Knoxville, TN has finaaly got a good BBQ

Fire Safety Admin
2010/05/15 11:11:16
The top chef in Knoxville has totally refurbished a old Hardee's In Knoxville.  It is so different that you would not recoginize it.  It seats 90 on the inside and 120 on the outside.  He smokes his product on a huge smoker that sets on the outside.  It is a beautiful facility

Roz and I was extremely impressed.  I have been on the Knoxville scene for many  years and nothing in Knoxville ever never excited me.  I had their ribs and they were extremely crunchy on the outside and smooth as butter on the inside.  Their mac and cheese is made  using Benton's bacon ( many of you know Allen Benton expecially Al and Poverty) and they use scallions.  I did not care for their cole slaw though but the ribs were very good.  Somehow they smoke all day and insure that the prodcut is always fresh.  How they do it, I am not sure.  I got the small spare ribs for $8.95.  No sides.  I could only eat two of the four.

This is the only time I have ever suggested a BBQ in Knoxville but this is appearing like the real deal.  It is not a chain although the owner has a couple of other restaurants in Knoxville but not BBQ. 

http://www.rouxbarbeque.com/

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
post edited by Sundancer7 - 2010/05/15 11:13:28
kaszeta
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Knoxville, TN has finaaly got a good BBQ 2010/05/15 11:41:26
Thanks.  I'll check this out on my next Oak Ridge trip.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Knoxville, TN has finaaly got a good BBQ 2010/05/15 11:55:43
Paul,

Some of the best brisket I ever had was at the Lucky Rooster.  Remember that place?

Whatever happened to the quality at Calhoun's?  When I lived in Knoxville in the mid-80's, Calhoun's had outstanding barbecue.  Last time I tried it they had [Insert Bad Word Here].

Jim
kaszeta
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Knoxville, TN has finaaly got a good BBQ 2010/05/15 12:02:36
Calhoun's was once decent?  They were crap by the time I lived there ('93-'95).
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Knoxville, TN has finaaly got a good BBQ 2010/05/15 12:13:12
kaszeta,

The original Calhoun's on Kingston Pike used to have a pile of hickory out front and a real barbecue pit.  They won a national rib contest and were legitimately one of the best restaurants in the country for ribs.

Jim
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Knoxville, TN has finaaly got a good BBQ 2010/05/15 12:20:51
JRPfeff

kaszeta,

The original Calhoun's on Kingston Pike used to have a pile of hickory out front and a real barbecue pit.  They won a national rib contest and were legitimately one of the best restaurants in the country for ribs.

Jim

Calhoun's was very good almost 20 years ago.  Now they are a chain and the quality is not the same.  I still frequent them but it is not any where near what it was.  They have four restaurants in Knoxville, one in Pigeon Forge and one in Knoxville and one in somewhere close to Nashville.

Knoxville has not had a good BBQ place in Knoxville in many years until RouxBarbecue.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

carlton pierre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Knoxville, TN has finaaly got a good BBQ 2010/05/23 18:26:48
I've been hearing good things about Dead End BBQ on Sutherland Ave.  Looks like a nice place but have not been there yet.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Knoxville, TN has finaaly got a good BBQ 2010/05/23 20:15:45
carlton pierre

I've been hearing good things about Dead End BBQ on Sutherland Ave.  Looks like a nice place but have not been there yet.

I would suggest RouXBarbeque.

Paul E. Smith
knoxville, TN

carlton pierre
Re:Knoxville, TN has finaaly got a good BBQ 2010/05/24 08:34:10
Paul, it appears Knoxville may finally have arrived on the BBQ scene with 2 good bbq houses.  Bruce Bogartz at Rouxbarbecue is considered the top chef in knoxville and whatever he touches turns to gold.  His menu looks outstanding and affordable.
Checkout www.deadendbbq.com as well.  Looks like a good place.  I
I'm just glad there are now 2 good places to get some q in town.  Rather exciting for ktown.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Knoxville, TN has finaaly got a good BBQ 2010/05/24 09:35:19
carlton pierre

Paul, it appears Knoxville may finally have arrived on the BBQ scene with 2 good bbq houses.  Bruce Bogartz at Rouxbarbecue is considered the top chef in knoxville and whatever he touches turns to gold.  His menu looks outstanding and affordable.
Checkout www.deadendbbq.com as well.  Looks like a good place.  I
I'm just glad there are now 2 good places to get some q in town.  Rather exciting for ktown.

Deadend has more credibility that Bruce.  Deadend has won numerous awards through out the USA but It appears that Bruce has nailed it.  I sure did enjoy their products.

Metropulse did a huge article on BBQ this week.  The paper highlights many of Knoxville's current BBQ places.

http://www.metropulse.com/news/knoxville-summer-guide-2010/

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
carlton pierre
Re:Knoxville, TN has finaaly got a good BBQ 2010/05/24 12:54:51
I didn't realize Knoxville had so many BBQ places.  Great article.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Knoxville, TN has finaaly got a good BBQ 2010/05/24 17:23:12
carlton pierre

I didn't realize Knoxville had so many BBQ places.  Great article.

I belong to the Mountain Miata Club and we have our monthly meeting at Sweet Pea's on the Old Maryville Hwy tonight.

http://www.sweetpbbq.com/

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Heartbreaksoup
Cheeseburger
Re:Knoxville, TN has finaaly got a good BBQ 2010/05/25 08:19:19
Me neither.  We come through Knoxville about twice a year and never seem to find any good BBQ.  Many years ago, I stopped into that local chain, Buddy's, and that must have soured me on the town's options.  Maybe next time we're in town, we can try Dead End... if I can pry my wife away from Pizza Palace anyway. 
carlton pierre
Re:Knoxville, TN has finaaly got a good BBQ 2010/05/25 08:23:38
The website, Paul, makes it look interesting.   I want to try it out, especially breakfast.  Yet, my hunch is that you're not crazy about this place.  Is that correct?
carlton pierre
Re:Knoxville, TN has finaaly got a good BBQ 2010/05/25 08:25:11
Heartbreak, I'm embarrassed to say I've lived here 17 years and have never been to the Pizza Palace.  What am I missing?
Heartbreaksoup
Cheeseburger
Re:Knoxville, TN has finaaly got a good BBQ 2010/05/25 09:01:21
Without derailing the thread too much, I think that spaghetti sauce is certainly among the best I've ever had, and it's my wife's favorite pizza in the world.  Personally, I don't think their pies are a patch on Atlanta's better pizzerias (Varasano's, LaBella's, Fellini's, Everybody's, Fritti), but they're certainly not bad.

There is a meat-n-three place across the street from Pizza Palace which claims to have "Bonesucking BBQ."  That was the other BBQ that I had in Knoxville.  It was so unmemorable that it wasn't until our second trip to Pizza Palace that I adjusted my glasses, stared long and hard at the place and remembered "Holy anna, I've been there!"
kaszeta
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Knoxville, TN has finaaly got a good BBQ 2010/05/25 09:04:26
I've never been impressed by the pizza at Pizza Palace.  It is, however, a somewhat interesting experience, since it's like going back in time, to an era of neon and drive-in restaurants.

It's like my odd relationship with Big Ed's pizza in Oak Ridge.  The pizza isn't bad, but it's not great, either (and it's a solid contender for "greasiest pizza I've ever consumed"), but between the friendly service and a dose of nostalgia for my short time living in Oak Ridge, I still like to go there when I'm in town (the cheap pictures of beer don't hurt, either).

http://offbeateats.blogsp...izza-oak-ridge-tn.html for a review I did sometime last year...
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Knoxville, TN has finaaly got a good BBQ 2010/05/25 13:10:40
Heartbreaksoup

Without derailing the thread too much, I think that spaghetti sauce is certainly among the best I've ever had, and it's my wife's favorite pizza in the world.  Personally, I don't think their pies are a patch on Atlanta's better pizzerias (Varasano's, LaBella's, Fellini's, Everybody's, Fritti), but they're certainly not bad.

There is a meat-n-three place across the street from Pizza Palace which claims to have "Bonesucking BBQ."  That was the other BBQ that I had in Knoxville.  It was so unmemorable that it wasn't until our second trip to Pizza Palace that I adjusted my glasses, stared long and hard at the place and remembered "Holy anna, I've been there!"

Chandlers is the place you are referring to.  About 10 years ago, these two black people lost their jobs and took every cent they had to start their restaurant.  In my opinion, they are not a BBQ place and more of a meat and two or three.  For some reason, the place stays packed.  Their food is definately soul food and tends to be tasty.  Cops eat there all the time.  I have only been there once and their fried chicken was very good.

Pizza Palace was recently visited by Man Vs. Food Guy.  It has been there for way better than 50 years.

Knoxville BBQ is definately on the upswing and it should be.  Knoxville has been without good BBQ for many years.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

carlton pierre
Re:Knoxville, TN has finaaly got a good BBQ 2010/05/25 18:52:58
The really neat place across the street is the Phillipine Connection.  Outstanding little joint that serves excellent Philipino food at a very low price and she has not raised her prices in years.
carlton pierre
Re:Knoxville, TN has finaaly got a good BBQ 2010/06/02 06:29:12
Paul,

I just saw in the paper that Bruce Bogartz is no longer with Rouxbarbecue, either as chef or part owner.  Must've had a fallingout.  New chef is formerly with Regas.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Knoxville, TN has finaaly got a good BBQ 2010/06/03 18:00:22
carlton pierre

Paul,

I just saw in the paper that Bruce Bogartz is no longer with Rouxbarbecue, either as chef or part owner.  Must've had a fallingout.  New chef is formerly with Regas.

I am sad to hear that.  I have no idea about the issue.  I had not heard that.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
carlton pierre
Re:Knoxville, TN has finaaly got a good BBQ 2010/06/07 11:30:59
Paul,

did you make it to the Biscuit Festival this past weekend in downtown Knox?
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Knoxville, TN has finaaly got a good BBQ 2010/06/07 18:03:30
Carl
 See the thread on the Roadfood News Forum for an article about the festival
carlton pierre
Re:Knoxville, TN has finaaly got a good BBQ 2010/06/08 07:38:32
I just now saw it, Al.  I don't know of any other city having a biscuit festival.  It was a lot of fun and a bigger success than anticipated.
utvols
Junior Burger
Re:Knoxville, TN has finaaly got a good BBQ 2010/06/22 10:04:39
    First time I went to RouXBarbeque the "Q" was chopped, even though it said pulled.  They also had a hard chewy bun made by Hogan's.  The sauce, to me, was vile.  They changed the bun and meat the second time I went but the sauce was the same.  Both times I went the smoker was "for show" as they cooked all their meat at the smokehouse next to Bogartz.  Maybe now that Bogart left it will get better.  BTW, if you are over 5 feet tall, do not try to sit outside.  Tall benches, low tables.

carlton pierre
Re:Knoxville, TN has finaaly got a good BBQ 2010/06/29 15:52:46
Wife and I ate at Dead End BBQ after church this past Sunday.  Very nice atmosphere and very attentive staff.  I had the beef brisket and sausage, she had the pulled pork and bbq chicken.  They were all very good.  I had the potato salad and sausage and beans for my sides.  The beans were like a bean soup with sausage.  I thought it was very good and so was the potato salad.  I'd certainly go back again.
cwallvol1
Junior Burger
Re:Knoxville, TN has finaaly got a good BBQ 2010/06/29 21:05:48
Whatever happened to M and M Catering? They used to be delicious when it came to 'que.
carlton pierre
Re:Knoxville, TN has finaaly got a good BBQ 2010/07/18 08:39:46
Sundancer7

The top chef in Knoxville has totally refurbished a old Hardee's In Knoxville.  It is so different that you would not recoginize it.  It seats 90 on the inside and 120 on the outside.  He smokes his product on a huge smoker that sets on the outside.  It is a beautiful facility

Roz and I was extremely impressed.  I have been on the Knoxville scene for many  years and nothing in Knoxville ever never excited me.  I had their ribs and they were extremely crunchy on the outside and smooth as butter on the inside.  Their mac and cheese is made  using Benton's bacon ( many of you know Allen Benton expecially Al and Poverty) and they use scallions.  I did not care for their cole slaw though but the ribs were very good.  Somehow they smoke all day and insure that the prodcut is always fresh.  How they do it, I am not sure.  I got the small spare ribs for $8.95.  No sides.  I could only eat two of the four.

This is the only time I have ever suggested a BBQ in Knoxville but this is appearing like the real deal.  It is not a chain although the owner has a couple of other restaurants in Knoxville but not BBQ. 

Sundancer,  hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Rouxbarbecue announced it is closing, or has already closed. 

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

carlton pierre
Re:Knoxville, TN has finaaly got a good BBQ 2010/07/18 08:40:57
Sundancer,  Rouxbarbecue announced it is closing, and in fact has already closed.
rbpalmer
Cheeseburger
Re:Knoxville, TN has finaaly got a good BBQ 2011/01/03 17:18:25
JRPfeff

Paul,

Some of the best brisket I ever had was at the Lucky Rooster.  Remember that place?

Whatever happened to the quality at Calhoun's?  When I lived in Knoxville in the mid-80's, Calhoun's had outstanding barbecue.  Last time I tried it they had [Insert Bad Word Here].

Jim

How the mighty have fallen. On my last trip to Knoxville three weeks ago, I ate at Calhouns and the barbeque was literally inedible. The ribs were tough and dry, with no hint of a smoky taste. I had to send it back. The next night I searched for Rouxbarbeque, only to discover that the place had closed due, apparently, to a dispute between the chef, Bruce Bogertz, and his partner. Fortunately, Bogertz has another Knoxville location, Rouxbarb, www.rouxbarbfood.com , and I went there. The barbeque sampler was among the best I have had anywhere, with huge portions of pork spare ribs and chicken. The meat was so good that it didn't need sauce, and, accordingly, no sauce was provided. The other dishes offered looked good, also, but when I go back later this week on my next trip to Knoxville, it will be for the barbeque.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Knoxville, TN has finaaly got a good BBQ 2011/01/03 17:42:53
RB:  Thanks for the BBQ info.  I know they spent huge bucks on converting the place in Rocky Hill.  Some estimates were $2 million and one lady lost $500,000 on the deal.  I am not sure what happened and they were only open a couple of months at the best.  They got off to a rocky start with huge crowds and not much preparation but the food was good.

Thanks for your report.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Desolation Row
Junior Burger
Re:Knoxville, TN has finaaly got a good BBQ 2011/05/13 23:10:12
Guys, you need to try Archer's BBQ out on 11151 Kingston Pike in Farragut.  The best pulled pork sandwich I've had in Knoxville, and all the sides I've tried are good.  It's Memphis style Q. 
carlton pierre
Re:Knoxville, TN has finaaly got a good BBQ 2011/05/14 07:03:20
Hey man,  not familiar with Archer's.  Is that a fairly new place.  Knoxville is getting some BBQ restaurants now. 
MellowRoast
Re:Knoxville, TN has finaaly got a good BBQ 2011/05/14 09:07:48
I hate to hear this about Calhoun's.  I used to eat at the White Bridge Road location in Nashville regulary and loved it.  Their sauce rocks.
MellowRoast
Re:Knoxville, TN has finaaly got a good BBQ 2011/05/14 09:10:31
I'm not familiar with the Knoxville scene, but as large as the city is, I would have thought they'd be loaded with good barbecue.
carlton pierre
Re:Knoxville, TN has finaaly got a good BBQ 2011/05/15 08:30:27
In  my opinion Knoxville has more good BBQ joints now than anytime since I have lived here.  Doesn't strike me as a BBQ town.
Desolation Row
Junior Burger
Re:Knoxville, TN has finaaly got a good BBQ 2011/05/30 21:00:08
Carlton, I think Archer's has been open for a couple of months now.

carlton pierre
Re:Knoxville, TN has finaaly got a good BBQ 2011/06/26 07:28:48
I discovered an excellent BBQ truck yesterday in Oneida, TN on my way home from Big South Fork Nat Pk.  Pulled pork, and burgers and chicken, beef brisket.  The guy was smoking rith next to the truck and it was sooo good.  He said next week he is opening another truck next door just for desserts.  It's parked on the way into town on the south side of US 27.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Knoxville, TN has finaaly got a good BBQ 2011/06/26 12:21:32
Sounds super but it is not very close to Knoxville.  I went to the air show with the Miata group in Oneida two years ago.  There was a BBQ groups there with a truck.  I wonder if it was the same guy?

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Littleman
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Knoxville, TN has finaaly got a good BBQ 2011/09/03 13:51:50
Roux has closed.