• Total Posts : 440
  • Reward points : 0
Re:Philly Cheesesteak - Sun, 06/6/10 9:10 PM
Pat's,Geno's? Where?

chefbuba
  • Total Posts : 1952
Re:Philly Cheesesteak - Mon, 06/14/10 11:24 AM
And this is a cheese steak, provolone wit from my place.... on a 9" Amoroso Roll.

Ahi Mpls.
  • Total Posts : 922
Re:Philly Cheesesteak - Mon, 06/14/10 1:40 PM
   WHERE?! x2 !!     they both look wonderful,(tho I think I am more of a WHIZ gal...)  please divulge the secret locations!    

carolina bob
  • Total Posts : 3420
Re:Philly Cheesesteak - Mon, 06/14/10 3:18 PM
chefbuba, that sandwich of yours is a truly beautiful thing.

kitty626
  • Total Posts : 49
Re:Philly Cheesesteak - Mon, 06/14/10 3:26 PM
Oooohhhh!!! You're making this former Philly girl sooo homesick!

snickerdoodle
  • Total Posts : 5
Re:Philly Cheesesteak - Mon, 06/14/10 4:32 PM
kitty626

Oooohhhh!!! You're making this former Philly girl sooo homesick!

DITTO :(

harriet1954
  • Total Posts : 1086
Re:Philly Cheesesteak - Mon, 06/14/10 7:36 PM
This is my boyfriend's mushroom cheesesteak from the Dairy Cottage in Springfield, Delaware County, PA, on April 11, 2010. There's not a lot of stuff on it (certainly not compared to the above photos), and I asked him to artistically apply the ketchup. Sorry I did not have much light to work with.

sk bob
  • Total Posts : 1801
Re:Philly Cheesesteak - Mon, 06/14/10 8:19 PM
ketchup? on a cheesesteak?  BLASPHAMY!!!

UncleVic
  • Total Posts : 6025
Re:Philly Cheesesteak - Mon, 06/14/10 9:02 PM
They all look good to me! (Even with the Ketchup).

will_work_4_bbq
  • Total Posts : 400
Re:Philly Cheesesteak - Mon, 06/14/10 10:35 PM
They are all beautiful!  I'd take any of them in a heartbeat!  We have some good vegetables and fabulous barbecue and other wonderful things here in Alabama, but I haven't found a worthy cheesesteak, darn it.

carolina bob
Re:Philly Cheesesteak - Mon, 06/14/10 11:07 PM
Ketchup on a cheesesteak, huh? All of a sudden, I don't feel so good...

joclyn
  • Total Posts : 360
Re:Philly Cheesesteak - Mon, 06/14/10 11:56 PM
huh?  what's wrong with ketchup on a cheesesteak??  that's the normal way to do it.  unless it's a pizza steak - then it gets some good gravy.  cheesesteak hoagies get mayo by the let/tom/onions and ketchup on the steak.

Ahi Mpls.
Re:Philly Cheesesteak - Tue, 06/15/10 12:39 AM
    Ruh-roh...

carolina bob
Re:Philly Cheesesteak - Tue, 06/15/10 7:48 AM
joclyn

huh?  what's wrong with ketchup on a cheesesteak??  that's the normal way to do it.  unless it's a pizza steak - then it gets some good gravy.  cheesesteak hoagies get mayo by the let/tom/onions and ketchup on the steak.

I've never heard of anyone putting ketchup on a cheesesteak before. Same for mustard, just in case that ever comes up. I have heard of folks using mayo as a cheesesteak condiment, but I don't see myself ever doing it.

harriet1954
Re:Philly Cheesesteak - Tue, 06/15/10 9:10 AM
I like the way people who aren't even from the area are telling a Philadelphian what to put on a cheesesteak.

Seems like every single thing I post that has anything to do with my region is questioned or made fun of. Interesting.

wanderingjew
  • Total Posts : 7386
Re:Philly Cheesesteak - Tue, 06/15/10 9:20 AM
harriet1954

I like the way people who aren't even from the area are telling a Philadelphian what to put on a cheesesteak.

Seems like every single thing I post that has anything to do with my region is questioned or made fun of. Interesting.

For what its worth, Harriet, I always put Ketchup on my cheeseteaks, that's when I'm lucky to even have one, perhaps every couple of years or so.

sk bob
Re:Philly Cheesesteak - Tue, 06/15/10 9:25 AM
I'm originally from New England & spent a lot of time in the Philly area on business & ate more than my share of steaks in that area.

harriet1954
Re:Philly Cheesesteak - Tue, 06/15/10 9:36 AM
OK...but why be nasty about it? And to WJ: It's obviously worth something to me, but probably little to nothing to people who don't appreciate your extensive knowledge of regional food. They only know THEIR way.

phlmaestro
  • Total Posts : 345
Re:Philly Cheesesteak - Tue, 06/15/10 9:38 AM
joclyn

Agreed on the ketchup. But I'd never put mayo on a cheesesteak; even a cheesesteak hoagie.

chefbuba
Re:Philly Cheesesteak - Tue, 06/15/10 11:04 AM
AHI MPLS

WHERE?! x2 !!     they both look wonderful,(tho I think I am more of a WHIZ gal...)  please divulge the secret locations!    

Curbside Grill

chefbuba
Re:Philly Cheesesteak - Tue, 06/15/10 11:08 AM
I have several hispanic customers that order steak & cheese....with mayo, lettuce & avocado... kind of like a torta for them....

carolina bob
Re:Philly Cheesesteak - Tue, 06/15/10 11:24 AM
Well, I've sure got egg on my face now. Since I had never heard of anyone putting ketchup on a cheesesteak before, my reaction was the same as if I saw someone putting it on an italian beef sandwich. Apparently though, this isn't an uncommon thing at all in Philly and surroundings, so I humbly retract my uninformed ( and dumb ) comment on the subject.

wanderingjew
Re:Philly Cheesesteak - Tue, 06/15/10 11:52 AM
Carolina Bob

Well, I've sure got egg on my face now.

Actually, it's cheese whiz

Carolina Bob

Since I had never heard of anyone putting ketchup on a cheesesteak before, my reaction was the same as if I saw someone putting it on an italian beef sandwich.

They don't???? Seriously, I agree, no ketchup on an Italian Beef, in fact I would shudder even more if someone put ....CHEESE.....on an Italian Beef.

Carolina Bob

Apparently though, this isn't an uncommon thing at all in Philly and surroundings, so I humbly retract my uninformed ( and dumb ) comment on the subject.

You're forgiven!

harriet1954
Re:Philly Cheesesteak - Tue, 06/15/10 12:31 PM
It's cool, Bob. You just didn't know. By the way, I took an informal poll in my office right after I read the reactions to my photo, and after asking 6 people who don't eat together and whose out-of-the-office eating habits I'm unfamiliar with, they ALL said they put ketchup on. I know of people who don't, but they don't "ugh" the fact that the majority do.

Later on I'll post the picture of my cheesesteak from that same restaurant, and other ones from my flickr if I can find them. I just don't eat peppers or onions, so you'll always find those missing from whatever I eat. I don't "ugh" the fact that others eat them. I just can't.

But it's cool. The whole thing about Roadfood is that you learn what others do in different parts of the country, and respect what they do, and learn from them and broaden your RF horizons. That's all.

buffetbuster
  • Total Posts : 9788
Re:Philly Cheesesteak - Tue, 06/15/10 12:41 PM
As a Pittsburgher, maybe I should suggest putting fries and cole slaw on it.

wanderingjew
Re:Philly Cheesesteak - Tue, 06/15/10 12:48 PM
buffetbuster

As a Pittsburgher, maybe I should suggest putting fries and cole slaw on it.

Perhaps you should consider putting fries and slaw on the next couple of slices of pie that you order!

susanll
  • Total Posts : 1077
Re:Philly Cheesesteak - Tue, 06/15/10 12:52 PM
harriet1954

It's cool, Bob. You just didn't know. By the way, I took an informal poll in my office right after I read the reactions to my photo, and after asking 6 people who don't eat together and whose out-of-the-office eating habits I'm unfamiliar with, they ALL said they put ketchup on. I know of people who don't, but they don't "ugh" the fact that the majority do.

Later on I'll post the picture of my cheesesteak from that same restaurant, and other ones from my flickr if I can find them. I just don't eat peppers or onions, so you'll always find those missing from whatever I eat. I don't "ugh" the fact that others eat them. I just can't.

But it's cool. The whole thing about Roadfood is that you learn what others do in different parts of the country, and respect what they do, and learn from them and broaden your RF horizons. That's all.

Well said ma'am.

buffetbuster
Re:Philly Cheesesteak - Tue, 06/15/10 1:03 PM
wj-
That is certainly no crazier than the slices of bacon I saw ChiTownDiner putting on his pecan pie in Charleston!

Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
  • Total Posts : 1350
Re:Philly Cheesesteak - Tue, 06/15/10 1:10 PM
Bacon on pecan pie... I love that idea!  Sprinkled on top to crisp up with the pecans - that could be good.

buffetbuster
Re:Philly Cheesesteak - Tue, 06/15/10 1:15 PM
Bruce-
Just to be clear, this was CTD's breakfast.  Not that there is anything wrong with that.

ScreamingChicken
  • Total Posts : 4729
Re:Philly Cheesesteak - Tue, 06/15/10 1:16 PM
Does anyone market an actual "cheesesteak sauce" in the Philadelphia area?  Because of the cheese and the fat from the meat something slightly more vinegary than ketchup but still tomato-based sounds like it might be a good fit.  Kind of like a barbecue sauce but without the smoke flavoring, or the "secret Stadium sauce" served at Miller Park in Milwaukee.

Brad

oopsme
  • Total Posts : 18
Re:Philly Cheesesteak - Tue, 06/15/10 1:18 PM
Just about every Italian Beef stand in the Chicago area offer the option of ordering a cheesy beef. The cheese is always provolone or mozzarella.

buffetbuster
Re:Philly Cheesesteak - Tue, 06/15/10 1:19 PM
From Chink's:

Re:Philly Cheesesteak - Tue, 06/15/10 1:19 PM
buffetbuster

Bruce-
Just to be clear, this was CTD's breakfast.  Not that there is anything wrong with that.

He's a man of good taste.

Jim2903
  • Total Posts : 232
Re:Philly Cheesesteak - Tue, 06/15/10 1:22 PM
wanderingjew

I would shudder even more if someone put ....CHEESE.....on an Italian Beef. 

Cheese on Italian beef is quite common in Chicago. For example: http://www.zippysrestaurants.com/

Just had a Zippy's on Sunday, in fact. Usually I prefer just hot giardiniera, but now and then a cheezy beef is real nice.

TJ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 4484
Re:Philly Cheesesteak - Tue, 06/15/10 1:24 PM
Raw onion on an italian beef is really good too

wanderingjew
Re:Philly Cheesesteak - Tue, 06/15/10 1:26 PM
oopsme

Just about every Italian Beef stand in the Chicago area offer the option of ordering a cheesy beef. The cheese is always provolone or mozzarella.

Just a straight beef for me "wet-hot n' sweet"
(no innuendo's were intentionally indicated)
<message edited by wanderingjew on Tue, 06/15/10 1:28 PM>

Re:Philly Cheesesteak - Tue, 06/15/10 1:32 PM
I'm pretty narrow, as far as cheesesteaks go.  I only eat 'em with Cheez Whiz and fried onions, and pickled hot peppers and/or hot sauce if they have 'em out as a garnish.  That said, as someone who has lived in the Philly area for quite some time, it's really surprising how varied the local cheesesteak palate has become.  Not only are chicken cheesesteaks common, but all sorts of versions with things like barbecue sauce, pepperoni, bacon, all sorts of cheeses, and pizza sauce can be easily found locally.  Around Allentown, pickles are commonly added.  On the NJ side of the city you'll find versions prepared with potatoes like an Italian dog, and some with pork roll added to the mix.

TJ Jackson
Re:Philly Cheesesteak - Tue, 06/15/10 1:41 PM
A Tony Luke's pizza cheesesteak was featured as one of the 'best things I ever ate" on the Food network the other night

fattybomatty
  • Total Posts : 1017
Re:Philly Cheesesteak - Tue, 06/15/10 1:45 PM

I'm pretty narrow, as far as cheesesteaks go.  I only eat 'em with Cheez Whiz and fried onions, and pickled hot peppers and/or hot sauce if they have 'em out as a garnish.  That said, as someone who has lived in the Philly area for quite some time, it's really surprising how varied the local cheesesteak palate has become.  Not only are chicken cheesesteaks common, but all sorts of versions with things like barbecue sauce, pepperoni, bacon, all sorts of cheeses, and pizza sauce can be easily found locally.  Around Allentown, pickles are commonly added.  On the NJ side of the city you'll find versions prepared with potatoes like an Italian dog, and some with pork roll added to the mix.

Grew up in Jersey all my life.  Went to get cheesesteaks with my one friend who also was born and raised in Jersey.  I put ketchup on my cheesesteak.  He looked at me like I was crazy.  He asked in a shocked tone, "you put ketchup on your cheesesteak?!"  Well besides the fact that he just watched me do it, I responded. "Of course.  That's what people normally put on a cheesesteak."  He told me he only ever had it with sauce.  I told him then he has only ever had a pizza steak and not a real cheesesteak.  

I'll tell you, Pork roll on a cheesesteak is pretty freaking good.  Usually when mayo is on a cheesesteak it is called a California Cheesesteak.  

I prefer mine with Whiz and fried onions.  Every now and then I'll get a pizza steak.  

wanderingjew
Re:Philly Cheesesteak - Tue, 06/15/10 1:58 PM
here is my contribution from Campo's Market in Philly

TJ Jackson
Re:Philly Cheesesteak - Tue, 06/15/10 2:05 PM
from Steve's Prince of Steaks on the North side, circa July 2006

looks terrible, tastes great

Note the large unchopped slabs of tender steak - I prefer this style over the heavily chopped up versions

<message edited by TJ Jackson on Tue, 06/15/10 4:14 PM>

Wintem01
  • Total Posts : 205
Re:Philly Cheesesteak - Tue, 06/15/10 2:08 PM
harriet1954

Don't sweat it Harriet. I put (gulp) mayo on my hot dogs which I'm sure is on the blasphemy list for many on Roadfood. But as the late Gary Coleman would say, "Different strokes for different folks."

Re:Philly Cheesesteak - Tue, 06/15/10 2:10 PM
I don't do it but plenty of locals put ketchup on their cheesesteaks.  What throws me more is how many people put ketchup on their pork roll and cheese (with or without egg).  I'd even venture to say that it is the preferred arrangement, to the point that it's a good idea to specify "no ketchup" when you order one, if you don't think it belongs.  I didn't grow up around here, and they did, but it just seems, and tastes, so wrong to me.

Jim2903
Re:Philly Cheesesteak - Tue, 06/15/10 2:12 PM
Wintem01

Don't sweat it Harriet. I put (gulp) mayo on my hot dogs which I'm sure is on the blasphemy list for many on Roadfood. But as the late Gary Coleman would say, "Different strokes for different folks."

No, I think he'd say, "Whatchoo talkin' 'bout, Wintem?"

fattybomatty
Re:Philly Cheesesteak - Tue, 06/15/10 2:13 PM

I don't do it but plenty of locals put ketchup on their cheesesteaks.  What throws me more is how many people put ketchup on their pork roll and cheese (with or without egg).  I'd even venture to say that it is the preferred arrangement, to the point that it's a good idea to specify "no ketchup" when you order one, if you don't think it belongs.  I didn't grow up around here, and they did, but it just seems, and tastes, so wrong to me.

I think the only way to eat a pork roll and cheese or a pork roll, egg and cheese is with ketchup.  I believe my mom uses mustard, but ketchup is the way to go.  If it has egg with it than salt, pepper, ketchup said REALLY fast

ddbmus
  • Total Posts : 6
Re:Philly Cheesesteak - Tue, 06/15/10 2:15 PM
Born, and lived 27 years, in suburban Philadelphia. Been away from there for 26 years--23 here in Atlanta. Never thought I'd find anything approaching a cheesesteak from "home," BUT if you're ever in metro Atlanta, Roy's in Smyrna (a NW suburb) has a cheesesteak to rival anything in PHL. (I know, I know....blasphemy!)

eruby
  • Total Posts : 585
Re:Philly Cheesesteak - Tue, 06/15/10 2:52 PM
TJ Jackson

from Steve's Prince of Steaks on the North side, circa July 2006

looks terrible, tastes great

Note the large unchopped slabs of tender steak - I prefer this style fo the heavily chopped up versions
+1 for Steve's!  Always make the trip up to Bustleton Ave whenever I'm in Philly. 

Re:Philly Cheesesteak - Tue, 06/15/10 3:05 PM
fattybomatty

I think the only way to eat a pork roll and cheese or a pork roll, egg and cheese is with ketchup.  I believe my mom uses mustard, but ketchup is the way to go.  If it has egg with it than salt, pepper, ketchup said REALLY fast

Every once in a while I'll try a bite with ketchup - I keep thinking the combo will eventually click - but I haven't been sold yet.  I think it's the cured pork thing, which seems to marry so well with mustard.  Though if there's egg, then I don't want mustard either.

brookquarry
  • Total Posts : 277
Re:Philly Cheesesteak - Tue, 06/15/10 4:34 PM
Cheesesteaks, like most Roadfood, is subject to regional variations.
In the Lehigh Valley, where I live the default version of the cheesesteak comes with sauce.
My wife likes this version, which means that, when we are in Philly she has to order a pizza steak.
I, on the other hand prefer my chesesteak without sauce but with ketchup (and Mushrooms).
Locally, this means I have to tell the server "CHEESESTEAK, HOLD THE SAUCE". When I then proceed to add ketchup, I sometimes get some quizical looks-like why are you adding back in something similar to what you told us to withold.
The answer, of course, is that ketchup is quite different than marinara sauce. Also, if I add the ketchup I can control the quantity (I typically put on far less ketchup than the amount of sauce that the kitchen would normally add).

sk bob
Re:Philly Cheesesteak - Tue, 06/15/10 5:07 PM
hey Harriet, don't take it personal, it's all good.
to each his own taste.

joclyn
  • Total Posts : 360
Re:Philly Cheesesteak - Tue, 06/15/10 6:25 PM
Carolina Bob

joclyn

I've never heard of anyone putting ketchup on a cheesesteak before. Same for mustard, just in case that ever comes up. I have heard of folks using mayo as a cheesesteak condiment, but I don't see myself ever doing it.

you've obviously never had an authentic philly cheesesteak.

EDIT

and after i hit submit i saw your next comment about not being aware that ketchup is the 'usual' condiment (not including the cheese - whether it's regular or whiz). 

any place, other than this general area (pa/nj/de/md), that i've been to that had a place that offered 'philly cheesesteaks' has always topped them with ketchup. even out in spokane, wa.  

i'm really surprised that people find it THAT unusual!  

as for 'cheese sauce' the closest thing is the cheez whiz stuff. traditionally speaking, that is.  and i have to say, none of the places i've frequently my whole life used the stuff - is usually american and sometimes provolone.  the 'whiz' thing is south philly in origin/custom i think...and i've never even been to pat's or geno's so i've never even had a cheesesteak with the stuff!  

when i lived in s jersey, pepperoni on steaks was the 'thing' and very common at just about every place.  i don't see that here in pa, tho.  

chicken (cheese)steaks have become popular and that's usually what i get now.  just makes for a 'lighter' sandwich that doesn't leave you so 'bloated' as the beef sometimes can.

cheesesteak hoagies (as they're called around here) have the mayo on the roll and then the vegy's and then the meat/cheese - for that one, actually, ketchup is not usually put on unless you ask for it.

pork roll sandwich with ketchup?  bleh, not for me!  gotta have mustard! 

some things are regional customs and some things are personal preference.  nothing is right or wrong - so, no reason to knock people for anything.  especially when they're talking about something that they DO know since that's what they grew up with.  better thing to do would be to try it their way; you may find that you actually like it!  or maybe not...either way, no reason anyone to be rude.

<message edited by joclyn on Tue, 06/15/10 6:45 PM>

ChiTownDiner
  • Total Posts : 2634
Re:Philly Cheesesteak - Tue, 06/15/10 8:09 PM

buffetbuster

Bruce-

He's a man of good taste.

Impeccable...but alas, no ketchup on my bacon or pie...sorry!

Ahi Mpls.
Re:Philly Cheesesteak - Tue, 06/15/10 9:13 PM
  Okay Dale, I think that Campo's steak wins my Drooooool award....BUT is the bread as squishey-crusty delicious as it looks?  Or is it a wee bit Too much-Too bready?  hard to tell. 

saps
  • Total Posts : 1551
Re:Philly Cheesesteak - Tue, 06/15/10 9:38 PM
oopsme

They do?  I've never seen them offered at Johnnie's, Mr. Beef, or any of the old school places.  I've seen cheese on Italian beef at places that typically don't do Italian Beef well and have about 60 other things on the menu.

wanderingjew
Re:Philly Cheesesteak - Wed, 06/16/10 8:19 AM
AHI MPLS

Okay Dale, I think that Campo's steak wins my Drooooool award....BUT is the bread as squishey-crusty delicious as it looks?  Or is it a wee bit Too much-Too bready?  hard to tell. 

Dawn,
This cheesesteak was served on a Sarcone's Roll- that's the real deal-  you can't do better than that- Crusty and Chewey? yes, squishey?- a little but firm enough to hold its own...

This was on my Saturday and Sunday cheesesteak smack down back in April 2008 . Cheesewit joined me for the suburban tour the first day and I did the city tour on my own the next day...Campo's actually tied 2nd place with Al Forno.

The #1 cheesteak on that trip was actually...

Lorenzo's Pizza in Philly- no cheesewiz here- just straight american cheese "wit"
<message edited by wanderingjew on Wed, 06/16/10 8:21 AM>

Jim2903
Re:Philly Cheesesteak - Wed, 06/16/10 10:28 AM
saps

oopsme

They do?  I've never seen them offered at Johnnie's, Mr. Beef, or any of the old school places.  I've seen cheese on Italian beef at places that typically don't do Italian Beef well and have about 60 other things on the menu.

Old-school Al's does Italian beef well and offers cheese as an option, though the choices of cheddar and American are puzzling: http://www.alsbeef.com/company/menu.asp

Portillo's does good beef and also offers cheese. Again, not what I always get on my beef, but now and then a nice change of pace.

fattybomatty
Re:Philly Cheesesteak - Wed, 06/16/10 10:31 AM
I was shocked to find in nyc there is an actually good cheesesteak place. It's called shortys.  Used to be a tony lukes.   Thank god I found this place for my cheesesteak cravings

Change Page: 12345 > | Showing page 1 of 5, messages 1 to 60 of 258