What's in a Banana Split?

Author
CNW
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 184
2010/08/13 02:56:46 (permalink)

What's in a Banana Split?

A few years back I was surprised to find out that not all Banana Splits were the same. I thought that they were all a Banana split with 3 scoops of Vanilla Ice Cream and topped with pineapple, chocolate, and strawberry topping. Then I find out that some places change the ice cream flavors and others change the toppings. So, What do you think is a proper Banana Split?

CNW

22 Replies Related Threads

mamaduck43
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 189
    Re:What's in a Banana Split? 2010/08/13 03:34:58 (permalink)
    I always thought that the traditional Banana Split was made with a split banana and scoops of Vanilla, Chocolate and Strawberry ice cream....  The toppings were chocolate (on the vanilla), pineapple (on the strawberry) and strawberry / cherry (on the chocolate).....  Then dollups of whipped cream were placed over all and chopped nuts and marachino cherries finished it off....  However, when Tastee Freeze and the like started up, I think that they used those toppings on three 'blurps' of vanilla...... 
    Now, I believe that it is "anything goes"..... 
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    Re:What's in a Banana Split? 2010/08/13 10:53:59 (permalink)
    mamaduck43

I always thought that the traditional Banana Split was made with a split banana and scoops of Vanilla, Chocolate and Strawberry ice cream....  The toppings were chocolate (on the vanilla), pineapple (on the strawberry) and strawberry / cherry (on the chocolate).....  Then dollups of whipped cream were placed over all and chopped nuts and marachino cherries finished it off.... 
    This.

ChiliDog
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 126
    Re:What's in a Banana Split? 2010/08/13 11:30:28 (permalink)
    My first job was at Baskin-Robbins and there you could order a split with any combination you wanted.
    However, the standard banana split (and the way it was always depicted in ads) was made with: the split banana of course, one scoop of vanilla, chocolate and strawberry ice cream with chocolate topping on the vanilla, pineapple on the strawberry and marshmallow fluff/topping on the chocolate. And it was garnished with whipped cream, chopped nuts and cherries.
    post edited by ChiliDog - 2010/08/13 11:31:30
    BelleReve
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1158
    Re:What's in a Banana Split? 2010/08/13 17:22:32 (permalink)
    I believe mamaduck43 is dead on with her description of the original - now it's probably still a spit banana, and up to the customers to choose from whatever ice cream flavors (still 3 scoops?) and toppings are available to them. 

ynotryme
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 562
    Re:What's in a Banana Split? 2010/08/13 18:11:55 (permalink)
    hot fudge on the vanilla, strawberries on the chocolate, pineapple on the strawberry, split banana, covered with whipped cream, nuts, and a cherry on each scoop was the norm in central ny while I grew up.
    Ice Cream Man
    • Total Posts : 1370
    Re:What's in a Banana Split? 2010/08/15 06:47:46 (permalink)
    At my store it's your choice, you don't even have to have the banana if you don't want to.
    24 flavours plus soft vanilla and chocolate, 15 different toppings.
    Pick 3 ice cream flavours and up  to 6 toppings add whip cream and Bobs your uncle.

I forgot you also have to give me 5 bucks.
    post edited by Ice Cream Man - 2010/08/15 06:49:41
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7829
    Re:What's in a Banana Split? 2010/08/17 13:13:18 (permalink)
    I'm an all vanilla split sort of person.

However, if I was just having a sundae a scoop of chocolate ice cream covered with crushed pineapple is my choice every time if offered.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18343
    Re:What's in a Banana Split? 2010/08/17 15:36:38 (permalink)
    I didn't often get banana splits as they cost 30 cents and a regular sundae cost just a quarter (banana royales cost 35 cents because instead of just splitting the banana they had to slice it). But I remember the splits as having chocolate, strawberry and vanilla ice cream, and hot fudge, strawberry and butterscotch toppings, along with whipped cream and maraschino cherries -- I never got nuts on my sundaes.
    russ2304
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 261
    Re:What's in a Banana Split? 2010/08/18 00:02:37 (permalink)
    enginecapt

mamaduck43

I always thought that the traditional Banana Split was made with a split banana and scoops of Vanilla, Chocolate and Strawberry ice cream....  The toppings were chocolate (on the vanilla), pineapple (on the strawberry) and strawberry / cherry (on the chocolate).....  Then dollups of whipped cream were placed over all and chopped nuts and marachino cherries finished it off.... 
    This.

YEP---------NUFF SAID-----------RUSS
    tcrouzer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 431
    Re:What's in a Banana Split? 2010/08/18 08:27:52 (permalink)
    In my area of the South, it was split banana, scoops of vanilla, chocolate, strawberry ice cream, then toppings spread over all the scoops - wet nuts, chocolate syrup, crushed pineapple sauce, the whipped cream on top of all this and a cherry on top. Don't ever remember strawberry topping or marshmallow fluff in this mix.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15210
    Re:What's in a Banana Split? 2010/08/18 12:13:41 (permalink)
    I like the places that allow you to 'create' your own combination. I acknowledge the traditional, but if I can I will do this...

Long banana boat 'dish', Split the banana in the bottom. Use 'hard ice cream, not soft serve... One scoop of English Toffee/Butter-Brickle, One Scoop of A chocolate flavor, mayber Rocky Road... and One Scoop of Peppermint Stick. Toppings would be Hot Fudge on the Peppermint Stick, Marshmallow on the Chocolate/RockyRoad, and one scoop of Carmel/Butterscotch on the English Toffee.  Now dump on the bowl of Whipped Creme and a couple of red cherries (no additional nuts please) and I will be ready to enjoy my creation.

Since this is just a fantasy description, let me have a Butterscotch Boston Shake on the side.  That's a large Butterscotch shake (made with Hard ice Cream, with a soft-serve butterscotch-topped sundae floating in it.

Yep then it will be nap-time.
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:What's in a Banana Split? 2010/08/18 12:22:01 (permalink)
    Interesting.  I've never had one.  By the time I could afford one, I didn't want one! 
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18343
    Re:What's in a Banana Split? 2010/08/18 12:31:14 (permalink)
    When I was in high school (yes, they actually had them that far back) Life Magazine ran a spread about the fad sweeping the country for huge, and I mean huge, sundaes. Shortly after the magazine came out the fad reached New Haven. One place on Whalley Avenue went with it, and began offering 15-scoop sundaes loaded with toppings for two bucks each. If you could eat one you got another one free, and if you ate all of the second one you got another.

I am proud to say that everyone on the football team got at least one free monster sundae one night, and Hubie Salisbury and I each got two free sundaes.

That was the end of the monster sundaes there.
    RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 593
    Re:What's in a Banana Split? 2010/08/18 12:58:10 (permalink)
    MaMaDuck's explanation was how I was taught when I worked for Baskin Robbins as a teenager many, MANY moons ago.  The only differences I had was we used chopped almonds and there was no whipped cream.  Baskin Robbins did not use whipped cream back then and you were taught to say chopped "almonds" instead of chopped "nuts" as almonds were more expensive.
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3987
    Re:What's in a Banana Split? 2010/08/18 14:46:22 (permalink)

What is that great looking ice cream concoction, Spade?

"That's the stuff that dreams are made of." From that great
    movie Willie Wonka and the Banana Split factory.
    DawnT
    • Total Posts : 1286
    Re:What's in a Banana Split? 2013/05/27 19:11:12 (permalink)
    Old thread, but I'll bite.

Every soda fountain in dime stores, Ice cream shops/DQ, or restaurants essentially made the same chocolate/vanilla/strawberry base with the nuts in syrup,crushed pinapple, and crushed strawberry with chocolate sauce pumped from container, whipped cream and cherry(ies). The toppings varied in placement, but pretty much the same. The container was originally either stainless or some metal or glass, but by the end of the 60's, most went to a disposable plastic.

There were a few exceptions that deviated from the original I remembered. Carvel made the "banana barge". I don't know if it's still made, but it used soft serve ice cream and the bananas were broken into quarters. They messed with they toppings and served it in a clear plastic diposable container. One thing that got a lot of folks was it cost a lot more then a typical banana split and the use of soft to serve cut cost.

The mother of all banana splits was something called a "Pig Trough" made by Marriot's Farrells parlors. This was huge enough for a few people. If one person actually finished one themselves, they would come out with a huge drum and bunch of servers and award you a pin/ribbon. I remember working on one with 3 other kids when I was in high school and we didn't finish it.

Moving into the 70's, a lot of places started to go to a huge goblet type container filled with ice cream, single topping like chocolate and whipped cream with slices of banana stuck in the sides and a cherry on top with maybe dry nuts on the cream. These varied a bit, not quite a sundae. Even IHOP got into the act on this one. IIRC, Sambo's before the Denny's takeover also made these.

CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:What's in a Banana Split? 2013/05/27 20:32:58 (permalink)
    I never had a banana split because of these scary creatures...

myterry2
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 532
    Re:What's in a Banana Split? 2013/05/31 09:23:38 (permalink)
    Again, I'm with Hoffman on what the original split should be, but I must admit, even as far back as I can remember, I always picked my own topping and ice cream....the local soda/ice cream shop always used 3 scoops, of which were vanilla, chocolate and strawberry.  I was a 3 scoop vanilla man, and I changd the topping I wanted based on what I wanted that day.
    eruby
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 648
    Re:What's in a Banana Split? 2013/05/31 14:13:30 (permalink)
    CCinNJ

I never had a banana split because of these scary creatures...

Uh oh, Chongo!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm in the camp that a banana split is a length-wise split banana with 3 scoops of any ice cream in the middle and toppings of your choice, plus whipped cream and a cherry.

Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    Re:What's in a Banana Split? 2013/05/31 16:20:40 (permalink)
    enginecapt

mamaduck43

This.

That's what I grew up eating as a banana split.
    sandrew834
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 53
    Flagged as Spam (1)
    Re:What's in a Banana Split? 2013/07/23 01:31:47 (permalink)
    A banana split is the quintessential soda fountain sundae and possibly the best craze that you can do with ice cream. A banana split starts with a perfectly ripe banana that is peeled and split lengthwise. The banana should be laid in a long, shallow dish or bowl and can then be topped with three scoops of ice cream.
    sandrew834
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 53
    Flagged as Spam (1)
    Re:What's in a Banana Split? 2013/08/06 02:33:18 (permalink)
    A banana split is an ice cream-based dessert. the classic banana split is made with scoops of vanilla, chocolate and strawberry ice cream served in a row between the split banana. But now a days there are many other flavor in banana  split. But I really liked to eat the traditional banana split.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1