Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Sirloin
2010/10/08 14:11:20
Many members here have professeed a love for the grilled cheese sandwich. Today, Yahoo posted this article on how to grill the perfect sandwich, including finishing in a hot oven, if necessary...Never had problems getting the cheese to melt...I do like some of the variations at the end of the article.
http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/food/5-tips-for-the-ultimate-grilled-cheese-2394160/

What do you think?
ScreamingChicken
Filet Mignon
Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich 2010/10/08 14:31:44
How can it be grilled cheese if it's cooked in a pan?

I agree with using sturdy bread.  A sandwich made with soft white bread doesn't cut it with me.

Somewhere around here is an old thread about how a grilled cheese sandwich ceases being such when other items are added, like "The Tuscan" mentioned in the story.  Adding prosciutto basically makes it an upscale grilled ham-and-cheese.

Brad
post edited by Brad_Olson - 2010/10/08 14:34:08
Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich 2010/10/08 14:32:53
I think my grilled cheese gets about 6 slices of bacon broken to size, inside of the bread, grilled in garlic butter.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich 2010/10/08 14:37:33
Like the idea of using the oven to make multiple sandwiches at one time.
Here's my "Tip of the Day":
Don't spread butter on the bread. Add the butter to the pan and melt it THEN add a slice of bread and swoosh it around to evenly coat the bread. Add the cheese(s). When the slice is toasted , remove it from the pan, add another slice of bread on top, add more butter to the pan if needed. Flip and put the untoasted side down and put it back in the pan. Cover with a lid to aid the cheese melting. And most important, NEVER use Margarine! 
post edited by Foodbme - 2010/10/08 14:52:09
ALLGOOD
Cheeseburger
Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich 2010/10/08 14:42:08
A little mayo on the inside makes it tangy.

Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich 2010/10/08 14:55:15
Brad_Olson

Brad

Because Panned Cheese just doesn't sound right!

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich 2010/10/08 15:01:30
I wsa probably 40 years old the first time I ever heard a toasted cheese sandwich called a grilled cheese sandwich.
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich 2010/10/08 15:17:17
I too love a wide variety of variations.....and I disagree, a grilled cheese sandwich can have lot's of other things added to the cheese....I like a grilled ham and swiss on rye...I also like a grilled cheddar and montery jack with a little salsa in it.
MellowRoast
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich 2010/10/08 15:42:11
How can one manage to pry open a grilled, melted-cheese sandwich at the end to insert anything
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich 2010/10/08 15:42:17
Michael Hoffman

I wsa probably 40 years old the first time I ever heard a toasted cheese sandwich called a grilled cheese sandwich.

You obviously have lead a sheltered life!
Rusty246
Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich 2010/10/08 16:03:31
ALLGOOD

I thought there was only ONE person in the world that ate their grilled cheese with mayo, my BF. The first time I made them for him I ended up with butter all over my hand spreading the mayo on the inside of the bread. I will start melting the butter in the pan first.  I tried it once, wasn't so bad but I prefer mine the "boring" way.
ALLGOOD
Cheeseburger
Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich 2010/10/08 16:08:52
Actually, I put the mayo on right when I put the cheese in it, before I put butter on the outside of the bread.  If you cook it at a high enough temperature it ends up fine that way and the mayo doesn't soak into the bread.
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich 2010/10/08 16:18:32
I've heard of people putting mayo on the outside,instead of butter. Does that work????
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich 2010/10/08 17:07:05
Foodbme

Michael Hoffman

What makes you say that?
MellowRoast
Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich 2010/10/08 17:27:16
Not only do I enjoy the "toothsome country-style" bread to which the author refers, but I also love those wonderful Waffle House grilled cheese sandwiches made with lowly supermarket white bread!
Holly Moore
Cheeseburger
Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich 2010/10/08 18:12:11
The more aged the cheddar the better the sandwich. My favorite addition, in season Jersey tomatoes.

My father used a waffle iron - not Belgian, but small grids. So do I.  A great grilled cheese sandwich - and the cheese that drips off onto the iron gets all crispy and toasty.  Great nibbling along with the sandwich.

Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich 2010/10/08 18:17:03
Michael Hoffman

Cheese wasn't around when you were 39!
Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich 2010/10/08 18:19:14
MellowRoast

How can one manage to pry open a grilled, melted-cheese sandwich at the end to insert anything

In my case, the bacon goes on before grilling.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich 2010/10/08 22:26:25
chewingthefat

Michael Hoffman

Cheese wasn't around when you were 39!

I know you didn't really miss the point. I knew them -- and still know them -- as toasted cheese sandwiches. That's because what you are doing when making one is toasting the bread on a flat grill or in a skillet, not grilling the bread. Unless, of course, you use an actual grill, and I doubt many people use grills to make such sandwiches -- although I'd bet that the coals would impart a delightful added flavor.
post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2010/10/08 22:27:44
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich 2010/10/08 23:59:41
Foodbme

Brad_Olson

Brad

Because Panned Cheese just doesn't sound right!

Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich 2010/10/09 00:02:32
Michael Hoffman

In England, it's always a "toasted cheese" sandwich.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich 2010/10/09 10:59:34
Twinwillow

Michael Hoffman

In England, it's always a "toasted cheese" sandwich.

That's interesting. Those limeys finally got something right.

fishtaco
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich 2010/10/09 11:46:47
leethebard

I've heard of people putting mayo on the outside,instead of butter. Does that work????

Have done that a few times, works pretty good and nice for a change evey now and then.
I like a wide varity of "grilled chesse" also, but the classic remains the best. White bread and
Velveeta, it's just that gooey factor I guess.

Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich 2010/10/09 12:16:26
A Pannini grill  does a good job on GCS.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich 2010/10/09 12:45:18
Seriously, the very best thing about making a grilled (or toasted) cheese sandwich is, regardless of whether it's made on a flat top or a pan, IT ONLY TAKES 5 MINUTES!!!
MellowRoast
Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich 2010/10/09 14:52:59
Chewingthefat & Twinwillow:  You got that right.  With all this discussion, I prepared two of them this morning in a sandwich press.  And I've learned they're darn good using English muffins, too.
post edited by MellowRoast - 2010/10/09 14:55:54
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich 2010/10/09 16:22:31
MellowRoast

Chewingthefat & Twinwillow:  You got that right.  With all this discussion, I prepared two of them this morning in a sandwich press.  And I've learned they're darn good using English muffins, too.

Mmm, the English muffin thing sounds, great! Gotta try it.
MellowRoast
Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich 2010/10/09 17:14:10
By the way, I make sure the inside of the muffin is grilled/toasted first before I put the whole thing together.  Provides me an extra-crunchy texture. 
Wintem01
Cheeseburger
Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich 2010/10/09 18:20:44
Brad_Olson

I agree with using sturdy bread.  A sandwich made with soft white bread doesn't cut it with me.

Somewhere around here is an old thread about how a grilled cheese sandwich ceases being such when other items are added, like "The Tuscan" mentioned in the story.  Adding prosciutto basically makes it an upscale grilled ham-and-cheese.

Brad

Are you kidding?!?!Who makes a griiled cheese on an actual grill? Let the abuse begin.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich 2010/10/09 18:57:36
If I'm correct, the term "grilling" actually refers to cooking on a flat top. Like in a diner.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich 2010/10/09 21:15:49
Twinwillow

If I'm correct, the term "grilling" actually refers to cooking on a flat top. Like in a diner.

It probably can debated many ways.  I was curious myself.  Read the defination and decide for yourself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grilling

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich 2010/10/09 21:25:31
Brad_Olson

Brad

In Pittston.....Them is fightin words
sk bob
Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich 2010/10/09 22:36:34
Foodbme

Michael Hoffman

sorry foodbme,thats what it used to be called in the 50's 60's & into the 70's
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich 2010/10/09 22:54:03
sk bob

Foodbme

Michael Hoffman

sorry foodbme,thats what it used to be called in the 50's 60's & into the 70's

I was on the Planet and eating GRILLED Cheese sandwiches in the 50's, 60's & 70's and we always called them GRILLED Cheese.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich 2010/10/09 22:58:09
Wintem01

Brad_Olson

Brad

Are you kidding?!?!Who makes a griiled cheese on an actual grill? Let the abuse begin.

Flattops in restaurants are referred to as grills. They're not talking about BBQ Grills.
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich 2010/10/09 22:58:16
In 60+ years, I've never heard of a roasted cheese sandwich!!
FriedClamFanatic
Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich 2010/10/10 00:57:59
In the UK they have "toasted cheese".........open faced usually, undera broiler.........but roasted.................i suppose it could work at 450degrees+......think Pizza.......but..................who knowswhat it'll taste like?  (Iwill next week just to find out!.........LOL)

MellowRoast
Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich 2010/10/10 07:50:08
Well, now I've seen everything...[video]
http://www.vat19.com/dvds/toastit-toaster-bags.cfm
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich 2010/10/10 08:51:06
I misspoke, of course I meant I never heard of a "toasted" grilled cheese.
BillyB
Filet Mignon
Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich 2010/10/10 11:54:31
I started using shredded cheddar and shredded Jack cheese for grilled cheese. Butter one side of two slices of bread and lay both slices in a pan. Put Shredded Cheddar on half of bread and shredded jack on the other half, you may have to rotate the bread 180 degrees half way through, the center of the pan heats/toasts the bread faster. When the bottom of the bread is toasted and both cheeses are melted put one top on the other to make the sandwich. .... BillyB
claracamille
Cheeseburger
Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich 2010/10/10 13:32:08
ALLGOOD

I always put mayo on the inside.  I also melt a pat of butter in the pan & place the sandwich on the butter & cook on med/low to both crisp the bread & melth the cheese.  Although, I know that cheddar, swiss, etc make a good grilled cheese, in our house grilled cheese sandwichs are always made with Velveeta.
ScreamingChicken
Filet Mignon
Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich 2010/10/11 09:54:52
Foodbme

Flattops in restaurants are referred to as grills. They're not talking about BBQ Grills.

Although it can be done:

Corned beef and Swiss grilled on a Weber Smokey Joe.

The different varieties of George Foreman grills do a nice job, too.

Brad
BillyB
Filet Mignon
Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich 2010/10/11 10:21:24
I think in the South they call that the "Holy Grail"
MellowRoast
Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich 2010/10/11 10:34:28
What an amazing-looking sandwich.  I'd love to buy one of those at whatever price!
post edited by MellowRoast - 2010/10/11 10:41:35
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich 2010/10/11 11:32:20
I'd travel at least 50 miles out of my way to get a great grilled cheese sandwich. How about some places where any of you grilled cheese lovers have had a memorable one?

A year or so ago we stumbled on a small lunch room in Stone Ridge , NY (sorry can't dig out the name) where I had an outstanding gilled cheese - sourdough bread and aged cheddar. We went back a while ago and I ordered the same meal  - it came out of the kitchen with  ordinary bread and that awful orange cheddar thats seems to be a specialty of Wisconsin.

Some days we just get lucky... and some days,not...

Cheers, John  
post edited by seafarer john - 2010/10/11 11:35:41
mudbug
Cheeseburger
Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich 2010/10/11 11:55:07
Here's a suggestion: Assemble your fave grilled cheese sandwich.Grill it on your waffle iron (not the Belgian variety).Notice the increased surface area crunch.As an added plus, eat the "cheese freaky" that oozes onto the grill.Yum
stricken_detective
Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich 2010/10/11 19:35:28
My mother's kitchen! Muenster cheese makes the best grilled cheese sandwiches. What type of bread is not important although I do enjoy swiss rye. The best part was always cooking it with canine supervision, for he knew the last bite was going to be his.
ammad123
Junior Burger
Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich 2011/01/07 17:12:12
Its true grilled cheese sandwich is awesome
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich 2011/01/07 17:32:07
Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sandwich
 1/4 cup dry white wine
5 tablespoons butter, room temperature, divided use
 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
8 slices sourdough bread (or other crusty white bread of choice)
8 ounces Gruyere, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon mayonnaise

Heat wine in a large skillet over medium heat.

When almost all liquid has evaporated, add 2 tablespoons butter, mustard and pepper.
Stir to incorporate and transfer to a small bowl. Save the skillet to cook the sandwiches.

Brush a little of the seasoned butter on the top of each slice of bread.
Top half the seasoned side of the bread slices with the cheese.
Place the remaining bread, seasoned side facing the cheese, on top of the cheese.
Combine remaining 3 tablespoons butter with 1 tablespoon mayonnaise. Spread 1/8 of this mixture on top of each sandwich.

Reheat the skillet over medium heat. When hot, place the buttered side of the sandwich on the skillet. Spread remaining butter on top of the sandwiches. Cover and cook for 3 minutes.
Remove cover and cook until sandwiches are nicely browned on the bottom, about 3 minutes longer.
Turn the sandwiches over.
Reduce heat to low and cook uncovered until the bottom is golden brown, about 4-5 minutes.

post edited by Foodbme - 2011/01/07 17:36:58
dimmie2
Cheeseburger
Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich 2011/01/07 18:54:16
I'll have to try some of these.  I always make my grilled cheese sandwiches on a George Foreman.  Easy and not much to clean up.
Davwud
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich 2011/01/07 20:22:05
A few rules in my mind.

First of all, "The Classic" is white bread, American cheese.

Secondly, anything other than cheese and bread is NOT a grilled cheese. It's a grilled cheese and ____ sandwich.

Other than that, a good sandwich is always welcome.

Chicken, nice job. I bet that tasted awesome.

DT
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich 2011/01/08 04:18:06
My Mother made awesome toasted cheese sandwiches( like Mr.Hoffman, thats what I grew uo with)She used colby cheese with a smear of yellow mustard.I loved the way the cheese stretched when I took each bite.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich 2011/01/08 11:33:11
Yay annpeeples. She knows what they are.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich 2011/04/05 04:22:41
NOW this sounds like the ULTIMATE Grilled Cheese  Sandwich!
From Bon Appetit and Epicurious:
Grilled Cheese and Fried Egg Sandwiches
Yield: Makes 4
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes

12 slices pancetta (Italian bacon)
2 tablespoons butter
4 slices sourdough bread
8 thin slices provolone cheese
4 large eggs
1 small green onion, chopped
Parmesan cheese shavings
12 fresh basil leaves or arugula leaves

Cook pancetta in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until crisp. Transfer to paper towels. Reserve skillet with drippings.
Melt butter in extra-large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 4 bread slices; top each with 2 provolone slices. Sprinkle with black pepper. Cook until cheese melts, 3 to 4 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat skillet with drippings over medium heat. Crack eggs into skillet; cook until whites are set but yolks are still runny, 2 to 3 minutes. Set 6 pancetta slices and 2 eggs atop each of 2 cheese toasts. Top eggs with onion, Parmesan, and basil, then remaining bread slices, cheese side down. Cut sandwiches in half and serve.

doggydaddy
Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich 2011/04/05 08:55:18

First off, I cook pancakes, bacon and more on a griddle.  If I did it on a grill, the batter would  ooze through the bars.  A proper steak is cooked over a grill with the flames actually creating grill marks.  A steak on a griddle is just plain wrong. It seems that some have used the terms toasted along with grilled when the real name should be 'griddled cheese sandwich' .  In 20 years, we will be calling them 'Cheese Melts' and then will be discussing the terms of toasted, grilled or griddled.
We all can hope that Mr. Hoffmann makes it that long
  That said, here is my ultimate grilled cheese.  Three slices of Texas Toast, tomatoes, bacon and of course, cheese cooked on a griddle.

Money shot.....

mark
post edited by doggydaddy - 2011/04/05 09:02:13
MellowRoast
Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich 2011/04/05 10:48:44
Awesome-looking sandwich.  Outstanding.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich 2011/04/05 15:24:09
MellowRoast

What an amazing-looking sandwich.  I'd love to buy one of those at whatever price!

If you're talking about the grate, they're not expensive. You can get them at most Lowes or Home Depot. They're great for grilling Veggies or fish too. Some have non-stick surfaces or porclein
post edited by Foodbme - 2011/04/05 15:25:14
MellowRoast
Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich 2011/04/06 13:19:28
I was talking about the sandwich, but heck, I may have to go for the grate, too!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich 2011/04/06 13:44:11
MellowRoast

I was talking about the sandwich, but heck, I may have to go for the grate, too!

Can't make the sandwich that way without the grate. Go for it!
cavandre
Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich 2011/04/07 08:00:44
Foodbme

MellowRoast

Can't make the sandwich that way without the grate. Go for it!

We have a grate like that & it also works great on shrimp.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2