Mason Dixon Trip

DirtDude
  • Total Posts : 161
  • Reward points : 0
Mason Dixon Trip - Sat, 07/24/10 11:12 AM
I had to take a short trip to Maryland a few weeks back and made a few roadfood stops. This trip was family related, so I didn't have to eat by myself like when I am out doing research. Traveling up I-95 last summer made me want to avoid D.C., where they seem to have perpetual construction south of 495, so I got off north of Richmond. But 301 is a great route through Virginia and I used the opportunity to hit the southern tip of the Maryland's Western Shore.

One of the official roadfood stops there is Bear Creek BBQ in Callaway, MD.

I went in to get the pulled pork sandwich like everyone recommeneded, but I saw the ribs cooking and couldn't resist them. Unfortunatley I found them kind of tough and chewy, although I liked the sauce. They didn't give you very big portions of sides, which I guess is better than a heaping pileful. I never can resist eating more than I need to, so they did me a favor.

DirtDude
Re:Mason Dixon Trip - Sat, 07/24/10 11:19 AM

Someone back home was talking about a new restaurant called Dark Horse Saloon in Bel Air, MD which had some burger surrounded by two grilled cheeses. Although the reviews online said the food looked a lot better than it tasted, I couldn't resit a grilled cheese bun. I forgot to take a picture of the restaurant, but here is the burger. Two big patties with bacon and grilled cheese, plus some sweet potato fries. I think they called this thing the Duke, after John Wayne.

This thing put my stomach into a coma with all the grease, butter, and cheese. And the burger has no flavor. Still glad I ate a something wrapped in grilled cheeses though.
<message edited by DirtDude on Sun, 07/25/10 8:27 AM>

DirtDude
Re:Mason Dixon Trip - Sat, 07/24/10 11:26 AM

Then I went with my sister up into Quarryville, PA to get some farm equipment. We stopped in a pizza/sub shop she always likes to go to up there, right after she got hit on by an Amishman in the supply store.

Last time I was up we had subs, which were great, considering I don't find them too much in my part of SC. We got the pizza this time and I always love pizza. I had three slices although I probably only needed one.  Sausage and peperoni, no veggies this time, but hey, I was on vacation. Its always great to get back north where you can get a greasy slice that you can fold up in your hand. I know there are good places down south, just haven't found them yet.

DirtDude
Re:Mason Dixon Trip - Sat, 07/24/10 11:33 AM
We took a trip one night over to North East, MD to get some steamed crabs at Woody's. Its always great to hit Maryland in the summer to pick apart some crabs. I had never been to Woody's, and I thought the restaurant was really good. They have more dishes than just crabs, and several good appetizers. The restaurant was well lit and on main street, so overall I really enjoyed the experience. Being on the water would be the only thing to improve it.

You can't really go wrong with oysters as an appetizer, but you do look kind of silly slurping them down.

Below are rock fish bites, not really a great photo, but I wanted to slip them in. The dipping sauce tasted like jerk chicken, I really didn't think it matched the bites very well. But its a good idea for a Chesapeake appetizer anyway.

Voila, lez crabz. I didn't use the butter and the rock salt seasoning didn't stick to your fingers like old bay does. But still, they were awesome. I don't care how much work it is, I have always enjoyed crabs. Its a social thing, like drinking beer with friends.

DirtDude
Re:Mason Dixon Trip - Sat, 07/24/10 11:39 AM
Heres a little place just north of the Mason Dixon in Delta, PA. Its called the Delta Family Restaurant. Nothing fancy, just good roadfood type cooking. Only people that peruse this website can probably really enjoy a diner like this. Some of my friends think I don't eat very well.

And below would be where their opinions come from. You know it seems like people either love or hate gravy. ITS TASTES SO GOOD HOW CAN YOU DISLIKE IT!?!? Anyway, here is some chip beef gravy on toast, hash browns, and a side of scrapple. Why does everyone down south eat every part of the pig possible, and think I am crazy for eating scrapple? Man this was gud eatin!

kland01s
  • Total Posts : 2835
Re:Mason Dixon Trip - Sat, 07/24/10 11:45 AM
Nice photos and report! The crabs look great! Are there more than 2 there?

DirtDude
Re:Mason Dixon Trip - Sat, 07/24/10 11:46 AM
We went back up to Quarryville, PA another evening with my grandmother. They just helped her pick out a wheel chair van, so we can get her to places she hasn't been in years. Apparently everyone talks about C.R. Lapps in the area, at least my brother was complaining that they do. It was one of those nice family places I remember hitting as a kid in PA, good soild country food. Honestly I enjoyed the expierience more than the food.

I had to try something I hadn't eaten in a while, so I did roast beef with gravy. I really don't like brown gravy on mashed potoatoes though, so I stole some of my sisters yellow gravy when she wasn't looking. The roast beef was also overtop of stuffing, which was a little too moist for me. I like it kind of crispy on the edges. There was also a little bowl of baked corn, which was good.

wookman8
  • Total Posts : 66
Re:Mason Dixon Trip - Sat, 07/24/10 11:49 AM
It looks like you had a great time DirtDude ... thanks for the narrative and photos. I just may have to try my hand at making a Duke .

DirtDude
Re:Mason Dixon Trip - Sat, 07/24/10 11:51 AM
And finally we stopped at Maplehofe that night, a place we called Maple Hope as kids. Someone from Quarryville set me straight a few years ago. Coming up into Amish country for ice cream on a summer evening was pretty exciting for a 7 year old. Collecting Garbage Pail Kids cards was another good reason to make this trip.

Good old butter brickle in waffle cone. Hadn't had this flavor in about 10 years, I think I always got this one back then. But my sister always got mint chocolate chip, so I thought she had no taste in ice cream. Seriously, who thought that one up?

And I'm done.

DirtDude
Re:Mason Dixon Trip - Sat, 07/24/10 11:54 AM
kland01s

Nice photos and report! The crabs look great! Are there more than 2 there?

Yeah, I think we started off with 1 dozen, then ordered a few more. They were really good.

cementhead
  • Total Posts : 120
Re:Mason Dixon Trip - Sat, 07/24/10 12:35 PM
My kids sports take us to Solanco HS just south of Quarryville several times a year and we always stop at Maplehofe. I'm not sure if they make their own ice cream, but we like it.

Ahi Mpls.
  • Total Posts : 922
Re:Mason Dixon Trip - Sat, 07/24/10 6:56 PM
   Crabs, S.O.S., and Roast Beast!    Thank you DirtDude, Thank you.  
          (Didn't use the BUTTER?! Are you Krazy? )

Nancypalooza
  • Total Posts : 3778
Re:Mason Dixon Trip - Sat, 07/24/10 7:43 PM
You know what, one of these days I'ma gonna have to try some scrapple.  The looks of it are starting to grow on me.  :)

So, I can't figure this out.  It's really either a terrific compliment to get hit on by an Amish dude, or it's a suggestion that you are appropriately unornamented?  How did that sit with your sister anyway?

Great report and pictures!   Thanks for taking us along, DirtDude!

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17853
Re:Mason Dixon Trip - Sat, 07/24/10 7:59 PM
What a terrific report. Thank you.

Ralph Melton
  • Total Posts : 788
Re:Mason Dixon Trip - Sat, 07/24/10 11:07 PM
Nice report and pictures!

DirtDude
Re:Mason Dixon Trip - Sun, 07/25/10 8:37 AM
wookman8- let me know about your attempt at the Duke, the Dark Horse Saloon really did make me nauseous. I think one burger patty would have been enough, and they tasted like watery beef.

Nancypalooza- The scrapple in that photo actually wasn't that great, I just get it up there because I can. Most people in my family won't eat it, but my dad loved it. Neeses down here actually is the best I have had. Cut 1/3 inch thick, fried crisp on the outside, soft on the inside, then placed between buttered toast is my favorite way to eat it. Dad used to bake it in the oven to get that same crisp outside. If the company doesn't use good spices and herbs though, its really bland.

As for the Amish dude, well his mind was parked about where a 14 year olds would be. I think she found it pretty funny to hear anything like that from him.
<message edited by DirtDude on Sun, 07/25/10 8:42 AM>

badbyron722
  • Total Posts : 307
Re:Mason Dixon Trip - Sun, 07/25/10 10:19 AM
Good report & photos.

BelleReve
  • Total Posts : 1138
Re:Mason Dixon Trip - Sun, 07/25/10 10:53 AM
Great report and pictures, DirtDude.  I especially like those crabs which seem to be a generous portion, at least half a dozen?  What I wouldn't do to have been there with a cold beer, and some saltines to top on some of the lump, backfin crabmeat.  Does it get any better? 

Scorereader
  • Total Posts : 5546
Re:Mason Dixon Trip - Mon, 07/26/10 10:16 AM
well done DirtDude! Thanks for the interesting nuggets of info and pics. I loved your statement, " I don't care how much work it is, I have always enjoyed crabs." Indeed, it takes some perserverance, but is tasty and good fun!

Ivyhouse
  • Total Posts : 329
Re:Mason Dixon Trip - Mon, 07/26/10 10:36 AM
DirtDude,

Woody's looks great -- those oysters -- YUM!

Ivyhouse

TnTinCT
  • Total Posts : 443
Re:Mason Dixon Trip - Mon, 07/26/10 10:47 AM
Excellent pics - really loved the pic of the nice cheesy pie!!

Art Deco
  • Total Posts : 890
Re:Mason Dixon Trip - Sun, 08/8/10 10:10 PM
DirtDude

Why does everyone down south eat every part of the pig possible, and think I am crazy for eating scrapple?

Nothing wrong with scrapple IMO, DirtDude.  Makes a great breakfast sandwich!! 

atankersdad
  • Total Posts : 2
Re:Mason Dixon Trip - Sun, 09/5/10 8:52 PM
My wife and I ate at Bear Creek today and it was horrible. Ribs were tough and tasteless, brisket did not have a smoke ring and was greasy, tough and oven cooked. Pulled pork was only fair. Collards was right out of a can. We spent $35.00 (we each got a 3 meat combo) and i would not eat there ever again. The only thing they had that was good was the sweet potatoe fries...

brookquarry
  • Total Posts : 277
Re:Mason Dixon Trip - Mon, 09/6/10 7:53 AM
I grew up in Quarryville, and we still return there about a half dozen times a year to visit my parents.
Sam's is good pizza for South Central Pa . Now that I'm in the Lehigh Valley there are about half a dozen places I think are better.
Your evaluation of CR Lapps is accurate -the food is nothing special  (although the chicken corn soup is good). The best place in town to eat is the Quarryville Family restaurant, a solid greek owned establishment serving diner type food with some Pa dutch additions.
Maplehofe is a treasure. The Ice cream is not homemade . They served Richmans (out of Elmer NJ) until about a year ago but have now switched to Leibys, made in Tamaqua- a very good ice cream.
Be sure to rtry thier baked goods. The shoo fly pies are especially good. Also a large selection of bulk food and local potato chips .
Of course their dairy products are excellant.

DirtDude
Re:Mason Dixon Trip - Wed, 09/8/10 12:23 AM
brookquarry

I grew up in Quarryville, and we still return there about a half dozen times a year to visit my parents.
The best place in town to eat is the Quarryville Family restaurant, a solid greek owned establishment serving diner type food with some Pa dutch additions. .

My sister was telling me she loved that restaurant as well, but I haven't got to hit it yet. I will make her take me next time I'm up, thanks!

leethebard
  • Total Posts : 6086
Re:Mason Dixon Trip - Wed, 09/8/10 5:11 AM
Really enjoyed your report...thanks for the great pictures too!