Dip Dogs

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Junior Burger
RE: Dip Dogs 2008/01/25 20:17:06
Except 2 freshly made DIPDOGS????
NascarDad
Cheeseburger
RE: Dip Dogs 2008/01/25 21:19:08
Are dipdogs corndogs? Not sure what to expect. I don't get down that way too often but I keep threatening to go down to Bristol.. but that doesnt happen often with me working all the time and living up in Goochland.
TheSpacePope
Junior Burger
RE: Dip Dogs 2008/01/25 21:57:56
Hmmmmm.....concept is similar but the texture is different. Dip Dogs have bit of a crunch to them , batter is lighter.

You need a good 3 or four to make a meal in my book too...just regular sized franks.
BR
Cheeseburger
RE: Dip Dogs 2008/01/27 14:07:00
Try mixing flour with soda water. The batter should be fairly thin. Throw in a couple drops of yellow food coloring. This will make a crispy golden batter.
flasher49
Junior Burger
RE: Dip Dogs 2008/01/27 21:22:16
I dont think I would try that combination.. Doesn't sound to good. THis is what makes DIPDOGS so unique its a secret recipe and takes several steps to make the perfect DIPDOG>
HM9
Junior Burger
RE: Dip Dogs 2008/02/11 02:20:15
I'd say its a beer batter similar to good fish and chips.
TheSpacePope
Junior Burger
RE: Dip Dogs 2008/02/11 03:35:33
Doesn't have quite the same consistency as a beer batter. Whatever it is,they're pretty good.

I'll be swinging by for a feed of 'em in March for sure....maybe a side of those monster onion rings as well.
flasher49
Junior Burger
RE: Dip Dogs 2008/02/11 14:24:28
We look forward to having you stop in. Yum Yum nothing like a dipdog and freshly made Onion Rings. See ya in March.
divefl
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Dip Dogs 2008/02/11 14:37:56
good to know. May be down that way soon.
mikez629
Cheeseburger
RE: Dip Dogs 2008/02/11 15:16:56
Dudes,leave this poor Dipdog guy alone-his recipe is a secret-he is not going to tell you.Just go there and enjoy a Dipdog-sound really good.
BR
Cheeseburger
RE: Dip Dogs 2008/02/11 21:00:33
Dude... No One is bugging the Dip Dog guy! He's loving the attention his dip dogs are getting. Why do you think he keeps hanging around? If it were not 1,500 miles from me I'd be glad to give the guy some business.
divefl
RE: Dip Dogs 2008/02/12 11:14:19
Dude. dude? Duuuuuude!
mikez629
Cheeseburger
RE: Dip Dogs 2008/02/12 12:45:27
quote:
Originally posted by BR

Dude... No One is bugging the Dip Dog guy! He's loving the attention his dip dogs are getting. Why do you think he keeps hanging around? If it were not 1,500 miles from me I'd be glad to give the guy some business.

I understand that he like the attention-asking him to give up the recipe is stupid. Ask him other Q's. I would love to eat one of his Dipdogs as well.

Dude?
divefl
RE: Dip Dogs 2008/02/12 12:47:52
DipDog man, do you need Mike to protect you are you doing ok on your own? Mike, if you have something different you want to know just ask.
mikez629
Cheeseburger
RE: Dip Dogs 2008/02/12 15:35:10
quote:
Originally posted by divefl

DipDog man, do you need Mike to protect you are you doing ok on your own? Mike, if you have something different you want to know just ask.

What ever DUDE,its annoying hearing the same Q's over and over again. That is all I am saying. Why is everybody so defensive all the time.
divefl
RE: Dip Dogs 2008/02/12 15:36:36
Defensive? Check the mirror.
flasher49
Junior Burger
RE: Dip Dogs 2008/02/12 21:32:03
Guys no need to disagree on a DIPDOG.. First it's not a guy your asking questions to, I am a lady. And it's okay to ask questions I really don't mind but there are some I will not give out like the recipe for it is a secret but it does take more steps in making a DIPDOG than you think. Actually there is about 10 steps we do to make sure a DIPDOG is what it is suppose to be. And there are certain steps we take in making our onion rings. That is why it is so good and also the large order of onion rings you get. If your ever in our area stop in and see us and let me know you were from the road food forum.
mikez629
Cheeseburger
RE: Dip Dogs 2008/02/13 08:43:09
quote:
Originally posted by flasher49

Guys no need to disagree on a DIPDOG.. First it's not a guy your asking questions to, I am a lady. And it's okay to ask questions I really don't mind but there are some I will not give out like the recipe for it is a secret but it does take more steps in making a DIPDOG than you think. Actually there is about 10 steps we do to make sure a DIPDOG is what it is suppose to be. And there are certain steps we take in making our onion rings. That is why it is so good and also the large order of onion rings you get. If your ever in our area stop in and see us and let me know you were from the road food forum.

Sorry about that lady!
hatteras04
RE: Dip Dogs 2008/02/13 09:57:17
Does anyone have a picture of one to show?

Thanks
Russ Jackson
RE: Dip Dogs 2008/02/13 10:25:22
There is a pretty good picture at there web site http://www.dipdogs.net/

She says there are about 10 steps to the process which leads me to think it might have yeast in the process. I guess I will have to stop by and try one. Always love to hear when sombody has a method that is proven over the course of time, still made the same way, and the passion of the owners continues to make a quality product for 50 years. Only thing I find amazing is that they are closed the week of July 4th which I think would be there busiest seeing as more hot dogs are sold that week than at any other time of the year....Russ
divefl
RE: Dip Dogs 2008/02/13 10:37:12
I'd like to check on this secret this Monday. Open for the holiday?
mikez629
Cheeseburger
RE: Dip Dogs 2008/02/13 10:40:41
quote:

If you go we need good pics!-I can't wait to hear a report
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Dip Dogs 2008/02/13 15:47:51
Once again, Russ hit the nail on the head!

Oh Russ, maybe there celebrating the 4th? If I owned a hot dog place and was rich, thats what I would do.
Joe
flasher49
Junior Burger
RE: Dip Dogs 2008/02/13 20:28:40
Okay I will answer a few questions. The reason we are closed July 4th week is that since we have to be at the Dipdog stand 7 days a week and we don't get a vacation like others do. We found that is works great to just close a week and all our employees take their vacation and so do we and when we all come back to work we are all rested and ready to go again. Summers are very hard on us and this gives us a week with rest and we can enjoy the 4th like everyone else.
No there is no yeast in our DipDogs so we will lay that one to rest.
Dont forget your loved ones on Valentines Day. Just a reminder..
divefl
RE: Dip Dogs 2008/02/14 10:33:32
quote:
Originally posted by mikez629

quote:

If you go we need good pics!-I can't wait to hear a report

Let down. Just mapped it out and it was not where I thought it was. Taking BRP on the way back and it hits the road well north of DipDog. Will have to wait until summer.
flasher40
Junior Burger
RE: Dip Dogs 2009/06/16 22:29:20
where is all the Dipdog fans?   havent heard from you all in a while. 
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
RE: Dip Dogs 2009/06/16 22:58:53
What's up with that "EXIT 39" on their website front page????
WHAT CITY????
What STATE???

terrible front page, in that regard...
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
RE: Dip Dogs 2009/06/17 07:31:58
Marion, Virginia.
badbyron722
Cheeseburger
RE: Dip Dogs 2009/06/26 10:47:40
Making me want one bad.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Dip Dogs 2009/09/14 15:16:52
I'll go ahead and apologize now for the quality of the following photos.  I just bought a new camera and am struggling with learning how to use it.

I got Dip Dogged yesterday. 

First of all, finding this place isn't as easy as just getting off of Exit 39 of I-81.  You can take Hwy. 11 in two different directions, so I asked someone in the parking lot of the nearby American Legion, I think it was.  The man responded, "You sure are going to the right place!"  Anyway, he sent me in the proper direction and I arrived, only to find almost no parking spots left in the lot.  I finally improvised a spot next to the trash dumpster and went in.

After placing my order, I sat down in the tiny inside and started chatting with a couple who live nearby now, but was originally from the Hot Springs, Arkansas area.  So of course, we discussed how much we loved McClards BBQ in Hot Springs.  He mentioned that in a feature on the local tv news about Dip Dog, he is interviewed and can be seen eating in the background.  My new friend told me that Dip Dog is a local institution.

About 10 minutes later, my number was called, meaning my food was ready.  I grabbed my bag and took it to a picnic bench.  They do have outdoor seating in a shaded area, but wanting to take pictures, I sat out in the sun.  Here are my two Dip Dogs, heavily bathed in yellow mustard:

The coating was light and had a slight crunch to it.  You know how sometimes at festivals when you get a corn dog, it tastes like it was deep fried a month ago?  Not here.  Very, very fresh tasting.  The wiener on the inside is a surprisingly bright red color. 

Interesting combination that obviously works.

Having also read about how good the onion rings are, I grabbed an order of those, too.

Also with a very light coating, these were excellent!  To wash it all down, a thick blackberry shake.

Before I left, I snapped a photo of their menu board.

Dip Dog is well worth a couple hour drive! 

post edited by buffetbuster - 2009/09/14 15:21:09
Buckshot
Hamburger
RE: Dip Dogs 2010/11/11 17:06:13
Fixing dip dogs (and onion rings) Saturday night!  Love dip dogs, haven't fixed them in about a year, so I'm way overdue!  Corn dogs are a common commodity in Texas, and very few people have ever heard of a "dip dog"!

Buckshot 
flasher40
Junior Burger
Re:Dip Dogs 2011/01/27 22:51:44
the DIPDOG stand is off of exit 39 onto hwy 11 west Marion, Va. 24354
Benzee
Re:Dip Dogs 2011/01/30 15:25:52
Hello Flasher ,

We are conseidering the Bristol race ourselves this yr and would be coming down I 81 . Will keep  you advised of  if and when we will be coming .
If you folks were in Jersey i'm sure we would add you to our Annual Hot Dog Tour . Mapquest says 9.5 hours from me . damn I'm ready for the drive right now

Benzee
BR
Cheeseburger
Re:Dip Dogs 2011/03/23 17:50:24
I just learned that there is a Dixie Dog Drive-In, in Ponca City, Oklahoma that claims to serve a true southern Virginia Dip Dog. That's about an hour and a half from me so maybe sometime in the near future I'll get top try one. Honestly though from pics I've seen they don't seem much different than a corn dog.
melindaregner
Junior Burger
RE: Dip Dogs 2011/03/30 18:05:26
myway

Hi,
What's the difference between a, "hand-dipped", corn dog and a regular corndog? I really don't know. At carnivals, the handipped style are pretty much twice the price. What is the name of the corn dog place in Texas that was featured on Mark Decarlo's show? They are suppose to have some great corn dogs too. Congrats to you Flasher, sounds like your doing well.

What a question! haha!
I like the conversation thread her. :)
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2