New bbq to try in the KC area

Double Chili Cheeseburger
2010/06/25 12:50:14
Brobeck's BBQ has just been recommended to me by several people, all separately. That's a good indication to me that it's worth trying. They are located in the Kansas City suburb of Overland Park, KS. If any one here has eaten there, I'd like to hear what you think. I'm going to try to get there in the next several days. They advertise that no sauce comes on any item. They feel their meats are good on their own. They do have an assortment of sauces to choose from if you like. I'll post a report. It sounds very good.

http://www.brobecksbbq.com/
Rusty246
Re:New bbq to try in the KC area 2010/06/25 13:28:17

One thing that would attract me is that they serve SLICED meats.  I just don't care for pulled pork, and chopped , if in larger chunks is just okay.  That' s just me.     Being able to add your own sauce if desired is a huge bonus.                                                                                                                                                  
zataar
Re:New bbq to try in the KC area 2010/06/25 14:05:53
I should say, Brobeck's is new to me. I noticed on their website they have been there for over 2 years. Only recently have I heard of them, maybe because they are pretty far out it the suburbs. I think Brobeck's serves sliced meats.

There is another place that is about 25 miles from here I'd like to try, too. It's Wabash BBQ in Excelsior Springs, MO. I've heard very good things about that place. They are right off l-35, so that's a plus.
Beef&Fries
Hamburger
Re:New bbq to try in the KC area 2010/06/25 14:23:51
I've eaten at Brobeck's several times, it's 5 minutes from my house, formerly Stanley BBQ in southern Overland Park I believe.

Extensive menu and daily specials, they DO have pulled pork and burnt ends but also sliced pork & beef. Also a sauce bar with other KC BBQ sauces, though why anybody would want to use Gates sauce is beyond me. House red sauce has too much liquid smoke for my taste but they have a mustard sauce that is outstanding.

Anyway, BBQ is very good but uneven, I've had some real dry and flavorless sliced beef, but excellent burnt ends, wife always gets pulled pork and it's pretty good, sausage average, ribs were outstanding one time and average another time.

They pay attention to quality with excellent sides -beans, slaw, fries, rings, etc, even the pickles are outstanding, from a small vendor around KC. And service and people are outstanding.

An excellent addition to the KC BBQ scene, I hope they do well.

BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:New bbq to try in the KC area 2010/06/25 23:27:47
Add my vote for a trip to Brobeck's!  Excellent 'Que with very good sauces; the mustard sauce being the standout.  I'll usually swap a few bottles of Roadhouse with Doug Brobeck for an equal number of his mustard sauces-yeah, it's that good.

Just a historical note, Doug Brobeck was the founder and original owner of Stilwell Smokehouse down at 195th and Old Metcalfe in Stilwell, KS.  Doug sold the place to a couple of smart alecks who were going to do things "the right way".  Stilwell Smokehouse is, of course, now out of business due to a fire that conveniently happened just as business was starting to wane significantly.

Doug has brought his old magic with him to Brobeck's and seems to keep getting better with each visit.

For apps, be sure to try the cheesy corn nuggets, one of my faves.  Skip the ranch dressing and dip them in the mustard Barbecue Sauce.  Or just eat them plain; the ranch adds nothing to the experience.

Say hello for me if you go, and tell Doug we'll see him on our Christmas visit.

Buddy
zataar
Re:New bbq to try in the KC area 2010/06/26 13:59:42
Thanks, I hope to try Brobeck's sometime this coming week. Buddy, I  will certainly say hello to Doug on your behalf.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:New bbq to try in the KC area 2010/06/27 00:59:29
He'll be more familiar with "Roadhouse" than he will with "Buddy".  Mention the sauce and he'll know who you're talking about.

Buddy
Beef&Fries
Hamburger
Re:New bbq to try in the KC area 2010/06/28 11:14:54
ty for the correction Buddy, it was Stillwell Smokehouse, Stanley/Stillwell both out south and I blur them together often...

anyway, ate at Brobecks again over the weekend, excellent burnt ends and ribs and of course my wife had pulled pork again, she says the pulled pork is right up there with Oklahoma Joe's, and I picked up another bottle of mustard sauce, I love that stuff.

Homemade potato chips are also outstanding