Fresh Squeezed Lemonade

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 61 to 109 of 109
Gene's Dogs
  • Total Posts : 719
  • Reward points : 0
Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade - Wed, 06/23/10 10:48 PM
as i look online at manual juicers the stainless steel heavy duty ones are rather pricey.  has anyone used the less expensive alloy ones.  it would be worth the extra $50-$80 for one that won't break easily, but that's a lot of money.  doing it by hand would be ok for the first hundred or so, but the machine would be better for a lot of lemonade.

kennyb
  • Total Posts : 374
Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade - Thu, 06/24/10 8:31 AM
we have both juicers and they both work the same. i like the stailess one but most of my help like the other one.

JodyP
  • Total Posts : 322
Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade - Thu, 06/24/10 12:28 PM
We are going to sell lemon shake-ups. We are using the neutral slush base (around $6 / gallon) instead of making our own sugar syrup. This may change because we made 6 gallons of simple syrup (Sugar, water & preservatives) for our shaved ice syrups.
For a 16oz / 20 oz serving  we sell for  $2.00
Fill ½ cup with ice
Two pumps of the neutral slush base (about 2 oz)
Juice from ½ squeezed lemon
Cut lemon in half in put in cup
Top off cup with ice and chilled water
Shake & Serve.
You have to have to tweak it depending on the syrup.
We purchased a Gold Medal #5317 lemon squeezer for the lemons.

Bearadise
  • Total Posts : 55
Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade - Fri, 06/25/10 1:17 AM
RAINY DAY HOT DOG

Anybody doing fresh squeezed lemonade?  Do you use a lemonade mix with lemons floating on top or just lemonade, water and sugar.  Any recipes that work beter than others?

I have a lemonade joint and do it like this:
1/2 of a fresh squeezed lemon (I leave the lemon in the cup, people seem to like it).
16oz cup.
Choice of: Sugar, Splenda, ~real~ New England Maple Syrup or unsweetened.
Ice.
Filtered water.

I place everything in the cup, use a stainless steel shaker to mix it (and give a show), pop in a straw and away the customer goes.

Rich

Gene's Dogs
Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade - Sun, 07/25/10 1:42 PM
kennyb

we have both juicers and they both work the same. i like the stailess one but most of my help like the other one.

thank you kennyb.  i got the cheaper one and it works great.  it's not very heavy, but sturdy and well-balanced.  let's see what happens.

this thread got me thinking about this.  i do want to figure out a good mixture for sugar-free.  d. coke is my biggest selling pop, by far.  ...and i am going to wash my lemons, thanks Lorna :)

chefbuba
  • Total Posts : 1951
Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade - Sun, 07/25/10 3:38 PM
Gene... Go get a bottle of sugar free simple syrup... all the wholesale places that have a large selection of coffee supplies will have it...I'm diabetic, so lemonade is aout for me... but stumbled on the syrup when shopping one day... works great.... I don't offer it, but keep on hand when I want one.

SpiffysRedHots
  • Total Posts : 42
Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade - Tue, 07/27/10 12:02 AM
Chefbuba...i'm a diabetic too and I make these shake ups at home all the time.  My quick version is a 32 oz cup filled with chopped ice, I squeeze half a orange, half a lemon, and half a lime into the cup, add 3 spenda's, and fill the rest with water.  Shake it up and its a quick drink with no added sugar. Doc says its okay for me!

If I'm going to make a lot, I add 2 cups sugar to a gallon of water to make the simple syrup. I also make a sugar free simple syrup with granulated slenda.

I just need to find out from my Health Dept if I can make em on my cart.

TheIke
  • Total Posts : 75
Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade - Tue, 07/27/10 4:21 AM
Capt'n Mike

This is the lemonaid I make at home........Easy and the best I ever had....I add a 1/4 of an orange to this recipe....

Laylita has a very nice page.. Beautiful photos and I am eager to try this whole fruit lemonade. 

Gene's Dogs
Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade - Sat, 07/31/10 9:34 AM
i'm still looking for the sugar-free syrup.  it's amazing how expensive Splenda is

BillyB
  • Total Posts : 2851
Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade - Sat, 07/31/10 10:20 AM
Gene's Dogs

i'm still looking for the sugar-free syrup.  it's amazing how expensive Splenda is

Hey Gene, ask a small Espresso place where they get their flavored sryup......Or
Flavored Sugar Free Simple Syrup - Vitamins & Nutrition - Compare Prices, Reviews and Buy at NexTag - Price - Review

Gene's Dogs
Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade - Sat, 07/31/10 9:44 PM
thanks BillyB.  i got it

olddude2
  • Total Posts : 716
Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade - Mon, 08/2/10 9:42 PM
I never before tried to make a shake up out of store bout lemon juice, but several posts got me curious so I   bought a bottle of "100%" lemon juice and one of those little plastic lemons, and experimented and drank shake ups for a week.

here's my opinion. neither come close to the real thing from fresh lemons.

also part of the price is the flash (the show when you make it). people like to see that nice fresh lemon sliced and the juice run into the glass.

I would guess the difference is how a big company juices their lemons, probably including some zest (Peal) also like making industrial orange juice, the lemons are probably not top quality, or ripe to the right quality.  just my opinion.  if its worth doing it is worth doing well.

Ice Cream Man
  • Total Posts : 1370
Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade - Mon, 08/2/10 10:30 PM
I think you're right olddude.
Real anything is usually better.

jwilliamson
  • Total Posts : 28
Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade - Mon, 08/2/10 11:05 PM
I would think that zesting the lemon and letting this sit your water/suger would help build flavor.  You could just use a vegetable peeler and peel the zest into it to save time.
Good luck

lornaschinske
  • Total Posts : 1610
Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade - Tue, 08/3/10 11:31 AM
We watched a thing on either the food channel or one of the educational channels once on making the lemon juice/lemonade drink you buy in the store.  It seems they crush the peel to extract the lemon oils.  that is why the store bought stuff always seems to taste slightly different than fresh squeezed.

As far as industrial oj. They cook the juice and peels. I grew up near a Treesweet plant.  When the oranges would freeze on the trees, the plant went into overdrive to try and process the oranges before they went bad.  You could smell the truckloads of oranges going bad as you drove past the plant.  I try not to buy orange concentrate.... But then I'm fond of the Valencia juice that Florida Gold uses.

Juliasmile
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade - Mon, 03/12/12 10:47 AM
I'm doing my first festival just selling lemonade canned soda and water . They are estimating 40,000 people and I have no idea how to estimate how much product I'm going to sell. I have no way of knowing who else will be selling lemonade. Any suggestions I would be greatful!!! Thank you!

FriedTater
  • Total Posts : 414
Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade - Mon, 03/12/12 1:20 PM
Julia, who told you 40,000 are attending this event? The promoter? If so, probably 10k might show up. Better to get this info from a very reliable source. Who else will be selling lemonade? EVERYONE! Its very profitable, so almost everyone does it. The thing is, you`ve got to make a better lemonade than anyone else, word will get around. Don`t you dare sell Country Time lemonade. Its got to be fresh squeezed. The customers want to see you make it. Estimating how much product to take is hit and miss. If you over-purchase, do you have an event coming up real soon so as product will not spoil? Good luck!

domromer
  • Total Posts : 77
Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade - Mon, 03/12/12 6:56 PM
Or you could just buy gallons of lemonade form your local grocery store., cut fresh lemons, pour into a dispenser with spigot, and sell for $3 per 16oz cup. 

kennyb
Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade - Mon, 03/12/12 8:05 PM
domromer

Or you could just buy gallons of lemonade form your local grocery store., cut fresh lemons, pour into a dispenser with spigot, and sell for $3 per 16oz cup. 

thats not freeshed sqeezed.

kennyb
Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade - Mon, 03/12/12 8:09 PM
if i were doing that event, i would go with 600-1000. is it a 1 or 2 day event? can you get supplies the next morning? we never go with less than enough material to make 600.  

FriedTater
  • Total Posts : 414
Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade - Mon, 03/12/12 10:46 PM
domromer

If your going to do it, do it right the first time. I`ve seen lots of cups of lemonade thrown in the trash because some yahoo fills a clear, 5 gallon glass jug with Country Time, throws a dozen cut up lemons in it for display, and pushes it out the window bragging its fresh squeezed. Get real. People aren`t stupid. You give a customer the best dang lemonade on the block, you`ve got yourself a walking sales person advertising for you. When I started out, did the same thing. Been there, done that!
War story: trailer next to me was using County Time. Young lady walked by complaining about the taste. Ask her over to my place, took her cup she just purchased, threw it in trash. Made her a REAL lemonade, fresh squeezed. No charge. What did she do? Told her friends how good my ade was.  Walking bill board. Put it in a clear cup so everyone can see it. Put a cherry on top. Use strawberry puree. Brightly colored straw. Be different. Good luck.

RJT
  • Total Posts : 400
Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade - Tue, 03/13/12 6:29 PM
I just bought all the stuff I need to start selling lemonade this week at my cart. I have been wanting to do lemonade ever since I started the HD business. I am going with a clear 32oz cup and offer a few versions.
Regular
Sugar free
Strawberry
Cherry
Blue Rasberry

I use one whole lemon and three heaping table spoons of sugar to make 32 oz.
I am going to charge  between $3.00 and $5.00 depending on location and if they want a flavor added. All flavors add $1.00 extra. The flavors are simply cane sugar snow cone syrup I put in a bottle with a bar type pour spout. Their are many, many snow cone flavors to choose from but I went a few basics and may add ad a few more later.
If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

bartl
  • Total Posts : 1208
Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade - Sat, 03/24/12 11:22 PM
Don't know if you can hack it, but I have seen the following have great success: fresh lemons, limes and oranges, making three kinds of ades, either to order or almost to order (well, they were trying to make it ahead, but it sold as fast as they could make them, at a premium price, too).

Some Greek diners have a lemonade recipe (which I personally call "Greek lemonade" for want of a better name). They take whole cut up lemons and put them in the blender with water, and pour it over ice. The customer sweetens to taste. I'd recommend putting the sugar in the blender.

The point is, if the customer sees the lemonade being made, they will pay a premium price for it. Assuming that you can make it fast enough to turn a profit.

Bart

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9543
Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade - Sun, 03/25/12 5:11 AM
My Bride likes to get fresh squeezed Lemonade at events. I always get mad at paying $3.00 + for a cup of mostly water but buy it for her anyway just to keep her happy.
Why can't she have a $6.00 Beer like the rest of us!!
I guess that's why we've been hitched 52 years!(14 of them happily!)

brickboo
  • Total Posts : 330
Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade - Fri, 03/15/13 5:55 PM
I'm glad Big ChefBubba helped me find this thread. Now I'm going to check out the others. Maybe I can make more money selling lemonade than I'm making selling Hot Dogs which isn't much in this neck of the woods. LOL.

brickboo
Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade - Mon, 06/3/13 5:36 PM
So, has any of you Vendors started with the Lemon Shake-Ups? If so, how is it going. I'd like to know please. I just ordered a Juicer.

I'd also like to know the shelf life of the simple syrup please?
I intend on making the syrup 2 parts sugar to 1 part water and just use like 1/3 cup to a 32oz. cup and fill with bottle filtered or distilled whichever is the best. This way I'm not carrying a bunch of syrup that can spill in the van and spread out and do even more damage to my Van maybe. Also I can use a smaller dispenser and it will take up less room this way than using the 1 part water to the 1 part sugar mix.
Thanks again for all of the help folks!

sillydogz
  • Total Posts : 113
Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade - Mon, 06/3/13 8:10 PM
Good luck boo. I'm saving my cash to buy a juicer and start offering lemonade as well. Let me know how it goes.

Tristan225
  • Total Posts : 350
Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade - Mon, 06/3/13 9:26 PM
I'm making simple syrup right now for sno balls and lemonade this weekend. Lemonade sells pretty well here in loma belinda, especially at events. Here is a recipe for the syrup. http://www.1-800-shaved-i...html    Sugar stirred in to hot water should last a couple weeks, boiled a month, preserved with benzoate and citrus acid about 6 months. put it in the fridge when you get home. You can find containers that wont spill in your car. You may want to consider a small size cup too. Don't be afraid to get a good price for these.

brickboo
Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade - Mon, 06/3/13 10:41 PM
I'm thinking of a 1.5 gal dispenser I saw at Wal Mart's today. That way I can carry a 2 to 1 part sugar to water and it will do a lot of drinks by just adding distilled water. I'd rather carry bottled water than a larger container of simple sugar. This is the way a friend who is successful recommended to make the drinks. If I don't like it I can change to the other system.

I don't expect to make but a few dollars a day at my location. I want more Auctions, Horse shows and Marathons.
Thanks for all of the suggestions, I will consider all possibilities.

brickboo
Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade - Sat, 06/8/13 3:58 PM
So, I suppose the "Lemon Shake Ups" is more of a novelty than a real business for most hot dog vendors. I really only know one Vendor that sells them on a regular basis at his regular location.
Not very encouraging to say the least.

I'm sure I can sell a few at special events including my Auctions. I have one coming up and I'll try it in July. I'm thinking one day will pay for the juicer and the other expenses. 

Man, if any of you folks are doing "OK" with "Lemon Shake Ups" I wish you'd speak up and help the rest of us out. 

sillydogz
  • Total Posts : 113
Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade - Sat, 06/8/13 8:57 PM
Boo, I plan on adding them once I get some cash flow going and can buy the equipment. I know other vendors in the area do it and seem to sell quite a bit. I've also read on another thread somewhere that it can boost your carts sales by as much as 100 a day.

Tristan225
  • Total Posts : 350
Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade - Sat, 06/8/13 10:25 PM
Jesus dude, how many ways do you want to hear it can be VERY PROFITABLE! If you think you CAN'T - YOUR PROBABLY RIGHT! I just sold 75+ today at a price of $3.50-$5.00 in 3 hours. I talked to a guy at Restaurant Depot this week that was buying 6 cases of lemons and 20, 25 lb. bags of sugar. For a one day event. A previous post talked about how someone takes enough for 600 to an event. If you don't really want it to work than don't try! No it's not a NOVELTY!     quote=brickboo]

So, I suppose the "Lemon Shake Ups" is more of a novelty than a real business for most hot dog vendors. I really only know one Vendor that sells them on a regular basis at his regular location.
Not very encouraging to say the least.

I'm sure I can sell a few at special events including my Auctions. I have one coming up and I'll try it in July. I'm thinking one day will pay for the juicer and the other expenses. 

Man, if any of you folks are doing "OK" with "Lemon Shake Ups" I wish you'd speak up and help the rest of us out. 

brickboo
Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade - Sat, 06/8/13 10:52 PM
Tristan,
I wanted to know if anyone new started Lemon Shake Ups and was doing any good. I guess I didn't explain myself correctly. I'm sure I can do well at events and Auctions.

I was more concerned about street corner or parking lot vending daily for the sale of the Lemon Shake Ups.
Sorry I upset you friend,
Boo

mikejames533
  • Total Posts : 99
Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade - Sat, 06/8/13 10:59 PM

Brickboo what info do you need? You don't have to start out with the expensive squeezer! You could start out with a bar muddler about $4.00 to smash your lemons. It's how bartenders smash lemons and limes. I always keep one with us in case our squeezer brakes.
Go to Walmart and get a few Ziplock brand 32oz containers with a screw on lid. Use these for the shakeup.  It's easy to use and be sure to put on a little show with the shake! That's what we call a little flash for the cash. lol

Number one seller is lemonade. Two is cherry lemonade. Three is strawberry lemonade. You could also try lemon/limeade.
You may find you sell many more lemonade's then dogs. The lemonade may also help you draw them in for more hotdog sells.
Now get out there and sell lemonade man!

C2CD
  • Total Posts : 189
Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade - Sat, 06/8/13 11:02 PM
brickboo

Tristan,
I wanted to know if anyone new started Lemon Shake Ups and was doing any good. I guess I didn't explain myself correctly. I'm sure I can do well at events and Auctions.

I was more concerned about street corner or parking lot vending daily for the sale of the Lemon Shake Ups.
Sorry I upset you friend,
Boo

I think your best bet would be to not worry about lemonade, do the shake ups but only at special events, I.E. festivals, fairs ,auctions, horse shows. then you will have better luck. and Good Luck 
<message edited by HotDogMafia on Sat, 06/8/13 11:03 PM>

brickboo
Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade - Sun, 06/9/13 8:36 AM
Thanks for all of the suggestions. Hot dog sales here so far are minimal other than my Auctions, a Horse Show and a Marathon I've done.
Mike,
That would be great if it would turn out that I'd sell more Lemon Shake Ups than dogs. I'd look busier and perhaps at least a few people would stop by to check me out and I would sell more dogs too.

Mike your reply is very helpful. I already got a nice heavy duty manual juicer for $60 including shipping. The Zip Loc 32oz containers are the way to go. I'm going to get my old Hula Hoop out and practice that and doing the Shake Up at the same time. I wonder if I could play my sax and do the Shake Up at the same time.
Thanks Mike!!!!

chicagostyledog
  • Total Posts : 3218
Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade - Sun, 06/9/13 10:40 AM
During the early days of Hot Dog University in Milwaukee, we sold fresh squeezed lemonade shake-ups off a table next to the hot dog cart. Using only one juicer, we averaged 40 drinks an hour at $3/drink. An important component to vending is proper marketing. Without this, you're dead in the water. I used a green and yellow umbrella and a 12X24 lemonade tin sign. www.freshsqueezedlemonade.com The money spent on these was made back in less than 2 hours of selling lemonade and it makes your business look like a pro. The same holds true for vending hot dogs. Branding with a company and using their professional marketing materials (hats, aprons, shirts, signs, and umbrellas) does make a difference in sales.

CSD
Invading LA in July

kennyb
Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade - Sun, 06/9/13 10:49 AM
just sold 500 and heading back out today.
why do I double post every time?

mikejames533
Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade - Sun, 06/9/13 6:19 PM
Your welcome Brickboo. If you have the squeezer already, get them added to your cart...Your offering something(fresh squeezed lemonade) they can't get at very many places!

+1 on what chicagostyledog said. Branding and P.O.P (MARKETING MATERIALS) are very important to the success of your business. A lemonade sign, banner, decals, or a display can sure help sales. A hanging basket filled with lemons. One of our trailer windows has a neat pile of lemons displayed.

brickboo
Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade - Sun, 06/9/13 6:56 PM
I've been making the drink and experimenting. My son and I liked them best when we used the recipe for a 32oz Shake Up, but only made a 24oz drink. Man it tasted like what my Mom made when I was a kid. We didn't know a thing about nutrition and health. We just ate and drank what we wanted. We like it lemony and sweet.

Mike are you using regular lemons or grapefruit size lemons? Lol!
<message edited by brickboo on Sun, 06/9/13 6:57 PM>

jcheese
  • Total Posts : 739
Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade - Sun, 06/9/13 7:16 PM
Boo, the Lemonade may bring in the folks that may not stop for dogs at yer Walgreens spot. Then you sell them a dog.
Don't forget the price of cups and "clean" ice.

brickboo
Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade - Sun, 06/9/13 8:29 PM
Jack,
You think the ice bagged from McDonalds will work? I still get the jitters when I think of the HD here. They could be doing Shake Ups all over the whole Earth and they still may not permit it here.

C2CD
Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade - Sun, 06/9/13 9:19 PM
Anyone got a copycat recipe for chick fil a's Lemonade? They have the best lemonade, if I could get a recipe like that I would start selling some shake-ups 

brickboo
Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade - Sun, 06/9/13 10:30 PM
Either this topic or a link somewhere in this topic has info about the chic-fil-a lemonade. 

mikejames533
Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade - Sun, 06/9/13 11:11 PM
Most of the time we sell 24oz lemonades. Some events we bump up the size to 32oz to match other vendors. We just use the regular sized lemons. We use 1/2 a lemon per glass...and sell our fresh squeezed lemonade shake-ups for $3 to $5 depending on event.

C2CD
Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade - Sun, 06/9/13 11:40 PM
brickboo

Either this topic or a link somewhere in this topic has info about the chic-fil-a lemonade. 

Sunkist brand lemons and powdered (granulated) sugar is about all I can find. The brand lemon can't make that much of a difference can it? I could see if it was a different variety of lemon or some kind of cross bred strain of lemon, but the brand? Really?
So where does one get sunkist lemons in bulk for cheap?

Sun Spot
  • Total Posts : 17
Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade - Sun, 08/18/13 4:41 PM
I regularly sell fresh squeezed lemonade during the warmer months.  Last year I put ice, half a fresh squeezed lemon, sugar water and did the public shake dance.  Two problems.  The first was when we were busy customers would walk to other vendors rather than wait for the lemonade.  The second is the lemons are not consistent from box to box, even if I stick to the same size.  So one day it is too sweet, another day it is too sour.

So now we make our lemonade by the batch.  But, we continue to cut and squeeze the lemons we use right in front of the customer.  And in addition to the lemons being visible, often our box lemon rinds is visible too, in a clean way.  We taste test to make sure it isn't too sweet or too sour.  We do add lemon rind to the cup, but not the full half, it makes it too difficult to get the straw in.

And in Washington State you are to wash your lemons in running water (in your commissary) before cutting.  That is new this year, we used to be able to rinse them in a bucket in the booth.  I've had health inspectors make sure I'm not putting washed lemons back in the box they came in without a liner.  I put a garbage can liner in the box, and put the washed lemons back in the liner, so no more problem. 

Coaches Kettle Corn
  • Total Posts : 6
Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade - Tue, 08/20/13 11:58 PM
Guys, I do tons of Lemonades (Coaches Kettle Corn and Gourmet Concessions on facebook )  I have a recipe I use and it beats any mix out there. 
1 Whole lemon
1/4 cup of sugar
Wal Mart screw type container..
Ice
Water
 Grab your container.. put in the sugar..Juice the whole lemon (we cut it in half)..add ice..water.. Shake it..
We sell 24 oz cups for $4 here in KC..

nshaw65
  • Total Posts : 25
Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade - Wed, 08/21/13 6:10 AM
That's the exact same recipe that I use. I get a lot of compliments on how good the lemonade is. Only difference is I use a bar shaker to shake up the lemon and sugar water mix and then pour it in the cup full of ice. People love it. I sell a 32 oz cup for $4.00 and refills for $3.00. The only drawback with lemonade is that it's labor intensive. If your at a busy location with a line of people, you need a helper to keep the line moving.

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 61 to 109 of 109