Baseball Stadium Hot Dogs

Filet Mignon
2010/04/13 06:20:03
Photos of hot dogs (and other sausages) from 24 baseball stadiums.  Some of them look pretty good.

http://www.delish.com/food-fun/baseball-stadium-hot-dogs
post edited by MiamiDon - 2010/04/13 10:46:37
Re:Ballpark Hot Dogs 2010/04/13 08:01:51
"Fun Fact: According to the National Hot Dog & Sausage Council, Miller Park is the only stadium in Major League Baseball where sausages outsell hot dogs."

This doesn't surprise me at all.  And based on personal observation I'll bet the sausage popularity is even greater among tailgaters.

Brad

post edited by Brad_Olson - 2010/04/13 08:03:09
RedJim64
Cheeseburger
Re:Ballpark Hot Dogs 2010/04/13 08:19:56
I've only sampled six stadium signature hot dogs (so far), but my favorite is the Fenway Frank.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
Re:Ballpark Hot Dogs 2010/04/13 08:27:50
Mets' Fans are supposed to eat a Chicago Style Dog?
'
What's up with that?
cavandre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Ballpark Hot Dogs 2010/04/13 08:34:16
While showing the dogs, that website conveniently omitted what the parks are charging for those dogs...Guess they didn't want to spoil our appetite!
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Ballpark Hot Dogs 2010/04/13 10:15:11
That Chicago style dog from Citi (I'm calling it Shea) Stadium set you back $5.75 last season. It was good! There is also a kosher food stand and some have told me the dogs from there are quite good, but I can't get away from the burgers!

Here is what the non-photo op model looks like...

The burgers are much better than this dog...

David_NYC
Re:Ballpark Hot Dogs 2010/04/13 10:38:42
Don,
The photos in the article you linked to are very good. Readers can even duplicate a lot of the hot dogs at home. But, would you consider changing the title of the thread to "Baseball Stadium Hot Dogs"? Kiri Tannenbaum did a good job in rounding up all of those photographs.

Addendum: Thanks, Don, for the change.
post edited by David_NYC - 2010/04/13 11:15:52
hkrall
Junior Burger
Re:Ballpark Hot Dogs 2010/04/13 16:23:48
Even though a Chicago in NY is pretty weird.. it's awesome that Shake Shack is at the stadium. Ditto for Ben's Chili Bowl in Washington. Kind of smart to let the masters do it instead of poorly executed imitations.

Amazing how many Mexican / Sonoran style dogs are in the stadiums now. They look pretty decent / legit except for the Diamondbacks dog which is a pretty outdated interpretation of "southwestern" with nacho cheese and shredded tortillas.

I thought it was funny that either the writer or editors were afraid to use the word "dirty" and called the Nathan's a "water dog" !!
John Fox
Re:Ballpark Hot Dogs 2010/04/13 17:31:39
I was to Shake Shack once and I'm kicking myself that I didn't try their hamburger, which has gotten rave reviews. I wasn't crazy about their Chicago style hot dog. It wasn't prepared well. The ingredients didn't seem fresh and the actual frankfurter was barely warm. Plus it's not really an authentic Chicago dog. The relish isn't the neon green type you get in Chicago. It and the pickles come from Rick's Picks, a New York company. And very few places in Chicago put cucumbers on their hot dogs.

When I went to Yankee Stadium a few years ago I was served a skinless Nathans that was grilled. The natural casing frank should be grilled also. These dogs can be hard to find in stores, but right on the package it suggest that you grill, not boil Nathan's.
Stephen Rushmore Jr.
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Ballpark Hot Dogs 2010/04/13 18:02:12
You can thank our very own Marc Bruno (Roadfood team member) for getting the Shake Shack, Ben's Chili, Tony Lukes and other Roadfood establishments into ball parks.  He is the head of concessions for all the stadiums at Aramark!
John Fox
Re:Ballpark Hot Dogs 2010/04/13 18:10:00
I wish he would comment on the Phillies new hot dog thread. I just spoke with someone from Aramark. Maybe Mr. Bruno could give his perspective.
Michigandriveins
Junior Burger
Re:Ballpark Hot Dogs 2010/04/29 20:55:49
RedJim64

I've only sampled six stadium signature hot dogs (so far), but my favorite is the Fenway Frank.

I agree, the Fenway Frank is outstanding! I just found a website to order them...... too bad I can't get the link to work here.

I'll be trying a Chicago dog at Wrigley this weekend.

post edited by Michigandriveins - 2010/04/29 20:59:11
tusti
Cheeseburger
Re:Ballpark Hot Dogs 2010/05/08 19:33:59
A local radio guy from here in St. Louis waa at Glen Beck's TV show in New York this past week. He said he or someone in his crowd went across the street to a small restaurant and came back saying they were charging $21.00 for a hot dog.
Does that sound right to any of you New Yorkers?
HPlatz
Cheeseburger
Re:Ballpark Hot Dogs 2010/05/08 19:49:37
Last time I was at the now-defunct Yankee Stadium a water was $7 so $21 for a dog would be within my expectations.  I am a Phillies fan, have been so since about 1973.  The Phillies vendor dogs were always what I thought were the best.  They used to come out of a steam box that the vendor carried around.  Don't know if they do that anymore, but I only ever had dogs from Philly, NYY, and Pittsburgh.  Phillies were the best.  Biased opinion.  I always got mine with extra pepper mace and passed on the taser.  In all seriousness, maybe I was lucky but I probably went to 100 games between the Vet and Citz Park and never EVER had a bad time or saw one from anyone at a game.  The non-dog food options at CBP are exceptional, but I hear the lines are long.
John Fox
Re:Ballpark Hot Dogs 2010/05/08 20:02:55
tusti

A local radio guy from here in St. Louis waa at Glen Beck's TV show in New York this past week. He said he or someone in his crowd went across the street to a small restaurant and came back saying they were charging $21.00 for a hot dog.
Does that sound right to any of you New Yorkers?

Not a New Yorker, but it does sound right. I remember reading somewhere on this site about a few places that charge a lot of money for a hot dog. Most of the time it's because it's made from Kobe Beef (probably American Wagyu) and served with some fancy pants toppings on the side.

I had a Kobe beef dog once and it was nothing special. Certainly not worth the high price.

Perhaps this particular place serves the hot dog with foie gras, caviar, broccli rabe, wasabi, cream cheese, avocado, and all the other crap that is part of the disturbing new trend that is "haute dogs". All in an effort to be different and/or justify charging a king's ransom.

I'm here to tell you "THE EMPEROR HAS NO CLOTHES!!!"

I'll take a $1.50 Papaya King dog over any $21.00 dog
Schmelly
Cheeseburger
Re:Ballpark Hot Dogs 2011/04/04 22:39:37
Wow, I can't believe a hot dog could cost $21 (yankee stadium)....

I live in New England, and they sell the Fenway Franks in the supermarkets...They are tasty imo
Samsummers
Junior Burger
Re:Ballpark Hot Dogs 2011/12/28 09:15:41
Hammond stadium for the Springfield cardinals had the best brats from Horrmanns meats but they switched to a different kind Horrmanns now has their own brat hut in Springfield, mo
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:Ballpark Hot Dogs 2011/12/28 09:20:58
Had Nathan's hot dogs at Yankee Stadium a few months ago...and they were no where near 21$.....regular priced hot dogs are avilable....and I was told Ball Park makes Fenway Franks!!
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:Ballpark Hot Dogs 2011/12/28 09:22:39
My Error...Fenway's are made by Keyam these days!
Re:Ballpark Hot Dogs 2011/12/28 09:38:28
This episode of Cannon has some Dodger Stadium footage and in 1 scene veteran actor Whit Bissell is holding a Dodger Dog.

Brad
ScreenBear
Re:Ballpark Hot Dogs 2011/12/28 12:40:09
I have yet to have a truly great hot dog experience at a baseball stadium, major league or otherwise. They are either cold, some cheap junk, or so exorbitant in price so as to preclude a complete and fulfilling enjoyment. 

However, just outside Yankee Stadium, where the principles of a free economy aren't sullied by the captive audience ploy that works within that great ballpark, there are several vendors who serve truly fine examples of the breed. I generally go for two dirty water Sabretts, usually  a sweetworks (mustard , sauerkraut and relish) and one with red sauteed onions and mustard. Man, can't wait 'til baseball season.

The Bear 
ken8038
Re:Ballpark Hot Dogs 2011/12/29 10:18:34
In 1988 there was an interesting book called "Dodger Dogs to Fenway Franks" by Bob Wood, in which he did a summer road trip to every major league stadium and rated them on, among other things, food, including hot dogs. I'm sure the book is out there on half.com, it still would be a great read for roadfooders even 20+ years later.

It even has a wikipedia entry all it's own:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodger_Dogs_to_Fenway_Franks