Where should I eat around Amhurst - Northampton area of Mass.?

dcnussbaum
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
Where should I eat around Amhurst - Northampton area of Mass.? - Wed, 05/5/10 1:38 PM
I will be in the Amhurst - Northampton area of Mass. towards the end of the month. Looking for a good diner and/or (fresh) seafood options. Can anyone recommend a place? Also, am willing to take a "mini" roadtrip to anywhere worth driving to..
<message edited by dcnussbaum on Wed, 05/5/10 4:02 PM>

BelRose
  • Total Posts : 65
Re:Where should I eat? - Wed, 05/5/10 2:11 PM
I would drive north to Middlebury Vermont for American Flatbread, south to Fairfield for a Super Duper Weenie, or to New Haven for either Pete's or Sally's. 

dcnussbaum
Re:Where should I eat? - Wed, 05/5/10 2:49 PM
Thanks, BelRose - appreciate the info!

rumaki
  • Total Posts : 967
Re:Where should I eat? - Wed, 05/5/10 3:33 PM
A friendly suggestion -- you are likely to get more answers if you add the location to the heading for this thread.

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17805
Re:Where should I eat? - Wed, 05/5/10 3:40 PM
dcnussbaum

That would be Pepe's, not Pete's.

BelRose
  • Total Posts : 65
Re:Where should I eat? - Wed, 05/5/10 4:02 PM
Michael Hoffman

dcnussbaum

That would be Pepe's, not Pete's.

Thank you, I should have known better, there is a New Haven place in DC called Pete's that is nowhere near as good - for whatever reason that was on my brain when I wrote this.

TnTinCT
  • Total Posts : 442
Re:Where should I eat? - Thu, 05/6/10 11:26 AM
WhereGreggeats organized a great meat up a while back in this area - this next thread has some info on favorites in that area. You might also want to search the forum for Western Massachusetts and a bunch of ideas has been posted in past.
 http://www.roadfood.com/F...=western+massachusetts

fatheryod
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:Where should I eat around Amhurst - Northampton area of Mass.? - Fri, 05/7/10 8:16 AM
well, there's not that much in the way of excellent seafood here, as we are about as landbound as you can get, but my wife swears that the lobster roll available at williamsburg snack bar is one of the best she's ever eaten anywhere, and believe me she has eaten her share. it's only available fri - sun, but the roadside shack also has nice dogs + burgers + whatnot. i am parricularly keen on the williamsburger, which is a patty topped with coleslaw + a couple of onion rings. the place is located at 93 Main St Haydenville, MA 01039, which is route 9, west of northampton. a good spot.
my fave diner in the area -- for food, not necessarily the decor -- is either the look restaurant in leeds (410 N Main St
Leeds, MA ) it's open breakfast/lunch 'til about 3 PM i think and has solid diner fare. this is also on rte 9, west of northampton (these small towns run into each other). there are a few more classic diners around -- bluebonnet in northampton ( (324 King Street Northampton, MA 01060-2333 (413) 584-3333; 6 AM - 11 PM daily) which i'm not crazy about food-wise, but it's a hep place. there's also the miss florence diner (99 Main Street Florence, MA 01062-1478 - (413) 584-3137) -- this is also rte 9 west of noho -- which also has a better look than food. both these spots might be best for a cup of joe and a look-see. there us also kathy's diner in northampton (6 Strong Ave Northampton, MA 01060) which i haven't been to since it was the red lion. but it's there and i think is still open for breakfast/lunch. the only other proper diner right local is the whately fillin' station ( (372 State Road
South Deerfield, MA 01373 (413) 665-3696) which is open 24 hours. again haven't been for a while, but it's okay. there are a good selection of burger/dog places locally, but you didn't ask. the old school seafood places that were stand-by's around here are long gone. closest current approx is webster's fish hook in northampton (391 Damon Rd Northampton, MA 01060 413-586-3190) but i haven't been there since they listed their french fries as freedom fries.

for amherst, there's not much excellent roadfood fare in the downtown area. but there's a very good irish pub/fish & chips place just to the north of downtown -- the harp ( it's especially nice in warm weather, since they have a deck out back. and if you like beer, i highly suggest the moan & dove in south amherst ( it has an outpost in northampton as wellm called dirty truth ( dirty truth has food as well -- quite good pub fare -- and can be tad hard to find as there's no sign out front.

hope this helps
good eatin'

fy

billyboy
  • Total Posts : 2363
Re:Where should I eat around Amhurst - Northampton area of Mass.? - Fri, 05/7/10 9:30 AM
dcnussbaum - Welcome to Roadfood!!  Here is the link to the report I wrote for the Western MA meet-up last year:  http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=512620&high=bartley's

The first half is about my stops in Boston, Cambridge and Somerville and the second half covers the meet-up in Western MA.  If you have a chance, try the ice cream at Herrell's.  Great stuff.  Happy Eating!

dcnussbaum
Re:Where should I eat around Amhurst - Northampton area of Mass.? - Fri, 05/7/10 10:52 AM
Fatheryod,

Thanks so much for the detailed information. It helps a lot!

dcnussbaum
Re:Where should I eat around Amhurst - Northampton area of Mass.? - Fri, 05/7/10 10:53 AM
Gratas, too, billyboy!

Bearadise
  • Total Posts : 55
Re:Where should I eat around Amhurst - Northampton area of Mass.? - Mon, 06/14/10 7:49 AM
dcnussbaum

I will be in the Amhurst - Northampton area of Mass. towards the end of the month. Looking for a good diner and/or (fresh) seafood options. Can anyone recommend a place? Also, am willing to take a "mini" roadtrip to anywhere worth driving to..
<message edited by dcnussbaum on Wed, 05/5/10 4:02 PM>

Well, seeing as how you edited the message not to long ago, are you coming back again?
If yes, give the Route 9 Diner in Hadley, Mass a try. Here's a link www -DOT- route9diner -DOT- com when you cut and past the link, just change -DOT- back into a "." and it'll work.

Rich

tmiles
  • Total Posts : 1908
Re:Where should I eat around Amhurst - Northampton area of Mass.? - Mon, 04/11/11 2:11 PM
Yesterday we stopped by the little Hungry Ghost bakery next to the Smith College main campus. This place is smaller than some living rooms. It is in a free standing brick building, and the sales area is in a corner of the room dominated by a big bee hive oven. It looks to be out of a living history musem like Old Sturbridge Village or Colonial Williamsburg.  www.hungryghostbread.com  This is a place worth going to!

<message edited by tmiles on Mon, 04/11/11 2:19 PM>

tmiles
  • Total Posts : 1908
Re:Where should I eat around Amhurst - Northampton area of Mass.? - Tue, 10/2/12 2:18 PM
I've also been impressed with "Wheatberries" a small scratch bakery in Amherst across the street from the Dickinson property (down the street a little from the Dickinson house). All local ingredients, made by hand, makes for a small and expensive selection.