Tomato and Lettuce made with Our Garden Tomatoes

Sirloin
2010/08/04 14:06:41
Just had my favorite summer sandwich..a simple tomato and lettuce on toast, with mayo and a little sea salt and fresh ground pepper...Tomatoes are getting nice and ripe and a sandwich made with a great Jersey tomato is a short season treat. For a change, tomorrow I'll add some Bacon and make it a BLT...Any one enjoying this treat? How are your tomatoes this season??
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Tomato and Lettuce made with Our Garden Tomatoes 2010/08/04 15:10:17
leethebard

Just had my favorite summer sandwich..a simple tomato and lettuce on toast, with mayo and a little sea salt and fresh ground pepper...Tomatoes are getting nice and ripe and a sandwich made with a great Jersey tomato is a short season treat. For a change, tomorrow I'll add some Bacon and make it a BLT...Any one enjoying this treat? How are your tomatoes this season??

Funny you should mention! I'm sitting here eating a Lettuce, Tomato & Sliced Hard Boiled Egg on Toasted Whole Wheat Sandwich as we speak! The beefsteak tomatoes are from a farmers market--Next best thing to home grown. Life is good!
MellowRoast
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Tomato and Lettuce made with Our Garden Tomatoes 2010/08/04 16:14:50
Love it, only I rarely toast the bread.  Had two last night.  And you're not just whistlin' Dixie on the sea salt. 
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
Re:Tomato and Lettuce made with Our Garden Tomatoes 2010/08/04 16:20:19
What's the name of your restaurant?
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Tomato and Lettuce made with Our Garden Tomatoes 2010/08/04 16:40:13
Come to think of it, I don't think there's ANY sandwich that you can't put tomatoes on. Can you name one?
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:Tomato and Lettuce made with Our Garden Tomatoes 2010/08/04 16:41:28
Just did a BLT last night using yellow heirloom tomatoes and in-house made Danish bacon from one of our local independent grocers.  Very tasty!

Buddy
jeepguy
Re:Tomato and Lettuce made with Our Garden Tomatoes 2010/08/04 17:50:41
Foodbme

Come to think of it, I don't think there's ANY sandwich that you can't put tomatoes on. Can you name one?

Tomatoes on a peanut butter and jelly sandwich doesn't sound too good to me.
tiki
Filet Mignon
Re:Tomato and Lettuce made with Our Garden Tomatoes 2010/08/04 18:58:20
Foodbme

PB&J?
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
Re:Tomato and Lettuce made with Our Garden Tomatoes 2010/08/04 20:20:23
actually,  subbing the tomatoes  for the jelly....
winner!
acoustic blues
Hamburger
Re:Tomato and Lettuce made with Our Garden Tomatoes 2010/08/04 20:53:29
leethebard

Just had my favorite summer sandwich..a simple tomato and lettuce on toast, with mayo and a little sea salt and fresh ground pepper.....Any one enjoying this treat? How are your tomatoes this season??

You bet, leethebard. Nice toasted Italian bread from Anthony's Bakery Denville NJ, slathered with some Duke's mayo that my wife brought home from a  trip to Florida and our NEPA homegrown Jetstar 'maters. Mouth watering, for sure. It's a summer treat we look forward to every year.
With all the heat and humidity we've had this summer, our tomatoes are the best they've been in abut 3 years.

ab

Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Tomato and Lettuce made with Our Garden Tomatoes 2010/08/04 21:24:04
jeepguy

Foodbme

Tomatoes on a peanut butter and jelly sandwich doesn't sound too good to me.

I guess it would depend on the flavor of jelly you used. I'll try one and let you know. Will use Crunchy PB & Strawberry Jam.
carollwdls
Hamburger
Re:Tomato and Lettuce made with Our Garden Tomatoes 2010/08/04 21:50:59
Tomato Sandies, Yes Indeed! I don't have a garden, but the East Texas tomatoes this year are wonderful. I've been eating ET tomato sandwiches (thin wheat bread, a dab of Hellman's Mayo, Jane's Crazy Salt, fresh ground pepper & tomatoes) for over a month & relishing every one. It's one of the short list of foods that just sing SUMMER to me! .. "Get it while you can..."

Ev1L
Hamburger
Re:Tomato and Lettuce made with Our Garden Tomatoes 2010/08/04 22:03:56
Foodbme

Er, any sandwich I eat. I do not like raw tomatoes.

/me runs
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Tomato and Lettuce made with Our Garden Tomatoes 2010/08/04 22:34:28
Ev1L

Foodbme

Er, any sandwich I eat. I do not like raw tomatoes.

/me runs

My deepest Sympathys. I would be a miserable soul if I couldn't eat tomatoes and any Tomato by-product
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:Tomato and Lettuce made with Our Garden Tomatoes 2010/08/05 07:31:39
Added some fresh basil leaves today,also from the garden...and Mellowroast,this time I didn't toast the bread...great sandwich...any of you add some basil over the tomato?
rebeltruce
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Tomato and Lettuce made with Our Garden Tomatoes 2010/08/05 07:58:05
leethebard

Added some fresh basil leaves today,also from the garden...and Mellowroast,this time I didn't toast the bread...great sandwich...any of you add some basil over the tomato?

Sometimes I add a little basil oil to my mayo.......it's kinda cool having green mayo on my sandwich.

Normally I only use basil mayo on my basic Wonder bread (un-toasted), tomato, S&P, and basil mayo sandwich.

agnesrob
Re:Tomato and Lettuce made with Our Garden Tomatoes 2010/08/05 08:00:57
leethebard,  Our tomatoes are really excellent this year! We've been enjoying them for a couple of weeks now. I love adding some basil to my tomato sandwiches!
cavandre
Re:Tomato and Lettuce made with Our Garden Tomatoes 2010/08/05 10:04:00
I'm waiting for the produce stand down the road to put up their annual sign announcing that the "Imported NJ tomatoes are in".
TnTinCT
Cheeseburger
Re:Tomato and Lettuce made with Our Garden Tomatoes 2010/08/05 11:22:19
My fave is a nice tomato / fresh mozz salad with some basil, a little olive oil and some balsamic.  We have some nice cherry tomatoes we do that way which is great as a fresh side dish.
fishtaco
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Tomato and Lettuce made with Our Garden Tomatoes 2010/08/05 11:58:59
Just had my first tomato ripen, stood right there in the yard with a bit of salt and scarffed that thing down!
Rusty246
Re:Tomato and Lettuce made with Our Garden Tomatoes 2010/08/05 11:59:28
On my fried egg sandwich for breakfast!
MellowRoast
Re:Tomato and Lettuce made with Our Garden Tomatoes 2010/08/05 12:29:50
leethebard

Can't handle the fresh basil, but I use Romaine or leaf lettuce whenever I can.  For some reason, fresh basil doesn't agree with my palate.  Interestingly, I like dried basil just fine.  Go figure. 

MellowRoast
Re:Tomato and Lettuce made with Our Garden Tomatoes 2010/08/05 12:33:00
Another favorite is a tomato & slaw sandwich.  I spread homemade slaw on one slice of bread and plop a thick-sliced tomato on the other.  A little sea salt and freshly ground pepper, too.  Hubba Hubba.
Play27
Cheeseburger
Re:Tomato and Lettuce made with Our Garden Tomatoes 2010/08/05 13:36:37
Fresh NC tomato from my backyard, squishy white bread, mayo, salt and pepper. The only thing wrong is that my tomatoes are so ripe that you have to inhale the sandwich before it gets overly soggy! I like my tomato sandwiches on untoasted bread but my BLT on toast. Add a little avocado for a treat!
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:Tomato and Lettuce made with Our Garden Tomatoes 2010/08/05 14:13:27
MellowRoast

Another favorite is a tomato & slaw sandwich.  I spread homemade slaw on one slice of bread and plop a thick-sliced tomato on the other.  A little sea salt and freshly ground pepper, too.  Hubba Hubba.

Did not have home made slaw, but put some on today's sandwich...not bad, actually!
BillyB
Filet Mignon
Re:Tomato and Lettuce made with Our Garden Tomatoes 2010/08/06 10:21:08
Tomato & lettuce sounds like a "Depression sandwich" then you got a job, brought home the bacon, it turned into a BLT........I do agree with you, I used to make a veggie sandwich, with lettuce, tomato, sprouts, mushrooms, cucumber, onion, avocado, on a good wheat bread...............The crunch is what made it...........BillyB
tiki
Filet Mignon
Re:Tomato and Lettuce made with Our Garden Tomatoes 2010/08/07 14:17:15
SHE,BlackQueen

Tomato Sandies, Yes Indeed! I don't have a garden, but the East Texas tomatoes this year are wonderful. I've been eating ET tomato sandwiches (thin wheat bread, a dab of Hellman's Mayo, Jane's Crazy Salt, fresh ground pepper & tomatoes) for over a month & relishing every one. It's one of the short list of foods that just sing SUMMER to me! .. "Get it while you can..."

we are haveing the EXACT same lunch!--but i toast the bread!
TrentonDog
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Tomato and Lettuce made with Our Garden Tomatoes 2010/08/08 14:12:05
I love fresh Jersey tomatoes. Been picking some beefsteaks out of the garden. Good stuff. Corn should be ready soon too. (I planted late)

leethebard
Sirloin
Re:Tomato and Lettuce made with Our Garden Tomatoes 2010/08/08 14:26:58
Chopped some in scrampled eggs today with garden grown herbs...great breakfast...put it on a real bagel..a little sea salt and fresh ground pepper...wow!!!!
BelleReve
Re:Tomato and Lettuce made with Our Garden Tomatoes 2010/08/08 15:43:57
Next to blt, my favorite other sandwich is chicken on white bread, mayo, and topped with sliced Creoles(Celebrity, Big Boy).  

I also like to make what a friend who gave me the recipe called "Mexican dip" >  2-3 diced fresh tomatoes, chopped mild chiles, sliced black olives, green onions, oil and vinegar, garlic salt.  It's light and refreshing, scoop it with tortilla chips, and though it's not spicy, you could make it that way.

MellowRoast
Re:Tomato and Lettuce made with Our Garden Tomatoes 2010/08/23 17:44:07
Just found this, and it looks like a natural.  Whether on toast or not, I can go for this! 

Chef John Folse's All-Time Favorite Sandwich

4 slices of Creole tomatoes, 1/4-inch thick
2 tbsps mayonnaise
1 razor thin slice of a sweet Vidalia onion
1/8 tsp red wine vinegar
salt and cracked black pepper to taste
2 slices of white bread

Place 2 slices of white bread on a cutting board, topping each slice with a heaping spoonful of mayonnaise. Slather evenly across the bread. Place the 4 Creole tomato slices evenly from edge to edge over one of the bread slices. Drizzle the red wine vinegar over the tomatoes. Top with sliced onion and season to taste using salt and pepper. Cover with remaining slice of bread. Cut diagonally from end to end, wrap loosely in a double coating of paper towels to catch tomato drippings and bite down.  Chef Folse‚Äôs Note: I would recommend eating this sandwich alone...after all, it can become a bit messy!

leethebard
Sirloin
Re:Tomato and Lettuce made with Our Garden Tomatoes 2010/08/24 16:38:27
Great idea..onions go great with tomatoes...we make a tomato salad with chopped tomatoes,onions, oil and balsamic vinegar...and eat it with crusty Italian bread(to dunk in the juice)...but this turns it into a sandwich...got to try it, perhaps even on thinly sliced Italian bread!!!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Tomato and Lettuce made with Our Garden Tomatoes 2010/08/24 19:28:05
I make it as well. Occasionally I'll use different Vinegars just for variety and I also use Cavender's Greek Seasoning for a change of pace. http://www.greekseasoning.com/
carollwdls
Hamburger
Re:Tomato and Lettuce made with Our Garden Tomatoes 2010/08/24 20:49:52
Uuuummmm, I'm still enjoying the East Texas tomatoes, but have recently been enjoying a new bounty of Tennessee tomatoes too! They are bigger than the ET ones (PERFECT size to fill up a whole sandwich with one big juicy slice!) 

MellowRoast, I just hoped that if I waited long enough someone else would 'fess up to not liking fresh basil! I have felt soooo freakish and solitary in my aversion since I always thought I was the ONLY person on the whole planet that didn't love it. (& Go figure: I love cilantro, which is also a pungent herb that many people can't tolerate. So, why don't I relish basil?) Now I know I am NOT ALONE. Your slaw/tomato combo sounds wonderful; I will have to try it! Play27, I also find that my sandies start to disintegrate before I can finish them, but I DO love the challenge!  And Tiki: EXACT same except for toasted bread? You use Jane's too? 

Besides the sandwiches, I have been working on a Tomato/Hatch Chile savory pie that is turning out to be inspired. Pie crust on the bottom only (baked first so it will stay crispy), equalish components of chopped fresh tomatoes & HOT (Of COURSE!) Hatch chiles (drained in the collandar & hand squeezed to remove moisture), julienne slices of onion sauted until golden brown & whole roasted garlic cloves, fresh chopped Italian parsley & cilantro all mixed together and topped with a combo of creamy goat cheese, shredded Mexican white cheese & toasted pine nuts. My most recent version turned out fabulously! 
MellowRoast
Re:Tomato and Lettuce made with Our Garden Tomatoes 2010/08/25 10:51:48
leethebard

Great idea..onions go great with tomatoes...we make a tomato salad with chopped tomatoes,onions, oil and balsamic vinegar...and eat it with crusty Italian bread(to dunk in the juice)...but this turns it into a sandwich...got to try it, perhaps even on thinly sliced Italian bread!!!

Sounds excellent.   Mercy me.
MellowRoast
Re:Tomato and Lettuce made with Our Garden Tomatoes 2010/08/25 10:59:41
She, BlackQueen:  Coincidentally, you're the only other person I've run across with a distaste for fresh basil.  To me, however, it's just as pungent as cilantro.  Go figger!

There's no way to explain taste, though.   I don't like avocados, but I like guacamole.  When people make fun of that (as if I'm not aware of the connection), I name off all my friends who hate milk but love ice cream.   
post edited by MellowRoast - 2010/08/25 12:17:33
MellowRoast
Re:Tomato and Lettuce made with Our Garden Tomatoes 2010/08/25 12:21:55
Here's something else I often add to vegetable sandwiches, and it's great.  I peel a cucumber, slice it lengthwise into planks (similar to Claussen sandwich slices), and add a layer of them to a tomato-lettuce sandwich.  Very good.
post edited by MellowRoast - 2010/08/25 13:14:21
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:Tomato and Lettuce made with Our Garden Tomatoes 2010/08/25 14:05:53
Had cucumber sandwiches in England..By itself a great sandwich with salt and pepper...would be great with a fresh tomato, also.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Tomato and Lettuce made with Our Garden Tomatoes 2010/08/25 16:14:42
MellowRoast

Here's something else I often add to vegetable sandwiches, and it's great.  I peel a cucumber, slice it lengthwise into planks (similar to Claussen sandwich slices), and add a layer of them to a tomato-lettuce sandwich.  Very good.

Same here.  I just did it today and yesterday.  I used honey wheat bread, alfalfa sprouts, good swiss cheese. Grainger county tomatoes, long sliced cucumbers, mayo, salt and pepper.

Great and refreshing and a super summer sandwich.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Tomato and Lettuce made with Our Garden Tomatoes 2010/08/25 16:18:32
Today I had a Tomato-Cream Cheese Sandwich. Spread 2 slices of toasted whole wheat bread with Generous amount of Cream Cheese and sliced tomato, S&P. Good Eats!
MellowRoast
Re:Tomato and Lettuce made with Our Garden Tomatoes 2010/08/26 09:22:10
The supply of Grainger County tomatoes here has been very meager this summer.  I really miss them.