of closing. Read more at...

...and with a longer story promised in tomorrow's edition
of the Richmond Times-Dispatch.

post edited by i95 - 2010/06/10 16:29:33
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:BUZ & NED'S BBQ in RICHMOND, VA 2010/06/10 16:29:39
i95-
Thanks for the story.  I've been to The Smokey Pig three times and on the last visit, the food was absolutely awful.  So, this isn't coming as a big surprise.  A real shame, since on the first visit, the food was superb.
Littleman
Double Cheeseburger
What About Lexington, VA and N on 81..................... 2010/06/10 17:32:16
Any BBQ around Lexington, Staunton, Harrisonburg and Front Royal.  Thanks.
i95
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:What About Lexington, VA and N on 81..................... 2010/06/11 07:37:44
buffetbuster

I've been to The Smokey Pig three times and on the last visit, the food was absolutely awful.  So, this isn't coming as a big surprise.  A real shame, since on the first visit, the food was superb.

Agreed. Lately and in ordering their barbeque sandwiches, they seem to be subscribing to a two gristle minimum. 

Littleman

Any BBQ around Lexington, Staunton, Harrisonburg and Front Royal.  Thanks.

Not sure about those locales specifically but if you're reaching any of those Virginia points from the south and while traveling on I-81, this place...

...I believe has been touted on this site a number of times and is right off of the Interstate.
i95
Re:BUZ & NED'S BBQ in RICHMOND, VA 2010/06/11 22:06:37
i95
...and with a longer story promised in tomorrow's edition of the Richmond Times-Dispatch.

Here is said promised article and with notice that the Ashland,
Virginia place is set to close this summer minus a buyer:

post edited by i95 - 2010/06/11 22:07:55
ayersian
Double Cheeseburger
Re:What About Lexington, VA and N on 81..................... 2010/06/11 23:48:42
i95
Not sure about those locales specifically but if you're reaching any of those Virginia points from the south and while traveling on I-81, this place...

...I believe has been touted on this site a number of times and is right off of the Interstate.

You are correct, i95, I love this place!  It's easy-on/easy-off of I-81 and is more upscale of a BBQ place (no paper plates and styrofoam cups) -- more of a restaurant proper than a shack.  And more expensive, though don't let that deter from the taste.  Perfect when you've had enough of Mrs. Rowe's and the few RF burger joints on that lonely stretch of interstate!    Chris

P.S.  Is there any worthwhile RF in Roanoke, by chance?  The Roanoke Wiener Stand downtown is not as good as it used to be...

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:What About Lexington, VA and N on 81..................... 2010/06/12 06:06:13
ayersian-
Have you ever been to Texas Tavern in downtown Roanoke?  It has fantastic Roadfood atmosphere and I really liked the hot dogs.  Unfortunately, on my one visit, I failed to eat what they are best known for, the Cheesy Western hamburger.

http://www.texastavern-inc.com/
Howard Baratz
Cheeseburger
Re:What About Lexington, VA and N on 81..................... 2010/06/12 11:27:53
My go-to place when passing through Roanoke is the New Yorker Deli. While their Corned Beef and Pastrami are good (certainly not great applying my tough ex-New York resident standards) their RARE Roast Beef is spectacular. Served in large portions in a sandwich or sub, if you like your Roast Beef rare this is the place for you. Sided with good sour pickles and cole slaw this makes for a wonderful eat in/take out meal.
QFan
Double Cheeseburger
Re:What About Lexington, VA and N on 81..................... 2010/06/12 12:18:14
To get back to the original subject of the Buzz & Ned's thread, QFan & the Mrs are headed up I-95 to DC next wk. Is Buzz & Ned's still as good (raves in the earlier posts) as ever? 
Please let me know as we can't wait to try it!!! 
QFAn
Bonita Springs, FL

wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:What About Lexington, VA and N on 81..................... 2010/06/12 13:32:42
QFan

To get back to the original subject of the Buzz & Ned's thread, QFan & the Mrs are headed up I-95 to DC next wk. Is Buzz & Ned's still as good (raves in the earlier posts) as ever? 
Please let me know as we can't wait to try it!!! 
QFAn
Bonita Springs, FL

Buffetbuster and I went there last month with Williamsburger.
See trip report for details
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/Double-Damage-in-the-Old-Dominion-m586557.aspx
 I believe we all found the Q to be mediocre, although I may have actually enjoyed it more than they did since I thought the ribs were actually somewhat decent but I've certainly had better. I thought the cinammon rum apples and sweet potato fries were very good. If you do make stop in Richmond I totally recommend Mama Mary's Sugar and Spice for good soul food. (again see trip report for details)
applesd
Junior Burger
Re:What About Lexington, VA and N on 81..................... 2011/04/05 10:43:57
Buzz & Neds has the best BBQ ribs I've ever had anywhere in the country! I've also tried their different BBQ sandwiches & those are good, but nowhere as good as the ribs (either style).

They're getting ready to open a second location in the West End of Richmond, which will be a lot closer to where I live. I can't wait until they open it.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:What About Lexington, VA and N on 81..................... 2011/04/05 10:52:58
applesd

Buzz & Neds has the best BBQ ribs I've ever had anywhere in the country!

I wish I could share your enthusiasm, unfortunately I had a different experience than you.
Williamsburger
Cheeseburger
Re:What About Lexington, VA and N on 81..................... 2011/06/17 10:23:18
It's been a coon's age since I post here.
Speaking of ribs - I haven't been back to Buz & Ned's since my visit with WJ & BB (mostly timing more than anything else) - but I recently visited one of the rivals - Extra Billy's (http://www.extrabillys.com/). My DH and I had beef ribs, which I'd never had. They aren't popular here in pig country, but apparently the owner went to TX to learn to cook beef - ribs and brisket here are excellent! Four HUGE ribs came out to the ohhs and ahhs of us and our friends. Also remarks of "looks like something out of the Flintsones!" I'm sure they here that alot. Dark and slightly sweet, smoked and grilled until tender, but not falling off the bone. Very messy - at least for me. Definately not a "first date" meal. But Terry and I have been together for 24 yrs, so....

Going down on my top ten list.
Cathy

ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:What About Lexington, VA and N on 81..................... 2011/06/17 12:55:42
Sounds excellent! We just dont have any good ribs, besides in the inner city, here in the Milwaukee area.
i95
Re:What About Lexington, VA and N on 81..................... 2011/06/17 14:34:27
Williamsburger

...Extra Billy's (http://www.extrabillys.com/)...

The source of my favorite barbecue sauce!  
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:What About Lexington, VA and N on 81..................... 2011/06/17 19:21:49
1-95 -  thanks to your hints I finally figured out where "Sin City" is.  

In fact I can even tell you something you may not know:  there was another entrance to "Sin City" hidden behind a rack in Arthur Godfrey's wine cellar.  However, Prince Talal closed it when he did the remodel in order to accomodate his harem.

Have you ever tried Willard's over in Chantilly?  www.dcbbq.com It's the best 'cue I ever had in VA.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial