The Professor meets the Bachelorette

chicagostyledog
  • Total Posts : 3217
  • Reward points : 0
The Professor meets the Bachelorette - Sat, 05/8/10 1:41 PM

On Thursday, D.C. Crenshaw, host of Game Time Dine, visited the Vienna Beef factory with Bachelorette Jillian Harris and Ed to video an upcoming episode. I'll post broadcast information soon.

CSD PhD Professor of Hot Dogs
<message edited by chicagostyledog on Sun, 05/9/10 12:35 AM>

ChiTownDiner
  • Total Posts : 2622
Re:Chicagostyledog and the Bachelorette - Sat, 05/8/10 2:43 PM
What were their chocies?  Did she sample your sausage(s)?

chicagostyledog
Re:Chicagostyledog and the Bachelorette - Sat, 05/8/10 4:08 PM
CTD,

Jillian is a hot dog fanatic from Canada and she knows her stuff. I trained them to correctly prepare a Chicago stlye hot dog, a Maxwell Street Polish, and a soaked Italian Beef. Jillian made a soaked Italian Beef with sweet peppers, Ed made a Maxwell Street Polish on the flat griddle with grilled onions, and D.C.'s friend made a Chicago style dog. I did have to remind D.C.'s buddy, that ketchup doesn't belong on a Chicago style dog. A good time was had by all and will be shared on TV in the very near future.

CSD

John Fox
  • Total Posts : 2313
Re:Chicagostyledog and the Bachelorette - Sat, 05/8/10 6:29 PM
CSD,

Make sure you post the link; I'd love to see the segment. I'm waiting to see if anyone comes on here and protests your statement about ketchup not belonging on a hot dog; Chicago style or not. Although people on this forum seem more knowledgeable about hot dogs and respectful of the styles. On other sites I'm called a snob and told to eff off. It's pretty funny actually.

chicagostyledog
Re:Chicagostyledog and the Bachelorette - Sun, 05/9/10 8:47 AM
John,

Roadfooders are more knowledgeable and respectful about their regional style of hot dogs and because of that, they're aware that ketchup is not one of the seven specific ingredients applied to an authentic Chicago style hot dog. As a business educator, I'm not politically involved with the use of ketchup on a hot dog. When training students who intend to offer an authentic Chicago style hot dog, I teach the Chicago style method and explain, that as vendors, they must always place themselves on the customer side of the cart or counter. If a customer wants ketchup on their hot dog, let them have all the ketchup they desire. When I sold hot dogs from my cart in Wisconsin, I was never a snob or disrespectful and always offered ketchup to my customers. It's not what I want, it's about what my customers want.

CSD

John Fox
Re:Chicagostyledog and the Bachelorette - Sun, 05/9/10 10:58 AM
Well said.

John Fox
Re:Chicagostyledog and the Bachelorette - Sun, 05/9/10 12:09 PM
CSD,
         You have the perfect temperement for someone teaching about and serving hot dogs. I know it would be hard for me, especially putting stuff on a hot dog that I don't think belongs. It is true that the customer is always right when it comes to what they want, as hard as that is to admit sometimes.

My son bought me the book by Bob Schwartz, Never Put Ketchup on a Hot Dog. Great stories and pictures from the many Chicago hot dog stands.

DougS
  • Total Posts : 475
Re:Chicagostyledog and the Bachelorette - Sun, 05/9/10 4:42 PM
Everyone has different tastes and CSD is correct in pointing out; that it is what the customer wants, not the vendor.
Personally, I don't do Ketchup on hot dogs, but many people do. I don't care for brown mustard on a dog, but love yellow.
I wonder who came up with that hot dog rule (no ketchup) in the first place?
I want to ask them, to ban brown mustard too.

Matt Gleason
  • Total Posts : 689
Re:Chicagostyledog and the Bachelorette - Thu, 05/13/10 9:47 PM
I learned the same rule years ago, if a customer requests it and I have it then they can have it.  Here are a few Sabrett NC hot dog requests from the past: no roll, mayo, sour cream, cut in pieces, cream cheese, butter, on pizza, sprinkled with Flavacol, steak sauce, added to a meatball sub, in a salad and on a breakfast sandwich.

chicagostyledog
Re:Chicagostyledog and the Bachelorette - Thu, 05/13/10 11:18 PM
The episode of Game Time Dine will air on Sunday at 9:30amCST on Comcast SportsNet.