Celina Tennessee Trip

Z66 Butch
  • Total Posts : 198
  • Reward points : 0
Celina Tennessee Trip - Thu, 09/30/10 10:05 AM

We took another trip to Tennessee and stayed 4 nights in a nice cabin near Standing Stone State Park. If you are going to the area do a search for Whitaker Cabin for a nice reasonable priced place to stay! Our daughter and her family live on down near Cookeville and for years we stayed with them, now they are so busy and have their kids and grandkids in and out it is just easier to rent a place and visit them when they are home.

Max our Dachshund got away from us at the cabin and took off down a steep ravine. He will not come back when called and loves to explore but we were so worried that he would be lost or something would get him out there in the "wild" that we made up "lost dog" notices and passed out a few to neighbors and businesses in the area. Sure enough about 9 hours later we got a call saying "we have Max". Some great local people found him and kept him up until we got over to get him. Max was so wore out that he could hardly get up and down the steps at the cabin! He slept for the rest of the stay but is back to normal now and we are thankful to still have him.

Of course when we travel we look for good road food and we have a place that we love in that area. It is Doris's Diner in Celina, Tennessee. We have been stopping there for years for breakfast and always got great food and service. The thing that bothered us was the smoking, it is a small place and it seems that nearly everyone in there smoked. As we got older it bothered us more and more. Well I am happy to say that Doris's has gone NON SMOKING so now I can recommend it. It is located just one block off of the main highway that goes to the Dale Hollow dam and fish hatchery, at the flasher by the hospital. Just turn towards town and look for it on your right. Doris's is a small local place and seems to be the favorite in the area so it can get busy.

We ate breakfast there every day on this trip and I tried several things. They have great pancakes, the bacon is thick and very good. I find a lot of the time when the bacon is thick it is also very smoky and I do not like it that way, this is just like any good bacon but thick. The bisquets and gravy are good but it is more of a cream gravy, not sausage gravy. They also have Chocolate gravy, we tried it but were not to fond of it. They have a Hash brown Delight that is good, you can get it with bacon or sausage in it. Of course the grits are great. One day we also stopped for lunch and I had one of the best double cheeseburgers that I have ever had!  So if you ever get down around Celina Tennessee check out Doris's Diner and if you need a place to stay check out Whitaker Cabin, I can recommend them both.

Nancypalooza
  • Total Posts : 3778
Re:Celina Tennessee Trip - Thu, 09/30/10 10:10 AM
I'm so glad somebody called with your pup!  That's a nice story--sounds like a great area to visit.

buffetbuster
  • Total Posts : 9774
Re:Celina Tennessee Trip - Thu, 09/30/10 10:28 AM
Z66 Butch-
Thanks for the nice trip report and so glad that Max is back where he belongs.  I have only had chocolate gravy once before and really liked it.  Are you not fond of chocolate gravy in general or just at Doris's Diner?  It does sound like a really good place!

Z66 Butch
  • Total Posts : 198
Re:Celina Tennessee Trip - Thu, 09/30/10 11:02 AM
It was the first time that any of us had tried it. We just ordered one biscuit with the choc gravy and all tried it. There was nothing wrong with it, it just seamed like warm pudding over the biscuit, maybe with a touch of cinnamon. Is that the way it usually is?

JDAStonewall
  • Total Posts : 52
Re:Celina Tennessee Trip - Thu, 09/30/10 4:34 PM
Z66 Butch- I have not been to this part of Tennessee in a few years but next time I am I will definitely have to check out Doris's Diner.

Buffetbuster- This is the first time I have ever heard of chocolate gravy. Where are some places you have found it to be quite good? 

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9526
Re:Celina Tennessee Trip - Thu, 09/30/10 4:46 PM
TN has a great State Park system. My Daughter & family live in Franklin TN. They have a 42' 5th wheeler and go "Camping" in them all the time. I have a hard time thinking you're going "Camping" when  you have a king size bed, flat screen TV's microwave and indoor plumbing!

MellowRoast
  • Total Posts : 1928
Re:Celina Tennessee Trip - Fri, 10/1/10 3:49 PM
Z66 Butch:  No telling what recipe they used, but I wouldn't describe chocolate gravy as a "warm pudding." As with anything, there are a zillion recipes for it.  Here are 2 that I recommend.  The first one is from a friend who served it at a cafeteria in a Coca-Cola bottling plant:

Gaynell’s Chocolate Gravy
1 cup sugar
2 T. cocoa
2 T. flour
Mix well.  Add 1 1/2 cups of water.  Cook on low heat until thick.  Pour over hot buttered biscuits.

Saveur’s Chocolate Gravy
8 tbsp. unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
1⁄2 cup cocoa powder
1⁄4 cup flour
2 cups milk
1⁄2 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Melt the butter in a 2-qt. -saucepan over medium-high heat. Whisk together the sugar, cocoa, and flour in a bowl; add to the melted butter; whisk. Slowly add milk, whisking constantly, until smooth.  2. Bring to a simmer; cook until thick, 2–3 minutes. Whisk in vanilla.  Makes about 3 cups.

DirtDude
  • Total Posts : 161
Re:Celina Tennessee Trip - Fri, 10/1/10 7:26 PM
I'm glad someone else can appreciate some good thick bacon.