Hot!Eggs Benedict

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Double Cheeseburger
2010/05/12 16:24:30
I really like a good Eggs Benedict, but so often it's a poorly done dish.  However, in recent history I've been able to have quite a few good Benedicts, including

1. Al's Breakfast, Minneapolis
2. Wasp's Diner, Woodstock, VT
3. Dream Diner, Tyngsboro, MA
4. Modern Diner, Pawtucket, RI
5. Hell's Kitchen, Minneapolis

(1, 3, and 5 are all Roadfood reviewed places, BTW)

I wrote up several of these places on my blog here.  Here's my favorite at Al's:

Where are your favorites (especially in SoCal and DFW, where I'm probably headed next)?
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Eggs Benedict 2010/05/12 17:14:10
Where's the truffle that'ssupposed to be on top?
irisarbor
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Eggs Benedict 2010/05/13 11:57:46
It's not exactly roadfood (and was a bit of a splurge), but the best Benedict I have ever had was at Prairie Grass Cafe in Northbrook, IL.
It's a Surf and turf Benedict,
One side is a petite tallgrass filet and the other a crabcake , both topped with poached egg and hollandaise.
O.M.G.
I thought I had gone to heaven, Best. breakfast. ever.

They also make a wonderful signature benedict that is an english muffin topped with
fresh sauteed spinach and crumbled bacon,
topped with poached egg and a roasted tomato hollandaise.
That is also wonderful, and more reasonably priced.
kaszeta
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Eggs Benedict 2010/05/13 13:35:05
Interesting.  I'll make a note for the next time I'm in that area (I seem to have friends' weddings in that area every few years...)
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Eggs Benedict 2010/05/13 14:04:22
Cafe Brittany in Palm Passage in Charlotte Amalie served the very best eggs Benedict I've ever had in a restaurant. With a daiquiri or three it was always a wonderful lunch, although admittedly I never got much productive work done afterwards.
juleebella
Cheeseburger
Re:Eggs Benedict 2010/05/13 14:38:22
Crab Cakes Benedict at Clary's in Savannah
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Eggs Benedict 2010/05/13 18:50:15
Good Day Cafe, Minneapolis, MN Mushroom Eggs Benedict

Good Day Cafe, Minneapolis, MN Paisley Eggs Benedict

Good Day Cafe, Minneapolis, MN Regular Eggs Benedict

The Pie Place, Grand Marais, MN Eggs Benedicts

Bayside Grill, Excelsior, MN Eggs Benedict

Fayze's, La Crosse, WI Eggs Benedict

JailHouse Cafe, Moab, UT Southwestern Eggs Benedict

Salt Fork Lodge State Park, OH Eggs Benedict
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Eggs Benedict 2010/05/13 19:00:43
And nowhere even a sliver of black truffle?
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Eggs Benedict 2010/05/13 19:18:42
The last time I saw a truffle in a store was at a Wegman's in Fairfax, VA and they were under lock and key at $999 per pound. Doubt you will find one on an eggs benedict anywhere especially in a roadfood classified place. Maybe truffle oil?
kaszeta
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Eggs Benedict 2010/05/13 19:40:19
I've been to Good Day and Bayside, actually.  Both of those are great places, but, alas, never had the Benedict.  Will have to go back.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Eggs Benedict 2010/05/13 20:22:41
Steak & Eggs Benedict at McBob's.

A hard choice to make when the corned beef hash is staring at you on the menu.  But a bargain at just $6.50.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Eggs Benedict 2010/05/13 21:32:28
Davydd

The last time I saw a truffle in a store was at a Wegman's in Fairfax, VA and they were under lock and key at $999 per pound. Doubt you will find one on an eggs benedict anywhere especially in a roadfood classified place. Maybe truffle oil?

I saw some nice black truffles just the other day for a mere $200 for a quarter of a pound. A shaving per egg? Not very expensive.
mland520
Cheeseburger
Re:Eggs Benedict 2010/05/14 09:22:35
If memory serves, your $200.00/per 1/4 pound is just about = to the $999.00/ per pound, Michael. Still a lot of $$$$ for a Road food joint!
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
Re:Eggs Benedict 2010/05/14 09:49:35
Methinks Davydd really likes Eggs Benedict!

The best that I've tasted were at Brennan's in New Orleans.

The Crab Benedict at John O'Groats in L.A. was pretty good, too.

post edited by MiamiDon - 2010/05/14 09:53:20
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Eggs Benedict 2010/05/14 18:53:27
Most of those were my wife's. I'm usually an omelet man but I am starting to come over with the poached concept.
baileysoriginal
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Eggs Benedict 2010/05/14 22:39:51
I've been feasting my eyes with all of these incredible Benedict photos - poached eggs and Hollandaise is indeed a beautiful thing - and the other additions only make it that much better.
RedJim64
Cheeseburger
Re:Eggs Benedict 2010/05/15 08:09:52
Eggs Baltimore at The Stables, in Baltimore, MD.
kaszeta
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Eggs Benedict 2010/05/16 21:51:51
This morning was Stella's in Hartland, VT.  Green Mountain Benedict, with bacon from the local smokehouse:

Scorereader
Sirloin
Re:Eggs Benedict 2010/05/17 09:37:34
mland520

If memory serves, your $200.00/per 1/4 pound is just about = to the $999.00/ per pound, Michael. Still a lot of $$$$ for a Road food joint!

mland: 
math class: $200 per 1/4 pound, would be $800 per pound.
There's two ways to look at that when compared to $1000. Either 20% less than $1000. Or, the $1000 is an additional 25% of $800.

so, $200 per 1/4 pound is a pretty good savings over $999 per pound.

Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Eggs Benedict 2010/05/17 10:30:41
Scorereader

mland520

mland: 
There's two ways to look at that when compared to $1000. Either 20% less than $1000. Or, the $1000 is an additional 25% of $800.

OK math experts, how much would Michael's sliver of truffle cost with discount on a plate of eggs benedict?
sizz
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Eggs Benedict 2010/05/17 11:43:52
Davydd

Most of those were my wife's. I'm usually an omelet man but I am starting to come over with the poached concept.

Dave................... heads-up.. we aren't suppose to be eating eggs.... and cheese is also a no no .... loaded with cholesterol remember?? 
Oatmeal .. buddy, with some of your maple syrup ...lol 

Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Eggs Benedict 2010/05/17 12:28:14
I tried oatmeal in a restaurant. It seems strange.

I have found it fairly easy to ask for an all egg white veggie omelet and not to butter the whole wheat toast to keep the cholesterol and fat down. It seems that request is not so strange to restaurants anymore.
irisarbor
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Eggs Benedict 2010/05/18 12:06:45
Oh goodness some eggs benedict every now and then isn't going to hurt anyone.

4 eggs every day- probably not a good plan.
It's all about balance.
westy
Junior Burger
Re:Eggs Benedict 2010/05/18 12:40:59
I'm 52 years old and have dined from coast to coast. I have never seen a truffle on eggs Benedict. That dish is all about the quality of the ham and the hollandaise. Me thinks someone is being a bit snobbish when inquiring about 'so called' missing truffles in these pics.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Eggs Benedict 2010/05/18 13:01:24
Perhaps you ought to consider dining in better restaurants. You know, places where they are aware that eggs Benedict is supposed to have Canadian bacon under the poached egg and a sliver of black truffle atop the sauce.
sizz
Re:Eggs Benedict 2010/05/18 14:05:15
Michael Hoffman

Perhaps you ought to consider dining in better restaurants. You know, places where they are aware that eggs Benedict is supposed to have Canadian bacon under the poached egg and a sliver of black truffle atop the sauce.

you tell him Mike....... People,, pay attention here... this is coming from a guy who's favorite daily breakfast is at a Waffle House  so he ought to know all about dining in better venues ....lol 
this is all in fun Michael but you must admit you really "stepped on it" this time............... and you were wearing golf shoes   ..ouch!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eggs_Benedict

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Eggs Benedict 2010/05/18 17:23:43
Oh?

What's in eggs Benedict?
From the bottom up:
English muffins. Unfrozen is best. Their split halves should be toasted to crispness. Tearing the halves apart with a fork or with hands, rather than slicing them, increases their surface area, and therefore also their flavor and absorbancy. Few restaurants bother. English muffins need not be the soft, yeasty, most popular Thomas's brand. Actually, they should not be, since Thomas's standard muffins are too small and their sandwich-size muffins are too large. Matthew's is a good retail brand of English muffin in the New York City area.
Canadian bacon. Standard bacon comes from pork "bellies," the underside of the hog, along the ribs. Canadian bacon comes from the meatier loin, along the backbone. It is trimmed of excess fat and is cured like ham. Often, ordinary ham is substituted in eggs Benedict. Canadian bacon should be freshly grilled, but is always packaged presliced, which does not improve flavor or texture. Technically, it is "Canadian-style" bacon if it is not of Canadian origin. Canadians do not eat it more than any other pork-product-loving people, though they may call it back bacon or pea-meal bacon.
http://www.echonyc.com/~jkarpf/eggs/what.html

EDIT: By the way, I don't have eggs Benedict for breakfast. It's a lunch or dinner meal for me.
post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2010/05/18 19:05:07
BillyB
Filet Mignon
Re:Eggs Benedict 2010/05/19 08:16:27
I also like a good eggs Benedict, But I always felt the english muffin was the wrong choice of bread. I find a Croissant to be a better choice, its light, buttery, and brings it all together better.............Billyb
dannybotz
Cheeseburger
Re:Eggs Benedict 2010/05/19 09:01:47
Miss Shirleys in Baltimore Has some Ridiculous Benedict Choices!! My wife Had the soft shell crab It was OTH!!

Smoked Salmon Benedict $17.99
Poached Eggs & Smoked Salmon on Potato Cakes with Asparagus, Chive Hollandaise Sauce & Sour Cream
Crab & Fried Green Tomato Eggs Benedict $18.99
Poached Eggs, Jumbo Lump Crab Meat & Corn Hash with Roasted Red Pepper Hollandaise Sauce
Southern Sunrise Benedict $14.99
Poached Eggs & Housemade Slow Roasted Carolina Pulled Pork on Corn Bread Rounds with Collard Greens made with Tasso Ham & Cajun Hollandaise Sauce

Soft Shell Shirley-Feller Market Price
Cornmeal-Encrusted Soft Shell Crab, Creamed Chipped Beef & Egg Round on Shredded Potato & Onion Hash Browns, Topped with White Cheddar Cheese
DougS
Cheeseburger
Re:Eggs Benedict 2010/05/19 22:47:25
Canadian Back Bacon is the crowning glory to a good Eggs Benedict.
There is a difference in Canadian back bacon, if it is smoked it is Canadian Bacon, if it is just sweet pickled cured, rolled in cornmeal, and not smoked, it is Peameal bacon. As Michael states, "Canadian bacon comes from the meatier loin, along the backbone".

They are both excellent on eggs Benedict.
Scorereader
Sirloin
Re:Eggs Benedict 2010/05/20 10:03:56
Davydd

Scorereader

mland520

mland: 

OK math experts, how much would Michael's sliver of truffle cost with discount on a plate of eggs benedict?

It depends on the speed of the train leaving Chicago and heading to Columbus.
Starfood
Junior Burger
Re:Eggs Benedict 2010/06/16 18:46:35
Oh my, so many great looking eggs benedict! They all look amazing!
TacoDrew
Junior Burger
Re:Eggs Benedict 2010/07/10 12:02:52
I'll add Creole Kitchen in Columbus, OH.  They're takeout only, but seriously good stuff.  IIRC, only cost $5.

1052 Mount Vernon Avenue Open: 7am-7pm, Mon.-Sat. (614) 372-3333

Best photo I could find, the Eggs Benedict are bottom right: 
edit: as a Junior Burger, I apparently can't add photos.

post edited by TacoDrew - 2010/07/10 12:03:59
depitzer
Junior Burger
Re:Eggs Benedict 2010/07/10 23:58:12
DFW:
Ozona for Eggs Benedict (only available Saturday and Sunday mornings)
Also, great chicken fried steak!
Ketteract
Cheeseburger
Re:Eggs Benedict 2013/05/31 08:08:22
I had no idea that Eggs Benedict was a diner staple in New England, or at least Connecticut.  Every single diner I've been to here has had it on their menu.  Quite a change from Kansas City, where the only non-fast-food breakfast option near where I lived (in the KC northland) was an IHOP, which didn't carry the dish.  (Funny how they can have a million kinds of omelettes, and offer eggs "any style", but somehow not have Benedict.)

So far I've had it at the Starlight Diner, Mitchell's on Main, the Cromwell Diner, and the Olympia Diner.  Unfortunately I only have pictures of the last two.

Here's the Cromwell Diner's version.  The hollandaise was a little gritty, and the Canadian bacon was nice and thick but a bit too tender somehow, as though it were processed.  The home fries, however, were exceptional:

They also do an Eggs Florentine (listed on their menu as "Florentine Benedict") that is rather better, though I think I would have preferred steamed spinach to raw:

The Olympia Diner's hollandaise was nice and smooth.  The Canadian bacon was thinner than Cromwell's, but definitely not processed.  It didn't offer much flavor though.  Their home fries were totally bland:

post edited by Ketteract - 2013/05/31 08:09:54
myterry2
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Eggs Benedict 2013/05/31 09:15:15
M Hoffman version of eggs benedict is exactly correct...my problem with the dish is about one place out of maybe 500 (or more) knows how to prepare the Hollandaise sauce correctly. 

CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Eggs Benedict 2013/06/01 14:19:00
There are 11 versions of Eggs Benedict on the menu @ Anthony David's in <<<Hoboken>>> (you guessed it).

http://www.anthonydavids.com/DR_Site/drbrunch.html

They are a little spendy but worth it. Only live once...can't take it with ya....might as well eat very well along the way.

https://www.foodspotting....david-s-hoboken/latest
post edited by CCinNJ - 2013/06/01 14:25:48
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Eggs Benedict 2013/06/01 15:38:22
There be some nice Benedicts there. And then there's the Sicilian omelet.
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:Eggs Benedict 2013/06/01 15:50:25
I guess by now you all know that I hate eggs and hate breakfast.  BUT I did have Eggs Benedict at Brennan's in New Orleans.  Superb. 
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Eggs Benedict 2013/06/01 17:33:44
lleechef

I guess by now you all know that I hate eggs and hate breakfast.  BUT I did have Eggs Benedict at Brennan's in New Orleans.  Superb. 

I like eggs and Roz will not eat them under any circumstances?  She is sorta picky so I rarely cook eggs of any kind.
I put them in our cakes but nothing else period.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:Eggs Benedict 2013/06/01 17:41:37
lleechef

REALLY??

You of all people I would have thunk would adore the many uses and creations made possible by such a simple thing as an egg.
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:Eggs Benedict 2013/06/01 17:48:20
We can put Roz, Guy Fieri and myself in the same group........we just don't like eggs!  I do use them in cooking (egg wash for breading) and baking but I personally don't eat them.
CK
I prefer to use the many uses and creations made possible by FISH......my favorite food!
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Eggs Benedict 2013/09/03 18:29:04
Reviving a thread. The Pie Place Cafe in Grand Marais, MN moved from a mile out of town on Highway 61 to downtown Grand Marais displacing the Wild Onion Restaurant. They have a couple of choices of eggs Benedict. I chose the Northwoods with Maple sausage last weekend.

MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Eggs Benedict 2013/09/03 18:57:47
If you find yourself in Dallas craving Eggs Benedict, try Benedict's.  Check the variety of Benedict-style dishes they do: 
http://benedicts-restaurant.com/benedicts_dallas/benedicts_breakfast_menu.html

We have been having Sunday breakfast there at least 20 times a year since 2005.  It never disappoints. 

My particular favorite is their Eggs Cordon Bleu.  And, they do a better pancake than the Original Pancake House.

Their other location is in Colorado.  Lucky them!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Eggs Benedict 2013/09/04 02:14:20
MetroplexJim

If you find yourself in Dallas craving Eggs Benedict, try Benedict's.  Check the variety of Benedict-style dishes they do: 

We have been having Sunday breakfast there at least 20 times a year since 2005.  It never disappoints. 

My particular favorite is their Eggs Cordon Bleu.  And, they do a better pancake than the Original Pancake House.

I could live the rest of my life just eating off of that menu!
Wouldn't need anything else.
Ketteract
Cheeseburger
Re:Eggs Benedict 2013/09/04 07:02:48
Foodbme

MetroplexJim

No kidding.  I would go back to that place every weekend to try something new.

My impulse is the Filet Mignon Benedict, although a part of me would feel guilty at covering up the filet mignon that way... I'm sure I'd get over it though.  :)
fishtaco
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Eggs Benedict 2013/09/04 13:52:17
MetroplexJim

That just looks insane! I could devour that entire menu.

food truck guy
Junior Burger
Re:Eggs Benedict 2013/09/04 17:40:36
Lately i've been going to  Elmer's  and i love there avocado Benedict
Scorereader
Sirloin
Re:Eggs Benedict 2013/09/05 14:31:59
MetroplexJim

Nice!

I've usually seen the ´╗┐smoken salmon benedict called "Egg Norgwegian" or "Norwegian Benedict." and that was, for a long time, my favorit EB version, and I often made it at home - which pleased my wife, greatly, since she absolutely loves smoked salmon

But then, as you know Jim, the mid-atlantic is famous for it's local delicasy, and that delicasy combined with the benedict model is, by far, my favorite EB version, called "Eggs Chesapeake" or "Chesapeake Benedict" (or similar variation) which utilizes MD style crab cakes in lieu of the canadian bacon. Some places, who make a good crab cake to start, just knock it out of the park. It's so freaking delicious - it doesn't matter if the rest of the benedicts look or sound appetizing, I am getting the Chesapeake! 

post edited by Scorereader - 2013/09/05 14:33:30
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Eggs Benedict 2013/09/06 00:59:02
Ketteract

Foodbme

MetroplexJim

No kidding.  I would go back to that place every weekend to try something new.

My impulse is the Filet Mignon Benedict, although a part of me would feel guilty at covering up the filet mignon that way... I'm sure I'd get over it though.  :)

Steak & Eggs have been going together since Salt & Pepper, Abbott & Costello. Mutt & Jeff,. Just get the sauce on the side!
marteenhook
Junior Burger
Re:Eggs Benedict 2013/09/13 01:40:30
Hello dear
I want to know the Ingredients for the recipe. How can I make this recipe and I am very excited for the recipe.
rainyday6
Hamburger
Re:Eggs Benedict 2013/11/11 07:56:16
Marteen, this is what I do at home:  bring a medium pot or deep skillet to a boil.  Turn it down to a simmer and add 2 tablesoons of white vinegar.  Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, make the sauce with the Knoor brand mix, but substitute cream for the milk and stir in 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice; set aside and toast English muffins.  I use Thomases, original flavor.  Lightly butter them.  Cook slices of real Canadian bacon in skillet until lightly browned, just a couple minutes.  When the water is ready, "make a "whirlpool" with a large spoon.  With the whirlpool going, slide an egg gently into the water.  It helps to already have the egg on a small plate first and to use room temp eggs.  The goal is to keep the eggs intact, and cook the whites and leave the yolks runny.  Alternately, you can just do sunnyside up.   I would practice this before making for company lol.  Repeat with remaining eggs, 2 for each serving.  Put halves of muffins on plate, top each half with one piece bacon, then egg and finally sauce.  You can sprinkle the tops with chives if you want.
rexfullerupperville
Junior Burger
Re:Eggs Benedict 2013/12/10 03:11:45
1. Al's Breakfast, Minneapolis  - I agree with this! One of the yummiest egg benedicts I ever tasted!
Ketteract
Cheeseburger
Re:Eggs Benedict 2013/12/14 12:46:34
Finally got around to hitting up O'Rourke's Diner.  Had a variation on Eggs Benedict, Eggs Mornay:

The Mornay was a delightful change - rich and creamy, but not as in-your-face as hollandaise.  The thin slice of Irish bacon went with it perfectly.  The home fries looked attractive but actually didn't have a lot of taste to them; Cromwell's are honestly better. 

(One thing I enjoyed about this place was the perfectly-sized portions.  You felt neither stuffed nor cheated!)

Pancho
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Eggs Benedict 2013/12/14 13:53:17
My favorite benedict ANYWHERE is the lobster at Blue Heaven in Key West. One of my all time favorite restaurants and eating experiences.
http://www.nicegraphics.c...ue_heaven_benedict.jpg
http://www.blueheavenkw.com/
post edited by Pancho - 2013/12/14 13:56:50
pnwchef
Re:Eggs Benedict 2014/02/07 10:49:37
BillyB

I also like a good eggs Benedict, But I always felt the english muffin was the wrong choice of bread. I find a Croissant to be a better choice, its light, buttery, and brings it all together better.............Billyb

I agree 100% with this guy........
pnwchef
Re:Eggs Benedict 2014/02/07 10:55:57
Pancho

My favorite benedict ANYWHERE is the lobster at Blue Heaven in Key West. One of my all time favorite restaurants and eating experiences.
http://www.nicegraphics.c...ue_heaven_benedict.jpg
http://www.blueheavenkw.com/

Pancho, I agree, fun place to have breakfast with the chickens. I also love the Lobster Benny...
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Eggs Benedict 2014/02/07 19:16:31
Scorereader

MetroplexJim

Nice!

I've usually seen the ´╗┐smoken salmon benedict called "Egg Norgwegian" or "Norwegian Benedict." and that was, for a long time, my favorit EB version, and I often made it at home - which pleased my wife, greatly, since she absolutely loves smoked salmon

But then, as you know Jim, the mid-atlantic is famous for it's local delicasy, and that delicasy combined with the benedict model is, by far, my favorite EB version, called "Eggs Chesapeake" or "Chesapeake Benedict" (or similar variation) which utilizes MD style crab cakes in lieu of the canadian bacon. Some places, who make a good crab cake to start, just knock it out of the park. It's so freaking delicious - it doesn't matter if the rest of the benedicts look or sound appetizing, I am getting the Chesapeake!  

Sadly, Texas is NOT for crabs.

Since moving here in 2005 I have ordered crabcakes twice; only one was truly decent @ the Oceanaire.  The other, served as a crabcake benedict at this place was spectacularily vile.  (The tiny specks of crab had a fishy taste and smell that somehow overwhelmed the grease and breading).

So, on every visit to our place in McLean, a pilgrimage to G&M is always on our list.  For a Chesapeake Benedict, restaurants in the Clyde's Group do a decent job. 
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2014/02/07 19:20:46
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Eggs Benedict 2014/02/07 19:49:32
Somebody requesting Crabcake Eggs Benedict? Of all places, Cavallos in Ouray, Colorado.

Pancho
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Eggs Benedict 2014/02/07 19:55:52
Davydd

Somebody requesting Crabcake Eggs Benedict? Of all places, Cavallos in Ouray, Colorado.

Thanks, Davydd! Hey, I'm headed that way in June...doing a loop from Telluride (3 day layover) and heading over Lizard Head down to Durango and then up 550...I was going to stop in Silverton at Handlebar's....but maybe I'll wait until Ouray. I love SW Colorado.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2