World's 50 best restaurants

Filet Mignon
2010/04/28 08:51:37

Of the top 50 restaurants in the world only one is in the USA, with all the great chefs in this country I find that very hard to believe?

# (7) Alinea (Chicago, Illinois)

World's 50 best restaurants list released

http://www.cnn.com/2010/L...restaurants/index.html

Greymo
Filet Mignon
Re:World's 50 best restaurants 2010/04/28 09:01:20
I counted five as being in the United States.
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:World's 50 best restaurants 2010/04/28 09:18:07
Your right my bad, I buzzed through the list and kept seeing all the foreign countries. But 10% of the top 50 isn't very good in my mind. My apologies on the error.
BelRose
Hamburger
Re:World's 50 best restaurants 2010/04/28 09:25:56
Actually 8 in the US.  I liked Alinea, but thought that Per Se far out classed it, and I would put Cyrus (CA), Komi (DC), and Town House (VA) well ahead of WD~50 (a fun restaurant to be sure, but not worthy of this list).
I also cannot understand why St. John always makes these lists, it is good, but Fergus's protégés are far outpacing him, especially the young man that opened Hereford Road.
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
Re:World's 50 best restaurants 2010/04/28 10:16:54
Per Se at #10 and French Laundry at #32 is ludicrous.
Ice Cream Man
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:World's 50 best restaurants 2010/04/28 10:43:12
No Canadians. They must be trying to tell us something.
BelRose
Hamburger
Re:World's 50 best restaurants 2010/04/28 11:02:35
Ice Cream Man

No Canadians. They must be trying to tell us something.

According to the CBC, Rouge (Calgary) and Langdon Hall (Cambridge, Ont.) made the Top 100 list.
Ice Cream Man
Re:World's 50 best restaurants 2010/04/29 05:07:07

Ice Cream Man
Re:World's 50 best restaurants 2010/04/29 05:15:42
Well that didn't work.
The head line today was.
Calgary restaurant cracks best 100 list.

Just struck me as funny and maybe typically Canadian, that Doc was dismayed that there only seemed to be one American restaurant in the top 50 we seem excited to have one or two in the top 100.
WyldeChef
Hamburger
Re:World's 50 best restaurants 2010/04/29 16:47:34
Someone has to come in last. I applaud Canada for their seeming lack of aspiration. I believe their ability to fly under the radar is to be commended.
saps
Re:World's 50 best restaurants 2010/04/29 17:02:45
MiamiDon

Per Se at #10 and French Laundry at #32 is ludicrous.

Indubitably.  I concur.  How bourgeois.
Ice Cream Man
Re:World's 50 best restaurants 2010/04/29 17:58:36
We weren't last, after all we did make the top 100.
tmiles
Re:World's 50 best restaurants 2012/07/31 19:16:25
The recent issue of VGN, a vegetable growers trade magazine, has a cover story on a farm that grows special vegetables, mostly greens. It is a fairly large 600 acre operation. Most of their product is delivered via FedEx/next day, to the very top restaurants, around the country, and the world.

I don't like to pay more than 2 or 3  dollars for a salad, so I will not be eating at any of their customers anytime soon! Food cost alone for some of these "salads" can be $15 to $30 or more.

Go figure!
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:World's 50 best restaurants 2012/08/01 08:46:38
In Illinois as a lot of states this time of year I get calls every day from friends that offer home grown cucumbers, tomatoes, lettuce, spinach, garlic, and tons of other fresh grown vegies for free.

And I have always had serious doubts about the percentage of the population that shop at the farmers market for fruits and vegetables. Even though every radio TV and newspaper in our area promotes the farmers markets FOR FREE, most folks don't have the time to drive across town, park and walk up and down a two block stretch to get some fresh vegetables. Especially at an inflated price. 

Now if I could get a fresh Illinois grown tomato in January I'd pay dearly. lol
RestaurantBiz
Junior Burger
Re:World's 50 best restaurants 2012/08/01 11:32:43
What defines "best"? Isn't this rather subjective?
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:World's 50 best restaurants 2012/08/01 12:09:30
It's their best list.

"Organised by Restaurant magazine, World's 50 Best Restaurants list is an annual snapshot of the opinions and experiences of over 800 international restaurant industry experts. What constitutes "best" is left to the judgment of these trusted and well-travelled gourmets."

Here's the list for 2012

http://www.theworlds50best.com/
post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/08/01 12:23:15
pnwchef
Re:World's 50 best restaurants 2012/08/01 12:43:22
Thats a great list for the 2%ers, now lets make up a list for the 98%ers...You know, the Restaurants you don't have to tap into your 401K or kids collage fund to have dinner...............If your paying $125 to $175 per person the Dam food better be good............

The French Laundry in Napa Valley, dinner for two with wine & Tip.....$762.00 .................Get Real, I would pay that if I was having dinner with Obama at the White House........Lets get a real list of the best restaurants..............
roadkillgrill
Cheeseburger
Re:World's 50 best restaurants 2012/08/01 12:48:45
One man's meat, is another man's poison...
I never want to be the best of anything, then you have nothing to work toward.

I don't even participate in the local 'Best of' because this one is run by the newspaper and is based on advertising.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:World's 50 best restaurants 2012/08/01 13:15:56
Local Farmers Markets are popular in this area. When compared to some of the ridiculous prices that are found in the Supermaket for fruits and vegetables that have little to no taste...they are great. Especially when you drink fresh juice every morning. Such a difference.
Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
Re:World's 50 best restaurants 2012/08/01 15:30:24

I'll take a Frank Pepe Apizza or a Sunrise Biscuit Kitchen chicken biscuit any day over those on the list ... even if someone else was paying.  I just don't enjoy the pretentiousness and odd dishes that are reflections of the chef's ego that are often found at those types of places. 

Glenn

saps
Re:World's 50 best restaurants 2012/08/01 15:33:59
pnwchef

Thats a great list for the 2%ers, now lets make up a list for the 98%ers...You know, the Restaurants you don't have to tap into your 401K or kids collage fund to have dinner...............If your paying $125 to $175 per person the Dam food better be good............

The French Laundry in Napa Valley, dinner for two with wine & Tip.....$762.00 .................Get Real, I would pay that if I was having dinner with Obama at the White House........Lets get a real list of the best restaurants..............

There are far more lists for best burgers, breakfasts, bbq and the like for everyone.  What is the problem with someone putting together a list of the Top 50 restaurants in the world, and who cares what it costs?  If someone has worked for their money, has made a lot of it, and wants to spend it that way, I don't see a problem- or do we need to redistribute the wealth so that everyone can go?
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:World's 50 best restaurants 2012/08/01 15:43:16
Momofuku Ssam Bar in NYC made the list. They have a 3-course (appetizer entree dessert) weekend lunch...for $25.

Hahaha pretentiousness. Just go to the fast food & restaurant chains section and see how that applies when someone says their favorite restaurant is The Olive Garden or something like it or an article about a chain goes up...and people scoff.
post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/08/01 16:02:27
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:World's 50 best restaurants 2012/08/01 20:04:54
Le Chateaubriand (Paris) is not that expensive, but is excellent indeed.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:World's 50 best restaurants 2012/08/01 21:04:25
Between Restaurant weeks (which last at least 3 weeks several times a year) and dine for a cause which includes several courses at a deep discount with a portion going to charity...you can easily dine at any NYC listing for the same or less than attending a concert....with a bunch of aging rockers.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:World's 50 best restaurants 2012/08/02 09:51:42
BelRose

Actually 8 in the US.  I liked Alinea, but thought that Per Se far out classed it, and I would put Cyrus (CA), Komi (DC), and Town House (VA) well ahead of WD~50 (a fun restaurant to be sure, but not worthy of this list).
I also cannot understand why St. John always makes these lists, it is good, but Fergus's protégés are far outpacing him, especially the young man that opened Hereford Road.

As we still keep a place in McLean I noted with interest your mentioning Town House which we had never heard of/tried.  Sadly, it seems that their chefs departed and the restautant closed earlier this year.

My Virginia favorite has, since the '80's, been Patrick O'Connell's Inn at Little Washington.  The fact that it dropped off the "World's Best" list in the mid-2000's has more to do with fashion than the quality of the food or the dining experience and ambiance that Chef O'Connell has continued to provide at "world class" levels. 

Not only that, the presence of his venerable establishment has led to a number of stellar country restaurants finding success in the small towns of the Piedmont.  Even today, given the choice of being a guest at The Inn or the French Laundry I would choose The Inn.   

Molecular, schlomecular; O'Connell is still a Chef of the first rank.  The fact that he has not diluted his work or diverted his attention by opening in Vegas or NYC only makes him more so. 
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2012/08/02 09:58:36