Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish!

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 60 of 176
PapaJoe8
  • Total Posts : 5504
  • Reward points : 0
Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! - Tue, 10/19/10 8:32 PM
French frys, onion rings, mashed potatoes, and even fried pickles, all get talked about more than celery. To prove that the importance of this veggie is vastly underestimated I have a quiz;

1. What very famous Roadfood restaurant insists that celery is a "must have" side for a dish that they invented?. (This one is easy. They get harder!)

2. What restaurant, that was famous for the only dish that Dallas Texas can truly call it's own, always offered celery as an addition topping? Hint, a famous rock n roll star was said to sneak in to town for this dish... with celery. Oh, and who was this RnRer?

3. What sea food seasoning, used in many restaurants, contains celery seasoning?

4. What famous regional hot dog is not complete w/o some type of celery seasoning?

5, What famous hot dog sauce contains celery seasoning?

6, What famous award winning chili recipe contains celery?

I can think of more but I will stop here for now.

Feel free to put up your own celery quiz questions. Please relate them to a restaurant or restaurants in general. Otherwise this thread could get moved to... who knows where???
Joe

Edit; If any of my posts, of more than a sentence or two,  do not contain an edit... someone has stolen my Roadfood password!  Please PM me.

<message edited by PapaJoe8 on Tue, 10/19/10 8:41 PM>

PapaJoe8
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! - Tue, 10/19/10 9:17 PM
I've stumped 19 viewers... neat!
Joe

joerogo
  • Total Posts : 4468
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! - Tue, 10/19/10 9:31 PM
JoePapa, U da Man!

Let's add negative calories to the celery positives.

MellowRoast
  • Total Posts : 1937
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! - Tue, 10/19/10 9:36 PM
Well, here are my guesses.

1. Anchor Bar
2. Shanghai Jimmy’s
3. Old Bay
4. Chicago Dog
5. ?
6. Skyline? Wendy’s?
<message edited by MellowRoast on Tue, 10/19/10 9:47 PM>

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17851
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! - Tue, 10/19/10 9:41 PM
Celery is really good for sticking in a Bloody Mary glass. That's about it.

PapaJoe8
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! - Tue, 10/19/10 9:51 PM
Joe, I was savin that for last but yes... It's a healthy thing!

Mellow, talks cheep. Prove it! Answers will be given on page 4 or sooner ... if ? I live that long??? But... all correct answers will be winners!
Joe

MellowRoast
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! - Wed, 10/20/10 10:45 AM
Hey, wait.  On second thought, does anyone consider celery a side dish?  I think of it as an ingredient or garnish, but not a side dish.  I've asked for a side of potatoes, slaw, broccoli, rice, etc. but I don't think I've ever asked for a side of celery.    Don't get me wrong, though.  I love the stuff.

When it comes to Buffalo wings, though, there could be a debate, but I'd lean toward calling it a garnish. 

6star
  • Total Posts : 4388
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! - Wed, 10/20/10 12:07 PM
Although I cook using celery (and dried celery leaves and cream of celery soup), I don't think I have ever seen a side dish of just cooked celery (unless you want to count plain cream of celery soup as a side dish).

the ancient mariner
  • Total Posts : 3987
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! - Wed, 10/20/10 12:31 PM
Celery in the buff, raw, ice cold, and crispy fresh  is a great side---
-------cooked it ain't so good unless it is in with something tasty. 

Celery, onions and carrots are the basis of darn near every meal,
 other than breakfast, for me. 

Name 3 songs with PaPa in their title.

PapaJoe8
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! - Wed, 10/20/10 1:01 PM
Ok, mellow did prove it. 1 thru 4 is correct. 6? Your a winner! Congrats!

Side dish? Almost anywhere you order hot wings of any kind they offer celery as a side. Kinda like french frys w/ a burger. Hmm,  maybe that is the only thing you get celery as a side with? I did ponder where to post this thread but this is where it ended up. Mods can move it if they like but please not to where the KOAHD hread ended up.

#6. I am sworn to secrecy concerning secret ingredients in Cincinnati Chili. So NO! Windy's? Not that I know of. #6.  Hint... Texas.

2 (b) is still up for grabs.

Michael, I agree! And I disagree! Maybe you have had celery in some things and not even known it. And where would a CSD be w/o celery. Oh, and maybe Buffalo Wings would have just  been a one night thing w/o celery?

6star, cooked celery as a side? Maybe your right. What do you use celery leaves for? I always hate throwing those away! Celery in soup is just an ingreadent I think, even if it is celery soup. But cream of celery soup is used in all kinds of recipes.

What about celery as an appatizer? I have had it stuffed w/ several things. Hey, good stuff! Anyone have stuffing suggestions?
Joe
<message edited by PapaJoe8 on Wed, 10/20/10 1:06 PM>

carollwdls
  • Total Posts : 86
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! - Wed, 10/20/10 1:03 PM
Good one, PapaJoe! I confess I haven't the foggiest to the Celery Quiz questions. I am especially chagrined that I do NOT know which Dallas Texas restaurant you're referring to. But I DO know 2 songs with "Papa" in the titles, OAncientOne:
1.) Papa's Got A Brand New Bag (James Brown)
2.) Papa Was A Rolling Stone (The Temptations)
(Do these date me to the 60's or what? )

Oh, AND: I DO use celery as a side vegetable when I cook a pot roast. I roast it along with carrots, garlic, leeks and celery root.  And once ~ just once ~ I made a creamed celery side dish. 

PapaJoe8
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! - Wed, 10/20/10 1:29 PM
SBQ, hey great songs! 60s, naa, everyone loves the oldies. But your comment DID date you. Hmm, I wonder if celery is mentioned in any song???

Mellow got the main part of the Dallas deal right. It was before your time I think ( if that makes you feel better? ). But it is an important part of Dallas food history. But #2 (part B) has not been answered. There is a thread here w/ lots of info, and links to the Dallas history boards, if you want to know more about Shanghai Jimmy and his great Chili Rice. He was a WW2 hero and quite an interesting caracter. And, the restaurants, Jimmy's Kitchen, he helped start in China are still very popular.

Ok, cooked ceery IS used as a side dish for pot roast by SBQ. Sounds good! Anyone ever had this served in a restaurant? Oh, and creamed celery. Anyone ever had that... anywhere?

SBQ, we need that recipe... unless it's a secret recipe???
Joe

billyboy
  • Total Posts : 2363
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! - Wed, 10/20/10 1:30 PM
Pop quiz Papa!  What well-known beverages contain celery or its extracts?

carollwdls
  • Total Posts : 86
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! - Wed, 10/20/10 1:56 PM
Oh, BB, I know that one! Dr. Brown's Cel-Ray soda! Papa, there is a reason I only made the creamed celery dish once... 
I am totally guessing Elvis... I'm sure lots of famous R&R'rs have to sneak out in public, but I imagine Elvis REALLY could not have ever enjoyed even a minute of peace anywhere he went... 

billyboy
  • Total Posts : 2363
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! - Wed, 10/20/10 2:06 PM
Ding!  Ding!  Yes, SHE-B-Q.  And the celery taste definitely comes through at the end of the soda!  I was also thinking of celery stalks in Bloody Marys!

Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2413
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! - Wed, 10/20/10 2:21 PM
"Papa Don't Preach", Madonna.  As far as a celery "song", well:

http://www.weebls-stuff.com/songs/Celery/

Hey, you asked for it!

Never mind, link doesn't work!
<message edited by Rusty246 on Wed, 10/20/10 2:23 PM>

PapaJoe8
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! - Wed, 10/20/10 2:56 PM
Billy, all pop quizes welcome here! I didn't know that one.

Nice job SBQ! You got 2 at once. Yep, it was Elvis sneakin into Shanghai Jimmy's downtown dallas location. Not for sure but I once saw a weird looking dude order his Chili Rice w/ celery and... sweet relish, and other stuff. He quietly enjoyed his meal. Not many folks ordered their Chili Rice that way. Was it Elvis? Not sure but......

Thanks Rusty! We can always google this up. Songs about celery... who woulda thunk?*&^#@

Ok, only #5 and 6 left. Where are all tha hot dog experts when we need em?
Joe

MellowRoast
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! - Wed, 10/20/10 3:00 PM
Is there a good bio with pictures on Shanghai Jimmy?  I know very little about him.  Also, is that recipe transcribed from a LP the actual one he used, and if not, what was the purpose of the recording?

Russ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 2257
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! - Wed, 10/20/10 3:30 PM
And don't forget what a great addition to Jello celery is...Russ

PapaJoe8
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! - Wed, 10/20/10 3:40 PM
Mellow, I sent you a PM about another subject. My PM deal might be broke but it is in my sent folder.

Someone did a bio about Jimmy but I have never seen a copy. I only saw a mention at the newer Dallas History site. There are two threads there about Jimmy and, besides the thread here. that is the best info around. There ae links at the thread here. One of Jimmy's nephews had some stuff to say at those threads. Born In OKC is maybe the most knowledgable person concerning Jimmy. He, and a lady at the history site did ALLOT of research.

About the LP... no it's not Jimmy's chili rice chili recipe. Why did he make it? Maybe to make some spare change? Maybe he wanted more fols to know about Texas chili? It was called How to Make Good Texas Chili or something close to that. Good question though!

As far as I know Jimmy was the only one to make an LP about chili. And, the only one to offer chopped celery as an optional topping for any kind of chili dish. Maybe some place else offers celery for chili though?

Now for that hot dog sauce made w/ celery???
Joe

PapaJoe8
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! - Wed, 10/20/10 3:44 PM
Russ, I didn't know folks put celery in Jello. Sounds good though. Thanks! Do you know of any place that serves Jello w/ celery?
Joe

MellowRoast
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! - Wed, 10/20/10 4:08 PM
PapaJoe8

Mellow, I sent you a PM about another subject. My PM deal might be broke but it is in my sent folder.
Joe

What's a PM?  The only thing that comes to mind is Prime Minister.  Don't tell me you sent a Prime Minister.

Rusty246
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! - Wed, 10/20/10 4:09 PM
My Aunt makes a cranberry relish during the holidays.  It's whole cranberries simmered with sugar and orange zest, cooled, add strawberry Jello(make according to package directions)add chopped celery and pecans.  Pour into a mold or baking dish and chill.  Pretty good stuff.

Sorry, I'm steering away from the OM. 
<message edited by Rusty246 on Wed, 10/20/10 4:11 PM>

Rusty246
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! - Wed, 10/20/10 4:10 PM
MellowRoast

PapaJoe8

Joe

What's a PM?  The only thing that comes to mind is Prime Minister.  Don't tell me you sent a Prime Minister.

Personal message......I think!

PapaJoe8
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! - Wed, 10/20/10 4:23 PM
LOLOL Mellow. I hada hard time stopping and had to wipe tha tears. :~))) Would you like for me to send you a Prime Minister? Close Rusty... a PM is a private message. We Do havea PM deal here. It likes to hide though.

Oh Rusty, anything about celery is welcome here. I think I might have actually had that cranberry dish? To my now jogged memory it was real good.

Anyone know of a restaurant that serves Rusty's cranberry / celery dish? Maybe around the holidays?
Joe

Russ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 2257
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! - Wed, 10/20/10 4:24 PM
Ingredients:
1 package (4 oz size) Orange or Lime Jello
3/4 cup Boiling water
1/2 cup Cold water
Ice Cubes
1 tablespoon Lemon juice (optional)
1/2 cup Sliced celery
1/2 cup Shredded carrot
1/2 cup Chopped cabbage
Directions:
Completely dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Combine cold water and the ice cubes to make 1 1/4 cups. Add to gelatin with lemon juice, stirring until slightly thickened. Remove any unmelted ice. Fold in vegetables. Spoon into individual dessert cups. Chill until set - about 30 minutes.

It is actually quite good and adds some texture. My Mother did it all the time. They even made a Celery Jello in the sixties...Russ

Here is a picture of Celery Jello http://www.diet-blog.com/archives/jellocell.jpg

<message edited by Russ Jackson on Wed, 10/20/10 4:27 PM>

PapaJoe8
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! - Wed, 10/20/10 4:31 PM
Thanks Russ! Now that I see the recipe it has jogged my memory again. I remember having something close to that as a kid. Sounds real good! I love all things lime.
Joe

the ancient mariner
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! - Wed, 10/20/10 6:24 PM
Great masterpiece by Will Bradley --- a Hall Of Fame Swing Band
Available on RCA 78s -----Circa 1946 or thereabouts.
Ray McKinley on Drums------
----------------"The Celery Stalks At Midnight". 

Just drop a nickel in the Jute Box or 6 plays for a quarter.

3 songs with Papa in the title-------

Papa Don't Preach To Me----Betty Hutton

Papa Won't You Dance With Me----from a Broadway Musical whose name
I have forgotten.

Oh My Papa---"The One, The Only-----Eddie Fisher"

<message edited by the ancient mariner on Wed, 10/20/10 6:36 PM>

PapaJoe8
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! - Wed, 10/20/10 6:36 PM
Ancient one, I somehow missed that you were a swing band fan. My roots are more Dixieland but... Anyway good finds for tha "Papa" songs!

Oh, no celery songs back in then? :~)
Joe

the ancient mariner
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! - Wed, 10/20/10 6:45 PM
Sure Pops----The Celery Stalks at Midnight
that was a real swing number----wore out 2 pair of loafers doing the
LINDY to that oldie.

I am also a lover of the mellow and soothing sounds of Dixieland. 
There is a band that hangs out in NY that I love ---has been in movies too----name----Vince Giordano and the Night Hawks.  Have seen him down in Chelsea at the Cajun (I think)  and in the Hotel Edison---overlooking beautiful Central Park here in lovely midtown New York City.    

DawnT
  • Total Posts : 1286
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! - Wed, 10/20/10 6:58 PM
While you guys are swooning about celery, the Europeans are having a fit with it much like folks on this side of the pond are with Peanut allergies. Celery products and possible cross contamination in processed foods is a big deal there and from what I gather has to be listed as a potential allergen warning

PapaJoe8
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! - Wed, 10/20/10 7:09 PM
Oh daaa. somehow missed that. I gotta try to find that celery stalking song. Hmm, that title might also make a good horror flick? Hey, that killer tomato movie went over BIG.

Sounds like Vince has a good dixie band. Hard to find good dixie now days. Anyone going through San Antonio should check out Jim Cullum at his club called the Landing. It is on the River walk at the Hyatt. His familly owns the Tom Thumb grocery stores down my way. Jim wandered off to a different drummer. His band is in a neat movie based partly in San Sntonio but I can't remember the name. My memory is not what it once was. :~((

Ok, back to that award winning chili recipe w/ celery.
Joe

PapaJoe8
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! - Wed, 10/20/10 7:12 PM
Dawn, Oh! I didn't know some folks had celery allergies. Maybe more so across tha pond?
Joe

6star
  • Total Posts : 4388
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! - Wed, 10/20/10 10:40 PM
PapaJoe8

6star, cooked celery as a side? Maybe your right. What do you use celery leaves for? I always hate throwing those away! Celery in soup is just an ingreadent I think, even if it is celery soup. But cream of celery soup is used in all kinds of recipes.

Joe

Celery leaves can be used as flavoring in a lot of things. (McCormick even sells dried celery leaves.)  You can use fresh celery leaves finely minced for flavoring roast chicken and turkey, in chicken soup and pot pie, in stuffing (dressing), etc.

PapaJoe8
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! - Wed, 10/20/10 11:50 PM
Thanks 6star. A bit of celery seasoning might make many things a bit better. I will try using those leave I usually throw away in... something. I wonder if a few might be good in a salad? Hey, I'll try anything 11 times.

Looks like questions #5 and 6 might make it to P3? I am surprised by the one about hot dog sauce. Maybe all the hot dog folks are hanging in the pro section?
Joe

DawnT
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! - Thu, 10/21/10 12:15 AM
I save the celery leaves,onion peelings, and carrot scrapings in a 2 gallon zip lock bag in the freezer. After I get enough, I buy a couple of packages of chicken backs and whack them with the cleaver a few times and throw them all in together into a 10Q pressure cooker with a bunch of peppercorns and a quartered onion 3/4 full of water. Burn them under pressure for about an hour. Using a fat seperator, pour off the stock into Cambro containers and freeze until needed in the garage. All of that rendered chicken fat can be strained through a norpro stainless funnel/strainer and put aside. Small amount works wonders in some recipes.

MellowRoast
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! - Thu, 10/21/10 6:29 AM
PapaJoe8:  I'm not aware of any PMs, but this site is a monster to understand and navigate in the first place.  For example, I've never been able to post pictures after repeated attempts, and searches are maddening.  (If people can't locate existing threads or information on a search, I totally understand.) 
<message edited by MellowRoast on Thu, 10/21/10 6:34 AM>

1bbqboy
  • Total Posts : 4542
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! - Thu, 10/21/10 9:07 AM
Gates BBQ sauce lists  Celery Seed as on of it's ingredients.
Here's a copycat recipe. 
 Homemade Gates BBQ Sauce Recipe - Gates Original Sauce

Gates BBQ Sauce Recipe

This recipe was supposedly shared with viewers of the Martha Stewart show by none other than Mr. Gates himself. It's probably not an exact duplication of the commercially produced sauce, but it comes pretty darned close.
INGREDIENTS  

• 1 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup salt
  • 2 tablespoons celery seeds
  • 2 tablespoons ground cumin
  • 2 tablespoons ground red pepper
  • 2 tablespoons garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 2 quarts ketchup (Hunt's probably, because of a Hunt's KC connection)
  • 2 cups apple cider vinegar
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons of liquid smoke, hickory flavored
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice

Combine the sugar, salt, celery seeds, cumin, red pepper, garlic powder and chili powder in a small bowl. Mix the ketchup and remaining ingredients in a large bowl, then stir in the dry ingredients. The sauce can be served warm or at room temperature.

That's the recipe provided by Mr. Gates, but I do things a little different. To bring out the flavor of the spices, and to get all that sugar and salt completely dissolved I next pour the sauce into a large pan, and bring it to a simmer over medium heat. At that point, I lower the heat and continue simmering the homemade Gates bbq sauce for 5 minutes, at which point it's taken off the heat, covered, and cooled until it can be funneled into 5 or 6 cleaned, empty bbq sauce bottles.
I like the Gates Extra Hot bbq sauce too, and found that by adding an extra tablespoon of ground red pepper, plus 3 tablespoons of ground black pepper to the recipe, I get a sauce that is nice and spicy, while still having that great Gates taste.

For a Smaller Batch of Gates Bar-B-Q Sauce…

You might feel that 2-1/2 quarts of bbq sauce is too much to make at one time, so the following homemade Gates bbq sauce recipe will make about one bottle's worth.  

• 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 tablespoon cup salt
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons celery seeds
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons ground red pepper
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
  • 16 ounces ketchup
  • 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon of liquid smoke, hickory flavored
  • 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice

For the hot and spicy version, add an extra 3/4 teaspoon of red pepper, and just shy of 1 full tablespoon of ground black pepper. Follow the above directions for combining the ingredients.

Give this Gates bbq sauce recipe a try, and if it doesn't quite suit your tastes, make an adjustment here or there to create a sauce that pleases you. Make it a little sweeter, or less salty, smokier, or even hotter than fire. There's no law saying you have to follow recipes to the T. And anyway, playing around with recipes is half the fun of cooking!

ScreamingChicken
  • Total Posts : 4737
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! - Thu, 10/21/10 9:35 AM
DawnT

Using a fat seperator, pour off the stock into Cambro containers and freeze until needed in the garage.

Interesting.  I generally use stock in the kitchen.

Brad

DawnT
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! - Thu, 10/21/10 1:17 PM
Brad_Olson

DawnT

Using a fat seperator, pour off the stock into Cambro containers and freeze until needed in the garage.

Interesting.  I generally use stock in the kitchen.

Brad

Oh Brad, You're so silly. Haven't you ever heard of a Stock Car?

ScreamingChicken
  • Total Posts : 4737
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! - Thu, 10/21/10 3:42 PM

TJ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 4486
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! - Thu, 10/21/10 4:05 PM
5 - something OTHER THAN any typical or any commercial cincinnati-style chili
6 - something OTHER THAN any typical or any commercial cincinnati-style chili

MellowRoast
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! - Fri, 10/22/10 8:06 AM
Heavens, another recall.  This one is celery in Texas... 

http://www.myfoxal.com/Global/story.asp?S=13369656
http://eatdrinkbetter.com/2010/10/22/food-recall-contaminated-celery-linked-to-illness-death/

What's next?
<message edited by MellowRoast on Fri, 10/22/10 8:10 AM>

the ancient mariner
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! - Fri, 10/22/10 8:23 AM
What's this ????  Celery recalled in Texas.  No wonder Papa Joe has been pushing it this week.  Get rid of it before they close down the state.

Joe, you old scoundrel, we ought to get the law on y'all,  get those Texas Rangers out after y'all if they weren't too busy playing baseball.  Go Rangers----destroy those cursed Yankees. 

PapaJoe8
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! - Fri, 10/22/10 10:33 AM
Bill, nice BBQ sauce recipe! Who woulda thunk it had celery.

Dawn, neat ieda to freeze that stuff! And about tha stock... what Brad said, and what Brad said. :~)))

TJ, we are looking for things that DO contain celery here. I know you know the answer to one of those questions.

Mellow, shoot! But thanks for the link. Just one plant that does not sell to stores but... that's scarrry! I may not make peanut butter stuffed celery like I planned for this W/E. :~((

Ancient one, the Rangers are a BIG deal right now here in Texas. They have never done so well against tha Yankies though. Although, maybe that was then... and this is now? We will see. Thanks for tha cheer!
Joe

Oh, Mellow... I'm gonna send you another Prime Minister. Keep looking for your PM box. Oh, and stuff here is easy to find w/ a google. Not tha PM's though. They DO NOT google up.

Edit; P.3 coming up soon and still 2 unanswered questions!
<message edited by PapaJoe8 on Fri, 10/22/10 10:41 AM>

MellowRoast
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! - Fri, 10/22/10 11:01 AM
the ancient mariner

What's this ????  Celery recalled in Texas.  No wonder Papa Joe has been pushing it this week.  Get rid of it before they close down the state.

Joe, you old scoundrel, we ought to get the law on y'all,  get those Texas Rangers out after y'all if they weren't too busy playing baseball.  Go Rangers----destroy those cursed Yankees. 

TJ Jackson
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! - Fri, 10/22/10 2:38 PM
PapaJoe8

TJ, we are looking for things that DO contain celery here. I know you know the answer to one of those questions.
About every 6-12 months, you seem to need to be reminded that Cincinnati-style chili does not typically contain celery or celery-related materials

My post takes care of that reminder, so you should be good to go now for another 6-12 months

ynotryme
  • Total Posts : 562
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! - Fri, 10/22/10 2:57 PM
celery has been in the news lately
in texas 4 die from eating contaminated celery and red celery introduced in florida
www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2010/10/22/2010-10-22_celery_recalled_after_texas...

• Red Celery: Same Crunch, Different Color
    msnbc.com

• MellowRoast
    Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! - Fri, 10/22/10 4:08 PM
    TJ Jackson

PapaJoe8

About every 6-12 months, you seem to need to be reminded that Cincinnati-style chili does not typically contain celery or celery-related materials

My post takes care of that reminder, so you should be good to go now for another 6-12 months

Strange you should mention that because I've opened 2 cans of Skyline Chili in the last week, and the first thing I smell upon opening is celery.  It may not contain any, but there is absolutely a hint of celery in the fragrance from the can. Go figger. 

TJ Jackson
    Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! - Fri, 10/22/10 4:35 PM
    MellowRoast

I've opened 2 cans of Skyline Chili in the last week, and the first thing I smell upon opening is celery.

The canned stuff is only somewhat like the real thing

I don't doubt they have to use other ingredients (which may contribute to the smell you perceive) in the canned product to make it shelf stable.

the ancient mariner
    Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! - Fri, 10/22/10 4:48 PM
    I find it incredulous (Papa Joe, that is a fancy word we use up north) ---it means hard to bee-leave.  Oh yeah, I find it incredulous that anyone from Chat-an-ooga, Tenn would ever open a can of chili.  And, the other bozo from 0h-high-oh knew what Skyline Chili was and what it should taste or smell like.  It is beyond my conception.  (Joe, you know what conception is, right?)

I am ashamed of you both.  Chili was made to be made from scratch, (with
    or without beans).  No, No excuses acceped---sorry.

<message edited by the ancient mariner on Fri, 10/22/10 4:51 PM>

joerogo
    • Total Posts : 4468
    Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! - Fri, 10/22/10 5:07 PM
    Nobody knows more about chili than PapaJoe.  If he says they are using celery in Cincinnati, I believe him

waiterhell
    • Total Posts : 88
    Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! - Fri, 10/22/10 5:10 PM
    I used to hate buying celery for the 2 or 3 stalks I needed for a recipe, only to watch
    vast majority quickly rot away in the crisper drawer.  Only until one of my chefs told me his secret.
    Well, to keep it from rotting away in the fridge until you need another 2 stalks, remove from the plastic bag and remove any rubber bands, rinse thoroughly, then dry it. 
    Take a sheet of aluminum foil 2 1/2 times the length of the celery bunch, center the celery and place it where the foil length-wise to where the foil ends are even, snugly roll it up length -wise and fold the the remaining foil over the top of the celery, place in the crisper in the fridge.  Remove the 2 stalks you need the next time, and reseal.
    Apparently there is some electro-static property of the foil and the cell structure so that your celery stays green and crisp for up to 6 weeks.

PapaJoe8
    Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! - Fri, 10/22/10 5:21 PM
    Mellow, there was once upon a time a canned Cincy chili, sold in grocery stores, that did have celery listed. I saw a picture of the label. You wont find it on the Skyline label though.

Oh Ancient One... Us Wolf Brand lovers here in Texas would beg to differ. And so would have Will Rogers. He never traveled anywhere w/o a supply of Wolf in tow.

Made from..."scratch"? Now that IS something I have never heard of being used in Chili.

Oh, conception? A word some guys mght not want to hear from their girlfriend??? Especially if they are married!!!

All Roadfooders will feel really bad if you don't get the hot dog sauce question! Especially those who live east of the Big river.
    Joe

TJ Jackson
    Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! - Fri, 10/22/10 5:27 PM
    the ancient mariner
    the other bozo from 0h-high-oh knew what Skyline Chili was and what it should taste or smell like.
    The other bozo from 0h-high-oh knows about Skyline Chili because he has spent the greater bulk of his life living in the Cincinnati area, where Skyline is based.  And typically, here in Cincinnati, such Chili is not gotten from a can, it is gotten instead at one of the many Skyline restaurants all over this area. 

The other bozo from 0h-high-oh has never needed (or wanted) to eat Skyline chili's canned grocery-store product, and has never done so.

the ancient mariner
    I am ashamed of you both

You hurted my feewings *sob* 
    You big meanie you.

*laff*
    <message edited by TJ Jackson on Fri, 10/22/10 5:39 PM>

TJ Jackson
    Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! - Fri, 10/22/10 5:29 PM
    joerogo

Nobody knows more about chili than PapaJoe.  If he says they are using celery in Cincinnati, I believe him
    Then you don't mind being wrong. 

I have no problem with you being wrong either.

You are entitled to your wrong opinion

*shrug*

TJ Jackson
    Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! - Fri, 10/22/10 5:38 PM
    PapaJoe8

Mellow, there was once upon a time a canned Cincy chili, sold in grocery stores, that did have celery listed. I saw a picture of the label.
    Sounds like they produced a bad product, which in turn didn't sell and I am guessing they are now out of business.  Are they still in business?  If so, I'd be very surprised if they still produce this alleged 'cincinnati-style' chili. 

The name isn't regulated or anything, tho, so I suppose someone could indeed quite legally slap a label saying 'Cincinnati-style chili' on a can containing virtually anything - lutefisk, whale blubber, passenger pigeon foie gras, etc etc etc.  You can paint 'Rolls Royce' on the side of a Ford Pinto, but it nonetheless remains a Pinto, not a Rolls.

PapaJoe8
    Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! - Fri, 10/22/10 8:15 PM
    Joe, thanks for gettin my back but.. all I said here was that there was a canned chili called Cincinnati Chili, sold in grocery stores, that at one time had celery listed on the lable. TJ is right! There is no evadence that there is any kind of celery seasoning, of any kind, known to be in Cincinnati Chili offered by a restaurant anywhere near Cincinnati.

Those Cincinnati Chili recipes are TOP secret and most are kept safely in vaults.

There are however 100s of Cincinnati Chili recipes posted on the net that call for celery seasoning of some kind. There are also maybe 1,000s of Chili recipes, not calling themselves Cincinnati Style, with celery of some kind in the recipe.

Rarely though does anyone offer, or suggest, celery as an optional topping for Chili. That honer was Shanghai Jimmy's.

P.3 comin up and 2 quiz questions left to answer!!!
    Joe
    <message edited by PapaJoe8 on Fri, 10/22/10 8:20 PM>

MellowRoast
    Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! - Fri, 10/22/10 8:59 PM
    One more question regarding Shanghai Jimmy's Chili Rice.  Was the beef in the recipe a chili grind, diced, or chunks?  Just curious. 

PapaJoe8
    Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! - Fri, 10/22/10 9:25 PM
    Mellow, there has been much debate on that subject. Born In OKC thinks it was chopped very fine. He thinks Jimmy had the meat thinly sliced by a butcher and then Jimmy chopped it from there. Some remember it as a finely ground meat about like hamburger grind. It was for sure not big chunks or the coarse ground chili grind. Jimmy offered oyster crackers and his recommended drink w/ chili rice was lemonade. It is surprisingly good with a mild chili like Jimmy's.
    Joe

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 60 of 176