound whole grain bread, of course)--delicious, but, unlike Elvis, I would get tired of that.
And, to take up the challenge: a classic tropical island of the Hawaii/Tahiti sort with--whew, this is difficult--an attractive, good humored male, good conversationalist, well read, who knows how to build shelter and find water. And who likes Pizza. Welcome to Fantasy Island!
Also: thanks for the Versailles recommendation! I was trying to come up with a good Miami Cuban place for my niece, who will be visiting soon.


The Versailles I refer to is in Los Angeles. I don't believe the family has one in Fla. If there is one, it's not related. But post that query on "Where should I eat?" I bet you'll get lots of good ideas.
jerseygirl127
Cheeseburger
RE: one and ONLY one food??? 2004/01/12 22:04:35
didn't mean BAD.. just trying to keep to the topic that's all.. didn't mean life ending/threatening bad.. just trying to keep things straight here... that's all...
olphart
Cheeseburger
RE: one and ONLY one food??? 2004/01/12 22:46:24
Shrimp!

“You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it.”
scbuzz
Double Cheeseburger
RE: one and ONLY one food??? 2004/01/13 08:11:55
Meatloaf for me !!! The all purpose food !! Especially cold the next day !!

efuery
Double Cheeseburger
RE: one and ONLY one food??? 2004/01/13 09:05:40
With so many great things to eat it's difficult to pick just one. However, I know if I didn't have chocolate (any shape or form) at some point, I would die!
howard8
Cheeseburger
RE: one and ONLY one food??? 2004/01/13 14:16:53
Going with chicken on this one. Has many different components to satisfy. You have your crispy skin. You have your wings. Breast for when you want to diet. And your legs and thighs when you are in the mood to party. Alas you have the backend when you want a treat. And those two tasty little morsels that are hidden near the thighs (oysters). Chicken is like a complete banquet when you break it down.
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: one and ONLY one food??? 2004/01/13 14:33:58
I cant wrap my brain around the concept of only ONE food! It not only CANT be done....it SHOUDN'T! Wrong, i tell you,its just plain wrong!
Sushi_Girl
Cheeseburger
RE: one and ONLY one food??? 2004/01/13 14:39:09
AN ODE TO SUSHI
if i only had one food to eat
i know my tastebuds would feel complete
the eating of raw meat
-an ode to sushi-
Some people see it as bait
others just cannot relate
i say cowards only hate
-an ode to sushi-
Tuna, yellowtail, and Eel
im lured by its sex appeal
i get satisfied with every meal
-an ode to sushi-


the end.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
RE: one and ONLY one food??? 2004/01/13 15:51:59
Just one food! oh my------I can't survive without variety!
IansMom
Cheeseburger
RE: one and ONLY one food??? 2004/01/13 15:58:19
::stands and claps for sushi girl:: brava brava
Sushi_Girl
Cheeseburger
RE: one and ONLY one food??? 2004/01/13 16:47:09
thank you, thank you, its not open mic night but i felt the need to spout forth. i can do a mean version of "smelly cat"
Lone Star
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: one and ONLY one food??? 2004/01/13 17:17:03
The one and only perfect food - TACOS - beef, lettuce, cheese and tomatoes. Balanced diet.
olphart
Cheeseburger
RE: one and ONLY one food??? 2004/01/13 18:40:20
Is this where I submit my poem? OK.

I once had some clams in Nantucket
That came in a large wooden bucket.




Uh, gee. I forgot the rest of it.
Grampy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: one and ONLY one food??? 2004/01/13 18:49:51
quote:
Originally posted by olphart

Is this where I submit my poem? OK.

I once had some clams in Nantucket
That came in a large wooden bucket.




Uh, gee. I forgot the rest of it.



I'll just bet you did...
i95
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: one and ONLY one food??? 2004/01/13 18:58:06
olphart, good thing I just happened to have had that exact passage of the New Testament open as it goes:

I once had some clams in Nantucket
That came in a large wooden bucket
They were too gritty and from less desirable mud
Surely not potable for any blueblood
They must've come from Pawtucket



chinesegirl
Hamburger
RE: one and ONLY one food??? 2004/01/13 19:32:18
spaghetti and meat ball

Grandma used to make it whenever I want
High school dinning room served it every Wednesday for lunch
college - Ikea Swedish meatball in Prego sauce
Now, I am learning my Grandma's recipe...
Grampy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: one and ONLY one food??? 2004/01/13 19:43:17
Then there's the variation from the Apocrypha:

There once was a man from Nantucket,
Kept all of his clams in a bucket.
His daughter named Nan
Ran off with a man.
And as for the bucket,
Natucket.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: one and ONLY one food??? 2004/01/13 19:47:06
quote:
Originally posted by Grampy

Then there's the variation from the Apocrypha:

There once was a man from Nantucket,
Kept all of his clams in a bucket.
His daughter named Nan
Ran off with a man.
And as for the bucket,
Natucket.


sorry Grampy, that was right over my head

Paul E. Smith
knoxville, TN
Grampy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: one and ONLY one food??? 2004/01/13 19:57:00
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

quote:
Originally posted by Grampy

Then there's the variation from the Apocrypha:

There once was a man from Nantucket,
Kept all of his clams in a bucket.
His daughter named Nan
Ran off with a man.
And as for the bucket,
Natucket.


sorry Grampy, that was right over my head

Paul E. Smith
knoxville, TN


I would have ended with Nan took it, but that ruins the rhyme, unless you are from Alberta.
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2