Brat Challenge 2010

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Filet Mignon
Re:Brat Challenge 2010 2010/09/04 15:35:58
abe_froeman
ETA: Ok, I'm making chocolate-dipped candied bacon.  Something to nosh on in between rounds of brats!

There will be 500 people here, all hearty eaters.  And all the leftover chocolate bacon will be left with the hosts.

A closer guess is 3 dozen.

Jim

Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Brat Challenge 2010 2010/09/04 16:34:00
We are on I-90 just west of La Crosse and on our way. I can communicate while we drive with the iPad and Virgin Mobile broadband2go Mifi 2200. Slick sending this at 70 mph.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Brat Challenge 2010 2010/09/04 17:42:27
Davydd,

I'm hoping you're the passenger.

Jim
Gyp
Cheeseburger
Re:Brat Challenge 2010 2010/09/04 17:58:41
Picked up my brats today from Gundrum's Market in Slinger. Just need some beer and I'm good to go.
X1
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Brat Challenge 2010 2010/09/04 19:38:28
Went to Chicago today with Q and picked up some tasty goodies for tomorrow.

quijote
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Brat Challenge 2010 2010/09/04 20:51:04
I got some fun sausages (and other things) at Gene's Sausage Shop in Lincoln Square, so will be bringing those, but I'm still not sure what side dish to make. So, I'm off to Pick-n-Save and Sendik's for inspiration!
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Brat Challenge 2010 2010/09/04 21:05:01
Q - Just don't make Tabbouleh.  That's already covered.

A wise man once said, "When in doubt, bring something with a spout."

Stay thirsty, my friend.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Brat Challenge 2010 2010/09/04 21:06:59
HelloDriver

I'm in!  Waiting to hear back from my potential passenger...

Note to potential passenger, I'll be sampling my homemade country ham.
Gyp
Cheeseburger
Re:Brat Challenge 2010 2010/09/04 21:50:03
JRPfeff 

I threw the Google Maps link to your house up on Craigslist this time for the general public open invite. In the "free" section for maximum exposure.

JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Brat Challenge 2010 2010/09/04 21:58:03
Gyp

JRPfeff 

I threw the Google Maps link to your house up on Craigslist this time for the general public open invite. In the "free" section for maximum exposure.

Ummmmm.....
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Brat Challenge 2010 2010/09/04 21:58:09
JRPfeff

Davydd,

I'm hoping you're the passenger.

Jim

Not a problem. The dicey part of driving an RV motorhome is forgetting and getting up to go to the bathroom.
quijote
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Brat Challenge 2010 2010/09/04 23:22:20
JRPfeff

Stay thirsty, my friend.

Bring something with sprouts? I can do that: My famous bean sprout, brussels sprout, and smoked trout frittata!

Well, okay, I'm actually bringing some fresh-made green salsa and store-bought tortilla chips.  And a couple of things with spouts! 
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Brat Challenge 2010 2010/09/05 00:35:12
quijote

JRPfeff

Stay thirsty, my friend.

Bring something with sprouts? I can do that: My famous bean sprout, brussels sprout, and smoked trout frittata!

Well, okay, I'm actually bringing some fresh-made green salsa and store-bought tortilla chips.  And a couple of things with spouts! 

Not sprouts----SPOUTS! As in Beer Tap SPOUTS!
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:Brat Challenge 2010 2010/09/05 02:05:44
Unless I hear that we've already got enough, I'm bringing buns.  All those brats and only a couple of mentions of buns.

Also, I'll probably stop at the local eastern European grocer and pick up some kielbasa or some such encased meat delight.  Is Bobby Nelson's still open in Kenosha, or has the highway construction shut them down?  I might stop there to see what the locals have to offer.

Pickles?  Do we like pickles?  I guess I could bring some Barbecue Sauce too...
What about beer?  Soft drinks?  Gimme a clue people 'cause I have no idea what to bring.  I'm beat from work, so I'm not making anything.  Whatever we bring will be store bought, so what do we need?

Buddy
post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2010/09/05 03:00:00
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Brat Challenge 2010 2010/09/05 02:25:00
OMG.  I just had some candied bacon, fresh out of the oven.  I don't think I've ever said this before, but it would be a mistake to put chocolate on it.  It's too good to risk putting it on.

Hopefully it makes it through the night travels well and tastes as good tomorrow as it does right now.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
Re:Brat Challenge 2010 2010/09/05 07:55:13
PICKLES???
As in Kosher half sours?
Mmmmm
I think CSD mentioned  he also was bringing buns (unless he changed his mind) and I'm bringing 2 dozen Scordato rolls.
X1
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Brat Challenge 2010 2010/09/05 08:02:04
I'm bringing a variety of encased meats, an assortment of beer, some root beer and sarsaparilla, and a surprise or two.

chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
Re:Brat Challenge 2010 2010/09/05 09:34:34
MilwFoodlovers

PICKLES???
As in Kosher half sours?
Mmmmm
I think CSD mentioned  he also was bringing buns (unless he changed his mind) and I'm bringing 2 dozen Scordato rolls.

The following is on my dance card:
16 brat buns, beer brats, cheddar brats, Romanian Kosher Polish, Romanian Kosher hot dogs, a great brown Dusseldorf mustard, and a special dish from Nina.

CSD
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
Re:Brat Challenge 2010 2010/09/05 09:36:30
X1

I'm bringing a variety of encased meats, an assortment of beer, some root beer and sarsaparilla, and a surprise or two.

And I have something for you. Bring a small cooler.

CSD
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Brat Challenge 2010 2010/09/05 09:38:13
I finally figured out that Bobbi & I really don't have to cook anything (except for desserts).  We could just sit back and enjoy everything our guests are bringing.  Possibly the easiest party ever.
X1
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Brat Challenge 2010 2010/09/05 10:19:53
This is absolutely true. 
Well...you gotta be The Grill Guy, too.

abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Brat Challenge 2010 2010/09/05 10:34:18
CSD, did you go to the Romanian Kosher place?  Maybe I don't need to go then? 
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Brat Challenge 2010 2010/09/05 10:38:23
JRPfeff

I finally figured out that Bobbi & I really don't have to cook anything (except for desserts).  We could just sit back and enjoy everything our guests are bringing.  Possibly the easiest party ever.

Pie Diva told me to STFU and get my lazy @$% to work.
post edited by JRPfeff - 2010/09/05 10:51:40
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
Re:Brat Challenge 2010 2010/09/05 11:21:36
JRPfeff

JRPfeff

Pie Diva told me to STFU and get my lazy @$% to work.

Green chile cheese bratwurst? " />
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Brat Challenge 2010 2010/09/05 11:26:39
MFL - You'll have to bring the chiles.  My daughter consumed the ones I roasted.

jrp
quijote
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Brat Challenge 2010 2010/09/05 12:07:27
Pickles of all kinds are a good thing, especially when lots of garlic and/or hot pepper is involved.

Candied bacon sounds delightful. BTW, the September issue of Bon Appetit has a very tempting recipe for Bacon and Cashew Caramel Corn!

Look forward to seeing you all this pm.
X1
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Brat Challenge 2010 2010/09/05 12:39:27
Aside from regular brats from Outpost, I picked up a couple Jalapeno Cheddar brats. I can only hope their as good as Vienna's Jalapeno Cheddar dogs. 
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Brat Challenge 2010 2010/09/05 12:46:00
Just passed the Wisconsin Dells. We are on our way.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:Brat Challenge 2010 2010/09/05 12:48:45
So, based on the posts above and some simple math, MFL is bringing two dozen buns, CSD is bringing 16 buns, equals 40 buns total.  JRP is expecting approximately three dozen guests multiplied by at least two brats per person means we're short by about 32 buns.

My path is clear.

Also, I'll look into those pickles.

Buddy
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Brat Challenge 2010 2010/09/05 12:50:25
12 buns and brats coming from us.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Brat Challenge 2010 2010/09/05 13:17:22
Davydd - I'll try to keep the driveway open for your motorhome.

Jim
ChuckL50
Hamburger
Re:Brat Challenge 2010 2010/09/05 13:25:52
I have half a doz pretzel brat rolls along with Rupena's Hungarians and a package of smoked Kobasica from Lucky's. And some stuff with spouts. In single serving size.
See y'all soon!
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Brat Challenge 2010 2010/09/05 13:35:45
JRPfeff

Davydd - I'll try to keep the driveway open for your motorhome.

Jim

Thanks! We appreciate that. We just passed mile marker 250 so that puts us about 60 miles away.
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
Re:Brat Challenge 2010 2010/09/05 13:48:48
abe_froeman

CSD, did you go to the Romanian Kosher place?  Maybe I don't need to go then? 

I bought a pound of each at Sunset Foods in Highland Park. During the last two days, we ate 3 Polish and 1 dog, so the current count is 4 dogs and 3 Polish that will arrive this afternoon.

CSD
X1
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Brat Challenge 2010 2010/09/05 21:16:46
Had a great time, as usual. Thanks to Jim and Bobbie.
Great seeing everyone.

HelloDriver
Junior Burger
Re:Brat Challenge 2010 2010/09/05 22:31:36
Thanks again to Jim and Bobbie for a great time!  Thanks also for the great friends and excellent food!
stricken_detective
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Brat Challenge 2010 2010/09/05 23:38:27
What a great day! Loved getting to see everyone & meeting Davydd & Mrs Davydd. I won't need to eat until lunch tomorrow. :)

Bobbi, post pictures if you make that bratatta for breakfast!!!

BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:Brat Challenge 2010 2010/09/06 01:31:34
It was a wide, wide world of brats today!  Started off with Minnesota brats made with pork and wild rice.  A little softer texture than the usual Wisconsin brat, but excellent flavor.  Next up was one of the Kielbasa Grilowa I picked up at the eastern European market near my home.  Excellent snap, intense flavor, and judging by others reaction, I'd say, a popular choice.

After that it was all a blur.  I know I had a chicken brat stuffed with a very creamy mozzerella and one of the Hungarian brats CSD picked up.  There were chunks of so many other varieties here and there and not a weak link in the bunch, but more specific than that I cannot get.

Desserts from the Pie Diva were extraordinary, as usual.  I was honored that she made a special dessert bar for me based on a Bananas Foster recipe.  The bar was quite good in and of itself, but, as I told her, if you're going to call something "Bananas Foster" it should have a more distinct banana flavor.  The pastry base was good, the caramel filling was good.  But the banana flavor needed to have a little more oomph.  It should be noted that Pie Diva is not a fan of the banana herself, so she actually thought there was more than enough, and maybe too much banana flavor in there.  It was a noble effort, and I was moved that she cared enough to even try creating this dessert for me.  Like I said, as a dessert bar, it was excellent, but for my money, if it's supposed to taste like a banana, by golly go nuts with the nanners!  Still, thank you so much for thinking of me sweet Pie Diva.

Other desserts were over the top great!  Pie Diva's famous and (literally) award winning chocolate chip bacon baklava was as good as it ever was.  The lime (not lemon) bars were tangy sweet refreshing; especially welcome after all those brats.  The real surprise of the afternoon was a sweet tomato tart.  A thin, delicate pastry shell on the bottom covered with a layer of sliced Campari tomatoes, and then a sweet glaze that hardened into a candy-like shell.  Lovely tomato flavor in a light dessert.

After that it was time to focus on socializing.  The weather was beautiful in the early part of the day and broke out with minor showers in the early evening.  Fortunately JRPfeff has a large portable tent canopy that was brought into position so everyone could move their chairs underneath and carry on the conversation.  Most of The Contingent was in attendance.  Those who were not with us were missed.  We hope all will be able to join us for the next outing which I will start a separate thread for shortly.

Just a heads up-we're planning a Sunday afternoon at Burt's where I will be your waiter!   Dates and details coming up...

Buddy
post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2010/09/06 01:33:57
quijote
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Brat Challenge 2010 2010/09/06 07:11:39

An excellent afternoon spent with great people. I'm not quite sure what brats I had, but they were tasty (one was nice and spicy), and went well with the Scordato rolls. Lots of tasty sides were in attendance, including lemony tabbouleh, Bobbi's German Tater Salad, candied bacon (!), and lots of other good stuff. Excellent desserts, as usual, with the Ancho Chile Pecan Pie and Avocado Bars as a couple of the standouts.

It's always a pleasure seeing you all, and many thanks to the hosts Jim and Bobbi!
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Brat Challenge 2010 2010/09/06 09:36:10
Thanks to everyone for coming.  I enjoyed handing off the grilling duties to my guests and enjoying the party. I never even cooked the brats that I purchased for the day.  We were happy to welcome a few new faces, but were disappointed that a couple founding fathers of the Contingent were absent.

After the brief early evening shower ended, things kept going until almost 10:00.  At the start of the day I would never have guessed that Buddy_Roadhouse would be passed out in my front yard or the Davydd's would end up sleeping in my driveway. " /> No adult beverages were involved with either incident.  Yes, I am serious.  
post edited by JRPfeff - 2010/09/06 09:42:54
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Brat Challenge 2010 2010/09/06 10:16:56
Jim and Bobbie,

Thanks for the great party and especially those desserts. And thanks for the use of your driveway overnight. It sure beat staying in a Walmart parking lot.

We are on the road now driving straight north on US 41 in heavy rain.
irisarbor
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Brat Challenge 2010 2010/09/06 11:21:06
Sounds like you all had a great time!
I can't wait for some pix...
Sorry we missed it-
it was our Anniversary and the Mr. wanted to do something a little more traditional-
A fabulous dinner a deux at Prairie Gras Cafe fit the billl most perfectly.
We'll catch up with you all at the next shindig.

chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
Re:Brat Challenge 2010 2010/09/06 11:42:35
Thanks to Jim & Bobbie for hosting this yearly event. It was great meeting new members and reconnecting with regulars. The food and deserts were great. My dog Sam had a great time and wants to thank all those who fed and gave him attention. 

Mark, Nina, & Sam
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Brat Challenge 2010 2010/09/06 13:13:17
Thanks for hosting another great Brat Day, Jim & Bobbie.  I'll be around to collect my dad off your lawn later today.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
Re:Brat Challenge 2010 2010/09/06 14:06:51
I swore I posted a thank you earlier this morning but I sure don't see one now.
If they ever hand out awards for "Host Of The Year", Jim, you and Bobbie are a lock.
I don't do "bests" but maybe, just maybe those uncooked brats of yours would have been my favorite so I still have something to look forward to.
Wisconsin's loss would be New Mexico's gain.
¡Muchas Gracias!

ScreamingChicken
Filet Mignon
Re:Brat Challenge 2010 2010/09/06 19:42:15
HelloDriver

Thanks again to Jim and Bobbie for a great time!  Thanks also for the great friends and excellent food!

And major thanks to you for making the bug spray run!  For those of you who weren't there, a few billion uninvited mosquitoes crashed the party and they were hungry.  HD was the second car to arrive and before the other guests started arriving he drove to a nearby store and picked up 2 cans of 40% DEET insect repellent, which was a lifesaver to skeeter bait like me.

CSD, I don't know if anybody actually fed Sam as much as he just helped himself to whatever caught his fancy.  Ask ChuckL50 about that.

Buddy summed up the menu perfectly; all I can add is that I hope everyone had a chance to sample JRPfeff's home-cured country ham.

Speaking of the JRPfeffs, kudos to them for once again hosting an event.  If you do decide to move to the Southwest please make sure the sale contract for the house includes a rider that gives us access on Memorial and Labor Day weekends.

Brad
post edited by Brad_Olson - 2010/09/07 08:27:17
ScreamingChicken
Filet Mignon
Re:Brat Challenge 2010 2010/09/07 09:21:29
There was just a little bit of food there...

The Berkshire country ham.

ChuckL50 took his turn at the grill.  On the sheet are some peppers that JRP made as appetizers, the small plate holds some poblano peppers stuffed with cream cheese and pulled pork, and an assortment of sausages rests on the cutting board.

Plenty of plates were filled, emptied, and filled again.

But the best part wasn't the food, it was the people.

HelloDriver, Davydd, and ChuckL50.

Anyone who says that the more mature segment of society isn't techno-savvy has obviously never met Davydd.

Quijote chats with the Braumeisters.

Buddy brought a few bottles of sauce, of course.

If a story's being told there's a good chance CSD's involved, and having a large dog apparently guarantees a captive audience (Gyp, Mr. Maki, abe_froeman, Buddy Roadhouse, Davydd, and Nancy (Mrs. Davydd)).

ChuckL50, Braumeister, Anita (Mrs. Braumeister), Buddy, MilwFoodLovers, and Gyp with Neighbor Pete and Nancy in the background.

Brad
post edited by Brad_Olson - 2010/09/08 08:45:16
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:Brat Challenge 2010 2010/09/07 13:32:26
Nancy in that last photo is actually Davydd's wife.  Also, I'm pretty sure "Pete" is Paul and his wife is Claire, not pictured.

Buddy
stricken_detective
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Brat Challenge 2010 2010/09/07 19:58:49
BuddyRoadhouse

Nancy in that last photo is actually Davydd's wife.  Also, I'm pretty sure "Pete" is Paul and his wife is Claire, not pictured.

Buddy

I can't see the pics, but I think you just married someone to the wrong spouse. lol
Gyp
Cheeseburger
Re:Brat Challenge 2010 2010/09/07 22:03:52
Had a great time as usual. Thanks to the hosts and everyone else. Looking forward to the next Contingent get together.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Brat Challenge 2010 2010/09/11 18:39:59
My family found some favorites in the leftover brats.  We are looking for help in identifying them.

One was a checken sausage with white cheese in it.

The other was the darkest of the cooked brats.

Any clues?
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Flagged as Spam (1)
Re:Brat Challenge 2010 2010/09/11 19:35:10
You Wisconsin people are luckeier than Hell that Buddy didn't make it to the Columbus area. If he had all your local brats would have gone down in flames to the competition from Carle's Bratwurst from the Bratwust Capital of the World, Bucyrus, Ohio.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
Re:Brat Challenge 2010 2010/09/11 20:48:46
Michael, I agree we were lucky.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Brat Challenge 2010 2010/09/12 11:07:41
And another thing ...
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Flagged as Spam (1)
Re:Brat Challenge 2010 2010/09/12 11:08:47
And to the idiot who flagged my post ---
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:Brat Challenge 2010 2010/09/12 13:39:08
Not sure who flagged that post, could be one of my friends, so I'll refrain from going with the "idiot" label, but it really was unnecessary.

Buddy
Greymo
Filet Mignon
Re:Brat Challenge 2010 2010/09/12 15:36:48
I am wondering how that ever got through as SPAM.  In my opinion,  this was abused  as it was not  foul  language or personal attack  or off topic  so it is unclear to me  what the  poster was objecting to.
quijote
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Brat Challenge 2010 2010/09/12 15:45:28
Maybe the person meant that the Bucyrus bratwursts are Spam? 
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Brat Challenge 2010 2010/09/12 16:52:59
As much as I love Spam -- and Treet -- I wish those brats from Bucyrus were like Spam. For one thing, they'd be a lot less expensive.
quijote
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Brat Challenge 2010 2010/09/12 17:18:23
Uh-oh, This could be the beginning of another food trend:

Treetwurst!

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4