Cold Spring Inn's "Drew Burger"

ScreamingChicken
  • Total Posts : 4715
  • Reward points : 0
Cold Spring Inn's "Drew Burger" - Sat, 09/25/10 11:08 PM
"Named after our quirky chef, Andrew Davis, the infamous “Drew Burger” draws crowds from all over the state. It is the ultimate burger: ¾ of a pound of beef with all of the toppings, including 5 kinds of cheese, mushrooms, black and green olives, jalapenos, bacon, onion, lettuce, tomato and mayo.  Ask the Whitewater Warhawk football team if they’ve had one lately."

So reads the website for the Cold Spring Inn, located a few miles north of Whitewater, Wisconsin on county highway N.  I learned about it a couple of weeks ago while preparing for a visit to the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater campus, and with nothing going on today and everybody gone it was a good chance to check it out.

Like a lot of places in rural Wisconsin the CSI has kind of a "house look" but in this case I suspect the extra space might be used for banquets and not living quarters.

There's a dining room but I chose to sit at the bar.  The paddle sports the autograph of one of the Leinenkugel brothers but I couldn't tell which one.

A true Drew Burger includes lettuce, tomato, and 2 kinds of onions but I don't care for them so I ordered mine without; I guess that makes it a Modified Drew.  One of the owners (I think) came out of the kitchen and told me that ordinarily they don't accomodate special orders so I guess I'm special or something.  Probably something.

It's a messy burger.  That's a full-size plate it's resting on and it needs 2 skewers to stay together, and ccording to a couple of 20-somethings there it's considerably taller when the missing veggies are added.

And it looks good from all sides.

Medium-rare was ordered and medium-rare was delivered.

But the best part was that it's a good burger.  It would be easy to let the toppings carry the flavor load but the beef was well-seasoned and just fine on its own; while I was there a few other people at the bar (the conversation turned to "Man vs. Food" - gee, I wonder why!) ordered more sane burgers for themselves.  It comes with chips and various fried side orders are available but I wisely declined them all.

And to answer the burning question...no, I didn't finish it.  I brought half home for later and as I was boxing it one of the other patrons told me that I'd lost the challenge.  I replied that I'd lost as soon as I placed my order.

Brad
<message edited by Brad_Olson on Sat, 09/25/10 11:26 PM>

MilwFoodlovers
  • Total Posts : 3090
Re:Cold Spring Inn's "Drew Burger" - Sun, 09/26/10 9:01 AM
That's amazing.

chewingthefat
  • Total Posts : 6093
Re:Cold Spring Inn's "Drew Burger" - Sun, 09/26/10 12:05 PM
I'm on my way!

joerogo
  • Total Posts : 4463
Re:Cold Spring Inn's "Drew Burger" - Sun, 09/26/10 12:25 PM
Hey Brad,

That is a thing of beauty.  The mayo would be a deal breaker for me though.  If I ever make it there, I hope they think I'm special too

Also, excellent pics and write-up!!!
<message edited by joerogo on Sun, 09/26/10 12:27 PM>