Soup Nutsies

Double Cheeseburger
2004/01/12 22:25:01
Anyone ever tried one of the various soup chains? I remember that Soup franchises were going to be all the rage after the Seinfeld Soup Nazi episode. Every once in a while I see one, but have yet to let go of some cold cash for hot soup ....
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
RE: Soup Nutsies 2004/01/12 22:28:34
I don't know that I have ever tried any soup chains, but I do admit to liking some chain soups -- have never had a bad bowl at Atlanta Bread Co or Panera's -- and I do like the sourdough bread bowls, too.

Steve
redtressed
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Soup Nutsies 2004/01/12 22:48:16
Yup I agree, Panera's makes a good bowl of soup. Panera's make a lot of good things period. As far as soups go in general though, I think it's a bit difficult to find any real quality soups other than the occasional chicken noodle, french onion, or chili. Beef based soups in particular usually leave something to be desired, imho as well as most seafood chowders. I do however enjoy the light broths at most Japanese places, and the egg drop in most Chinese.
kland01s
Filet Mignon
RE: Soup Nutsies 2004/01/13 09:15:11
I've become a real fan of Tom Yum, the soup in Thai places. Some places make it a tad fiery, some will even ask how much heat you can take. It's a great sinus clearer!
Grampy
RE: Soup Nutsies 2004/01/13 09:30:55
quote:
Originally posted by kland01s

I've become a real fan of Tom Yum, the soup in Thai places. Some places make it a tad fiery, some will even ask how much heat you can take. It's a great sinus clearer!

Did you know you can buy Tom Yum -- or Tom Yam -- cubes in Asian markets? Most people think Knorr is for the basic beef, chicken, veggie, and fish, but they also have Oriental ham, mushroom, and a number of other varieties to use in a pinch.
Spudnut
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Soup Nutsies 2004/01/13 09:35:22
A couple of mini-chains opened in Manhattan several years ago in the aftermath of the Seinfeld episode. One of them, "Soup Nutsy," came and went rather quick. The other, The Daily Soup, is still around. It pretty much billed itself as being as good as International Soup (Soup Nazi), but without the attitude. Plus, they promised to give you bread and fruit, your behavior notwithstanding.

I used to eat there a lot when there was one near my office, and it was pretty good. Right around the time I stopped working near one, the ownership changed. I've heard very mixed things since then, but never had the opportunity to try it again. Meanwhile, any number of individual places offer similar items now, and of course the original -- International Soup -- is still around.
a noid
Junior Burger
RE: Soup Nutsies 2004/01/15 06:54:02
Is anyone familiar with The Soup Cellar in Leavenworth, WA? I have heard good reports.
4fish
Cheeseburger
RE: Soup Nutsies 2004/01/15 15:34:00
Pickerman's is a chain that has really good soup. One opened here last year and it's become a favorite lunch stop. Looking at their website, http://www.pickermans.com it looks like it's mostly in the mid-section of the country.
Sushi_Girl
Cheeseburger
RE: Soup Nutsies 2004/01/23 10:15:30
Atlanta Bread Company has a great soup menu...its similar to Paneras but in my opnion its better.
http://atlantabread.com/menus/
there is a soup menu schedule online.
kland01s
Filet Mignon
RE: Soup Nutsies 2004/01/23 11:16:34
In my part of far west suburban Chicago, the Atlantic Bread stores closed about a year ago. Tried a few things there that were so so but I think it was price that did them in, much higher than Panera.
steaklover
Hamburger
RE: Soup Nutsies 2004/09/12 20:37:56
The Wall Street Journal reported this week that the International Soup Kitchen owned by Al Yageneh, (the soup nazi, sorry guy), is becoming a franchise offering. The soups will be made in a factory and shipped frozen to franchisees.

I wonder if it will be as good? (Maybe loaded with tons of sodium like canned soup)?
Jennifer_4
RE: Soup Nutsies 2004/09/12 23:21:37
I wish to goodness we had a soup chain here in Fresno (we've got everything else), I LOVE soup!!
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: Soup Nutsies 2004/09/13 12:14:23
quote:
Originally posted by Jennifer_4

I wish to goodness we had a soup chain here in Fresno (we've got everything else), I LOVE soup!!

You don't? I thought they were in every mall in this part of the galaxy by now. There are certainly plenty of them in SF starting with the San francsico Soup Company http://www.sfsoupco.com/ But there are many more than that. And Fresno, being sort of between SF and LA, would, I would think, get expanding franchises from both sides.
lamicus
Junior Burger
RE: Soup Nutsies 2004/09/22 13:13:18
Up here in Winnipeg, we have something called Soup Pierre, three locations near downtown. They generally have about 10-12 soups on the go at any given time, and believe me, all of them (at least the ones I've tried) are amazing.

waltpiii
Cheeseburger
RE: Soup Nutsies 2004/09/29 13:26:16
http://www.lamadeleine.com/

I just had the soup at La Madeleine out Washington, DC. It is worth a visit. I enjoy the Potato Soup on Saturdays.

Walt