USA Today lists "best burger joints in everystate"

Cheeseburger
2010/10/01 15:57:06
Today's USA Today has a three page spread listing the best hamburger in each state. A few places I've heard of, many I've never heard off and even one I've eaten at; Tom Wahls in Avon, New York. Very good but I don't think it's the best in New York.
 The paper should be on newsstands all weekend.
JDAStonewall
Hamburger
Re:USA Today lists "best burger joints in everystate" 2010/10/01 16:11:18
mbrookes
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:USA Today lists "best burger joints in everystate" 2010/10/01 16:39:25
The Blow Fly Inn (listed as best in MS ) doesn't even make a hamburger. That's a ground beef Po'boy. Not the same thing and not nearly the best in the state.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:USA Today lists "best burger joints in everystate" 2010/10/01 16:44:44
Sorry to say, I never heard of any of them.
MellowRoast
Re:USA Today lists "best burger joints in everystate" 2010/10/01 17:20:09
I'm not familiar with any of them, either.
JDAStonewall
Hamburger
Re:USA Today lists "best burger joints in everystate" 2010/10/01 17:28:40
I wonder if they were trying to find places other than the "usual suspects"?
ayersian
Double Cheeseburger
Re:USA Today lists "best burger joints in everystate" 2010/10/01 19:46:46
JDAStonewall
I wonder if they were trying to find places other than the "usual suspects"?

Probably so.  I think even Michael Stern would admit to trying to "spread the love" when compiling lists like this.  Most choices are pretty one-sided, since many of the voters pick places close to or in their hometowns.  And others are ridiculous, e.g. like ANY place could beat Bobcat Bite in New Mexico!  But that's just my opinion, and there's no accounting for taste!    Chris
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:USA Today lists "best burger joints in everystate" 2010/10/01 19:56:51
Minnesota featured the three juicy lucy burger joints that get the most publicity and accurately named the one (IMHO) The Nook as the best of the three. However, by no stretch are they the best burgers in the state, just the best known and most unique to the area. Yes, all three have gotten plenty of mention here in Roadfood.com and all the food channel shows.

It seems all they did was solicit an opinion in each state from one local person with a food connection in the media. Call it a representative sampling, but not necessarily the best.
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
Re:USA Today lists "best burger joints in everystate" 2010/10/01 21:40:02
thanks ! I'm very excited about the article....!!
love my burgers !!!!

and thanks for the link !  I try and glance at the weekend edition of USA Today, but
had'nt done so yet... ..... so glad I did'nt miss out on this !!!
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
Re:USA Today lists "best burger joints in everystate" 2010/10/01 21:48:30
p.s. Just clicked online for the article..
I am in STRONG disagreement about their choice for ROGUE STATES in Wash DC as best burger, since I hated the place !!
burger was nothing special.... and on top of that, I ordered it medium , it came out blood rare....  I sent it back, it came out rare...

boring prep. method.... plain ....
the stafff was nice , though..
nysharks
Cheeseburger
Re:USA Today lists "best burger joints in everystate" 2010/10/02 00:58:23
Like many others, I was surprised to see the lack of some very popular names on the list.  No Shake Shack nor Peter Luger's in New York, Mr. Bartley's Burger Cottage in MA, nor Bobcat Bite in NM on the list.  The only ones that I have been to that are on the list are Stanley's in RI and Ted's in CT.

Ted's is very good and would highly recommend them.  Stanley's was good but I have had better.  Would I say that either one was the best in the state?  Not sure as I haven't been to a lot of other places in those states, but I could see Ted's being up there.
saps
Re:USA Today lists "best burger joints in everystate" 2010/10/02 01:10:03
 It's just a list, and these lists are fun and good for debate.  This list doesn't even tout itself as a "best of".

I like the burgers at the Nook, but not the Jucy Lucys- I think that their regular burger, medium-rare, is pretty damn good.
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
Re:USA Today lists "best burger joints in everystate" 2010/10/02 07:46:38
If you think of it as 51 Burgers Recommended by Food Writers, it's pretty useful.

I even see that the NJ entry is White Manna, recommended by Jane & Michael Stern!
DirtDude
Cheeseburger
Re:USA Today lists "best burger joints in everystate" 2010/10/02 09:17:58
I have been to Tolly Ho in Lexington, KY, and it sucks. People go there because the are open late after the bars close, but the burger is on par with McDonalds.
kland01s
Filet Mignon
Re:USA Today lists "best burger joints in everystate" 2010/10/02 10:44:09
Kuma's Corner in Chicago is not so much about the burgers but the crazy toppings. Notice there is no plain burger on the menu. This is a place that's all about the hype, it's been on several TV shows.

http://www.kumascorner.com/food
ynotryme
Double Cheeseburger
Re:USA Today lists "best burger joints in everystate" 2010/10/02 13:14:01
texas has fred's cafe listed and it routinely is listed in the local papers as the best
californyguy
Double Cheeseburger
Re:USA Today lists "best burger joints in everystate" 2010/10/02 13:52:37
one of the best I have ever had comes from pals cabin in west orange new jersey- a burger and a bowl of the famous cream of mushroom ...mmmm good!!
nysharks
Cheeseburger
Re:USA Today lists "best burger joints in everystate" 2010/10/06 00:27:37
Just went to Kuma's Corner and order the YOB.  While it wasn't the best hamburger ever, it was still a very good meal.  The YOB has roasted red peppers, smoked gouda, and roasted garlic mayo.  It was also topped with lettuce, red onions, and a tomato.  The hamburger was very good, a nice big fat burger in which you could taste the meat.  The toppings were nice but I don't think the smoked gouda added too much and I usually like smoked gouda.  But really the best part is the pretzel bun, it adds a different texture and taste.  The texture is a bit more chewy but the bun is able to absorb the meat drippings without falling apart.

I was also impressed by the waffle fries, best I have had in quite some time.  But then again I can't remember the last time I had home-made waffle fries.

Overall the hamburger was very good and I would go back.  The atmosphere of heavy metal rock bar is pretty interesting and added to the fun of the place though it is tough to have an extended conversion there.  I wouldn't say it was really over rated but I wouldn't declare it the best ever.

kland01s

Kuma's Corner in Chicago is not so much about the burgers but the crazy toppings. Notice there is no plain burger on the menu. This is a place that's all about the hype, it's been on several TV shows.

http://www.kumascorner.com/food

post edited by nysharks - 2010/10/06 00:28:38
Davwud
Double Cheeseburger
Re:USA Today lists "best burger joints in everystate" 2010/10/06 11:05:56
Thanks for posting.

I'll have to get to some of these places while I'm on the road.
My favourite so far has been Krazy Jim's Blimpy Burger in Ann Arbor.
http://tinyurl.com/374kph5
I'm interested to see what the Cottage Bar and Restaurant burger is like.

DT
i95
Re:USA Today lists "best burger joints in everystate" 2010/10/07 15:56:08
ellen4641

...ROGUE STATES in Wash DC...

Speak of the Devil:

wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
Re:USA Today lists "best burger joints in everystate" 2010/10/07 16:33:38
From the very few I'm familiar with, I'd say I could do a better list.  Did it say how they came upon these?
Curbside Grill
Filet Mignon
Re:USA Today lists "best burger joints in everystate" 2010/10/19 03:59:17
There are better burgers in TN than what is listed. Smaller  joints that paddie them in front of you and made to order. Ardmore , TN has two that I would put up against anything anywhere. granted they are bars but the food that comes out of the kitchen is great. Great Cheese Factory also in Ardmore.
MellowRoast
Re:USA Today lists "best burger joints in everystate" 2010/10/19 06:30:46
Curbside Grill has a point.  I haven't been to Ardmore, but I'm amazed at some of the GREAT burgers coming out of hole-in-the-wall joints in Tennessee.  I look askance at the ten-buck burgers at Burger-Up in Nashville, and roll my eyes at the Convention & Visitors Bureau rep who suggested them.

post edited by MellowRoast - 2010/10/19 07:59:14
ken8038
Re:USA Today lists "best burger joints in everystate" 2010/10/19 09:23:23
In the states surrounding me, I wouldn't argue with White Manna as the best in NJ, and although I didn't love Ted's burger in CT, I can understand the appeal.

We just ate at Stanley's in RI when we were up that way for a wedding last month. Universally voted Best Burger of 2010 by myself and my family. And that doesn't even take into account their poutine!

http://www.stanleyshamburgers.com/Home/index.html

I never heard of the place in PA, but it sounds gimmicky.
post edited by ken8038 - 2010/10/19 09:25:51
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
Re:USA Today lists "best burger joints in everystate" 2010/10/19 10:35:07
I noticed that these are all recs made by some supposedly knowledgeable in state person. In our case in Oregon I doubt the writer for Portland Monthly has ever been south of Salem, as he picked 
another of Portland's recreations of real regional places, Country Cat.
 The Country Cat | Home
Curbside Grill
Filet Mignon
Re:USA Today lists "best burger joints in everystate" 2010/10/19 18:58:12
Mr Voss have you been to Bend lately. It has been 16 plus years for me but Jake's Diner use to put out the biggest and baddest burger in that area. Awhole plate for the burger and a Platter , yes Platter for the Fries.
The Pancakes where at least 14" in Diameter.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
Re:USA Today lists "best burger joints in everystate" 2010/10/19 19:21:20
Hey CG, I haven't been there, but you have me intrigued.
HollyDolly
Re:USA Today lists "best burger joints in everystate" 2010/11/01 12:41:21
They didn't list Bracken Cafe in Bracken,Texas northeast of San Antonio,nor Bunsen Burgers and Chris madrid's in San Antonio.never been to Chris Madrid's but I have been to the other two places. They didn't list any in Houston or elsewhere.