Dip Dogs

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 95
chezkatie
  • Total Posts : 1329
  • Reward points : 0
Dip Dogs - Tue, 01/20/04 9:30 AM
I finally came across my notes on a great ROADFOOD find just off Route 81 in Virginia. We stumbled across it last summer and what a great find it turned out to be. We wanted to take a break from Route 81 because of all the heavy traffic so went on Route 11 and happened on to a tiny place called "The Dip Dog". It turned out that their specialty is called a dip dog..............not to be confused with a corn dog. The hot dog is the brightest red thing you ever saw. It is on a stick and dipped into a secret batter and then deep fried. When it comes out of the fryer, it is dipped into bright yellow mustard and put on a small piece of white paper. We ordered 8 of them and when we brought out to one of the four picnic tables there, we could see that they were each wrapped in their white paper and all of them heaped in a brown paper bag..........they even stuck in an extra one! They were great! We ate everyone of them and decided that for 75 cents each, they could not be making much money on them. They sold sandwiches, fried seafood, and ice cream and sundaes.

As we sat there eating, people were starting pull up after church to get their dip dogs. We noticed that most of the people brought their own beverages with them and just sat on the hood of their trucks and cars and ate away. I think we were the only strangers there.

This place is located in West Marion, VA just off Rt 81 on Rt 11.......in fact, we could watch the traffic on Rt 81 as we ate. I would say it was about halfway between Abingdon and Wytheville, Va. Going south we would get on route 11 at Wytheville to find it and coming north we would get on route 11 at Abingdon. We are looking forward to more dip dogs the next time we are in that area.

Lone Star
  • Total Posts : 1730
RE: Dip Dogs - Tue, 01/20/04 10:23 AM
OK, that description has already made me hungry!

scbuzz
  • Total Posts : 844
RE: Dip Dogs - Tue, 01/20/04 11:30 AM
Was the batter sweet tasting on those dip dogs ? The one thing I don't like about other corn dogs is that the batter seems too sweet for me ! The mustard helps to cut down on the sweetness but I still taste it !!

I used to love corn dogs as a kid, so my taste buds must have changed !

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13387
RE: Dip Dogs - Tue, 01/20/04 11:35 AM
I like to fry my own dip dogs or corn dogs. The batter was a little tricky for me and I had to add a mixture of corn and flour. It is fun to add additional stuff to the batter such as onions or jalapenos.

A little mustard or ketchup is good. Sometimes I add both and I have also added cheese whiz to the outside of the fried batter.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

chezkatie
RE: Dip Dogs - Tue, 01/20/04 12:01 PM
quote:
Originally posted by clothier

Yeah, what kind of batter was it? Spicy? Corny? More info, please!

The batter did not have any distinct flavor.........it certainly was not sweet.....I am going to try to duplicate it sometime by using a thick pancake batter but as I have never even made a "corndog", I do not know how successful my attempt at making this will be. The coating was really great as you tasted the hot dog and mustard so well! For a real hot dog lover like me, this Dip Dog was a wonderful treat.

Brahma Bob
  • Total Posts : 46
RE: Dip Dogs - Tue, 01/20/04 5:55 PM
quote:
Originally posted by chezkatie

quote:
Originally posted by clothier

Yeah, what kind of batter was it? Spicy? Corny? More info, please!

The batter did not have any distinct flavor.........it certainly was not sweet.....I am going to try to duplicate it sometime by using a thick pancake batter but as I have never even made a "corndog", I do not know how successful my attempt at making this will be. The coating was really great as you tasted the hot dog and mustard so well! For a real hot dog lover like me, this Dip Dog was a wonderful treat.

Paul Prudhomme's recipe for Hush Puppies makes the best corn dog batter on the planet.

chicagostyledog
  • Total Posts : 3218
RE: Dip Dogs - Wed, 01/21/04 5:44 PM
If you want to talk about corn dogs,when I was a student at Southern Illinois University, this was one of my favorite stops on Route 66 between Chicago & Carbondale. As it turns out, 35 years later, it's featured on the PBS Hot Dog Program. Check out the history of the corn dog along with some classic pictures of the original building at:

www.cozydogdrivein.com

One thing I can't figure out is the picture of that kid in the cowboy costume. Is that a human or a doll standing next to him in the back of the ice cream cone truck?

Yummy1
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Dip Dogs - Tue, 02/10/04 12:17 PM
I went to college in Southwest Virginia and one of the happiest days of my college life was when my friend from Marion introduced me to The Dip Dog. It is always referred to as The Dip Dog never just Dip Dog.
The last time I was in Southwest Virginia was right before I got married- pre-emptive honeymoon, and I hadn't eaten beef in about three years. The first place we went after we checked into our hotel was The Dip Dog. I got a bacon cheeseburger and an order of onion rings (the best I've ever had) and never regretted a bite.
I currently live in New Orleans so I have plenty of great eateries from which to choose but none can replace The Dip Dog.
Thanks ChezKatie for spreading the word!

i95
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Dip Dogs - Tue, 02/10/04 1:25 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Yummy1

I went to college in Southwest Virginia

Hokie, Hokie, High, Yummy1 ??

chezkatie
RE: Dip Dogs - Tue, 02/10/04 1:50 PM
quote:

I went to college in Southwest Virginia and one of the happiest days of my college life was when my friend from Marion introduced me to The Dip Dog. It is always referred to as The Dip Dog never just Dip Dog.
The last time I was in Southwest Virginia was right before I got married- pre-emptive honeymoon, and I hadn't eaten beef in about three years. The first place we went after we checked into our hotel was The Dip Dog. I got a bacon cheeseburger and an order of onion rings (the best I've ever had) and never regretted a bite.
I currently live in New Orleans so I have plenty of great eateries from which to choose but none can replace The Dip Dog.
Thanks ChezKatie for spreading the word!

It sounds like you really know the place. Have you ever heard how their batter is made or what is in it. I would love to know

flasher40
  • Total Posts : 15
RE: Dip Dogs - Thu, 01/26/06 1:11 PM
Just want to Thank you for the nice response on the DIP DOG STAND..In 2007 it will be around for 50 years. THe batter is a secret so we can't give that out. But we dont use pancake batter so don't try that one.. IT is a unique batter we have and they are made fresh daily and so is our onion rings..... If anyone is every by Marion or Chilhowie Virginia we would love for you to stop in and see us we are on HWY 11 West of Marion.. The phone number is 276-783-2698. Thank again for you kind remarks about the DIPDOG that is why we are still in business for 50 years is for all the nice people we serve.. God bless you all... Grant and Pam Hall owners of the DIPDOG STAND...

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13387
RE: Dip Dogs - Thu, 01/26/06 1:28 PM
quote:
Originally posted by flasher40

Just want to Thank you for the nice response on the DIP DOG STAND..In 2007 it will be around for 50 years. THe batter is a secret so we can't give that out. But we dont use pancake batter so don't try that one.. IT is a unique batter we have and they are made fresh daily and so is our onion rings..... If anyone is every by Marion or Chilhowie Virginia we would love for you to stop in and see us we are on HWY 11 West of Marion.. The phone number is 276-783-2698. Thank again for you kind remarks about the DIPDOG that is why we are still in business for 50 years is for all the nice people we serve.. God bless you all... Grant and Pam Hall owners of the DIPDOG STAND...

You did get some very nice comments. I do not get that way often but when I read the above comments, it made me want to travel that way. 50 years is a long time.

Good luck

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

myway
  • Total Posts : 308
RE: Dip Dogs - Thu, 01/26/06 2:30 PM
Sounds fantastic! Just out of curiosity, all beef, or mixed meat hot dogs, and size? Our ususal corn dog here is premade out of a carton and deep fried hard brown on the outside, cold pink on the inside, mercy!

ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1503
RE: Dip Dogs - Thu, 01/26/06 6:21 PM
I bemoan. There is not a great corn dog to be had in New Jersey.

roossy90
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Dip Dogs - Thu, 01/26/06 6:40 PM
quote:
Originally posted by i95

quote:

I went to college in Southwest Virginia

Hokie, Hokie, High, Yummy1 ??

My uncle was a professor at VT.... for about 30 years or so.....
Even wrote a text book...

Tommy2dogs
  • Total Posts : 348
RE: Dip Dogs - Thu, 01/26/06 7:31 PM
It is my understanding that Corn Dogs were invented in Texas and first offered to the public at the Texas State Fair held in Fair Park in Dallas. Lived there 10 years and never had one, but I'm sure someone from that area can comment.

flasher40
RE: Dip Dogs - Mon, 01/30/06 10:17 AM
Hope everyone is having a wonderful day... We have people from all states that come by to get one of our DIPDOGS> We have been asked by a lot of people to franchise but that just wouldn't be the same for we take pride in how everything is cooked. We have shipped DIPDOGS as well. About 2 months ago film producers came by to do a documentary on the DIPDOG Stand and it is now airing in the Sundance film festival so I am anxious to see how that turns out as well. We have also been listed in a book as one of the best restaurants around and for the second time in a row in we have been voted best restaurant, best service, best hotdogs, best hamburgers, best icecream, best fries, so this is a nice accomplishment.. I am starting to work on some ideas to do for our 50th anniversary for 50 years is a long time for a business to keep going so if any of you would like to give me some ideas that would be great. We also have been featured in Southern LIving which was exciting as well... Heres wishing everyone a wonderful day....... The DIPDOG

myway
  • Total Posts : 308
RE: Dip Dogs - Mon, 01/30/06 2:31 PM
Hi,
What's the difference between a, "hand-dipped", corn dog and a regular corndog? I really don't know. At carnivals, the handipped style are pretty much twice the price. What is the name of the corn dog place in Texas that was featured on Mark Decarlo's show? They are suppose to have some great corn dogs too. Congrats to you Flasher, sounds like your doing well.

jeepguy
  • Total Posts : 1555
RE: Dip Dogs - Mon, 01/30/06 3:15 PM
When i was in grade school in TN my teacher was from Brooklyn. I asked her what the lunch menu was, she said Dip Dogs with that funny accent.What??? We called em Pronto Pups down there!

jhatfill
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Dip Dogs - Fri, 06/30/06 10:18 AM
I live in southwest virginia and I was so excited to see that someone from "outside" knows about the dip dog stand. Just to let you all know, they have built on and now the building is about twice the size it used to be. I have a recipe somewhere to *almost* duplicate the dip dog batter, unfortunately, i can't find it. I do have to mention though, if you're going to come get a dip dog, you have to get the onion rings too. The dip dog doesn't have fancy printed bags like the chain fast food joints do, but their bags are distinctive. After the food is put in a plain brown paper bag, the grease leaks out and makes spots all over it. It's fabulous! Y'all come see us down here and have a dip dog or two!

TheSpacePope
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Dip Dogs - Fri, 01/26/07 9:53 PM
These things are goooooo-oood!!....one more reason to cross the pacific and the USA for. I'll be back around SW VA area visiting a lady friend in a week or so and one of the first things I intend doing is scarfing down a Dip Dog or five ...with lots of mustard!! .

Last time I was there I remembered ordering just one and the lady at the counter said ..."ONE??...you sure ain't very hungry today are ya?" ended up buy three and a coke. After that I could have gone one or two more ...they were soooo nice.

These things aren't corndogs as such.....the batter is much nicer. Probably reminds me vaguely of a battered sav (savaloy) here in Australia ...but again...the batter is lighter, crisper and nicer on a dip dog.

Got me sold , Dip Dog Stand! Keep up the good work.

RibRater
  • Total Posts : 1862
RE: Dip Dogs - Sun, 01/28/07 8:33 AM
flasher40,

what are your hours of operation? i see a lunch trip this week.

thanks,

larry

MBFDFyre
  • Total Posts : 243
RE: Dip Dogs - Sun, 01/28/07 8:51 AM
quote:

Is there a website? with lots of mouth watering picture?

RibRater
RE: Dip Dogs - Sat, 03/24/07 6:10 AM
Here are a few pics of the dip dog stand and their famous dip dog. This was a nice road-side food stand..very clean, nice menu, and plenty of outside seating. I was there on a cloudy cold day weekend day and there was still a pretty good crowd so I suspect these folks do a nice business.

The dip dog is a valleydale type of dog that I think is a pork/beef combo. The coating is a very light, crunchy batter about 1/8 of an inch thick. They are served hot with a coating of mustard so I ordered two..one without so I could inspect the coating. The dog was better with the mustard but still good without. My wife and son had a hamburger and fries...both fresh and acceptable but nothing outstanding.

Like most road-side stands, they have a large menu of the regular popular foods..dogs, burgers, chicken strips, ice cream..but they also offer sandwiches like a reuben (pass ;-)

I saw a tastee freeze over in chilhowie on our way to dip dog so we stopped by there on the way back to grab an ice cream. It was snowing lightly and I was wearing shorts and t-shirt which tends to bring some odd looks..especially when ordering ice cream. The tastee freeze was exactly as I remember from my youth..clean, small menu, good ice cream.

I'm taking most of my pics with my cell phone so they don't always come out to good.

MikeS.
  • Total Posts : 5360
RE: Dip Dogs - Sat, 03/24/07 8:45 AM
Thanks Larry, reminds me of a corn dog.

MikeS.

BR
  • Total Posts : 233
RE: Dip Dogs - Sat, 03/24/07 8:53 PM
How about a close-up of the one without the mustard slather?

BR

RibRater
RE: Dip Dogs - Sun, 03/25/07 7:52 AM
Sorry BR...the above are all I have.

Mike, it looks like a corndog but there's no cornmeal in the batter. I see the statement above about not using pancake batter and it certainly is a thin coating but I would think a VERY thin pancake batter and a quick dip in a hot fryer might produce a similar product.

techdog
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: Dip Dogs - Sun, 03/25/07 5:31 PM
looks like it could be tempura batter

Big Ugly Mich
  • Total Posts : 1302
RE: Dip Dogs - Sun, 03/25/07 6:19 PM
quote:
Originally posted by chicagostyledogIf you want to talk about corn dogs,when I was a student at Southern Illinois University, this was one of my favorite stops on Route 66 between Chicago & Carbondale. As it turns out, 35 years later, it's featured on the PBS Hot Dog Program. Check out the history of the corn dog along with some classic pictures of the original building at:

www.cozydogdrivein.com
I have a couple fond memories of Cozy Dog. One: When my wife and I were dating, she got me a copy of a hand drawn map of Route 66 by Bob Waldmire, son of Ed the founder of Cozy Dog, and The time we ate there. I mistakenly ordered a hot dog rather than a Cozy Dog.

The Diner is on 66 not too far from Old Springfield and Oak Park Cemetery, where Abe Lincoln and his family are buried, in Springfield, IL.

guspas
  • Total Posts : 197
RE: Dip Dogs - Tue, 03/27/07 1:42 AM
nothing beats a freshly made corndog.....except 2 freshly made corndogs.

doggydaddy
  • Total Posts : 1847
RE: Dip Dogs - Tue, 03/27/07 6:20 AM

This thread forced me to break out my corn dog recipe that I have well hidden. I made a dry batch and brought it to work. There I added the wet ingredients and cut the foot long Hummels in half. I made corn dogs for the whole staff. They were so good that one waitress brought two out to a regular customer.

I want to say that Flasher40's response to their stand is a great thing. I am sure that there is no doubt that he is glad that this place rates so highly and fondly with folks here. What is nice is how he conveyed the pride in ownership of this place. It is so important to like what you are doing and I get that feeling here.
I suspect that the resistance to expanding and franchising has more to do with the inability to capture the attitude as opposed to quality issues. Anyone could probably make a Dip Dog, but will they do it with joy, instead of a business?

===I am starting to work on some ideas to do for our 50th anniversary for 50 years is a long time for a business to keep going so if any of you would like to give me some ideas that would be great.===

Hmmm. I think that I need to taste a few before I come up with suitable ideas. I'll give you my address if you want...

mark

guacshorts
  • Total Posts : 78
RE: Dip Dogs - Tue, 03/27/07 7:40 PM
quote:
Originally posted by chicagostyledog

www.cozydogdrivein.com

One thing I can't figure out is the picture of that kid in the cowboy costume. Is that a human or a doll standing next to him in the back of the ice cream cone truck?

ROFL! thanks for the image tip...

That looks like a real human to me, a girl with straight sunshine washing away all her human flesh characteristics. What a pose! And the "History" sub-page has a great story of the dog...!

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9552
RE: Dip Dogs - Tue, 03/27/07 7:58 PM
quote:

Hope everyone is having a wonderful day... We have people from all states that come by to get one of our DIPDOGS> We have been asked by a lot of people to franchise but that just wouldn't be the same for we take pride in how everything is cooked. We have shipped DIPDOGS as well. About 2 months ago film producers came by to do a documentary on the DIPDOG Stand and it is now airing in the Sundance film festival so I am anxious to see how that turns out as well. We have also been listed in a book as one of the best restaurants around and for the second time in a row in we have been voted best restaurant, best service, best hotdogs, best hamburgers, best icecream, best fries, so this is a nice accomplishment.. I am starting to work on some ideas to do for our 50th anniversary for 50 years is a long time for a business to keep going so if any of you would like to give me some ideas that would be great. We also have been featured in Southern LIving which was exciting as well... Heres wishing everyone a wonderful day....... The DIPDOG

Congratulations Flasher! But what makes The Dip Dog different than a corn dog

RibRater
RE: Dip Dogs - Tue, 03/27/07 8:11 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Foodbme

There's no corn-meal in the batter. It's crispy with no soggy internal goop like tempura. Just a very thin flour based (imo) batter that fries up crispy and clings well to the dog.

There is nothing bready about this product.

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9552
RE: Dip Dogs - Tue, 03/27/07 9:35 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Larry - RibRater - Jay

quote:

There's no corn-meal in the batter. It's crispy with no soggy internal goop like tempura. Just a very thin flour based (imo) batter that fries up crispy and clings well to the dog.

There is nothing bready about this product.

Thank you for that explanation, But I'd still like to hear it from the Flasher since it's his recipe, assuming he's willing to share it. Yo, Flasher, are you willing to share it?v If not, will you give us neophites a clue?

snaggle
  • Total Posts : 24
RE: Dip Dogs - Wed, 03/28/07 12:12 AM
ive been there many years ago, i used to go to school in marion.. good .. but i remember it tasting like a corn dog to my teenager palette.

BR
RE: Dip Dogs - Wed, 03/28/07 12:46 AM
If there is no cornmeal in the batter and it's crispy... it must be a simple flour based batter with cornstarch in it. Similar to what is used at the New Mexico State Fair for Chile Relleno Dogs. That is a hot dog inside a chile pepper, dipped and fried to a crispy goodness.

RibRater
RE: Dip Dogs - Wed, 03/28/07 6:51 AM
quote:
Thank you for that explanation, But I'd still like to hear it from the Flasher since it's his recipe, assuming he's willing to share it. Yo, Flasher, are you willing to share it?v If not, will you give us neophites a clue?

It's been over 1 year since their last post so good luck with that secret recipe request

quote:
Originally posted by flasher40THe batter is a secret so we can't give that out. But we dont use pancake batter so don't try that one.. IT is a unique batter we have and they are made fresh daily

geishafoodie
  • Total Posts : 21
RE: Dip Dogs - Mon, 05/7/07 8:33 AM
I just visited the dip dog yesterday...loved it. My impression of the batter was a lot like funnel cake batter! Especially with the onion rings...it was so thick and fluffy. Great spoT!

flasher40
RE: Dip Dogs - Thu, 05/31/07 10:38 PM
Hello everyone. I am back and will get you up to date on the dipdog stand..

flasher40
RE: Dip Dogs - Thu, 05/31/07 10:41 PM
this year we are CELEBRATING 50 YEARS.
We are featured in the kingsport times featured by Fred Sauceman, and we are having lunch with Johnny wcyb tv5 , wjhl channel 11 with Tim Cable is coming to interview us, and we are planning a car show where the customers judge the winner june 12th, and we are having a gospel group come to play on our picnic shelter, and we have DIPDOG MUGS WE ARE SELLING ALONG WITH HAT, SHIRTS, YO YO'S AND OTHER ITEMS AS WELL.

flasher40
RE: Dip Dogs - Thu, 05/31/07 10:51 PM
Sorry I keep hitting the wrong button.
But we also have bumper stickers that says GOT DIP DOGS? and we are seeing if we can get in all 50 states we have gotten our bumper stickers back from AFRICA, and 2 are in IRAQ on Humvees, and we have quiet a few states. if you would like to have your state included then you can email me at flash105@comcast.net and ask me to send you a bumper sticker and give me your address and I will send it out to you. Remember we need a picture with the state name included with the bumper sticker.

Now on the recipe for the Dipdogs Sorry but you all are wrong on the recipe.
also it takes more steps than you think to make a dipdog so keep guessing but I can't tell the secret for then it wouldn't be the same and then other people would try to copy it and I know it wouldn't be the same product that we serve.
We do have a website that is semi done it is www.dipdogs.net and also we are manufacturing our BBQ sauce and the web site for that
is www.backyardbatch.com So now you have some interesting news and I look forward hearing from all of you and wouldnt it be nice since it is our 50th anniversary to be able to get our bumper stickers to all 50 states and back..

Come on Everyone help get those states in for us.
Thanks so much for all the kind response, it means a lot to know people enjoy our product as well as our all around service. I will try to check back more often but if you want to email us feel free to do so.
Remember the batter is a secret so I can't tell but you can keep guessing..

ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1503
RE: Dip Dogs - Thu, 05/31/07 10:58 PM
Flasher,
Do you divulge which size and brand dog you use within your secret batter?
The Bear

sauceman
  • Total Posts : 184
RE: Dip Dogs - Fri, 06/1/07 12:04 AM
We found the Halls to be charming people, in every way. They are so proud of their 50-year-old business, and justifiably so. My wife and I had a couple of Dip Dogs each, which we really enjoyed. Our interview resulted in a piece on "Inside Appalachia," produced by West Virginia Public Broadcasting, and will likely lead to a good bit more coverage as well. Long live the Dip Dog!

Fred Sauceman

flasher40
RE: Dip Dogs - Fri, 06/1/07 12:35 PM
quote:
Originally posted by ScreenBear

Flasher,
Do you divulge which size and brand dog you use within your secret batter?
The Bear

flasher40
RE: Dip Dogs - Sat, 06/23/07 12:38 PM
Just checking in to tell everyone to check out our website at www.dipdogs.net and look at all the cars we had show up for our first car cruise in.
Also we are having more events so check out the web page under upcoming events and see what is coming and come and enjoy them with us.

Fieldthistle
  • Total Posts : 1948
RE: Dip Dogs - Sat, 06/23/07 2:50 PM
Hello All,
Flasher40, I wish I had known you existed the
years I travelled back and forth from Virginia to Alabama.
You sound like a day trip for me to visit a Roadfood treasure.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle

flasher40
RE: Dip Dogs - Sun, 06/24/07 11:36 AM
Come by and see us any time. Only time we are closed is the week of July 4th. We close a week so we can rest and get ready for the rest of the summer and when everyone comes back they are refreshed and ready to go again. I wish all of you a WONDERFUL AND SAFE JLUY 4TH. PAM

Buckshot
  • Total Posts : 89
RE: Dip Dogs - Wed, 07/18/07 1:57 PM
Fixed dip dogs Sunday night at home and they were great, almost forgot how good they really are. I grew up in Morristown, Tennessee and enjoyed dip dogs at some of the drive-ins in the 60's and 70's. They are much lighter and tastier than corn dogs. I've got the dip dog batter down pat, a little trial and error is all that it took.

Buckshot

Greymo
  • Total Posts : 3663
RE: Dip Dogs - Wed, 07/18/07 2:01 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Buckshot

Fixed dip dogs Sunday night at home and they were great, almost forgot how good they really are. I grew up in Morristown, Tennessee and enjoyed dip dogs at some of the drive-ins in the 60's and 70's. They are much lighter and tastier than corn dogs. I've got the dip dog batter down pat, a little trial and error is all that it took.

Buckshot

So how about giving us your recipe?

flasher40
RE: Dip Dogs - Wed, 07/18/07 4:30 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Greymo

quote:

Buckshot

NOW IF THOSE SUPPOSING CALLED DIPDOGS WERE SO GOOD WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD YOU WANT ME TO SHARE MY RECIPE.... CAN'T DO THAT THATS A SECRET....NICE TRY.

flasher40
RE: Dip Dogs - Wed, 07/18/07 4:34 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Greymo

quote:

Buckshot

Don't think you have our recipe but keep trying and what you made were not DIPDOGS but something else and what don't know but glad you liked them anyways. come give ours a try and see the difference. you will love ours...

Buckshot
RE: Dip Dogs - Wed, 07/18/07 6:13 PM
flasher40,

Yep, what I fixed Sunday night were 'shore nuff dip dogs. Nope, they didn't come from "The Dip Dog" and was not your recipe, but as I said in my previous post, I've been enjoying dip dogs since the '60s and I know how to fix 'em.

Greymo, when the smoke clears, I'll be happy to give you the recipe.

Buckshot

BR
RE: Dip Dogs - Wed, 07/18/07 8:28 PM
Buckshot... why don't you just post your version of the dip dog recipe, if you don't mind sharing. Why must you wait for smoke to clear? It's YOUR recipe!!!

My first guess was that it had a little cornstarch in it. If that's not the case I'd say seltzer water mixed with flour. Seltzer water makes a light crispy batter.

flasher40
RE: Dip Dogs - Wed, 07/18/07 10:48 PM

Buckshot
RE: Dip Dogs - Thu, 07/19/07 9:05 AM
I fix dip dogs using whatever my wife has on hand - usually it's a pancake batter (an inexpensive pack costs about fifty cents), but onion ring batter works also. Roll the weiners in flour (makes the batter adhere), use tongs to dip the weiners in the batter, let the excess batter run off the end of the weiner and place in the "Fry Daddy". I don't use sticks, 'cause the weiner with a stick won't fit in the "Fry Daddy".

Experiment with other flour based batters (might want to consider beer as an ingredient) untill you find one that suits your taste.

Try this and enjoy your dip dogs!

Buckshot

flasher40
RE: Dip Dogs - Thu, 07/19/07 10:01 AM
sounds like you have an interesting recipe.. But sure that is not DIPDOGS but any way thanks for trying. You have a WONDERFUL DAY.

Buckshot
RE: Dip Dogs - Fri, 08/3/07 5:21 PM
Think that I'll fix dip dogs again this weekend, not to be confused with a DIPDOG which everyone knows are far superior! Guess that I'll have to settle for my "not so famous" dip dogs.

Buckshot

TheSpacePope
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Dip Dogs - Thu, 01/24/08 10:31 PM
I'll be flying over there in March so I'll be stopping in for a dipdog lunch first chance I get...see ya around noon 3/13

I don't even have to remember where it is...I just follow the cop cars out there

flasher49
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Dip Dogs - Fri, 01/25/08 8:14 PM
We will be looking forward to you coming and having a DipDog..
see you soon.

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 95