Seymour Burger Fest 2010 this weekend

Filet Mignon
2010/08/06 10:40:45
I know this is short notice but this weekend Seymour, WI is holding its 22nd annual Burger Fest, which celebrates Charlie Nagreen's contribution to the world of ground beef.

No word on whether or not Charlie will be on hand to sign autographs.

Brad
i95
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Seymour Burger Fest 2010 this weekend 2010/08/06 11:37:35
Oh, thank God. When I saw the title of this thread, I thought you meant this Seymour Burger.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:Seymour Burger Fest 2010 this weekend 2010/08/06 11:52:06
Hmmm, wonder what those folks in New Haven, Connecticut will have to say about Seymour's claim to fame.  Louis Lunch meet Charlie Nagreen.  You two may have something to discuss...

Buddy
jabber811
Junior Burger
Re:Seymour Burger Fest 2010 this weekend 2010/08/06 12:04:28
I've noticed a couple places claim to be the birthplace of the American burger.
easydoesit
Cheeseburger
Re:Seymour Burger Fest 2010 this weekend 2010/08/07 04:29:25
Sad to report that my wife and I visited the Seymour festival once, and decided there was no reason to return.  Most of the festivities are for kids, like the ketchup slide, and that's fine, that's how it should be.  We just went to visit the museum, and we wanted to support the event by each buying a burger and a t-shirt.

But the only place to get those items was inside the fairgrounds, and they wanted five bucks each to get in.  We sure didn't need to see the ketchup slide, and only wanted to get those items.  We could see the stands where they were sold, and asked the ticket sellers if we couldn't just go over there and make the purchases.

Nope, not without ten bucks to get in, we couldn't.  Something about having to spend money just for the opportunity to spend more money seemed a little too grasping to us, so we declined, and they didn't get any money from us at all.

But, darn it, we wanted a burger in Seymour!  Know what they've got?  We found a fast food joint, I think McDonalds, on the highway, and that's it.

We did find a bar that normally does not sell food, but they were capitalizing on the event and had some burgers made up and staying hot in a Nesco.  So we had a burger and beer with the locals, who were laughing at the lack of burgers at the burger fest.  There were no other burgers in town.

Hey, it's small potatoes, but the fest could have had an extra 30 or so bucks from us and maybe many others if they were a little more accomodating.

So, been there, done that.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Seymour Burger Fest 2010 this weekend 2010/08/07 05:51:29
easydoesit

Sad to report that my wife and I visited the Seymour festival once, and decided there was no reason to return.  Most of the festivities are for kids, like the ketchup slide, and that's fine, that's how it should be.  We just went to visit the museum, and we wanted to support the event by each buying a burger and a t-shirt.

But the only place to get those items was inside the fairgrounds, and they wanted five bucks each to get in.  We sure didn't need to see the ketchup slide, and only wanted to get those items.  We could see the stands where they were sold, and asked the ticket sellers if we couldn't just go over there and make the purchases.

Nope, not without ten bucks to get in, we couldn't.  Something about having to spend money just for the opportunity to spend more money seemed a little too grasping to us, so we declined, and they didn't get any money from us at all.

But, darn it, we wanted a burger in Seymour!  Know what they've got?  We found a fast food joint, I think McDonalds, on the highway, and that's it.

We did find a bar that normally does not sell food, but they were capitalizing on the event and had some burgers made up and staying hot in a Nesco.  So we had a burger and beer with the locals, who were laughing at the lack of burgers at the burger fest.  There were no other burgers in town.

Hey, it's small potatoes, but the fest could have had an extra 30 or so bucks from us and maybe many others if they were a little more accomodating.

So, been there, done that.

We had the same experience at the Hatch Chile Festival in Hatch, NM. Could see and do everything in less than a 1/2 hour.