Hot!On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin!

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Author
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6411
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! 2010/06/21 10:20:04 (permalink)
douginvirginia

mayor al

I need some one to explain something to me. In the comments about the HARBOR VIEW CAFE The thought about them serving "Canadian Walleye" was received with Positive thoughts as a good thing to see on the menu. Yet when we talk of "Imported Seafood" in terms of Crabs in  Maryland, Fish in Florida, and Shrimp everywhere, we get a real solid "it's a BAD thing". Are we we profiling the source of our seafood??? 

Mr. Mayor,

There is no commercial walleye fishery in Wisconsin (probably in the entire US). Thus, you'd have to catch your own, or have a good friend. That said, regardless of which side of the border it comes from, walleye is some of the best eatin' you'll ever have. 

There is only one commercial walleye fishery in the USA that I know of and that is the Red Lake Nations Foods in Minnesota.

http://www.redlakenationfoods.com/index.html

The main fishing goal in Minnesota and somewhat in Wisconsin is walleye. Since Minnesota leads the nation in per capita boats and fishing licenses they have a legitimate claim to to most of the population having eaten non-imported walleye probably more so than say Hoosiers eating southern farm raised catfish instead of home caught.

I've had local fresh caught walleye (but rarely) in restaurants in Minnesota. It is very much a regional staple in restaurants where walleye is on the menu more than naught in Minnesota if fish is on the menu. No other state, including Wisconsin, can make that claim. Wisconsin is more apt to substitute perch and white fish over walleye in many instances. Most of the supply of walleye comes from the Canadian province of Manitoba adjacent to Minnesota.

marence
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 23
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! 2010/06/23 07:53:12 (permalink)
Davydd

The main fishing goal in Minnesota and somewhat in Wisconsin is walleye. Since Minnesota leads the nation in per capita boats and fishing licenses they have a legitimate claim to to most of the population having eaten non-imported walleye probably more so than say Hoosiers eating southern farm raised catfish instead of home caught. I've had local fresh caught walleye (but rarely) in restaurants in Minnesota. It is very much a regional staple in restaurants where walleye is on the menu more than naught in Minnesota if fish is on the menu. No other state, including Wisconsin, can make that claim. Wisconsin is more apt to substitute perch and white fish over walleye in many instances. Most of the supply of walleye comes from the Canadian province of Manitoba adjacent to Minnesota.

What about Lake Erie walleye???  Northeast Ohioans love their fresh-caught walleye. And boy is it GOOD.
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! 2010/06/23 08:56:48 (permalink)
Lake Erie walleye? More promo than fact in comparison. For example, I checked as many menus as I could in and around Geneva-on-the-Lake, OH and found no walleye, but did find perch.
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! 2010/06/23 11:08:53 (permalink)
If I don't hear more from BB soon, I'm going on a wildcat strike. Only a superhero like Wolverine could save us from this fate. Ill lie me nye if this happens.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10475
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! 2010/06/23 11:50:33 (permalink)
Wisconsin truly is one of the best states for pie.  As if Stockholm Pie Company isn't proof enough, consider the Holy Hill Cafe .  For the first day or so of the trip, we were joined in Milwaukee by that illustrious eater, ChiTownDiner.

Located a little less than an hour from downtown Milwaukee, this is one of the most scenic and historic Roadfood settings.

Also known as The Old Monastery Inn Cafe,

we were the first customers of the day when they opened.  We were greeted by signs listing the days specials and pie selections. 

Guess which one we were more interested in?

But things were different now than in my previous visit.  Instead of utilizing the cafeteria line,

they now have waitress service.  Johnny and I started our meals with bowls of homey cheesy vegetable soup.

Sandwich-wise, Johnny and I split a generously stuffed egg salad,

which came with lettuce on it.  The side of potato salad tasted very fresh and strong on the mayo.  We all liked it.  ChiTownDiner seemed to be quite pleased with BLT.

Okay, now that we got the appetizers out of the way, it was time for the real reason we were here.  In case we didn't remember, this sign reminded us.

In the interest of being thorough, we ordered four slices of pie: Caramel Apple,

Fruits of the Forest,

Cherry

and Blueberry.

It didn't take long for all three of us to start making yummy noises, because these pies were excellent.  All of them were loaded with fresh, sweet fruit, in a thick, yet flaky crust.  To my surprise, the Blueberry Pie was clearly the best to my taste and I'm not usually a big blueberry lover.  Both Johnny and CTD named the Caramel Apple as their #1.  Since it was loaded with walnuts and I'm a nut frowner, I just picked at it.  All of us agreed that the Cherry Pie finished last, although the typical diner would be thrilled to serve a pie as good as this Cherry Pie.  Here is a photo of Johnny and CTD in full pie eating mode.

Not one to rest on his laurels, CTD grabbed a whole pie to go, which had just come out of the oven. 

I believe it was Blackberry Peach and I will leave the desciption to him.

Taking care of us at Holy Hill Cafe was our waitress Niki (on the right) 

and the head chef, Christina.  The man who used to run the place, Frank, is no longer here.  Obviously, Holy Hill Cafe is in good hands with these nice ladies.

Since we were here, we did check out the beautiful inside of the church

and the view surrounding it.  Next, we headed north towards Sheboygan.

Holy Hill Cafe
1525 Carmel Road
Hubertus, WI
262-628-4295

[link=http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Reviews/3762/holy-hill-cafe]http://www.roadfood.com/R...ws/3762/holy-hill-cafe[/link]

post edited by buffetbuster - 2010/06/23 11:55:46
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! 2010/06/23 11:57:29 (permalink)
mr chips

If I don't hear more from BB soon, I'm going on a wildcat strike. Only a superhero like Wolverine could save us from this fate. Ill lie me nye if this happens.
Sorry for the delay.  I was out of town for most of the last few days.  The pace will be picked up from here!

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! 2010/06/23 16:22:41 (permalink)
Once in Sheboygan, we made a quick stop at City Bakery

Most of the bread was already sold out for the day, but we picked up some cookies

and CTD grabbed some sweet rolls 

to take home.  Our first serious stop was at Miesfeld's Meat Market, which has an amazing selection of brats and other meats available to take home.

I bought a selection of meat sticks for snacking on the road, highlighted by the excellent Cajun flavor.

To our good fortune, the local law enforcement was having a brat fry.

Here is where you place your order:

For just a couple bucks, you got a perfectly grilled brat on a soft roll. 

They had a small fixins table and I added some brown mustard and a slice of onion.  Along with a Sprecher's Cherry Soda, which was purchased inside, this was a memorable little meal.  When I got to the picnic table, Johnny and CTD were already sitting on one side.  Unfortunately, the bench on the other side was broke and laying on the ground, which forced me to eat while on my knees, much to the amusement of the other two.

I've never felt so short!

More brats to come.....

Miesfeld's Meat Market
4811 Venture Drive
Sheboygan, WI
920-565-6328

http://www.miesfelds.com/index.htm
post edited by buffetbuster - 2010/06/25 16:00:59
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3010
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! 2010/06/23 16:56:49 (permalink)
I beleive the bench was perfectly fine prior to your arrival which was post a 4-piece pie stop.

Doing the math in my head and I come up with...
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15321
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! 2010/06/23 19:49:31 (permalink)
I have 12  4 packs of the Cherry Cola sitting here ready for our 4th of July Picnic. I love the stuff. Sprechers makes "Ravin' Red, a Cranberry Cherry Soda that is great also.  Keep the reports coming.
AL
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2766
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! 2010/06/23 23:53:04 (permalink)

Slightly off topic, but here's a picture of Holy Hill taken from the Erin Hills Golf Course.  The USGA announced last week that the 2017 U.S. Open will be played at Erin Hills.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! 2010/06/24 09:05:25 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner

I beleive the bench was perfectly fine prior to your arrival which was post a 4-piece pie stop.
Now, THAT just seems unnecessary!   If memory serves me, I had a little bit of help with those pies.

Mayor Al-
Thanks for the tip on Sprecher's Cranberry/Cherry.  I did see it in a couple of places, but neglected to try it.  Next time!

JRPfeff-
Nice photo!  That really is beautiful country around there.
post edited by buffetbuster - 2010/06/24 09:14:58
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3764
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! 2010/06/24 10:11:37 (permalink)
Please alert me when I make an appearance in this thread.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! 2010/06/24 10:18:09 (permalink)
TTM-
Oh, were you in Wisconsin, too?
moneypenny27
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 27
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! 2010/06/24 10:48:04 (permalink)
I will start out by saying I'm not a fan of pie, obviously something must be wrong with ME, I prefer cake.  Any other cake lovers out there? Anyway.....

I used to work at an establishment that did a brisk business in SYSCO pies and truthfully any time I see a pie list with "Fruit of the Forest" on it I am suspect that the pies are not homemade.  Also the SYSCO pie is "Caramel Apple Nut" technically speaking.

So were the pies SYSCO's finest?
post edited by moneypenny27 - 2010/06/24 10:59:40
blizzardstormus
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 275
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! 2010/06/24 10:54:21 (permalink)
Buffetbuster, you're making me regret leaving Wisconsin. Nothing better than a Sheboygan brat!
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5207
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! 2010/06/24 11:37:21 (permalink)
buffetbuster

CJ: "What the--OWWWWW!"
CTD: "I told you to leave that pie alone or I'd stab you in the elbow!!"
Frankly, when certain groups of RFers get together I'm surprised blood isn't spilled on a more regular basis.

Brad
post edited by Brad_Olson - 2010/06/24 11:48:08
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! 2010/06/24 13:57:08 (permalink)
I wish there were more refectories in the US--a place to eat located in a church.  I don't know if Holy Hill qualifies as a refectory, but I think they're lovely.  And that looks like the spread of pies to end all.  I would have had a really hard time deciding from that list.  Lovely brats too Cliff!
zataar
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1440
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! 2010/06/24 14:10:27 (permalink)
Holy Hill is lovely. I always like seeing a woman chef.

BB, I called several places in KC inquiring about sour cream raisin pie. No one is making sour cream raisin here.
One person had never heard of it, but she was from Southern Missouri. I'll keep checking.

The pies in your photos look amazing.
Ahi Mpls.
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 923
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! 2010/06/24 17:01:20 (permalink)
  I for one would like to declare my undying love to the brat BUN!   My Stepmom is from Sheboygan Falls, & I grew up with freezers full of those rolls, "Freddies" (sausage sticks) and disgusting yet addictive Salami Cheese.     Not to sound overly picky, but your brat looked to be smoked.... I do believe the ( ! ) proper brat is fresh, simmered in yellow beer and yellow onions, and then cooked over charcoal.... I've had the smoked ones, and while delish, are really more akin to a polish sausage or other smoked tubemeat.  just my opionion, but FYI, I hold duel citizenship MN/WI.  Born in Dane County General Baby!  
stricken_detective
  • Total Posts : 2346
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! 2010/06/25 09:04:43 (permalink)
Last time I was @ Miesfeld's, Weight Watchers was having a bake sale outside. I am not making this up. We missed the brat fry as I had to get to the south side of Chicago later that day for Carolina Bob's South Side Tour.

We are going tomorrow, will have to empty out the card on the camera so I can take pics.

Thank you for the pie review, can't remember the last time I was @ Holy Hill so maybe Sunday is Pieday?
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! 2010/06/25 09:31:30 (permalink)
blizzardstormus
Buffetbuster, you're making me regret leaving Wisconsin. Nothing better than a Sheboygan brat!
As much as I enjoy those Sheboygan brats, I would gladly trade one for a slice of your mother's sour cream raisin pie!

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! 2010/06/25 09:38:55 (permalink)
stricken detective-
I hope you make it to Holy Hill Cafe on Sunday.  If you go, please let us know how they are.  Oh, and everyday is pie day!

AHI MPLS-
Needless to say, I will take your word for it, that the brat was smoked.  I know better than to argue with a Dane County General baby about brats!

zataar-
Thanks for calling around about the sour cream raisin pie.  It looks like I missed my chance while in Omaha.  But, that banana pudding at Niecie's made up for it!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! 2010/06/25 13:26:14 (permalink)
I have been to Sheboygan many times, but had somehow neglected to eat at Schulz's Restaurant.  We made a special point to stop in on this trip.  The sign

says they specialize in charcoal grilled sandwiches.  And they have a great little mural on the side wall.

The inside is kind of dark, with two large U-shaped counters. 

When we walked in and sat at a table in the back, one of the locals stared at us for a good five minutes, until I started staring back at him. 

Johnny started his meal off with a cup of the broccoli cheese soup.

Even though double brats very well may be the way to go, we all only had enough appetities for singles.  Here, they come in patty form.  CTD and Johnny went with yellow mustard, relish and raw onion,

while I like mine with brown mustard, pickle and onion.

The buns here were a not quite as airy as at Miesfeld's, but still nice and soft.  The brat had plenty of charcoal flavor, but to be honest, none of us could tell very much taste difference between these mild sausages.  Apparently, we don't possess finely tuned brat taste buds, but they sure were delicious!

You can't possibly come to Sheboygan without trying their best known dessert, the torte.  So, the three of us split two tortes.  The butterfinger

was sweet and light, but took a backseat to the poppyseed.

What caught us off guard about it was the slight hint of orange flavor in it.  Excellent!

Schulz's Restaurant
1644 Calumet Drive
Sheboygan, WI
920-452-1880

Even though we were all pretty much stuffed at this point, we couldn't help but notice that the Roadfood reviewed Charcoal Inn North

was just down the street.  Nobody wanted to be the first to say no more, so I walked in and asked them for one double brat, sliced in thirds.  The nice people here thought it was a strange request, but happily complied.  The brats

here are butterflied and extra buttery.  The bun is supersoft and airy.  This was my favorite brat.  Here is a cross section view of my third, with brown mustard and onion:

Charcoal Inn North
1637 Geele Avenue
Sheboygan, WI
920-458-1147

http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Reviews/313/charcoal-inn

Of the three brats we tried on this afternoon, the one from the Charcaol Inn was the butteriest, but the one from Miesfeld's Meats was the juiciest.  All three of them get thumbs up from us.

post edited by buffetbuster - 2010/06/25 13:29:57
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! 2010/06/25 13:42:29 (permalink)
The next day, Johnny and I were in Manitowoc, taking a tour of the USS Cobia submarine,

part of the Wisconsin Maritime Museum.  The lovely young tour guide seemed to know all about our eating plans.  Here she is informing the group how many restaurants Johnny and I had been to that day

and then later, how many we would have visited if ChiTownDiner was still with us.

[link=http://www.wisconsinmaritime.org/%3C/a%3E%3C/font%3E]http://www.wisconsinmarit..org/%3C/a%3E%3C/font%3E[/link]
post edited by buffetbuster - 2010/06/25 13:52:20
zataar
  • Total Posts : 1440
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! 2010/06/25 14:08:34 (permalink)
The poppyseed torte looks almost like a cheesecake. Is that a graham cracker crust?
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! 2010/06/25 14:13:46 (permalink)
buffetbuster
When we walked in and sat at a table in the back, one of the locals stared at us for a good five minutes, until I started staring back at him. 

Wearing a Minnesota Vikings jersey were you? 

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! 2010/06/25 14:40:13 (permalink)
While spending the night at Green Bay, we made a late night visit to Curly's Pub.  This sports bar is right inside Lambeau Field, home of the Green Bay Packers.  It is located on the second level and you get a nice view of the inside of the stadium from up high.

When we walked in, these was only one other table being used and they left soon after.  Considering how big this place is, it seemed odd to have it to ourselves.  But the waitress, dressed in Packers clothes, was Wisconsin friendly and made us feel at home.

To drink, I asked for a Sprecher root beer, but was told they only carry Baumeister brand sodas.  Once I found out that they are also made in Wisconsin, I ordered one.

Sweet and creamy, but not as good as Sprecher's.

As an appetizer, there was no doubt that cheese curds would be our choice. 

These are crunchy bits of deep fried heaven and we thought this version was the best we ate on the entire trip.  The marinara dipping sauce on the side was unnecessary.  Both of us tried the Cheesehead Beer Cheese Soup.

Made with cheddar cheese and their own ale, this thick, ultra-strong soup was also a hit with us.

For an entree, an almost full Johnny went for the grilled cheese,

which was ordinary.  Unfortunately, I pushed my luck with the cheese theme of the meal and my baked macaroni and cheese was awful. 

The cheese didn't taste right and it seemed like it came straight from a box.  I've had better Kraft macaroni & cheese.

Before we left, we walked around and looked at all the Packers displays adorning the walls. 

This place really is a cool sports bar and despite the one bad item, we enjoyed our visit.

Curly's Pub
1201 Lombardi Avenue
Green Bay, WI
920-965-6970 

[link=http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Reviews/6243/curlys-pub]http://www.roadfood.com/R...eviews/6243/curlys-pub[/link]

The next morning, we were back at Lambeau Field to tour the Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame.  But before going in, I had my photo taken next to the Vince Lombardi statue,

located outside.  Even though I am not a Packer fan, you can't help but appreciate a team with so much history and this museum is so well done, we had no problem killing a few hours.  In the children's section, they had a place where you could try your own Lambeau leap (for those who don't know, when a Packer player scores a touchdown, it is a tradition for him to jump into the stands to celebrate with the crowd).  And, of course, I had to try it myself.

I wish the Steelers had a museum like this.
post edited by buffetbuster - 2010/06/25 14:41:38
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3173
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! 2010/06/25 15:51:59 (permalink)
I've been to Miesfeld's numerous times and while I realize that they make a smoked brat, I've never seen one offered at the stand. They allow many different charities the use of the stand for fundraising, one more reason Miesfeld's is my favorite in the state. I was somewhat shocked at your choice of a single which is usually ordered only by the very young or the very old but after reading your itinerary, you did the right thing. Too bad about the City Bakery strikeout but after stopping at ten am and finding the hard rolls sold out, I now pre-order. Fascinating trip report.
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! 2010/06/25 15:58:45 (permalink)
That is about the thickest beer cheese soup I've ever seen coming from a restaurant. I'm usually disappointed in restaurant beer cheese soups because I make my own at home thick with quality ingredients.
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
Re:On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! 2010/06/25 18:27:57 (permalink)
I'm a near-total brat newbie but I had no idea they were served in patty form or in a round sandwich type deal.  They look amazing.  So can you tell us more about the torte?  Is it light like Cool Whip or more substantial (like Karen asked) like cheesecake? 

Cute pics of the tour guide!
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1