CANDY HUNT: A lifesaver 'type' candy (no hole) in Sour Cherry

Chels0
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
CANDY HUNT: A lifesaver 'type' candy (no hole) in Sour Cherry - Sun, 08/8/10 5:29 AM
Hi all -- new poster. Great to be here...I desperately need your help. lol

I'm looking for a candy I used to eat growing up -- roughly mid 70s thru mid-80s.  As a kid, I called them 'sour cherries,' though I don't know if that was the actual name or not.  They were in a roll (like a lifesaver type candy, but they had no hole in the middle), they were solid, a deep red and wrapped individually within the roll in a kind of waxy paper wrapper. 

The flavor was UNBELIEVABLE.  The only thing I'm fairly sure about -- is that the candy was made in the UK, and distributed here (U.S.) of course.  I believe they had other flavors, such as lemon and maybe an orange.  You could denote the flavor by the wrapper, I believe, the lemon candy was in a yellow and white wrapper, and the cherry was a deep red and white wrapper, and so on and so forth. 

My aunt would get them at a convenience store/sundry shop in an office building near her apt, in Downtown Detroit.  The little shop is still there, but alas the candy is not.

If anyone can help me with even the brand name of this candy, it would be appreciated.

Thanks

pamelakrest
  • Total Posts : 362
Re:CANDY HUNT: A lifesaver 'type' candy (no hole) in Sour Cherry - Sun, 08/8/10 7:45 AM
I believe they were made by Reeds, I think they also came in root beer & cinnamon too.

1bbqboy
  • Total Posts : 4542
Re:CANDY HUNT: A lifesaver 'type' candy (no hole) in Sour Cherry - Sun, 08/8/10 8:10 AM
Regal Crown. RIP along with Reeds.
 OP-ED CONTRIBUTOR; Red Gold - New York Times
<message edited by bill voss on Sun, 08/8/10 8:14 AM>

mar52
  • Total Posts : 7609
Re:CANDY HUNT: A lifesaver 'type' candy (no hole) in Sour Cherry - Sun, 08/8/10 12:42 PM
Regal Crown they were!

We loved the Sour Lemon.

Nothing like them.

TooPhat
  • Total Posts : 121
Re:CANDY HUNT: A lifesaver 'type' candy (no hole) in Sour Cherry - Mon, 08/9/10 4:29 PM
I loved the sour cherry Regal Crowns! When we were little my Mom would get them out of the vending machine at work and bring them home to us. Wish they would bring them back!