Anthony Bourdain Eats Chicago

Porterhouse
2010/07/05 04:12:22
7/4/10 -Just watched Bourdain's show on Chicago. Not sure if it's been on before, first time i saw it. If/when it comes on again, worth the time watch it. Saw some places I've not seen mentioned on here. Bert's Place in Morton Grove for Deep Dish Pizza, Tom Tom Tamales, A place that makes a Mother-in-Law Sandwich---A hot dog & a tamale in 1 hot dog bun with condiments. He visited all types of places from low end to ultra upscale and everything in between. A very good show.,

In MHO The Travel Channel is kicking the Food Network's butt when it comes to more interesting shows. Like how many cake and cupcake shows can you watch? And the "Competition" Shows like Chopped ; boring!
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
Re:Anthony Bourdain Eats Chicago 2010/07/05 06:48:57
Here are a couple of threads on subjects that you mentioned.

Mother-in-Law Sandwich Thread: http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=405392&high

Burt's Place Thread: http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/Bad-experience-at-Burts-Place-m351751.aspx 

Buddyroadhouse works/worked at Burt's.
post edited by MiamiDon - 2010/07/05 07:07:07
kozel
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Anthony Bourdain Eats Chicago 2010/07/05 08:27:41
I was particularly interested in the "3 little piggy sandwich" at the Silver Palm.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:Anthony Bourdain Eats Chicago 2010/07/05 09:58:38
MiamiDon
Buddyroadhouse works/worked at Burt's.

Still do on Saturday nights-assuming I'm not out on the road spreading the gospel of Roadhouse Bar-B-Que Sauce.

That installment of No Reservations was shot in August of 2008, originally aired in February of 2009, and has been re-airing on a regular basis ever since.  Business has been insane ever since the first showing, with visitors coming in, literally, from around the world.  Our guest book has been filled several times over with some fascinating locations.

The most interesting and perhaps amusing entry I've seen was from a family living here in America.  The husband was a native born American who happened to be of Jewish descent.  His wife was native Japanese who had moved here to live in the States.  Their two daughters are being raised here in the Chicago area, attending a local, private Hebrew day school, and also spending their summers back in Japan with their mother's parents.  They signed our guest book in English, Hebrew, and Japanese!

One of Bourdain's other stops, Calumet Fisheries, recently won a James Beard Award for their smoked fish and other delicacies.  The Contingent made a stop there on one of our tours back in 2009.  Members are still talking about the smoked shrimp, smoked trout, and three different flavors of smoked salmon.  What a day!  We had traveled all over the city, sampling treats from places visited by Saveur Magazine in their all Chicago edition back in October, 2007.

Hot Doug's, Borinquen, and Ed's Potsickers started the journey.  By the time we got to Lem's Barbecue on the southside we were nearly stuffed.  In order to give ourselves a slight respite before resuming consumption, we ordered a sampling of Lem's 'Que to go and headed down to Calumet Fisheries.  Because Calumet has no indoor eating area, we set up card tables on the sidewalk, laid out our feast of Barbecue and smoked fish, and dug in right there on the 95th Street Bridge, offering samples to anyone who walked by.  By golly, we had more fun on that trip than I've had in a long time.

Buddy
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Anthony Bourdain Eats Chicago 2010/07/05 12:34:15
Great Report Buddy! What do you do at Bert's besides being the Official Sampler?
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:Anthony Bourdain Eats Chicago 2010/07/05 23:46:55
I run the floor; wait tables, take care of carry-out customers, answer the phones.  I also do a lot of kitchen prep work before we open the door to customers.  It's a very small shop, only 35 seats.  Prior to the explosion of exposure it was a two man store.  Burt made the pizzas in back, I took care of the customers in front.  Now, Burt's wife Sharon helps me out on Saturdays and handles it on her own the rest of the week (Wed., Thurs., Fri. Sun.).

Thanks to the limited size of the dining room and the even more limited size of the kitchen and sole pizza oven, walking in off the street hoping to get served is a near impossibility.  You need to call ahead with your full order, prearrange a time to dine, and show up on time, 'cause that pizza is gonna be on the table at the time we promise it, whether you're sitting there or not.  It sounds nuts, but it's the only way we can accommodate the incredible number of people who want to get in every night.

As for my status as a sampler, those days, I'm afraid, are forever gone.  We used to be able to sit down after the dinner rush, make a pizza and chill out for a while.  Now though, there is no more down time.  We're busy right from the moment we open the door at 4:30pm until 10pm, when we close.

Buddy
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
Re:Anthony Bourdain Eats Chicago 2010/07/06 12:14:24
Not to derail the Chicago talk, but a little Denver-based birdie told me that our own Biker Jim will be appearing on next week's edition of NO RESERVATIONS. 

Word is that he will be appearing in the "Heartland" episode that airs 10 pm ET. 
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Anthony Bourdain Eats Chicago 2010/07/11 10:10:46
Thanks Steve, I have been looking forward to the Midwest edition...now even more than before.
joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:Anthony Bourdain Eats Chicago 2010/07/11 19:05:14
Great show on Bert's!!

Amazing people and pizza.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Anthony Bourdain Eats Chicago 2010/07/15 21:49:35
The Travelin Man

Not to derail the Chicago talk, but a little Denver-based birdie told me that our own Biker Jim will be appearing on next week's edition of NO RESERVATIONS. 

Word is that he will be appearing in the "Heartland" episode that airs 10 pm ET. 

I just saw the rerun tonight.  I thought Bourdain's review and Biker Jim did a super job.  I only wish I could make a trip to Denver to sample his wonderful dogs.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN