Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

A Multiple Trips Report

Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 61 to 63 of 63
rjb

• Total Posts: 451
Re:A Multiple Trips Report Thu, 11/4/10 4:56 PM (permalink)
Carolina Bob

Michael, your photos of Miller's are real heartbreakers for me. The second edition of Roadfood  ( 1980, I think ) was the first of your books that I ever read, and of all the restaurants covered in the book, Miller's was the one that I most wanted to visit. At the time I had never even heard of Texas-style brisket or hot links before, but your descriptions of Miller's food and atmosphere had me salivating. I'm really sorry that I never made it down there, but at least I was able to get to Louis Mueller's place for brisket and hot links last winter, and it's now my #2 favorite restaurant on the planet, second only to the original Doe's Eat Place. Do you know in what year Miller's went out of business?

Miller's?  With an i?  Is that what I've been looking for for 33 years? Now I know why I never could find Louie MULLER's in Waelder

barbqing

• Total Posts: 1
    Re:A Multiple Trips Report Thu, 07/26/12 11:29 AM (permalink)
    Michael:  What a FANTASTIC photo you posted of Edna from Texas Lunch in Port Chester.  I grew up on Texas Lunch and still have the newspaper article from when it closed in 1989.  All these many years later my friends and I still talk about the place like it was yesterday.  Do you happen to have any other slides from Texas including Edna's sister Millie or the two guys that used to work there Henry and George?  Btw, a piece of Texas Lunch trivia that you may or may not know about - the song "Mille Make Some Chili" by Billy Vera and the Beaters was written about Texas Lunch.  At the time it was written Billy lived in New Rochelle NY and would come to Texas in the evenings (just like the rest of us did).
    Thanks in advance!

scrumptiouschef

• Total Posts: 640
      Re:A Multiple Trips Report Sat, 12/29/12 12:33 PM (permalink)
      worth a bump so we can gaze back on Michael Stern's brilliant photography.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
        Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 61 to 63 of 63

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
        • No New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
        • Locked w/ New Messages
        • Locked w/o New Messages
        • Read Message
        • Post New Thread
        • Reply to message
        • Post New Poll
        • Submit Vote
        • Post reward post
        • Delete my own posts
        • Delete my own threads
        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com