1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ

Change Page: < 123456 | Showing page 6 of 6, messages 301 to 345 of 345
Art Deco
  • Total Posts : 890
  • Reward points : 0
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ - Wed, 05/26/04 10:25 AM
Interesting article. Here is a link to the review of Hay's Smokehouse, which was done the previous week...

http://www.bgdailynews.com/articles/stories/public/200405/13/0dq4_Features.html

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13405
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ - Wed, 05/26/04 3:32 PM
Pogo: The article very accurately describes Hayes, which is among the best BBQ I have ever tried.

I am glad the guy writing the article picked up on the cleanliness of the place.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

wilewil
  • Total Posts : 99
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ - Fri, 05/28/04 11:07 AM
Is Otts still open in Dixie Lee Jct? I thought they were the best BBQ in Kville. Alas,I hear they are not.

Sundancer7
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ - Tue, 06/1/04 6:34 PM
last time I drove by Otts, they appeared closed to me. I have not tried their place in years.

I sincerely wish that Knoxville had a decent BBQ place. Many have tried but so far, I have not found any that I like.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15075
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ - Wed, 06/9/04 10:16 AM
Folks,
We visited Sundancer yesterday and took a ride around the Smokies for the day. One of the places we visited was Benton's Smoky Mountains Country Hams, in Madisonville TN. It was a real eye-opener of a stop. The fellow's there were as friendly and helpful as Dennis Hays is down at his Whole Hog BBQ in Lexinton. They took us on a walk around in the curing rooms, pointing out the timing and the care given to the hams that they cure. We bought some Seasoning Chunks and some Proscuitto(sp?) for snacking on the road. It is Outstanding. I now know what country-ham is supposed to taste like !! They do mail-order also. If you are in that area, drop by and see for yourself, it is a process worth watching (and eating).
Sauceman, Alan Benton the Owner of the place sends his regards!

Aaron Deacon
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ - Wed, 06/9/04 2:44 PM
Man, this makes a recent Chicago BBQ (such as it is) exploration look like small potatoes. (http://www.chowhound.com/midwest/boards/chicago7/messages/36833.html)But what about Tennesse BBQ that's somewhat more centrally located...We'll be traveling down I-65 to Nashville and then taking I-24 to Manchester--any standout spots along that route, or not too far off. I don't think I'd be able to persuade my companions to detour to Hays', but an hour or so out of the way might be manageable. Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Loveless Cafe sounds like a possibility, but I would like some BBQ options as well.

Thanks,

Aaron

Art Deco
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ - Thu, 06/10/04 10:42 AM
Two "en-route" barbecue rec's:

Smokin' Ed's -- About ten minutes from I-24 in Smyrna, TN. Take Exit 70 (Smyrna/Almaville Rd) left toward Smyrna. Exit onto Murfreesboro Road toward Murfreesboro. Smokin' Ed's is on the right a mile or so down the road. This is a very small, take-out only joint with very large smokers out front. Roll your window down on the approach and you will not miss it as the hickory smoke will be rolling. They barbecue shoulders here (pulled, not chopped) and get a lot of good smoke flavor into their meat. Best bet here is to get a couple of sandwiches (unsauced) and ask for a small container of mild & of hot sauce to take with. The meat really doesn't need sauce, but when I use sauce here, I tend to mix the two heats to a medium. Your mileage may vary. (BTW, I frequently drive to this joint when I take a notion at lunch, passing by two others to get there). Also, there is a review of Smokin' Ed's on Holly Moore's site (www.hollyeats.com).

Slick Pig Barbecue -- A bit harder to get to, but well worth the search. Slick Pig is located at 1920 E. Main Street in Murfreesboro in what appears to be an old converted grocery store. The thing to get at the Slick Pig is their hickory-smoked chicken wings. They serve them rather like buffalo wings, but just ignore the blue cheese dressing (or use it for dipping the celery if they provide any). These wings are absolutely delicious and packed with a lush smokiness that is hard to describe. Slick Pig has pulled pork (not as good as Smokin' Ed's), as well as ribs, brunswick stew and fried pies. Those things are all good, but the wings are special and worth seeking out.

Also, on the way to the Slick Pig is one of my favorite meat & three restaurants, the Kleer-Vu Lunchroom located at 226 S. Highland Ave. in Murfreesboro. Cafeteria-line soul food accompanied by their excellent hot-water cornbread. Get whichever meat dish includes gravy, add a couple of side dishes and ignore dessert. It works really well to eat lunch at the Kleer-Vu and then swing by the Slick Pig for some wings to go (dessert and later snacking). Though be forewarned that staying out of the wings once you have smelled them is extremely difficult...

Have a great time (and I hope the Bonnaroo traffic is better this year -- it has been horrendous in the past)...

Aaron Deacon
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ - Thu, 06/17/04 3:21 PM
Thanks, pogophiles, for the tip. We did hit Smokin' Ed's on the return trip for some pulled pork, and it was delicious. I posted a bit more about the trip here: http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?p=2143&highlight=#2143.

Traffic was pretty miserable. Heading in we did circle around and take 55 up to Manchester. We arrived at the entrance about 7:30 am and got to our campsite about 12:30 pm. The 55 route, though, did save us, because some folks who arrived at our campsite right when we did took I-24 and had to wait an extra three or four hours. Coming back, we had about four hours to get to I-24. The first two hours were spent within 20 feet of our campsite, as they were trying to stagger the exits from various lots. It was a great trip, though. I appreciate your help.

Art Deco
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ - Fri, 06/18/04 1:22 AM
Glad it worked out for you Aaron. Sounds like you had a great time (traffic notwithstanding) and I very much enjoyed the longer write-up that you linked to. While it's certainly not a typical destination place, I like the people & the food at Smoking Ed's -- fortunately it's only about 15 minutes from work, so I can get there pretty easily when I "take a notion" (driving by at least 2 lesser 'cue places to get there). Let me know if you make it back down this way and I can point you to some other places worth checking out...

Sundancer7
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ - Sat, 09/18/04 2:45 PM
The Mayor is leading a group to Hays in early October. I understand that Bushie, Poverty and Pogo will be there. I truly wish to be there and I hope that I can. In my opinion, Hays is one of the finest in the USA.

I recall that the last time I was there, I had the combination of chopped, ribs and middling. Gee Whez, it was good.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Art Deco
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ - Fri, 10/8/04 5:25 PM
And then several months later on the eve of the HamFest occupation comes...

Trip Report volume 4:

Stop #4
We rocketed out of the My Three Son's parking lot like hellhounds were nipping at our heels (and feeling the need for a long soak in a hot tub, or at least a quick shower). Unfortunately we were even more full now than before, so I charted a course to take us to the Jack's Creek community via a roundabout route through Garland Bottom, over the middle fork of the Forked Deer river, up Needmore Road by my grandparent's farm, and the dwelling places of various other assorted Pogo-related cousins, aunts, and uncles. After this bucolic diversion we were soon facing yet another barbecue joint: Old Fashioned BBQ. A note on the name here: this place used to be known as Bobby's, but was bought out by Bobby's son (Chad), who re-named it Bobby's Old Fashioned BBQ. They have since transitioned away the old name dropping "Bobby's".
This particular location has had a barbecuing operation for as long as I can remember. I always think of barbecue when I hear the name Jack's Creek, as there has been good barbecue available there for as long as I have been alive. As a kid, we always stopped for barbecue at Crow & Sons (which was at the location now occupied by Joyner's, a mile or so up the road from Old Fashioned BBQ), back in the days when they were strictly wood-burning. The pit where Old Fashioned BBQ now stands was open air (and therefore, seasonal) for many years. At some point a building was put up and it is currently being put to very good use.
We pulled into the parking lot at Old Fashioned BBQ and got out. The pit was definitely in operation and that smoky aroma was never more welcome. A huge woodpile was immediately apparent and a fire could be soon producing more coals under a curving metal cover around back. Feeling somewhat cheered we went inside. The contrast to My Three Son's was immediate and welcome: clean floors, clean walls, clean tables, no stale cigarette smoke, just that sweet hickory perfume from out back. We went through our routine of giving them a print-out, ordering some food and attempting to engage the folks behind the counter in conversation. I believe this was the only place where we encountered someone who has been hired to manage the restaurant rather than the owner.
I continued with my routine of regular sandwich with slaw on the side. Pulled pork on the sandwiches here, tender meat, lots of good smoky flavor. Another red slaw place -- I liked it better than Jimmy's, though I believe JimInKy did not.
After filling our orders (and dealing with a couple of other customers) the manager (whose name I have unforgivably mis-placed) came around to sit and talk with us a while. Very nice guy and quite informative. From all indications, business is booming as they have expanded to the point that they are now a 7 days a week operation. We were given a tour of the pits which are of the traditional extremely manual built-up cinder-block variety. Touring the pits here reminds you of why whole-hog barbecuing is such hard back-breaking work. You're either lifting a split hog, chopping wood, or shoveling coals. I have a lot of respect for the people that can do this kind of work…

Sundancer7
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ - Fri, 10/8/04 9:57 PM
Pogophiles, I am impressed that your recall is so accurate. You did good and your assessment of "My Three Sons" was right on. It was a dump and I found absolutely nothing that impressed me. The hygiene stunk and everything after that got worse.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2266
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ - Sat, 10/9/04 4:43 PM
Al, Janet, Bushie and I were at Hays' yesterday. Dennis Hays was his usual gracious, friendly self. The Q was as good as before. Today we had lunch at the Moonlite. Ah, does the bar-b-que never end? In between, we tanked up on country ham, although oddly enough, country is very difficult to find at the country ham festival. Go figure!

mayor al
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ - Sat, 10/9/04 6:15 PM
Piggy-Backing (no pun) on Pete's comments. We enjoyed Mr Hays Hospitality thru a busy lunch hour on Friday. When things calmed down a bit he took us out back and gave us, for Janet's benefite, the full explanation of the Whole-Hog type of cooking. I had missed one important set of numbers the first time around...or misunderstood them. He says that a Pig with a 'walking-around weight of 250-265 lbs, will dress out for the BBQ at about 175-180 lbs. After the cooking process is completed they will usually glean about 55 lbs of Pulled Pork from that Pig.
I will testify that his Pulled Pork and Ribs are outstanding in flavor and texture. No Sauce or dry seasoning is needed. Just that pure BBQ smoky flavor!
Mr Hays acknowledged that many folks have commented on hearing about his place from readers of these posts. That's great. Word of Mouth advertising is the best kind...and helps build credibility for the site also.

We were a bit let-down when we walked the Country Ham festival area in Cadiz KY looking for something connected to the title product. No Such Luck. No vendors had any for sale in any form on a busy friday evening. We found some Hocks and Slices at the Broadbent Store by our Motel, but the Festival is/was a Bust. We would not recommend it for visitors from anywhere further away than the Trigg County High School, the source of most of the attendees last night.

Tomorrow, Sunday, Bushie and I will journey to Cincinnati to visit Jungle Jim's and see what we can find there. Further bulletins will be added shortly.

carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ - Wed, 10/20/04 12:28 PM
DRove by Smokey's BBQ on Middlebrook Pike this morning and it appears it is closed, defunct.

carl reitz

Sundancer7
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ - Wed, 10/20/04 1:25 PM
quote:
Originally posted by carlton pierre

DRove by Smokey's BBQ on Middlebrook Pike this morning and it appears it is closed, defunct.

carl reitz

I tried Smokey's about a year ago and I could tell then that it was going down the tube. It was owned a man for foreign origin and it appeared that his managment skills were limited and his BBQ was not a quality product.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

ExtraMSG
  • Total Posts : 66
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ - Wed, 11/17/04 3:20 AM
Very cool. I hit a few places, unfortunately on a Sunday, in Memphis this last year.

See here:

extramsg.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=26

Central's ribs were my favorite ribs of the whole trip, including KC, and some of the best ribs I've had. Here's a pic:

Bushie
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ - Wed, 11/17/04 8:18 AM
Love your website, ExtraMSG!

ExtraMSG
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ - Wed, 11/17/04 2:21 PM
Thanks. I wish I had more time to put into it and more time put BBQ in my belly.

carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ - Wed, 11/17/04 2:36 PM
ExtraMSG, I assume that pic was not taken when the ribs were brought to you, but afterwards, just kidding. I loved your website as well and put it in my favorites so I can return.

carl reitz

ExtraMSG
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ - Wed, 11/17/04 2:47 PM
Thanks. It was hard not to eat them all before I took some pictures. It was our first place, too, and I hadn't eaten in 24 hours.

I look forward to getting back to Memphis some day. I heard a lot of complaints about Memphis before I went yet they had the best ribs of the trip. I have to admit, the other two places weren't very good, but then, it was Sunday and there weren't that many places open. I really want to try Payne's next time.

Rockbeast
  • Total Posts : 44
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ - Mon, 12/17/07 4:50 PM
quote:
Originally posted by wilewil

sundancer

Since you are from the Kville area and appreciate BBQ. I have a question for you. What is the best Q in K? I used to like Ott's at Dixie/Lee Jct., but understand it closed. Is this true, and what is good now?

Ott's is being rebuilt! I think another family or 'entity' is re-opining Ott's. I think they have hired some people who used to work for the original owners. I believe it is supposed to open in early 2008. I just noticed this about 2 weeks ago while driving by and got so excited I almost...well, I got excited!

Sorry if this was covered before, I didn't read through all the listings in this topic.

Sundancer7
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ - Mon, 12/17/07 6:18 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Rockbeast

quote:
Originally posted by wilewil

sundancer

Since you are from the Kville area and appreciate BBQ. I have a question for you. What is the best Q in K? I used to like Ott's at Dixie/Lee Jct., but understand it closed. Is this true, and what is good now?

Ott's is being rebuilt! I think another family or 'entity' is re-opining Ott's. I think they have hired some people who used to work for the original owners. I believe it is supposed to open in early 2008. I just noticed this about 2 weeks ago while driving by and got so excited I almost...well, I got excited!

Sorry if this was covered before, I didn't read through all the listings in this topic.

Thanks for posting. I hope they do not blow it. It will either make it or not. I hope they do.

Otts was famous many years ago.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Jim in NC
  • Total Posts : 186
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ - Mon, 12/17/07 10:01 PM
Please keep us posted as to the progress/opening of Ott's. Hopefully they'll use the old pit again. It was my favorite stop on the road to Chattanooga or Nashville.

Rockbeast
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ - Tue, 12/18/07 9:17 AM
Here is an Article from a local paper, dated this summer, but I can tell you that construction is under way. Don't worry, I'll be drooling until they open up...and seeing as I don't want to go around wearing a bib for too long, I'll be motivated to keep tabs on things. I'll report back as I have more information.

quote:
New life in store for Farragut landmark eatery
Brian Cox - Thu, Jul, 26, 2007

Progress is continuing in the process to bring a former Farragut favorite, Ott’s Bar B Q, back to life.

Face 300x250
“We plan to re-open Ott’s Barbecue in the same building,” Mike Masters, one of the main partners in Ott’s Barbecue, LLC said.

Masters said he and his brother-in-law, Bill Johnson, own 52 percent in the new Ott’s company, but they have 10 partners who would also have a share in the business.

The partners are still in the process of obtaining grading permits and presenting a site plan to the Farragut Municipal Planning Commission before any work on the property can begin.

“We have all the original recipes,” Masters said. “The former owners wouldn’t sell any of the recipes. We re-hired Mavis, who was there for 18 years and my brother is with P.F. Chang’s China Bistro. We’ve had the original sauce analyzed and broken down, so we’ve duplicated the sauce.”

Masters said they have the recipe for smoking pork shoulders.

“We did that Saturday for 14 people and it was absolutely phenomenal,” he said.

The goal for the company, he said, is to eventually expand and franchise stores in different locations across the state. The first goal, however, is quality food and customer service.

“Our first goal is quality customer service,” Masters said. “Our second goal is keeping Ott’s exactly as it used to be. We’re retroing the building back to 1961.”

The building would look the way it did in 1961, Masters said, although the interior workings would be state-of-the-art equipment.

“One of the extra things we’re going to be added is a pavilion behind the building for church events,” he said. “Nothing will be added to the menu except hot dogs. I have two young kids who don’t like barbecue, so we’re calling them Ott’s Dogs.”

The building will have a drive-thru window and the food would still be served in Reynold’s Wrap.

“Nothing else changes,” he said. “We want to have the same mentality. Why fix something that’s not broke.”

Masters said he and his partners have been working on the idea of re-creating Ott’s for some time.

“I’m originally from Farragut, grew up here,” Masters said. “Everybody from here knows that Ott’s is an institution.”

The property would still remain in the hands of current owner R. Knick Myers of Myers Brothers Holdings and Masters would have a long-term lease.

“I’m excited Ott’s is coming back to Farragut,” Myers said. “I think it’s a great thing for the community.”

Sundancer7
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ - Tue, 12/18/07 1:05 PM
I hope it works out. It is very difficult to duplicate original things particuarly BBQ. I will withhold judgement until they get operational.

Thanks for the update.

Paul E. Smith
knxoville, TN

franklee
  • Total Posts : 64
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ - Fri, 12/21/07 12:59 AM
has anyone here mentiioned Latham's in Jackson? They've catered three events i've attended in Paris (60 miles away) and I fell in love with their ribs... as good as Detroit's Boneyard... no sauce needed... I believe they have 3 locations in Jackson..
frank

Murph1969
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ - Tue, 02/19/08 9:31 PM
I drove by Ott's two days ago and it seems like work is progressing slowly. Looks like it will probably be another month or so before they are open. I am sure they have had some issues with the Town of Farragut's building codes and such. I have gone a few rounds with these guys in the past on commercial property and they can be a real pain in the butt. I am so looking forward to Ott's coming back. When I was in high school we used to cut class just to go to Ott's and eat lunch. I live in Lenoir City and drive by Ott's quite a bit so I will keep you guys updated on the progress. In the meantime there is a really good BBQ joint in Lenoir City called Leo's Pulled Pig. Located on Highway 11 in downtown Lenoir City.

Sundancer7
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ - Wed, 02/20/08 3:42 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Murph1969

I drove by Ott's two days ago and it seems like work is progressing slowly. Looks like it will probably be another month or so before they are open. I am sure they have had some issues with the Town of Farragut's building codes and such. I have gone a few rounds with these guys in the past on commercial property and they can be a real pain in the butt. I am so looking forward to Ott's coming back. When I was in high school we used to cut class just to go to Ott's and eat lunch. I live in Lenoir City and drive by Ott's quite a bit so I will keep you guys updated on the progress. In the meantime there is a really good BBQ joint in Lenoir City called Leo's Pulled Pig. Located on Highway 11 in downtown Lenoir City.

Please keep us updated on the progress of the Otts. I will try it if you give it a good rating.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Murph1969
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ - Fri, 02/22/08 10:01 AM
I am planning on driving by Ott's today. I will post an update on Saturday. I will also try to take a few pics if my camera will cooperate. Everyone have a good weekend.

Sundancer7
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ - Sun, 03/2/08 8:33 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Murph1969

I am planning on driving by Ott's today. I will post an update on Saturday. I will also try to take a few pics if my camera will cooperate. Everyone have a good weekend.

Did you make it by Ott's. If so, please give us an update.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

justtable
  • Total Posts : 101
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ - Sun, 03/2/08 8:53 AM
The first post has an amazing site.....thanks for thr effort....real meaningful stuff

Murph1969
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ - Sun, 03/2/08 12:23 PM
Sundancer,

I did drive by there on Friday. The exterior looks to be almost completed. Not sure about the inside. I was in a hurry to get home and didn't have time to stop.

Rockbeast
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ - Fri, 04/25/08 9:49 AM
I have late breaking news! Ott's BBQ is open as of Tuesday of this week (April 22, 2008)! My Dad lives nearby and told my wife of the news at Wednesday Night Family Dinner at our church. He knew how interested I was...although I expect his interest is just as high!

I spoke to a gentlemen manning the smokers and said "are you guys finally open?" probably drooling a little at the time.

He said "well, not until 11am!"

He told me they are using all the old recipes, and he began to tell me th hours of operation...although with the aroma wafting out of the smokers I must admit I had trouble concentrating on his words. They are open for lunch and dinner...their hours will expand a little more soon. But they are open at 11am today.

Here are a few images to start your mouth watering...

Oh yeah...and the fellow said that they've been swamped...a line of people out the door each day! I don't know if I can get there today (and might not be able to get in!) but within a week, I'M GOIN'!

Rockbeast
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ - Fri, 04/25/08 10:09 AM
Sorry folks...I had the photos there at first...when I refreshed the screen, they were gone. I had tried hosting them on a Picasa Web Album...I must have done something wrong? Maybe I need to allow access to photos to roadfood forum website? It was my first time trying to use Picasa Web.

But believe me, the place is open...uh, at least it will be at 11am! ;)

If anyone wants me to email them the photos and they host...let me know.

Sundancer7
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ - Fri, 04/25/08 12:57 PM
Thanks for the update. I am anxious to see the photos. I will probably stop by there tomorrow.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Sundancer7
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ - Fri, 04/25/08 1:51 PM
I am very anxious to hear your report on the BBQ and their sides

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

mvanpatten
  • Total Posts : 47
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ - Sat, 04/26/08 5:32 PM
KY TN stateline: Greater Guthrie, KY - Tiny Town Red Top Bar B Q and Blackberry Repair.

Even though the place was too cute, what pulled me off the road, was the two large BBQ catering vans, and an antique tractor made into a bbq cooker.
Cleanest rural Q place I've been in. Figure the catering biz allows them to splurge on a very nice eatery.

Pulled pork plates $5.25, two sides, the usual choices. All excellent.

PLUS: the order-taker, food-prep, cashier (one person) tinkered with wife's Blackberry and got it working again.

Can you ever get bad Q from a place on a two lane road in rural KY TN?

Big_g
  • Total Posts : 334
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ - Sat, 04/26/08 6:23 PM
Barb and I stopped at Ott's today to check them out... The place was slammed and a tad disorganized because of it.
We both had a small pork sandwich, and beans...Barb had coleslaw and I had potatoe salad. We placed our order, got a number and sat inside....within about 15 minutes a young man called our number and delivered our food.
The sandwich was a little thin for the price...a regular sandwich plate is a sandwich and two sides for $7.50...the bun was toasted and the meat was very moist and tasty (no sauce on it..which was good for me)the potato salad was good nothing super special but good...the slaw was very very good...vinegar type dressing that gave it a nice sweet and sour taste with lots of celery and caraway seed. The beans were pretty OK...they have potential...they appeared to be pork and beans with pulled pork and some seasoning added.....a nice dollop of sorgum would really have helped them.
Since they just barely opened the menu is a little skimmpy....two sizes of sandwich and two kinds of meat pulled pork and ham. Of course you could get them by the pound also as well as pints and quarts of the sides and sauce. The sauce is a vinegar base sauce..Barb said it was tangy...I couldn't try it yet.
All in all, it was good...not the greatest or the worst but good. And we'll try them again next time we're in Knoxville.

Sundancer7
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ - Mon, 04/28/08 10:57 AM
Big g: Sounds like Ott's has still got a few kinks wo work out. I think I will let them practice for a while before I try them.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Rockbeast
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ - Tue, 04/29/08 5:45 PM
I'm heading over to my folks house on Thursday, they live near Ott's. My Mom is having us over for my birthday dinner and plans to pick up Ott's and bring it home! This is unusual since my Mom always wants to cook up something good on her own (and she always does). This will be my first Ott's in several years. I'm excited...what can I do in the meantime to take my mind off Ott's?

docmiley
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ - Wed, 05/7/08 10:11 PM
Rendevous Memphis TN: Not good.

Art Deco
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ - Fri, 02/17/12 10:06 AM
bump, for old times sake

mr chips
  • Total Posts : 4715
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ - Fri, 02/17/12 1:33 PM
Glad to see this blast from the past. Good to see stuff before I was involved in Roadfood.

mayor al
RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ - Fri, 02/17/12 6:09 PM
Sheech, Chips, I thought the only place open when you first joined the Roadfood Quest was the "Garden of Eden Buffet" !!

Going back over that first session is a real "Hoot"  Thanks for bringing it back, Chris.

Change Page: < 123456 | Showing page 6 of 6, messages 301 to 345 of 345