remembering the Stateline hotdog cart

Junior Burger
2010/05/03 11:16:29
I've tried for a long time to duplicate the great taste of the chilidogs sold by a cart on the Indiana/Illinois Stateline in Calumet City,IL. The secret (I think) was in the very thin chili liquid/sauce that he would top off the sandwich. This was in the late 50's and earlf 60's.  This same man eventually opened a small restaurant also on Stateline for a short time I think.  Anyone who remembers and could help me reproduce this chilidog would be my hero for life!
Jack  
David_NYC
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:remembering the Stateline hotdog cart 2010/05/03 12:05:17
Welcome to Roadfood, Jack!

Unfortunately, we get very few replies to these requests for information for food served 50 years ago. I know I am still trying to find out something about Topp's frozen pizza from the early 70's.

Perhaps if you gave more details, such as cross streets on State Line Rd, it might jog someone's memory. There are also several threads on recipes for chili sauce here in the Recipes and Cooking Techniques Forum.
jackr8
Junior Burger
Re:remembering the Stateline hotdog cart 2010/05/03 17:36:35
Thanks for the tip.  Yeah I know it was a long shot.  It was located about 2 or 3 blocks from the infamous State Street where the strip clubs were at.  I remember Topps as a place for huge icecream treats like sodas and sundaes.  I think it was in the Evergreen shopping center.
David_NYC

Welcome to Roadfood, Jack!

Unfortunately, we get very few replies to these requests for information for food served 50 years ago. I know I am still trying to find out something about Topp's frozen pizza from the early 70's.

Perhaps if you gave more details, such as cross streets on State Line Rd, it might jog someone's memory. There are also several threads on recipes for chili sauce here in the Recipes and Cooking Techniques Forum.