Geno's CheeseSteak pix

1bbqboy
  • Total Posts : 4542
  • Reward points : 0
Geno's CheeseSteak pix - Sun, 08/8/10 10:28 AM
That's it?

That's the source of international fame & acclaim?

<message edited by bill voss on Sun, 08/8/10 9:39 PM>

tcrouzer
  • Total Posts : 430
Re:Geno's Chesesteak pix - Sun, 08/8/10 10:30 AM
My reaction exactly.....

agnesrob
  • Total Posts : 1790
Re:Geno's Chesesteak pix - Sun, 08/8/10 11:09 AM
Ditto!

wanderingjew
  • Total Posts : 7386
Re:Geno's Chesesteak pix - Sun, 08/8/10 11:13 AM

TOURIST TRAP!!!! 

BillyB
  • Total Posts : 2851
Re:Geno's Chesesteak pix - Sun, 08/8/10 11:29 AM
Ditto, thats a sorry looking sandwich.............BillyB

chewingthefat
  • Total Posts : 6097
Re:Geno's Chesesteak pix - Sun, 08/8/10 12:14 PM
It's a joke, right?
If I served a sandwich that looked like that, I'd be out of biz in a month...Good lord what is all the fuss about a crapola Cheesesteak with VERY little steak, dead looking cheese on a roll from last month?

seocom
  • Total Posts : 66
Re:Geno's Chesesteak pix - Sun, 08/8/10 12:35 PM
My initial thought when first viewing this was, Oh, he got one plain, to show us the basic sandwich without condiments. BOY, was I surprised when I read on

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9566
Re:Geno's Chesesteak pix - Sun, 08/8/10 12:51 PM
Must have been posted by Tony Lukes, (Or maybe Steakums) to kill the Competition!

bwave
  • Total Posts : 231
Re:Geno's Chesesteak pix - Sun, 08/8/10 12:55 PM
Notice they say they put salt and pepper on it?  You have to, because NONE of the big three philly places I've visited have any FLAVOR.  All are horrible, much better cheesesteaks here in Delaware.   (been to pat's, geno's, jim's, plus a couple no name places around philly)

Plus what's with the Cheez Whiz, seriously, only Provolone belongs on a steak sub.

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9566
Re:Geno's Chesesteak pix - Sun, 08/8/10 1:09 PM
bwave

Notice they say they put salt and pepper on it?  You have to, because NONE of the big three philly places I've visited have any FLAVOR.  All are horrible, much better cheesesteaks here in Delaware.   (been to pat's, geno's, jim's, plus a couple no name places around philly)

Plus what's with the Cheez Whiz, seriously, only Provolone belongs on a steak sub.

What cave have you been living in? They've put "Wit Wiz" on their Cheesesteaks since Hoover was President!
However, I do agree Provolone is the way to go

TrentonDog
  • Total Posts : 736
Re:Geno's Chesesteak pix - Sun, 08/8/10 2:06 PM
At Geno's and Pat's you can order your steak with Whiz, American or Provolone. Just don't ask for Swiss, they'll probably throw you out of the joint! While I prefer Pat's steaks over Geno's - that photo looks like the sandwich was microwaved or something.

Lucky for me that I live in the Philly area, and there are lots of places that serve an authentic "Philly Cheese Steak", complete with razor thin shredded ribeye, Whiz (or American or Provolone) & onions on a roll from the Amoroso bakery in Philadelphia.

John Kerry ordered his cheesteak from Pats and wanted Swiss Cheese. (ugh!) Maybe he wanted some Au Jus sauce for dipping too!

leethebard
  • Total Posts : 6081
Re:Geno's Chesesteak pix - Sun, 08/8/10 2:24 PM
Simply put...looks terrible!!!!!!

Twinwillow
  • Total Posts : 4898
Re:Geno's Chesesteak pix - Sun, 08/8/10 2:45 PM
BillyB

Ditto, thats a sorry looking sandwich.............BillyB

Ditto, me too.

Twinwillow
  • Total Posts : 4898
Re:Geno's Chesesteak pix - Sun, 08/8/10 2:48 PM
TrentonDog

At Geno's and Pat's you can order your steak with Whiz, American or Provolone. Just don't ask for Swiss, they'll probably throw you out of the joint! While I prefer Pat's steaks over Geno's - that photo looks like the sandwich was microwaved or something.

Lucky for me that I live in the Philly area, and there are lots of places that serve an authentic "Philly Cheese Steak", complete with razor thin shredded ribeye, Whiz (or American or Provolone) & onions on a roll from the Amoroso bakery in Philadelphia.

John Kerry ordered his cheesteak from Pats and wanted Swiss Cheese. (ugh!) Maybe he wanted some Au Jus sauce for dipping too!

I'm surprised he didn't lean out the window of his Rolls Royce and ask for some Grey Poupon.

ynotryme
  • Total Posts : 562
Re:Geno's Chesesteak pix - Sun, 08/8/10 3:52 PM
The meat looks pretty dry to me. Tho I've had food that tastes delicious and looked terrible and food that looks great be tasteless.
<message edited by ynotryme on Sun, 08/8/10 3:57 PM>

David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2162
Re:Geno's Chesesteak pix - Sun, 08/8/10 4:06 PM
Michael Stern posted a picture of his cheese steak further down in the same review. There are also a lot of photos on the Yelp site. All seem to have more meat and onions. It appears JBarry's sandwich was shorted on both meat and onions.

I can't remember if Geno's sells extra-size portions. Pat's across the street does.

These sandwiches really look messy when you open up the paper wrapping and pry open the roll. Maybe we are so spoiled by photos of food taken by stylists that we get repulsed by images of "as-delivered" sandwiches.

chewingthefat
  • Total Posts : 6097
Re:Geno's Chesesteak pix - Sun, 08/8/10 5:25 PM
I wonder what they charge for that mess.

TrentonDog
Re:Geno's Chesesteak pix - Sun, 08/8/10 8:38 PM
Cheesteak Wiz Wit - $8.50, PA sales tax incl. (so you restaurant guys can probably charge more without guilt, just keep the Swiss off!)

I think David_NYC has a good point that sometimes food doesn't present well unless preened for the camera. Anyone see those Dominos pizza commercials urging customers to take pics of their pizzas out of the box and post them? That's pretty brave!

I'm sure that a Whopper at BK looks a helluva lot better before it gets wrapped up in paper and thrown in a bag (or heat lamp).

It really does look like that Geno's steak was re-heated or the contents were picked at before the photo was snapped. Geno's and Pat's would not be in business if they were serving up garbage. Granted, there are plenty of places serving up awesome cheesteaks in this area, but these two places have been doing it for decades and they must be doing something right!

johnlockedema
  • Total Posts : 155
Re:Geno's Chesesteak pix - Sun, 08/8/10 8:48 PM
I've had plenty of steaks at Geno's, and none of them looked like that.

wanderingjew
  • Total Posts : 7386
Re:Geno's Chesesteak pix - Sun, 08/8/10 8:53 PM
TrentonDog

Cheesteak Wiz Wit - $8.50, PA sales tax incl. (so you restaurant guys can probably charge more without guilt, just keep the Swiss off!)

I think David_NYC has a good point that sometimes food doesn't present well unless preened for the camera. Anyone see those Dominos pizza commercials urging customers to take pics of their pizzas out of the box and post them? That's pretty brave!

I'm sure that a Whopper at BK looks a helluva lot better before it gets wrapped up in paper and thrown in a bag (or heat lamp).

It really does look like that Geno's steak was re-heated or the contents were picked at before the photo was snapped. Geno's and Pat's would not be in business if they were serving up garbage. Granted, there are plenty of places serving up awesome cheesteaks in this area, but these two places have been doing it for decades and they must be doing something right!

I can't speak for Geno's since I've never gone (and do not have any intention of ever going) but Pat's Steak looked even worse- and tasted even worse than it looked. I went twice to see if the first time was an abomination and found out that it wasn't.

Sometimes places just thrive based on past reputation and little or nothing else.

TrentonDog
Re:Geno's Chesesteak pix - Sun, 08/8/10 9:01 PM
I've eaten at both Geno's and Pat's many times. Their products definitely look better than that photo! The main difference between the two is that Pat's shaves their steak thinner, and uses "real" Cheez Whiz. Geno's uses thicker slices and a generic cheese sauce that isn't as thick as Whiz, while whatever they use doesn't present itself as well as Cheez Whiz, it doesn't soak into the bun like in that picture. That's why I think it was re-heated.

I can get a Philly cheesteak locally that is as good if not better than Geno's or Pat's - it is a pretty simple formula to duplicate. As long as you don't try and get creative, you really can't screw it up. (like using the wrong cheese)

1bbqboy
  • Total Posts : 4542
Re:Geno's Chesesteak pix - Sun, 08/8/10 10:42 PM
Thick as whiz. I like that phrase. 

Conlon
  • Total Posts : 20
Re:Geno's Chesesteak pix - Mon, 08/9/10 8:22 AM
I was at Geno's on Saturday (and Pat's) and Geno's does use "real Whiz"  I saw the cans of it outside - who knew Whiz came in cans.

p.s. I liked Geno's better than Pat's

TrentonDog
Re:Geno's Chesesteak pix - Mon, 08/9/10 8:33 AM
Conlon

I was at Geno's on Saturday (and Pat's) and Geno's does use "real Whiz"  I saw the cans of it outside - who knew Whiz came in cans.

p.s. I liked Geno's better than Pat's

I stand corrected!

It always seemed that the Whiz at Geno's was a little thinner in consistency than the Whiz at Pat's. I was told by the locals that they used a different brand of cheese sauce and it made sense. Both Geno's and Pat's make a good sandwich - I prefer Pat's mainly because of the way they slice their ribeye. It's all good roadfood for sure!

kaszeta
  • Total Posts : 658
Re:Geno's Chesesteak pix - Mon, 08/9/10 9:41 AM
johnlockedema

I've had plenty of steaks at Geno's, and none of them looked like that.

I've had plenty of them at Geno's that looked like that.  Here's one the SO had a few years ago:

I've had a few good cheesesteaks there.  I've also had a lot of dry, leathery, nasty cheesesteaks there.