NPR Does Roadfood

Cheeseburger
2010/06/06 15:39:08
This week NPR's All Things Considered did a story on Rhode Island "wieners" (don't call them hot dogs).  The setting was Ferrucci's New York System in West Warwick.  The Stern's reviewed a place with a similar name in Warwick for the 2002 book and there is a user review of another place with a similar name in Providence on this website.  But NPR made the place sound like it might be worth the trip.
You can read or listen to the story at npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127481915
kaszeta
Double Cheeseburger
Re:NPR Does Roadfood 2010/06/07 08:43:07
Personally, I liked the older Ferrucci's location, because it was gritty and blue collar.  The current place is sterile, bright formica.

And for the most part, Rhode Islanders don't call them "wieners".  They call them "weiners". ;)

Case in point:

seafarer john
Filet Mignon
Re:NPR Does Roadfood 2010/06/07 09:59:44
I before E except after C, and in WEINER....

Cheers, John 
michaelcarraher
Cheeseburger
Re:NPR Does Roadfood 2010/06/07 10:55:08
...or when sounded like "a" as in "neighbor" or "weigh."
Then there is a whole list of exceptions (like "foreign").
And when two vowels go walking the first one does the talking and it says its own name.  In which case we would be talking wine-ers.
But these are rules for English (and they don't work very well).  "Wiener" (short for "wienerwurst" and meaning Vienna sausage) is a German word.  I'm sure the Germans have their own rules.

Not only does NPR spell it "wiener" so do the Oxford English, Merriam-Webster, Random House and American Heritage dictionaries.

Even the Providence Journal spells it "wiener."