Check out the Smoked Chicken

Smoke ring, check, incredibly moist, check, incredible taste, check. What's not to love?
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
Re:Check out the Smoked Chicken 2010/09/16 17:31:26
I wish I lived nearby.
2005Equinox
Cheeseburger
Re:Check out the Smoked Chicken 2010/09/24 03:51:26
Looks really good. I am not much of a sauce person but thats easily solved. And I would try the sauce anyway.
Davwud
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Check out the Smoked Chicken 2010/09/24 07:21:40
Nice

Where did you get that??

DT
MellowRoast
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Check out the Smoked Chicken 2010/09/24 08:15:39
Sauce or no sauce, whoever downed that meal was in the right place at the right time.
ScreamingChicken
Filet Mignon
Re:Check out the Smoked Chicken 2010/09/24 09:30:47
Put me down for a carryout at lunch today.

CTF, do you crisp the skin before serving?

Brad
Re:Check out the Smoked Chicken 2010/09/24 11:06:13
Brad_Olson

Put me down for a carryout at lunch today.

CTF, do you crisp the skin before serving?

Brad

Brad, not on this 1/2 bird, I do on the 4 piece, smoked fried platter.
Re:Check out the Smoked Chicken 2010/09/24 11:07:07
Davwud

Nice

Where did you get that??

DT

Out of my smoker, I sell them.
edwmax
Re:Check out the Smoked Chicken 2010/09/24 13:09:15
It's still red at the bone!   ... I wont be eating it!   3rd pic down.
Re:Check out the Smoked Chicken 2010/09/24 13:17:59
edwmax

Are you familiar with what smoking a chicken does? Sorry but it's fully cooked.
edwmax
Re:Check out the Smoked Chicken 2010/09/24 13:50:09
chewingthefat

edwmax

Yes I am!... I do it regularly  .... 10 or 20 lbs at at a time.  Smoking makes a smoke ring at the outer part of the meat.  ... The meat at the bone is still rare and the bone blood is raw!   It it was fully cooked, the meat at the bone would be a dull brown (cooked blood) and not shinny.     ... That little bit of raw is still enought to contaminate the outer fully cooked meat with raw juices.
Re:Check out the Smoked Chicken 2010/09/24 17:32:40
edwmax

chewingthefat

edwmax

Yes I am!... I do it regularly  .... 10 or 20 lbs at at a time.  Smoking makes a smoke ring at the outer part of the meat.  ... The meat at the bone is still rare and the bone blood is raw!   It it was fully cooked, the meat at the bone would be a dull brown (cooked blood) and not shinny.     ... That little bit of raw is still enought to contaminate the outer fully cooked meat with raw juices.

I cook it everyday, we cook it to 185, maybe it's the picture color off, but in 9 years, never had one sent back for any reason, customers a very picky about their chicken.
edwmax
Re:Check out the Smoked Chicken 2010/09/24 18:09:56
Sorry, that piece must not have been checked for temperature.     Just below the bright red spot is a dark brown spot which is what the cooked blood should look like.  .. Also, at the up right of the piece is a ivory colored glob of fat. The chicken fat would have already melted away at about 160/165 deg.

When I cook, I check the biggest pieces for done and check at the joint for blood.   ..Because it is hard to keep a grill or smokers at even temperature across the grate and know every piece is cooked, I usually take up the chicken at about 160 deg and put them in a 200 deg oven and hold until ready to serve. By then they will be about 185/190 deg.

I've no doubt you are a good cook,  ... but missed one.
seatown76
Cheeseburger
Re:Check out the Smoked Chicken 2010/09/26 08:01:29
I don't care it looks absolutely amazing and I would eat the heck out of that! Sometimes I feel sorry for vegetarians....LOL
nysharks
Cheeseburger
Re:Check out the Smoked Chicken 2010/09/26 10:39:09
I have to agree that picture does look a little on the undercooked side, but trying to take pictures of food and close-ups at that it definitely could be the photo.  Having tried to take some photos of fried chicken at Willie Mae's in New Orleans you wouldn't even want to touch the food even after (or maybe because of) Photoshopping it. Trying to illustrate my road trip with photos of food has really been the toughest part of my trip in the thread Jet Food.  Well that and I am getting sick and tired of blue potato chips...

chewingthefat

edwmax

chewingthefat

edwmax

I cook it everyday, we cook it to 185, maybe it's the picture color off, but in 9 years, never had one sent back for any reason, customers a very picky about their chicken.

Re:Check out the Smoked Chicken 2010/09/26 11:33:31
nysharks

I have to agree that picture does look a little on the undercooked side, but trying to take pictures of food and close-ups at that it definitely could be the photo.  Having tried to take some photos of fried chicken at Willie Mae's in New Orleans you wouldn't even want to touch the food even after (or maybe because of) Photoshopping it. Trying to illustrate my road trip with photos of food has really been the toughest part of my trip in the thread Jet Food.  Well that and I am getting sick and tired of blue potato chips...

chewingthefat

edwmax

chewingthefat

edwmax

Amen!
agnesrob
Re:Check out the Smoked Chicken 2010/09/26 11:47:31
wheregreggeats.com

I wish I lived nearby.

Ditto
Beautiful CTF!!
Re:Check out the Smoked Chicken 2010/09/27 11:41:31
agnesrob

wheregreggeats.com

I wish I lived nearby.

Ditto
Beautiful CTF!!

Thank You!
ScreamingChicken
Filet Mignon
Re:Check out the Smoked Chicken 2010/09/27 12:59:25
I had "pink chicken syndrome" happen to me a couple of weeks back.  I grilled up a batch of thighs and took them all to 180 and higher, yet one of them had a pink spot like that.

Here's a snoozer of an article on the subject.

Brad
Davwud
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Check out the Smoked Chicken 2010/09/27 14:38:28
Yawn

Wake me when it's over.

DT
Re:Check out the Smoked Chicken 2010/09/27 15:03:22
Brad, thanks, first time I've heard of this, I feel vindicated!
MellowRoast
Re:Check out the Smoked Chicken 2010/09/27 15:32:04
chewingthefat:  Just curious if you offer a generous 633-mile delivery area.
post edited by MellowRoast - 2010/09/27 15:34:53
Re:Check out the Smoked Chicken 2010/09/27 17:57:41
I would but I'm afraid the food wouldn't make it there, the driver would eat it!
MellowRoast
Re:Check out the Smoked Chicken 2010/10/03 09:51:08
You have a point.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
Re:Check out the Smoked Chicken 2010/10/03 10:05:11
I was told by the owner of a restaurant that specialized in chicken and only fresh, not frozen chicken, that a blood clot near the joint was a sign that the chicken had been frozen and then thawed before cooking. She claimed a never frozen chicken will not have this. I realize this is not what edwmax and you are discussing but you two both seem to know chicken. True or False in your opinion?
In my mind that chicken looks done but I'd give my wiggle test. If the joint wiggles easily, it's done; too much resistance, back in the smoker it would go.
Re:Check out the Smoked Chicken 2010/10/03 11:15:52
The Chicken I buy is from Costco, fresh, not frozen...unless Costco wants to tarnish an impeccable reputation, I doubt they are trying to pull a fast one.
David_NYC
Re:Check out the Smoked Chicken 2010/10/03 13:45:40
MilwFoodlovers

I was told by the owner of a restaurant that specialized in chicken and only fresh, not frozen chicken, that a blood clot near the joint was a sign that the chicken had been frozen and then thawed before cooking. She claimed a never frozen chicken will not have this. I realize this is not what edwmax and you are discussing but you two both seem to know chicken. True or False in your opinion?
In my mind that chicken looks done but I'd give my wiggle test. If the joint wiggles easily, it's done; too much resistance, back in the smoker it would go.

I now try to purchase poultry from markets that buy ice-pack chicken from meat wholesalers. While I'm not a COSTCO customer, I often see case-ready packages of chicken parts (from the usual local suspects Purdue, Mountaire, Townsends, and Allen) being unpacked and placed in the meat case of local supermarkets that is on the wrong side of the "near freezing" point. Lets just say that if I bring it home in a few minutes and unrap it, I can't stick a fork in it, it is so cold.
post edited by David_NYC - 2010/10/03 13:59:30
joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:Check out the Smoked Chicken 2010/10/03 14:34:42
I remember when Acme Markets changed from frozen to fresh chicken.  The chicken came ice packed at 30 degrees.  

Now we(employees) all went into a meeting about how to present this new line of chicken.  We were instructed to tell the customer that our chicken is fresh, not frozen.  It comes to us ice packed at 30 degrees.  But wait, isn't that below freezing?  Yes, but our chicken is not frozen, it's ice packed.  But it's ice packed below freezing?  

This went on for about an hour before they threw us out of the meeting.  If anyone asked us about the chicken, we sent them to the manager.

Note:  This was when Frank Perdue was kicking everyones butt with his commercials about frozen birds with black bones.
Re:Check out the Smoked Chicken 2010/10/04 10:59:33
Costco chicken comes in refrigerated trucks, obviously, but NOT frozen, thet sell hundreds of these rotisserie chickens every day, and hundreds , if not thousands to folks like me. As soon as I get them back here they are sliced and seasoned, ready for the smoker, there is no thawing at all.
joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:Check out the Smoked Chicken 2010/10/04 17:28:03
Hey Chewy, Not questioning you on this.  Just telling a story.  Remember this goes back about 25 years when fresh chicken was new to themass market.
Re:Check out the Smoked Chicken 2010/10/04 18:01:17
joerogo

Hey Chewy, Not questioning you on this.  Just telling a story.  Remember this goes back about 25 years when fresh chicken was new to themass market.

Joe, believe this story or not but if not for my fathers surgical skills, it might have taken longer. In the either late 40's or early 50's he had to do an emergency Appendectomy on a merchant Marine, I believe he was. The Appendix had burst, but the man survived and shortly thereafter signed out of the hospital, didn't pay anything. In the late 60's my father received a very warm letter from the man with a large check and and an explination iof why he had to take off, he explained he had done well in the Chicken business and was grateful for my father saving his life, it was signed Frank Perdue.
post edited by chewingthefat - 2010/10/04 18:03:18
jjohnson191
Junior Burger
Re:Check out the Smoked Chicken 2010/10/04 20:08:19
I don't believe it because the story isn't true.  According to Purdue's official biography he was never in the Merchant Marines.  He joined the family business at 19 when he dropped out of college.  Why you would make up a story like this I have no idea.
chewingthefat

joerogo

Joe, believe this story or not but if not for my fathers surgical skills, it might have taken longer. In the either late 40's or early 50's he had to do an emergency Appendectomy on a merchant Marine, I believe he was. The Appendix had burst, but the man survived and shortly thereafter signed out of the hospital, didn't pay anything. In the late 60's my father received a very warm letter from the man with a large check and and an explination iof why he had to take off, he explained he had done well in the Chicken business and was grateful for my father saving his life, it was signed Frank Perdue.

joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:Check out the Smoked Chicken 2010/10/04 20:19:41
jjohnson191

I don't believe it because the story isn't true.  According to Purdue's official biography he was never in the Merchant Marines.  He joined the family business at 19 when he dropped out of college.  Why you would make up a story like this I have no idea.
chewingthefat

joerogo

Hey Little Johnson, read the highlighted text.  

It takes a tough chicken to make a tender man.
jjohnson191
Junior Burger
Re:Check out the Smoked Chicken 2010/10/04 22:02:00
What don't you understand?  Perdue was never a Merchant Marine, so the story isn't true.
Re:Check out the Smoked Chicken 2010/10/05 12:26:02
joerogo

jjohnson191

chewingthefat

joerogo

Hey Little Johnson, read the highlighted text.  

It takes a tough chicken to make a tender man.

Thank you Joe!
The story is absolutely true about the emergency operation and subsequent letter with a check from Mr. Perdue. My sister still has the letter.
Re:Check out the Smoked Chicken 2010/10/05 12:28:18
jjohnson191

What don't you understand?  Perdue was never a Merchant Marine, so the story isn't true.

Nice knowing you
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Check out the Smoked Chicken 2010/10/05 13:03:08
The issue is not whether the reward (long-delayed) did or didn't happen... it is The cloudiness of whether the 'patient' was or was not a member of the Merchant Marine. Since CTF acknowledges that he BELIEVES the legend handed down in his family as described is valid, that's good enough for him.  If the fact's don't bear that part of the story out, it really doesn't detract from the reality of the delayed reward check.

Hasta La Vista One More Time, Newbie.

caver
Cheeseburger
Re:Check out the Smoked Chicken 2010/10/05 14:57:07
Isn't the freezing point of chicken around 26 deg F?  Not 30 or 32.
David_NYC
Re:Check out the Smoked Chicken 2010/10/05 16:29:53
I still remember this story when it first came out in Time:
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,983200,00.html

I never heard much about it after that, but just found this on the USDA website:
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/Meat_&_Poultry_Labeling_Terms/index.asp
=====
FRESH POULTRY:
In August, 1995 USDA/FSIS published a rule attempting to modify the definition of "fresh" to refer to poultry whose internal temperature has never been below 26 °F. That rule said poultry whose internal temperature is between 26 °F and 0 °F cannot be called "fresh" but must be called "hard-chilled" or "previously hard chilled." In January, 1996 the final rule was published in the Federal Register. However, Congress did not appropriate money for enforcing the rule. On August 8, 1996, Congress asked FSIS to revise the final rule. FSIS has now amended the poultry product inspection regulations to prohibit the use of the term "fresh" on the labeling of raw poultry products whose internal temperature has ever been below 26 °F. Also, labels of raw poultry products whose temperature has ever been below 26 °F, but above 0 °F, will not be required to bear any specific, descriptive labeling terms, including "hard chilled" or "previously hard chilled." To be in compliance with the revised rule, raw poultry products that are labeled as "fresh" but have ever had an internal temperature below 26 °F will have to have the "fresh" designation deleted or removed from labeling on the package. The final rule also sets a temperature tolerance for raw poultry products. The temperature of individual packages of raw poultry products labeled "fresh" can vary as much as 1°F below 26 °F within inspected establishments or 2 °F below 26 °F in commerce. This revised final rule appeared in the December 17, 1996, Federal Register and became effective 1 year later – December 17, 1997.
====
I note that the "chilly" chicken I referred to earlier was neither labeled 'fresh' nor 'frozen'.

post edited by David_NYC - 2010/10/05 16:52:31
senor boogie woogie
Cheeseburger
Re:Check out the Smoked Chicken 2011/03/21 08:29:59
To the OP, that is a beautiful looking outside, but I have to agree that its a bit pink inside. It's not good to not cook chicken all the way through. Chickens and cows are different critters.
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
Re:Check out the Smoked Chicken 2011/03/21 10:06:43
Stick with Guinness and you won't have this problem.  The malt will be good for ya.  Four-in-stance your eyesight gets much better-- I've even seen double, and pink elephants, and other things you can't see after eatin' chicken---with pink spots or brown blood or anything else.  Here's
lookin at you babe !!!!!