Helpful ReplyWhere Did Everyone Go?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 7
Author
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3751
Re:Where Did Everyone Go? 2010/10/20 18:51:12 (permalink)
" />" />" />
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5504
Re:Where Did Everyone Go? 2010/10/20 19:24:45 (permalink)
Not to change the subject but..

I remembered what that little green arrow is good for. And I bet some long time posters here have never even noticed it. Ok, lets say you just made a post and next want to refresh the "todays posts" option. After you make your post you are taken to the bottom of the thread where your post is. Now just hit that arrow and it zooms you way up to the top of the page. Now you can refresh todays posts and see what's new. This helps w/ that cournel tunnel stuff also.

Will this keep folks around more? Hmmm maybe?
Joe
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4644
Re:Where Did Everyone Go? 2010/10/20 19:26:39 (permalink)
joe, the software is not the problem, the posters are the problem.
It won't ever be like it was. 
Besides, I hate hot dogs.
i95
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
Re:Where Did Everyone Go? 2010/10/20 20:45:32 (permalink)
boyardee65

I think that most of the site has been taken over by "doggers"...

Speaking of as much, Nancypalooza, where to eat in Puttenham?

(Sorry. )

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18859
Re:Where Did Everyone Go? 2010/10/20 21:19:56 (permalink)
Now where to eat in Puttenham is certainly quite clear.
   The trouble is the cost of food will turn out to be dear.
There is a way to minimize what Puttenhamians charge,
   But that just means your portions, sir, will be lots less than large.
However mate the thing to know is that the food is bad, 
 And anything you have to pay, you'll know that you've been had.
So I suggest my highway friend that packing is the way,
 Because a foil-wrapped tuna melt can't help but save your day.

i95
Re:Where Did Everyone Go? 2010/10/21 07:37:39 (permalink)

TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4609
Re:Where Did Everyone Go? 2010/10/21 11:33:44 (permalink)
rjb
I also find posts by restaurant owners of photos touting their latest blue plate special tedious and a little off-putting -- seems like thinly disguised advertising.

Agreed

That said, no site is perfect - like a marriage, you take the good (as you see it) with the bad (as you see it)

However -- plenty of folks like seeing those posts, if you read the comments that follow.  So even though you and I (and likely others) don't like seeing such posts (particularly with such great frequency from one such poster), we need to accept that for others, these are enjoyable posts, and simply try to ignore them.....and simply focus on the parts we do come here for, like trip reports and reviews

I know I can remove certain forums from coming up when I look at the site - I already have the hot doggers forums blocked, for example - but I wonder if i can block all threads started by a given member?

1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
Re:Where Did Everyone Go? 2010/10/21 11:41:03 (permalink)
Since I'm nowhere near CTF, I don't mind his threads. A good way to see how food culture differs around the country.
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6186
Re:Where Did Everyone Go? 2010/10/21 12:08:12 (permalink)
TJ Jackson

rjb
I also find posts by restaurant owners of photos touting their latest blue plate special tedious and a little off-putting -- seems like thinly disguised advertising.

Agreed

That said, no site is perfect - like a marriage, you take the good (as you see it) with the bad (as you see it)

However -- plenty of folks like seeing those posts, if you read the comments that follow.  So even though you and I (and likely others) don't like seeing such posts (particularly with such great frequency from one such poster), we need to accept that for others, these are enjoyable posts, and simply try to ignore them.....and simply focus on the parts we do come here for, like trip reports and reviews

I know I can remove certain forums from coming up when I look at the site - I already have the hot doggers forums blocked, for example - but I wonder if i can block all threads started by a given member?

That would be me your talking about, and no wonder this discussion is taking place when you got attitudes like this. To the best of my recollection I have NEVER mentioned the name of my restaurant in any food pic., other folks do, I can't help that. Most people like good pictures of good food, I do that, not to promote my place, I don't need to do that here as so few people live nearby. It takes some time and I pay the photographer a few bucks extra, she a waitress here. Why you would find it off putting is beyond belief, this site is mostly about food, Roadfood, and that's my life, I'm damn proud of my food and it's quality and presentation. Your attitude is itself offputting, it seems you think criticsm of anothers efforts raises your stature, it doesn't.
As a side note, in the Misc. Off Topic, on the current page I have started 8 topics with 6283 reads and 188 responses, what have you added?

post edited by chewingthefat - 2010/10/21 12:22:39
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:Where Did Everyone Go? 2010/10/21 12:29:31 (permalink)
chewingthefat
Your attitude is itself offputting, it seems you think criticsm of anothers efforts raises your stature, it doesn't.

I think if you re-read the my post, you will find that it is diplomatically stated - that I accept that what I dislike is something that others like quite well.  I accept that.  I think we all should.  My main point is that this site has  a lot of content, and it is highly unlikely that there is even one member who likes every single topic posted

I love my wife, but she isn't perfect - I love her and so accept the good with the bad.....and in this sense that is not dissimilar to how I feel about this site - overall I love to be here, but are there some things I could do without?  Absolutely.  But I will accept the bad (hate speech, obscenity, and spam excepted, naturally) with the good because I love the website.

So ultimately, I am puzzled as to why you feel I have an attitude problem, and even moreso as to why you didn't make the same accusation of the poster I agreed with?  Do we all have to like your posts, or we (in your eyes) have an attitude?  Sounds kinda silly and childish to me.    

And as for stature?  I am a poster here - nothing more, nothing less.  If anyone (outside of the mods and admins) has stature here, it is the paid Insiders, and I am not an Insider.  Aside from that, I have the same rights and responsibilities you do, or any other non-admin-or-mod poster has.  So I don't understand your comments relating to 'stature', as it is irrelevant in the context of these forums.

and finally, regarding:
chewingthefat
on the current page I have started 8 topics with 6283 reads and 188 responses, what have you added?

Honestly, I didn't know that there was a competition going on......I didn't get a notification.   You win, or at least you beat me?   np -- I'm OK with that, I don't come here to compete with anyone.  But I do have a question - it would appear by your statement that this competition is based on quantity of posts and responses, but is quality also included in the measure?  I just want to know how this competition is judged, should I decide to try to jump in late and try to overtake you despite your commanding lead.
post edited by TJ Jackson - 2010/10/21 12:38:49
saps
  • Total Posts : 1565
Re:Where Did Everyone Go? 2010/10/21 12:35:23 (permalink)
There's a big difference between spam, gratuitous posting of one's products, and then members sharing different foods that they happen to serve.  CTF and Guspas fall into the latter category.  If someone had nothing but posts touting their restaurant, I can see where it might bother some people, but I don't know if I've seen anything like that on here. 

Personally, I think it adds to the site, the pics are great, and overall it's harmless-  and if it drives some business to a roadfood member, gives other members the chance to eat at another member's establishment and commisserate, I can't see how it's not a win for everyone involved.

Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
Re:Where Did Everyone Go? 2010/10/21 12:40:33 (permalink)
In a general reply to questions about blocking posts by certain members...and not in reply to any one person...when you click on someone's name next to any post they made an option comes up to block member. Their posts will then be replaced by a message they are blocked. Unfortunately this isn't a binding or irrevocable decision and you can cheat and click on that message and still see the post...and based on fact most of these issues arise because folks simply can't turn away or ignore what they don't like, I suspect that is what happens...making the whole blocking thing a rather unworthy alternative to...

JUST EXERCISING SOME SELF CONTROL AND AVOIDING TOPICS, POSTERS, SECTIONS OR THREADS YOU KNOW YOU DON'T LIKE!!!!!!!!!    

saps
  • Total Posts : 1565
Re:Where Did Everyone Go? 2010/10/21 12:43:38 (permalink)
Diplomatic with a few shots thrown in, and then the dagger at the end:

"I know I can remove certain forums from coming up when I look at the site - I already have the hot doggers forums blocked, for example - but I wonder if i can block all threads started by a given member?"

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Where Did Everyone Go? 2010/10/21 12:43:51 (permalink)
Me, I like chewingthefat's photos -- especially now that I know he has to pay someone else to make them. And while I like the photos, I don't always like what is photographed. But that's why restaurants have menus. Heck, even White Castle has more than Slyders. At any rate, his food looks well prepared, and often causes nearly uncontrollable salivating.

One other thing, considering the various topics he's posted in his time here, while I realize he owns a restaurant I think of him as a member who wants to share his vision of food, not someone promoting his place of business.

And just to assuage any fears that I might be getting soft in my curmudgeonage, The guy can also be a pain in the butt.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:Where Did Everyone Go? 2010/10/21 12:47:34 (permalink)
saps
Personally, I think it adds to the site, the pics are great, and overall it's harmless

You're certainly not alone in this regard.  It is clear from the responses in those threads that lots of folks do, and I accept that, as stated above. 

The old adage about one mans trash and anothers treasure, and all that.......

sapsI can't see how it's not a win for everyone involved.

Well, I've explained that i don't like to see such posts, and so did the other fellow earlier....so assuming you consider the two of us part of 'everyone' and can see by our statements that we two don't see it as a 'win'......I can't explain it any more clearly than that.  Can you also concede that if two of us have said we feel this way, there exists the possibility that there are others who feel the same way but have chosen not to participate in this somewhat confrontational thread?
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:Where Did Everyone Go? 2010/10/21 12:52:05 (permalink)
Tony Bad
when you click on someone's name next to any post they made an option comes up to block member. Their posts will then be replaced by a message they are blocked.

If one takes this option, will the person exercising this option no longer see entire threads created by said blocked poster?  Or will you see the thread but not see the content of the opening post?  I would hope for the former, not the latter
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Where Did Everyone Go? 2010/10/21 12:53:59 (permalink)
TJ Jackson

Tony Bad
when you click on someone's name next to any post they made an option comes up to block member. Their posts will then be replaced by a message they are blocked.

If one takes this option, will the person exercising this option no longer see entire threads created by said blocked poster?  Or will you see the thread but not see the content of the opening post?  I would hope for the former, not the latter

This function will just block you from seeing posts made by a member. If they start a thread you will miss first post, but see any subsequent responses. 
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:Where Did Everyone Go? 2010/10/21 13:00:25 (permalink)
saps
and then the dagger at the end:

"I know I can remove certain forums from coming up when I look at the site - I already have the hot doggers forums blocked, for example - but I wonder if i can block all threads started by a given member?"

It was not intended as a dagger. 

It was intended as a legitimate question.  

Let's say someone no longer wants to see Buffetbuster's posts.  God knows why, they are excellent, but hey -- different strokes for different folks, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and etc.   Wouldn't such a person's enjoyment of this site be improved if threads by Buffetbuster again never appeared on any of his/her forum searches/views?  I know I enjoyed the site less when i didn't have the hot dog vendor forums filtered out, and enjoyed it more once I had added that filter, so in my personal experience, such content filtering has benefited me.  And i accept the flip side as well - there may be members (perhaps thousands) who never want to see a thread I start ever again.  Perfectly understandable and acceptable.
smokestack lightning
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 302
Re:Where Did Everyone Go? 2010/10/21 13:09:05 (permalink)
Just my opinions. I would also prefer not to see people posting food from their own restaurants unless it is some unusual item that comes up in a thread. Regardless of how it is explained it is self promotion. But that said, I will repeat that i think the biggest problems here are not self promotion or heated discussions of roadfood "issues". They are mean and cruel attacks on people, endless non roadfood topics, recipe and cooking posts, and professional restaurant posts. To repeat what i would like to see more of are trip reports, restaurant reviews and discussions.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
Re:Where Did Everyone Go? 2010/10/21 13:13:14 (permalink)
We've had recipes as long as the site has been alive, along with the 
miscellaneous and off topic sections which arrived soon after.
The recession has cut severely into people's travels and those who file trip reports have slowed down accordingly.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:Where Did Everyone Go? 2010/10/21 13:17:37 (permalink)
regarding:
Tony Bad
JUST EXERCISING SOME SELF CONTROL AND AVOIDING TOPICS, POSTERS, SECTIONS OR THREADS YOU KNOW YOU DON'T LIKE!!!!!!!!!    

for what it's worth - I agreed with this in my original post to this thread, ala:
TJ Jacksoneven though you and I (and likely others) don't like seeing such posts (particularly with such great frequency from one such poster), we need to accept that for others, these are enjoyable posts, and simply try to ignore them.....and simply focus on the parts we do come here for, like trip reports and reviews
so I am not sure what all the flames are for.......
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Where Did Everyone Go? 2010/10/21 13:20:54 (permalink)
Flames? Did I miss them?
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4564
Re:Where Did Everyone Go? 2010/10/21 13:29:31 (permalink)
Problem #1 - Constantly posting about what and who you don't like.  Negativity is .....well, just plain negative.
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Where Did Everyone Go? 2010/10/21 13:29:40 (permalink)
TJ Jackson

for what it's worth - I agreed with this in my original post to this thread, so I am not sure what all the flames are for.......

Yes, I understood, which is why I wrote...

Tony Bad 

In a general reply to questions about blocking posts by certain members...and not in reply to any one person...

My point being that so much of the unpleasant discussions could be avoided if people simply ignored things they already know they don't like. Unfortunately many would rather argue than take the easy road. It is the unfortunate nature of internet discourse. The size of font reflects my constant frustration and disappointment regarding this issue.

Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Where Did Everyone Go? 2010/10/21 13:38:22 (permalink)
joerogo

Problem #1 - Constantly posting about what and who you don't like.  Negativity is .....well, just plain negative.

Are you saying you don't like people posting about what they don't like?
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15321
Re:Where Did Everyone Go? 2010/10/21 13:56:39 (permalink)
Hmmm, If I 'block' those posters who disagree with my outlook, it will certainly shorten the number of posts I have to check when I open the boards !!  And  no more of the TONY the TIGER guy !!!     Moderating would sure be an easier job if that were the operating philosophy !

BTW I am pleased with the change in sequence of the forums, moving the 'Pro Forum' down the list and boosting the RF Travel sections up the priority list wasn't my idea, but it is a very good one anyway !.
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4564
Re:Where Did Everyone Go? 2010/10/21 14:03:53 (permalink)
Tony Bad

joerogo

Are you saying you don't like people posting about what they don't like?

Once in a while or constantly?
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Where Did Everyone Go? 2010/10/21 14:18:35 (permalink)
joerogo
Once in a while or constantly? 

I forgot the original question. When are we going fishing?
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:Where Did Everyone Go? 2010/10/21 14:25:15 (permalink)
mayor al
If I 'block' those posters who disagree with my outlook

I think you get the big big bucks as a senior mod to not block anyone :-)

after all, if I knew you had me blocked (for example) I could start safely raising hell about how cats are so much better than dogs, how Louisville is just a Cincinnati wannabe, and so forth.  

and we can't have that. :-)
i95
Re:Where Did Everyone Go? 2010/10/21 14:52:23 (permalink)

New York, NY, Oct. 21 -- THIS JUST IN: Investigators
have just concluded that www.roadfood.com is a food
site and that, honestly people, if you have this many
problems with a site whose primary purpose is to share
information on the best diner in a particular neck-of-the-
woods, it may be time to pack it in.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 7
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1