So... What's growing in your garden?

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Filet Mignon
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2012/07/11 16:25:04
We have tomatoes for the first time ever; we cut down the large shade trees in the back yard last year (one was hollow, the other was starting to split), and now have a decent sun exposure. Still, with the deer eating everything, we went with hanging plants, two of them. Each plant looks like it will have a couple dozen fruit. We didn't get them in as early as Joe did, though. I'd say the closest are still a week or more away. If these work out, we'll do a few more next year, they're pretty easy to care for (water the heck out of them).
boyardee65
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2013/01/24 11:55:20
so, it's time to get the garden ready for the spring planting season. I am growing tomatoes, jalapenos, cilantro, green onions, lavender, and radishes. I already have radish sprouts as the weather here is mild this time if year. I cover them at night just in case of frost. I figure to plant the rest early in March. Anybody else getting ready to plant?

David O.

love2bake
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2013/01/24 12:20:57
I grow herbs and have a Meyer lemon tree.  We have such good farmers' markets in CA I don't grow anything else.  Plus I hate tomato worms.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2013/01/24 12:32:54
As I look outside at something like eight inches of snow, with more falling over the next few days and a HUGE warmup over 20 degrees predicted, I can't help but laugh hysterically at the thought of preparing the garden for planting. Spring planting here typically takes place around Mother's Day.
BelleReve
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2013/01/24 16:46:29
Parsley, cilantro, and chives.  I'm thinking about adding tarragon and thyme.  By May, it'll be too hot for the parsley and cilantro.   
ScreamingChicken
Filet Mignon
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2013/01/25 09:58:11
Have you gardeners been following the comic strip Crankshaft for the past week or so?
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2013/01/25 11:54:24
What garden?  It's 21 degrees here and snowing!  Here we can't plant until the end of May.  I do potted herbs......no sense in planting tomatoes, lettuce, eggplant, peppers, etc. when I can get them at a farm 15 mins. away.  And the corn is the best. 
boyardee65
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2013/02/21 14:38:42
Well, I have started tomatoes, jalapenos, and lavender inside on my window sill. A few sprouts but won't plant til the middle of March due to the unseasonably cold weather here in AZ. Basil, cilantro, dill, and parsley I will plant directly from seed in early May since they do very well here. I am so very ready for warmer weather.

David O.

Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2013/02/21 14:44:50
I have cucumbers, jalapeno, habanero, thai peppers in the starter tray and collards in the garden but not for long as I will till very shortly.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN 
Poverty Pete
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2013/02/21 14:48:14
Paul, I'm about out of Thai pepper flakes. I'm just sayin'...
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2013/02/21 15:03:56
Poverty Pete

Paul, I'm about out of Thai pepper flakes. I'm just sayin'...

I already have a fresh batch for you.  Last falls peppers are just now drying and ready to go into the blender just for you.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2013/02/21 15:12:58
I want some, too, Paul!
Poverty Pete
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2013/02/21 15:23:35
Ann, when next I see Al, I'll give him a little stash to pass on to you.
joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2013/02/21 15:29:22
Paul, As I sit here with cabin fever, I am envious of your growing season.  Nothing hits the ground here until late May.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2013/02/21 15:37:42
ann peeples

I want some, too, Paul!

Ann:  You may or you may not.  The pepper is a blend of habanero, thai and japapeno.  I put a teaspoon in some chili I made and it was way too hot.  Roz can tolerate the hot peppers and she ate a whole habanero last fall.

The next time I see PP, I will give him several dispensers full of the hot stuff.  Good luck.

Our peppers are now started in containers inside and it takes them about 4-5 weeks to sprout and about three months to fruit after that.  I must have had a bushel that we harvested last fall.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

lleechef
Sirloin
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2013/02/21 15:45:06
I want some too!  I love hot stuff!
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2013/02/22 08:37:25
I love hot-so does Bob! If some of the flakes make it my way, I will be careful.......
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2013/02/22 15:50:01
This looks like a fun pepper project...

http://www.thesurvivalist...your-own-pepper-spray/
carlton pierre
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2013/02/22 15:54:49
Looks like I'll be without a garden this year.  Just don't have time to put into it with some of the other things I have going.
boyardee65
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2013/03/04 14:34:56
 I just planted cayenne peppers yesterday. Next week I will put in the rest of the herbs. Dill, basil, lavender, cilantro, and Italian parsley. Two more weeks 'til the tomatoes go in the ground. I am going to try a few upside down tomato plants this year just for S&G.

David O.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2013/03/04 14:46:35
Getting ready to till under my winter greens consisting of collards, turnip and some other.  Once that is done, I will spray to garden to keep weeds from coming up.  I will have my gardener till the soil until it is very soft and get ready to plant onions, corn, okra, tomatoes, squash, cucumbers, peppers, radish, beans, garlic and other stuff.  I already have my various types of peppers (habanero, Thai, Jalapeno and others) in a planter ready to germinate. I invest enough with my fertilizer, irrigation system  hopefully insure a beautiful and tasty garden.

Paul E. Smith
post edited by Sundancer7 - 2013/03/04 14:48:06
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2013/03/04 16:32:09
My daffodils are showing about two inches of green through the snow right next to the house...does that count?
agnesrob
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2013/03/04 16:35:21
I'm so jealous! I've been seeing the seeds in the stores lately and it's giving me the gardening itch!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2013/03/04 16:53:27
felix4067

My daffodils are showing about two inches of green through the snow right next to the house...does that count?

Knoxville is too far north and not far enough south.  My daffodils are up and blooming despite the 21F temp in Knoxville.  I got about 250 of them in all stages of growth.  Spring will be here in a couple of weeks and I will have my yard guy till the garden this weekend if the soil is dry enough.

I sure do enjoy this time of the year anticipating what I am going to plant and watching it grow.  I had a friend who called it winter farming.

I sure do get a lot our of a pretty small garden.  Only about 75 feet long and about 20 feet wide.  A lot of produce comes from that small area with lotsa fertilizer and lotsa water.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN 

ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2013/03/04 18:17:19
Bob and I planted 300 daffodils and tulips, along with crocuses. The first year was gorgeous. We had to move......our new house has many daffodils-no show yet.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2013/03/04 18:28:28
About 25 years ago, I planted eight daffodils. Now I have some ungodly number of them, and about every three years I thin them out to the tune of two or three 5-gallon buckets full. They used to be in two different four-foot-wide spots in the front of my house (four bulbs in each section). Now they go from the porch to the corner (about 20 feet) and are starting to overrun my wildflower bed on the end of the house. They've also appeared in my back yard around the edges of my raspberry patch, behind my garage, and periodically throughout the lawn (I blame squirrels).
ces1948
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2013/03/04 20:55:57
I'm still getting a fairly good amount of Better Boy tomatoes from 3 plants along side the deck. The latest one aren't as tasty though and as is prevalent here in Florida the diseases are killing the plants and I'll be pulling them up soon. I have Eggplant, more tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers started and they have to go in the ground soon. Here in this part of Florida everything is pretty much is over by June.
tmiles
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2013/03/07 15:59:25
Snow
fishtaco
Double Cheeseburger
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2013/03/08 14:26:56
tmiles

Snow

Same here. Although temps are in the 40's today and in the 50's this weekend should get rid of that. Starting to plan what I will plant this year.

kland01s
Filet Mignon
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2013/03/08 15:41:44
felix4067

About 25 years ago, I planted eight daffodils. Now I have some ungodly number of them, and about every three years I thin them out to the tune of two or three 5-gallon buckets full. They used to be in two different four-foot-wide spots in the front of my house (four bulbs in each section). Now they go from the porch to the corner (about 20 feet) and are starting to overrun my wildflower bed on the end of the house. They've also appeared in my back yard around the edges of my raspberry patch, behind my garage, and periodically throughout the lawn (I blame squirrels).

Right now I have about 10 inches of snow that has been melting down. Thank heavens for the moisture!! We need it!! I bought the house in am in now in 1997 in October. I called a few contractors that had done work here for the 90 yr old previous owner and wanted to have some painting done. I gave the person my address and they responded, "Oh, the daffodil house" I got the same response when I called an electrician. Well spring came along and I found out we had daffodils up the wazzo. Hundreds and hundreds in nice neat straight rows. Over time we have tried to naturalize them, make a more scattered look and change the color from all white to anything but. They do grow!!!
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2013/03/13 11:16:07
I'm in the gathering (and steam cleaning) milk crate phase...for the very chic urban garden.
ChrisOC
Double Cheeseburger
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2013/03/13 12:19:32
Finally back home  after Sandy.  The daffodils are coming up, even though the were under 3 feet of salt water!
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2013/03/13 13:16:11
Congratulations!

New Jersey = Garden State.
agnesrob
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2013/03/13 20:49:23
ChrisOC

Finally back home  after Sandy.  The daffodils are coming up, even though the were under 3 feet of salt water!

That's so nice Chris!
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2013/03/14 15:56:16
my poor daffodils dont know which way to go.

They came up, weather got COLD and snowed and sleeted.
They came up again they got their little buns frozed again
The third time the stuck their heads up we had 4 inches of snow, and then 2 days later it was back in the 50's

I have given up on Spring this year.  I may plant some containers strawberries and a vine or two of tomatoes along with a window box or three of HOT PEPPERS!
agnesrob
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2013/03/14 19:12:07
I just noticed today in my garden, that the chives and parsley have tried to come up. Unfortunately it went down to below freezing last night! Oh, well, I guess they'll start again!  
boyardee65
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2013/03/24 21:48:42
Ok, radishes and garilc are up as well as the cayenne peppers. None of the herbs are up yet but I am hopeful. The weather here in AZ has been ideal for gardening. Around the mid 70's most of the week and no change in the forcast for the next 10 days. Ace Hardware just got in tomato plants so I will be planting those this weekend. I will try two varieties this year, yellow pear and grape tomatoes
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2013/03/25 11:59:37
We have a lovely 3 inches of snow growing in our garden.
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2013/03/28 12:35:32
Lisa

You could have been worse off, come this way towards Cincy and it got LOTS deeper with that last storm.

We got about 1/2" of crunchy ice pellets and they melted on contact.
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2013/03/28 12:40:53
I see my daffodil shoots! Ah, spring time in Wisconsin!
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2013/03/28 13:10:33
I am starting to see some beautiful yellow here and there.  I do LOVEEEEEEEEEE Daffodils. 
Especially the King Alfred or a Double King Alfred.  Not to fond of the white or the milk & honey (wh & yel)

I need to plant some more bulbs, my shrubs over took the bed last season and nothing came up in that bed this spring.

There is nothing like driving through the country side and seeing daffodils in the oddest of places.  You know that some time in the past someone was there.
fishtaco
Double Cheeseburger
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2013/03/28 13:47:30
lleechef

We have a lovely 3 inches of snow growing in our garden.

Melting snow now fills mine!

kland01s
Filet Mignon
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2013/03/28 14:32:13
No snow on the ground for several weeks now. Lots of tips of things coming up and the early wildflowers have come up. Lovely sunny fresh day today!
agnesrob
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2013/03/28 20:59:24
The weather keeps toying with us here! A nice thing though, yester day I saw a purple crocus blooming by a wild rose bush next to our kitchen steps.  We've lived here for the past 6 years and I have never seen this lone crocus before. So weird but really pretty! A nice surprise!
boyardee65
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2013/04/08 00:11:58
A lovely sight indeed. Lets us know that spring is on it's way. Everhthig here is doing great. Basil and cilantro is up in the herb garden but parsley and lavender not showing yet. Radishes going gangbusters til the weather gets hot. So love this time of year as we have so much promise of the new season. Good luck to all of the home gardeners and canners this year. Good harvest to all!!!
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2013/04/09 10:21:07
Enjoy the garden!

Radishes are good & quick little growers!
boyardee65
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2013/04/15 11:39:24
We have one lone daffodil plant in the yard. Last year the dog tore it up so no blooms. This year however, we got some pretty butter yellow blooms since I kept the dog out of the front yard. Irises have already bloomed and died but roses are in full bloom!! Smells heavenly. Harvesting radishes this weekend to make room for jalapeno and tomato plants. 

David O.
morningglory
Double Cheeseburger
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2013/04/22 01:09:04
What a special Spring blessing! Greetings from a former Flemington, NJ girl!

morningglory
Double Cheeseburger
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2013/04/22 01:09:24
What a special Spring blessing! Greetings from a former Flemington, NJ girl!

CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2013/05/10 19:31:53
We're getting there. Almost time...

post edited by CCinNJ - 2013/05/10 19:34:24
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2013/05/10 20:01:10
Annual garlic is up, sweet onions are up, beets are up and peaches and cream corn is up.  Peaches and cream is outstanding raw, grilled or broiled.  Last year we had better than 100 ears.  Getting ready to plant radishes, cucumbers, tomatoes, several types of sweet pepper to extremely hot. squash, zuchinni, okra, lettuce, beans and some other goodies .

Gardens are fun but believe me they are work keeping the weeds out and almost daily irrigation during the summer.  We are fortunate as we pump from the lake with 500 sprinkler heads between Mamaw  Smith.  Some folks thinks that is cheap pumping water from the Tennessee but believe me, that 220 pump running 6-8 hours a day consumes huge amounts of electricity. Perhaps $200 a month and that makes our home grown veggies very expensive but it is worth it several ways.  Joy of harvesting (work), joy of preserving (work), joy of picking corn and preparing it for the freezer(work( yields is joy through family enjoyment.  Did I mention five kind of peppers and five kind of cucumbers making relish and drying peppers for hot pepper shakes for seasoning with jalapeno, habanero and Thai.  You gotta be careful putting them in the blender as the dust will lay you down.  Fresh tomatoes daily and fresh onions and fresh zuchinni and squash sauted.  ??Double outstanding. 
Tilling the soil, killing the weeds, hoeing the garden makes me question from time to time.  Lets just go to the grocery store but the joy of the harvest can never be beat..

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2013/05/10 21:59:57
Spring flowers are in full bloom...daffodils, crocus, and hyacinth and going crazy. I've got a few trilliums, the vinca vine has a few blooms, and the lily of the valley should be blooming in a couple of days. My chives are about four inches long, and I'm seeing dill sprouts.

It's still a bit early to plant vegetables, but I have plans for a couple of weeks from now which involve zucchini and summer squash, maybe eggplant and radishes. It depends on how hard it is to reclaim what used to be the garden from what is now the yard.
RKB
Cheeseburger
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2013/05/11 11:25:07
My asparagus is coming in like crazy, I'm picking 1-2 lbs a day from only 10 plants. I started the bed 15 years ago and it is still going strong. the difference in flavor between store-bought imports and homegrown has to be tasted to be believed.

kland01s
Filet Mignon
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2013/05/11 12:00:53
Sundancer7

Annual garlic is up, sweet onions are up, beets are up and peaches and cream corn is up.  Peaches and cream is outstanding raw, grilled or broiled.  Last year we had better than 100 ears.  Getting ready to plant radishes, cucumbers, tomatoes, several types of sweet pepper to extremely hot. squash, zuchinni, okra, lettuce, beans and some other goodies .

Gardens are fun but believe me they are work keeping the weeds out and almost daily irrigation during the summer.  We are fortunate as we pump from the lake with 500 sprinkler heads between Mamaw  Smith.  Some folks thinks that is cheap pumping water from the Tennessee but believe me, that 220 pump running 6-8 hours a day consumes huge amounts of electricity. Perhaps $200 a month and that makes our home grown veggies very expensive but it is worth it several ways.  Joy of harvesting (work), joy of preserving (work), joy of picking corn and preparing it for the freezer(work( yields is joy through family enjoyment.  Did I mention five kind of peppers and five kind of cucumbers making relish and drying peppers for hot pepper shakes for seasoning with jalapeno, habanero and Thai.  You gotta be careful putting them in the blender as the dust will lay you down.  Fresh tomatoes daily and fresh onions and fresh zuchinni and squash sauted.  ??Double outstanding. 
Tilling the soil, killing the weeds, hoeing the garden makes me question from time to time.  Lets just go to the grocery store but the joy of the harvest can never be beat..

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Paul, I have seen photos of your garden and the end results and it is very impressive!!
love2bake
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2013/05/11 12:10:52
Wow, CC - beautiful!!!  What kind of grapes?
fishtaco
Double Cheeseburger
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2013/05/13 12:54:12
Here in West Central Indiana we still have Jack Frost nipping at our nose, yesterday and this AM. My tomato plants that I bought Saturday are still setting just inside my front door.
jm199
Cheeseburger
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2013/05/13 16:02:23
I am getting ready for the first cuttings from our rhubarb patch in our garden in the next week or two. I can't wait to bake a rhubarb pie!
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2013/05/14 10:29:13
Vidal Blanc wine grapes. They'll be lush & lovely in a few weeks. Good progress every day...

Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2013/05/14 17:03:55
We got a frost last night, glad we haven't planted anything yet!
fishtaco
Double Cheeseburger
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2013/05/15 14:24:51
Well. wait a couple days and no more frost. In the 80's the rest of the week. Tomatoes going in the ground tomorrow.
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5