Change Page: < 1234567 > | Showing page 6 of 7, messages 301 to 360 of 391
flyufast
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone - Thu, 08/18/05 2:41 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Wistah

quote:
I loved Arthur Treacher's. And there was a knock off around here in MI that featured a penguin as it's symbol. Can't come up with the name, though. Damn electric shock treatments are messing with my memeory.

Clothier - that chain was called Hungry Penguin. I grew up in the Detroit area and vaguely remember them as a competitor to Arthur Treachers. I remember the Arhtur Treachers on Vernier Road outside of Eastland Mall.

Here's one for you - ever hear of a place called Vernier's, up near Mt. Clemens (Fair Haven?). I remember them over 30 years ago having the most incredible big burgers and fries....maybe it was just because I was a youngster, but they sure seemed special....

I haven't spent any time in the Detroit area in many years, so I have no idea if Verniers still exists.

crazyjon96@swfla.rr.com
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone - Sat, 08/27/05 8:35 PM
quote:
Originally posted by shaynas_mom

Being from Phila. & remembering Gino's so well, I was just wondering which one came first Gino's or McDonalds if you know, thanks for your help.

crazyjon96@swfla.rr.com
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone - Sat, 08/27/05 8:40 PM
Can you please tell me who came first Gino's or McDonalds? Thank you

ellen4641
  • Total Posts : 3531
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone - Sun, 08/28/05 1:27 AM
Since McDonalds' started in the 1950's, I would have to say, definitely, Mcdonalds'!!

I miss Gino's , as well, espescially that "Gino Giant" burger.
Remember the Gino's that was right there on the Wildwood boardwalk?

then it turned into a Roy Rogers, but no more...

ellen

bookedoo
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone - Sun, 08/28/05 8:41 AM
ANYONE REMEMBER SENIORS RESTAURANT, BROOKLYN, NY.???? GONE ABOUT 8 YEARS NOW???
GREAT STUFFED CABBAGE, BRISKET, PASTRAMI AND SOOOO MUCH MORE

surman
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone - Tue, 09/13/05 1:50 PM
Gone... Wall's BBQ in Savannah, GA.

Sandy Eggo
  • Total Posts : 226
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone - Thu, 09/22/05 10:10 PM
Here's a website that has pictures of many old chains, diners and fast food place... many gone, some still in business...

Great photo's at Road Side Peek... http://www.roadsidepeek.com/coffeeeats/index.htm

mo iz bedda
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone - Mon, 11/14/05 2:52 PM
One memorable restaurant out here in SoCal was di Palma’s Italian Village outside of Corona, California. You would head out on Magnolia heading south of Corona in the direction of Riverside. As you went down the two lane road with palm date trees on the left side, you needed to keep your eye open on the right side for the sign that would lead you over the railroad tracks up and around the hills on a meandering dirt path. This would lead up to the parking lot which was more dirt and less sage bushes the path leading to it.

All of this was reminiscent of another family run operation, which has survived, Knott’s Berry Farm, however badly, since Cedarfair got it’s claws into it.

Now Old Man di Palma had this place since after the Second World War, and by the time I last went there he and his village had rebuilt after two wild fires and three floods. The place looked tired and shabby and Mr. di Palma seemed distracted and his banter seemed rehearsed and somewhat disjointed. There were little rickety shops leaning one way or another precariously filled with dusty old knick knacks, some new, most used. There was a pond with a couple of flamingos and half lit Christmas lights strung back and forth and in the eucalyptus trees down the walk way.

When we first went there, however, my Dad was still alive, as was this destination. My father was a chef and as a child I remember how we would be seated in private dining rooms and the chef would always come out to talk shop and make sure that whatever was served to us met with Dad’s approval. As this was the only thing I had known I did not realize until later in life how we were treated special. At the Italian Village however, Mr. Di Palma would frequently bring out guest’s food. He would flirt shamelessly with the ladies, back slap the men and generally chide anyone that did not clean their plates or exclaim the virtues of his cuisine.

Couples and families once would walk around the pond and look through the shops. No reservations were accepted and waiting for a table, like at Knott’s restaurant, could mean a wait of an hour or more to be seated. In its prime, those dusty old shops contained items that Di Palma had sent from Italy. Returning veterans saw such things while stationed in Italy during the war, but here these imported items were unique here and especially in the sticks as this area was then. The Christmas lights brightly lit the pathways, while the kids would feed the swans, ducks and the flamingos in the pond. There were strolling violinists would play romantic songs to entertain the waiting diners.

Once seated, small plate after small plate of anti pasti would be brought out: olives, pickled vegetables, bread, olive oil and cheeses among others. Di Palma prided that he provided 23 small plates of anti pasti to begin his meals. After an hour of these, the pasta would come, followed by the il secondo, the main course, then gelato and finally fruit and cheese. By the time my Mom and I were there in the mid seventies many things contributed to the end of his Village. It was a point of pride to Mr. di Palma that he would always rebuild his restaurant after one brush fire, common in these hills, singed and a second brush fire consumed much of his Village. He boasted also of coming back after two floods that had taken its toll. Finally the first gas shortage and then the second in the early 70s brought about the end. His finances were not helped by the likes of family style chain restaurants being built with their consistency and perceived quality, nor a television for entertainment once home from a quick meal. The final blow steam rolled literally over the di Palma Italian Village when Interstate 15 was decided to be built right through his property.

Sigh, and thanks for letting me wallow in the memories. Now I need to go rummage in the 'fridge for olives, bread and wine and mutter to the cats about the good ol' days.

mo iz bedda
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone - Mon, 11/14/05 2:54 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sandy Eggo

Here's a website that has pictures of many old chains, diners and fast food place... many gone, some still in business...

Great photo's at Road Side Peek... http://www.roadsidepeek.com/coffeeeats/index.htm

And thanks Sandy for all those pix. That's what got me going on my tangent.

wendyrose
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone - Wed, 11/30/05 12:06 AM
Hi:

I also remember Link's Log Cabin in Huntington. I lived in Long Island for many years. My family and I went to Link's often and it was a great place. I do remember the forest wallpaper. I used to buy their cute stuffed animals. Some of the tables had wooden backs (or did they all?)

Wendy L. Rosen (New Bern, NC)

ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1503
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone - Sun, 12/18/05 9:07 PM
In Philadelphia,
in the 1950s, my Aunt Lonnie was fairly well know for her kosher catering, Gershberg's Kosher Caterers, and particularly popular were the knishes sold in the shop. Anyone recall it?
The Bear

BluePlate
  • Total Posts : 25
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone - Mon, 12/19/05 5:35 PM
I lived in Binghamton, NY for a year in 1980. Does anyone know if Mama Lena's is still open? Tiny place, BYOB and handmade raviolis the size of your hand with a simple sauce to die for. In addition, Mama would come out to see how your dinner was. If she saw you had pushed your plate away without finishing, you got a firm little tap to the back of the head and were encouraged to clean your plate. If you were good and ate it all, you might get to go back in the kitchen for a taste of tommorows special. Great Italian!

wallhd
  • Total Posts : 416
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone - Mon, 12/19/05 5:47 PM
Not exactly Roadfood, but I have fond memories of two places on South Wabash in Chicago, Johnny's (which I think burned) and The Cart.

In New York City there was Whyte's (I think that is the correct spelling) on W. 57th. Seems like there was another White's in Lower Manhattan, but I don't remember ever eating there.

Wally

BluePlate
  • Total Posts : 25
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone - Mon, 12/19/05 5:50 PM
Just recalled Zider Zee's. Ft.Worth and Arlington, Tx. Were started by Bill Martin of Bill Martin's Seafood. Great little local chain now defunct. One of a kinde funky atmosphere with outstanding seafood.
Zeke's Seafood outlasted them, big with the UT Arlington students. Known for the shrimp po boys, grilled sourdough bun, cream cheese, fried shrimp, lettuce, tarter sauce. Keep you going all day.

wallhd
  • Total Posts : 416
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone - Mon, 12/19/05 9:48 PM
For the other Cornellian Roadfooders, how aobut Johnny's Big Red Grill on Dryden Road in Ithaca; or how about the Shamrock in Downtown Cortland?

Both of those places hold lots of memories for me from my time (1963-1968) in and aorund Ithaca.

Wally

sunnyside up
  • Total Posts : 126
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone - Mon, 12/19/05 10:25 PM
quote:
Originally posted by moshimarks

The Peter Pan Inn in Urbana, Maryland is the place I miss the most.
Family dining, seating up to 1,000.

The Peter Pan was part of a three restaurant chain. The other two were called the "Kapok Tree" one was in Clearwater, Florida, the other in St. Pete if I recall. All of them gone now.

Scorereader
  • Total Posts : 5546
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone - Tue, 12/20/05 9:41 AM
quote:
Originally posted by BluePlate

I lived in Binghamton, NY for a year in 1980. Does anyone know if Mama Lena's is still open? Tiny place, BYOB and handmade raviolis the size of your hand with a simple sauce to die for. In addition, Mama would come out to see how your dinner was. If she saw you had pushed your plate away without finishing, you got a firm little tap to the back of the head and were encouraged to clean your plate. If you were good and ate it all, you might get to go back in the kitchen for a taste of tommorows special. Great Italian!

It's still there. But I doubt Mama Lena is still there.

berndog
  • Total Posts : 674
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone - Tue, 12/20/05 11:09 AM
Johnny's Snack Bar, a one of a kind, real Roadfood place I remember from my youth. It was on 3rd street (Rt 23B) near Union Street in Hudson, NY, back in the sixties. This was a small hole-in-the-wall type of place, open only in the evening from about 8 or 9. I don't know how late they stayed open, but probably no later than midnight or 2 am.

Johnny's had a limited menu, foot-long hots or pepperoni sandwiches. If you wanted a drink, there was a cooler with bottled soda. Most of the business was take-out. There was a small counter with about 5 or 6 stools for dining in. We always stopped for pepperoni sandwiches when returning from visiting relatives in Catskill, or would drive there when the pepperoni pangs hit.

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15057
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone - Tue, 12/20/05 1:43 PM
Location- 154th and Crenshaw Blvd. Gardena CA Near El Camino College.

The place was WRAY'S Drive In. It was a Drive-in restaurant that matched the place in American Grafetti perfectly... A coffee shop interior with a double U shaped counter and a bunch of booths, usually full of HS and jr College kids. One wing of carport roof in the 50's jet-plane motiff where the car-hops delivered food to the cruisers who parked under the 'wing' with the space at the end reserved for the L A County Sheriff car that would be there every evening about 10 pm to invoke the curfew law that cleared the place before 11PM.(Remember the scene with them in the movie?)
One of my friend's father was the night cook there. We would sit inside (pre-driving age for me) and spend a couple of hours slowly eating a 'deep-dish pie' ( a large cereal bowl of cherry pie filling with a 7 inch frisbee disk crust sitting on top ($.45) and a cherry coke (bottomless) ($.25). A big Cheeseburger and Fries was $.75 and worth every penny (when we had the pennies). When the curfew time came along I would hop on my bike and pedal home (a block away). Maybe thats why I identify so strongly with the American Grafitti and Happy Days images. (1954-58)

10X10
  • Total Posts : 87
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone - Tue, 12/20/05 2:21 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
Originally posted by 10X10

And Sib's on Chapel, the Far East with their goldfish ponds on either sid of the entrances
quote:

I miss the old Jimmie's at Savin Rock, and Turk's and Phyliss', too. I Also miss G&H on Wall Street in New Haven, and the Arena Grille, where you could get the best lasagna in the world on Wednesdays. I miss Waybright Cafeteria on Dickinson Street in Charleston, West Virginia, and the Hub for barbeque and fried bologna sandwiches at the corner of Dickinson and Quarrier streets. I miss White Towers and Royal Castles, as well.

I don't remember Sibs, but I do remember the Far East. When I was little I thought it was the only place outside China where you could get Chinese food.
I also remember Tasty-Toastee on Temple Street, Eddie Rahm's on Center Street and the Normandie on Chapel Street. Oh, and there was Mrs. Root's on Orange Street.

Sandy Thruthegarden
  • Total Posts : 624
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone - Wed, 12/21/05 6:53 AM
quote:
Originally posted by sunnyside up

quote:
Originally posted by moshimarks

The Peter Pan Inn in Urbana, Maryland is the place I miss the most.
Family dining, seating up to 1,000.

The Peter Pan was part of a three restaurant chain. The other two were called the "Kapok Tree" one was in Clearwater, Florida, the other in St. Pete if I recall. All of them gone now.

I remember the Kapok Tree Inn well. Beautiful gardens, mediocre food. It was thought to be a very special place to dine when I was a little girl on vacation with my parents in the St. Pete area. When I moved to St. Pete in 1979, I went to dinner there and found the food bland. By that time I was more interested in the Cuban restaurants in the Ybor City section of Tampa. Other St. Pete restaurants that are long-gone but bring fond memories are Aunt Hattie's and Uncle Ed's. Every child guest was permitted to reach into the treaure chest and take one small toy. Of course, I loved that. We all liked a restaurant that was on the bay (maybe in a ship?) called the Kingfish which served delicious fried sole and grouper. Does anyone know if it's still on St. Pete Beach/Treasure Island?

webcomxp
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone - Sun, 01/1/06 4:21 AM
quote:
Originally posted by hermitt4d

My recent vacation was a trip down memory land and it prompted me to remember the San Jacinto Inn, an all you can eat seafood place on the edge of the San Jacinto Battleground, east of Houston. It was open from ca. the 1930s to the early 1980s. The menu included fried red snapper, fried chicken, blue crab meat and pasta shells in red clam sauce, that I remember. I'm sure there was also cold boiled shrimp and I think there were scalloped potatoes. I seem to remember you started with a simple iceberg lettuce salad. The crab meat was picked and presented in a small bowl -- Texas blue crabs are small and I guess they thought, or found from experience, that most people wouldn't take the trouble to deal with picking the meat themselves. There may have been fried oysters as well, but the big draws were the snapper and chicken.

It was a huge dining hall. Jacketed waiters brought your food to you; as often as you wanted it replenished, they kept bringing it. Each table, set with a white table cloth, was family style service.

All this was only about $18.95 per person the last time I went, I think.

It was an incredible feast and extremely popular. I'm not sure why they finally closed, but they couldn't have been making much money at that price. In the mid-70s, Boston Sea Food Party, or something like that, opened on the west side. It was an all you can eat place also, with prime rib and other options. The food wasn't nearly as good, but it was a lot more convenient unless you lived on the east side and it drew a lot of business away from San Jacinto Inn but only lasted 3 or 4 years itself.

Whoops! Just went Googling (again) to try to find something to refresh my memory or a picture to post and discovered a bit about the Inn on the San Jacinto Monument website FAQs: the San Jacinto Inn opened in 1919.

webcomxp
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone - Sun, 01/1/06 4:26 AM

Originally posted by hermitt4d

My recent vacation was a trip down memory land and it prompted me to remember the San Jacinto Inn,

The first time I ate at eh San Jacinto Inn the price for all you could eat was $2.75 (1952). The last ime I ate there was 1968. I don't reember the price--mainly because I met John Wayne having dinner with the cast of The Hellfighters. I got to do my awful impersonation of him--he was very gracious--not so Katherine Ross who apparently wanted me boiled with the shrimp.

doc

Morelli
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone - Mon, 01/16/06 8:51 PM
quote:
Originally posted by GeoNit

Looking for a California SMORGAASBORD, hit the linky below!

http://www.solvangUSA.com
Thank you! Now to figure out how/when to get to California!

veggienow-hotdogthen
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone - Sun, 01/29/06 11:28 AM
Lunch Memories at Northland Shopping Center in Jennings (suburb of St. Louis).

In the early 70s, I walked to Northland Shopping Center with my friend Beth. We’d go to the S.S. Kresge store, where upstairs we’d buy three-packs of underwear or whatever our moms sent us there for, and then we’d take the little escalator down to the lunch counter. The smells of popcorn and coffee thankfully overpowered the scent of mothballs from the Notions department. You could choose a booth or a swiveling bar stool at the counter. They had a row of balloons tacked to the wall behind the counter, each with a discount inside. You’d pick one, and the waitress would pop the balloon to see what discount you won. I don’t remember anything we ordered there, but we always enjoyed it.

On the upper level by the bowling alley was a Walgreen’s with a lunch counter. That’s where I first had a cherry coke (for you 25-year-olds, I’m not talking about something from a can)! You could watch people walking past the plate glass window while you enjoyed standards like country-fried steak and mashed potatoes with white gravy. And afterward, you could pick up some Bonne Bell flavored lip gloss in the cosmetics department. I would not have realized back then that this would qualify as nostalgia!

Once, and only once, we splurged and went to the Jade Room in Famous-Barr’s department store. We ordered chocolate éclairs, and we still laugh today about the éclair looking suspiciously like a toasted hot-dog bun topped with whipped cream and chocolate.

Northland, the first major shopping center in the area, lost Famous-Barr a few years ago. It had been losing money for years. The entire shopping center is now being torn down to make room for a major discount store chain. Ahh, progress! (?)

Kenny da Fat Man
  • Total Posts : 98
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone - Sat, 02/25/06 4:47 PM
We had a place here in Pittsburgh that brought a tear to my eye when it closed. It was called Richest's. It was located on 6th Ave in Downtown Pittsburgh. It was the closest thing you'll get to a New York deli outside of Manhattan. It was really fantastic. It sat about 50 people and when you sat down, they put a "relish bowl" on your table - with kosher dills, sauerkraut, pickled peppers, er\tc in it. They had awsome corned beef and for an extra buck you could get "Strictly Lean" corned beef. It melted like butter in your mouth.

I used to order a sandwich called a "Rachel", it was half corned beef and half chopped liver...Hold on while I drool....

It closed in 1995 and there is still nothing that opened since that compares. <sniffle>

drjekyll
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone - Sat, 05/27/06 4:08 PM
I remember going to a Maisel's steak house on 2 different ocassions in eh early 1960s while on school or chrch trips to NYC. It was near Radio CIty as I recall. Good steak, good price, but we had a waiter who eyed a group of kids without adult supervbision suspiciously. For downscale it had a nice aatmosphere.

drjekyll
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone - Sat, 05/27/06 4:14 PM
Does anyone remember Pippins or Mama Leone's in NYC? A friend of mine wworkedat Pippins in the 60s and said they used to put a pickle relish bowl on the tables that was never cleaned, only refilled. It was common to find coins, utensils, adn even cigarette butss in these bowls. Once they fished out a fork that was so green they could not get it out with 5 passes through the dishwasher.

Ken_B.
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone - Sun, 06/25/06 8:27 PM
I now live in Boston but grew up south of Philly and I too fondly remember Gino's! They faded out in the late 70's early 80's if I recall and as stated earlier turned into Roy Roger's, now gone too I believe.

More than Burger King I think Gino's and McDonald's were very similar in design. Being able to get fried chicken via KFC set them apart. There was one in Chester on 9th street, one in Folsom on MacDade Blvd, one on Baltimoe Pike in Media and one on Rt. 452 in Aston. All PA. locations.

http://members.aol.com/jsf0864/page1.html

ernest_fl
  • Total Posts : 12
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone - Thu, 06/29/06 4:46 PM
Does anyone remember "Merry Mac's" in Atlanta? The southern style cooking there was fantastic, and their mac 'n' cheese was a headliner.

Also, "Mammie's" in Atlanta was a huge favorite, but it closed when the ACLU got on their case because of their name. The southern cookin' was marvelous.

There were several boarding houses in Atlanta not too far from the Buckhead shopping district, and their dining rooms were open to the public. They were located on Piedmont street mainly; lots of college students and faculty rented there. It was family-style seating and serving. The food was good and plentiful, and the prices were very reasonable. I've eaten some of the best biscuits in those boarding house dining rooms. They probably don't exist anymore but I could be mistaken. They were also a big hit for college students from around the area including the ramblin' wrecks from George Tech. :) The country-style fried chicken, and their country-fried steak was out of this world.

A fellow opened a steak-and-potato shop in Buckhead one time and I think he made a lot of money. There was only one entree: NY strip with loaded baked potato, and you could order a tossed green chef's salad and a soft drink. He charged $1.99 for the entree and a buck for the salad with your choice of dressing, plus a buck for a big soft drink. What a bargain in those days!

The Old Hickory Houses in Atlanta were favorites of mine, their BBQ and sauce were great. Their kitchens were open to view when you entered the place. And the smells really activated your appetite. Their Brunswick stew was something to die for. :) The original Old Hickory House on Northwest burned down (grease fire, go figure), I think in the 70's. What a loss that was.

Anyone remember Aunt Fanny's Cabin in northwest metro Atlanta? The building was constructed from some original slave quarters. I had some of the best food I've eaten right there. The menu was a blackboard hung from around the neck of young black boys who would show up at your table and proceed to rattle off their spiel of what was good that day. Also, the waiters would serenade the customers regularly, and they were really good too! Beautiful experience. Of course, the ACLU had to get involved but failed to close them down because the restaurant was just too popular. Don't you just hate the ACLU?

quazforb
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone - Thu, 09/21/06 12:36 AM
As a kid my folks would take me to das Smorgasbord in Hemet, CA. It's undoubtedly long gone, but as Hemet is a retirement community, I'm sure it has its share of replacements.

My most lasting memory was the jello that would bounce, not splat, when dropped.
quote:
Originally posted by GeoNit

Looking for a California SMORGAASBORD, hit the linky below!

http://www.solvangUSA.com

conrado
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone - Sun, 02/4/07 11:40 AM
Does anybody remember "The Wharf" restaurant that was right on the beach in "Lauderdale by the Sea" Florida? It was the last place I worked before being drafted in 1971. Folks who owned it also had a place called "The Plantation" that was further south. Great food and atmosphere, valet parking and window seats overlooking the ocean. Also a chain of pizza joints called "King Arthur's Pizza" or some such thing? Also in South Florida. I lived in an apartment over one.

Zaberer's? There were two. The one outside AC, owned by Charlie Zaberer, and one in Wildwood, owned by his brother Ed. Both featured some of the best food on the Jersey coast in the 50's and 60's, and "Zaberized" cocktails that must have been about 16 ounces. Both long gone, Ed's place having gone down hill quite a bit before succumbing to a fire (arson?) in the early or mid-nineties.

mr. sausage
  • Total Posts : 75
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone - Tue, 02/6/07 12:31 AM
There was a place called the Birdcage at Seven Corners Mall in Falls Church Virginia. When I was quite young my mom would take me there as a treat. I remember it as a kind of tea room where ladies would pause for some nourishment before resuming their shopping. What I mostly remember was the rolling dessert cart, the height of decadence for a 5 year old. The mall has since been razed and internet searches regarding the Birdcage have proved fruitless. Anybody remember it?

mjambro
  • Total Posts : 419
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone - Tue, 02/6/07 8:39 PM
Mary Mac's is still in Atlanta (224 Ponce De Leon Ave NE). It's doing well and still serves up an excellent southern style fare.

Look up GA on the roadfood.com restaurant site. I do, however, miss the Midway Restaurant (rt 9) in Alpharetta. It closed after fire a few years ago. It definately rivaled Mary Mac's (better IMO).

deeq47
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone - Fri, 02/16/07 1:08 PM
Carsons in Atlantic City NJ Fried lobster Tails . Would love recipe.

ohiosteaklover
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone - Mon, 04/9/07 1:55 PM
The Flaming Pit in the Tri-County Mall area just north of Cincinnati, Ohio. About once a month, my parents would take us there for dinner on Saturday evening. I always remember being allowed to order a "kiddie cocktail". And, after dinner, on the way out, my brother and I were allowed to pick a prize from the childrens treasure chest. Great stuff!!

blue heaven
  • Total Posts : 484
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone - Mon, 04/9/07 4:20 PM
I miss the English Room in the George Washington Hotel in Washington Pennsylvania. They used to have a smorgasbord that was delicious.

janicks
  • Total Posts : 72
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone - Mon, 04/9/07 5:14 PM
Anyone remember the Wharf in Fort Wayne IN? They had a salad bar and the Green Goddess dressing was my favorite,
Also, the dessert, Coco Moco Rum pie,
It had this toasted coconut crust and I think coffee ice crean and the whip crean and a rum sauce ,
It was also awesome, I think it was owned by the Azar family I am not sure but it was a great place.

jimmy027
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone - Fri, 04/13/07 8:04 PM
The Lums restaurant in Avon CT, the best Ollie burgers and roastbeef.
Sadly it is now a Dunkin Donuts.

wingandaprayer
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone - Tue, 05/1/07 2:15 PM
The "Spot" in Harrisburg, PA. Everybody went there after the bars closed for a hot dog or a steak sub.
Sadly, a result of urban renewal.

UCmba97
  • Total Posts : 15
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone - Wed, 05/30/07 3:23 PM
In the Tri-County area of Cincinnati, Ohio...in the early to mid 70's was an ice cream parlor and sandwich shop....trying to recall the name, but I was quite young then. When it was your birthday they wrang bells and pulled braided cords that caused whistles to go off. They had a candy shop area at the cash register on the way out. I recall the servers wearing uniforms that resembled barbershop quartet outfits, with garters on their arms, stripes on the fabric, vests and hats. Was it called Farrel's? I remember going there for birthdays when I was 7 and 8 yrs old. Wow what a place. What huge Sundae's...and those bells & whistles!!
http://www.farrellsusa.com/
Guess the concepts isn't gone, but the Cinti store is. Best birthdays as a child ever, celebrated at Farrels.

TJ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 4481
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone - Wed, 05/30/07 3:35 PM
Yes, Farrels. Long gone.

Donnyboy
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone - Mon, 06/4/07 2:51 PM
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by essvee

Oooh oooh! I just remembered one-- Valle's, a chain steak house thingee. I remember a few in New England. My great-grandparents, in Kittery, Maine, considered Valle's to be the epitome of swank, and all special occasions convocated there. It was in a mall next to a Two Guys department store, remember those?

I do not know, however, if Valle's is still around or not.

My mother and father used to go to a Valle's in West Haven, Connecticut.

My parents & grandparents and I used to go to a Valles' Steakhouse in Stratford, CT, on Lordship Blvd and yes, it was very cool....!!

Mack184
  • Total Posts : 252
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone - Tue, 06/5/07 1:21 PM
Danny's on Charles Street in Baltimore. It was my first experience in "fine dining". My aunt & uncle were both professional people with lots of money and no children, and they tended to spoil my sister & I at times. Back in the day when phone calls were a mere dime, Danny's would give you back your "dime" for making a reservation at their restaurant. When you were seated at the table, there was a little card on the table with your name, and the time of your reservation, and inside the card was a shiny new dime and a line of thanks for coming in. I still have my first Danny's card from when I was 11. The waiters [no female waitstaff allowed at that time] would make ceasar salad at your table, bring everything with a flourish as though it was a broadway production. Very heady stuff for a little guy who was still trying to figure out what all the forks were for!

LJM
  • Total Posts : 48
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone - Tue, 06/5/07 2:05 PM
I recently discovered that The Berghoff Restaurant, located at 17 West Adams in Chicago, IL, closed its doors last year after providing 107 years of excellent food and service to Chicagoians.

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15057
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone - Wed, 06/6/07 1:16 PM
LJM,
I believe the bar is still in operation with some sort of food service available. The company switched to a catering, private dining operation when it closed it's public dining facility.

I miss the old place also.

LRJordan
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone - Thu, 09/20/07 10:17 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

OK, here's another one. Ott's BBQ somewhere between Knoxville and Sweetwater. Not traditional southern bbq, but they had this wonderful hot ham that my Dad loved, and when he would take me to Knoxville to see the orthodontist we would often stop at Ott's on the way home. Does anyone remember this place? I think it is gone, but maybe not. I'm not sure exactly where it was, my Dad was known to go off the road and out of his way for good food. Thanks.

Leslie: Otts was on the west end of Farragut on Kingston Pike. The building is still there and I think their sign is still intact but I think it is gone.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

LRJordan
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone - Thu, 09/20/07 10:22 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

OK, here's another one. Ott's BBQ somewhere between Knoxville and Sweetwater. Not traditional southern bbq, but they had this wonderful hot ham that my Dad loved, and when he would take me to Knoxville to see the orthodontist we would often stop at Ott's on the way home. Does anyone remember this place? I think it is gone, but maybe not. I'm not sure exactly where it was, my Dad was known to go off the road and out of his way for good food. Thanks.

Leslie: Otts was on the west end of Farragut on Kingston Pike. The building is still there and I think their sign is still intact but I think it is gone.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Ott's BBQ in Farragut is going to re-open!!! Guessing sometime around November 2007.

DavidEMartin
  • Total Posts : 173
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone - Fri, 09/21/07 7:54 PM
Cleveland used to have four huge downtown department stores-- Sterling-Linder, the May Company, Halle Brothers, and Higbee's. And all of them had restaurants and coffee shops. My family liked to eat at Halle's and especially at Higbee's. The restaurant at Halle's was decorated as a gazebo with open white woodwork and white translucent panels giving the illusion of daylight. My younger sister liked the "Hobo Meal" which came wrapped in a red bandanna on a small bindlestiff. Inside was a hot dog, fries, and other stuff. My favorite item on the kids menu was the chicken casserole, which came in a small glass chicken. You lifted off the back and there was the serving bowl full of chicken in gravy.

Higbee's had a snack bar in the basement (just off the train station entrance), a cafeteria, a coffee shop, and the incredible Minotaur Room. The Minotaur Room was decorated in a 360 degree mural depicting scenes from Greek mythology. If you were unsure of your myths, the hostess had fliers giving a quick explanation of all the myths and people portrayed. Monday through Friday it was a full service restaurant but Saturdays the restaurant fetaured an incredible smorgasbord! It was a wonderland for a preteen like me, enabling me to both get my own food and to explore things I'd never taste otherwise, such as breaded pike balls.

janifer
  • Total Posts : 71
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone - Fri, 09/21/07 8:32 PM
quote:
Originally posted by DavidEMartin

Cleveland used to have four huge downtown department stores-- Sterling-Linder, the May Company, Halle Brothers, and Higbee's. And all of them had restaurants and coffee shops. My family liked to eat at Halle's and especially at Higbee's. The restaurant at Halle's was decorated as a gazebo with open white woodwork and white translucent panels giving the illusion of daylight. My younger sister liked the "Hobo Meal" which came wrapped in a red bandanna on a small bindlestiff. Inside was a hot dog, fries, and other stuff. My favorite item on the kids menu was the chicken casserole, which came in a small glass chicken. You lifted off the back and there was the serving bowl full of chicken in gravy.

Wow, the "Hobo Meal" and the glass chicken sound so familiar. I wonder if the Polsky's tea room in downtown Akron borrowed them or if maybe my mom/grandmom took me to Halle's ... I always wanted to go at christmas to see Mr. Jing-a-ling and we didn't so I'd think if I remember not seeing Mr. J I might remember visiting the store some other time. Ah, the memories. The Shoreway in the blowing snow on my way to Public Auditorium to see Grand Funk Railroad and another to see Neil Young (with Linda Ronstadt as the opener) are my only conscious memories of visits to Cleveland. Thirty miles used to be a whole lot farther away than it is now. Thanks for facilitating the mental trip.

ces1948
  • Total Posts : 1499
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone - Fri, 09/21/07 8:56 PM
There was a place called Aunt Fanny's Cabin outside of Atlanta (Smyrna maybe) served family style, huge restaurant and very popular. I worked as an electrician and our company got called there to fix this or that pretty often. Only ate there a few times, the specialty was fried chicken and they had a good baked squash casserole. I think it was pretty expensive.

travis
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone - Mon, 11/5/07 2:05 AM
quote:
Originally posted by pennypincher

Al Deppe's donuts on Staten Island. Wow, they were delicious.

The place was closed to make way for a new expressway back in the 1960's.

I am only vaguely aware of going to Al Deppe's - it was a long time ago and, in those days, it was a place that was "too far away" for Mom to take the kids (all the way from New Dorp Beach). There was the occasional trip on very special occasions: Birthdays, elementary school graduations. or maybe - just maybe - a stop on the way home on a Saturday night from the "farmer's market," the auction on Richmond Avenue; we didn't go out for fast food back then.

I remember it was a proto-fast-food place the kind of which is found today off the beaten path. There is a similar place on Rt.3 in Adirondack Park.

I am not sure that it was closed to make way for the highway since it was on the other side of Arthur Kill Road, where Greenridge Shopping Center is now.

Be that as it may, the pizza place at the intersection of Arthur Kill and Richmond Avenue (next to the miniature golf course) has some photos on the wall of old Staten Island including Al Deppe's and I recently read something (maybe in the S.I. Advance) that is very urban legend-ish:

The Elk's Lodge was Al Deppe's home. There was a tunnel between the restaurant and the house so that the owner could bring the day's take home without venturing outside. Since there were few people out and about after hours back then, especially since ther area was mostly swamp and airport, this would seem over cautious.

It's a nice story, though.

travis

doggydaddy
  • Total Posts : 1847
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone - Mon, 11/5/07 6:04 AM
My mom would put all of us five boys in the station wagon to take us to the Nut Tree in Vacaville, CA.
It was a fairly long drive for us but it was a fun spot. The food was unique, even for us kids, but we all loved the dessert of sliced pineapple with a marshmallow sauce. This place was at the forefront of what became California cuisine. Alas, what was new then is old hat now.
There was a little train that circled the property and a gift shop where I bought a professional grade harmonica. I was very good at making alot of melodic noise with that thing....

\http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nut_Tree_Restaurant
The place is still around in a completely different form. I am sure that there are some forum members who could chip in as to what the place is like now.

mark

sftreat
  • Total Posts : 50
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone - Mon, 11/5/07 6:28 AM
There used to be a deli in "The City By The Bay" called Herman's. They served a dutch style potato salad that had no mustard. It was pure white and had a tangy flavor that was unrivaled. My 2 brothers and I still talk about it decades after its demise.

MetroplexJim
  • Total Posts : 3704
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone - Fri, 12/28/07 7:47 PM
quote:
Originally posted by blue heaven

I miss the English Room in the George Washington Hotel in Washington Pennsylvania. They used to have a smorgasbord that was delicious.

My goodness, what a memory flash your post created. My parents made me put on my Sunday suit and took me there to celebrate my first day in Mrs. Corwin's East Washington kindergarten class (1952). Before their smorgasboard days they were strictly "white linen" fine dining and this was my first such experience. I had a shrimp cocktail appetizer, fried shrimp for my entre, baked Alaska for dessert, and Coke with cherry syrup (a volante!) to wash it all down. WOW!!!

MetroplexJim
  • Total Posts : 3704
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone - Fri, 12/28/07 8:06 PM
quote:
Originally posted by CoastFan

While certainly not roadfood as such, the best restaurant I've ever been to was in a little western PA town (Gallitzen) called Eurculini's. It was in the basement of a house, but the family owned business served meals beyond compare.

You could be stuffed by the various antipasti and other offerings brought to the table, before dinner was even ordered. On one trip (back in the mid 1960's) my younger brother who was about 10 at the time, wanted ravioli. They didn't have it on the menu, but the onwer said he'd make some up, He made from scratch a large batch of the best cheese filled raviolis you could imagine.

The place was expensive, but well worth it. (In the late1960's, the fixed dinner price was $10, which was a lot of money back in those days.)

Back in the early 1980's, I was in Portland, OR, visiting the parents of a woman I was dating at that time. He was a retired engineer who had attended RPI in upstate NY, and had lived all over the world on various assignments. Naturally, the discussion got around to food. He started to say that the "best restaurant he had ever been to was in a small Western PA town called...". Before he could say the name, I blurted out "Eurculini's!". He was shocked to say the least that two guys in Portland OR would both consider a restaurant in a small WA PA town, as the best they had ever been to.

If anyone else has memories of this place, which I understand has been closed for some time now, I'd like to hear them.

They advertised so much (and so well) - especially on the Bob Tracey show on KDKA - that I, as a kid, begged my parents to take me there. Wow! It was fantastic, better than Johnny Garneau's "Golden Spike" (which in its own right was pretty damn good)!

buffetbuster
  • Total Posts : 9774
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone - Sat, 12/29/07 12:02 AM
MetroplexJim-
Thanks for mentioning Johnny Garneau's Golden Spike. I haven't thought about that place for years.

As a kid, we always got to choose what restaurant we wanted to eat at for our birthday, and I always chose Johnny Garneau's, so I could get their fried shrimp. I miss the place!

HollyDolly
  • Total Posts : 1065
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone - Wed, 01/2/08 10:49 AM
I remember Gino's from when we lived in Maryland.My dad was stationed at Fort George Meade for the AirForce cause he was working at NSA.We also would hit the Hot Shoppes quite often.
There was some steakhouse we would eat at,but I can't remember it's name.

I remember here in San Antonio,Youngblood's Fried Chicken,near the Witte Museum on Broadway.
There was the TeePee Steakhouse on Austin Highway.It was a restaurant attached to the Tee Pee Motel
which was a chain of motels with the cabins built in the shape of native american teepees.
In fact,www.texasescapes.com has a photo of a restored TeePee Motel in Wharton County, I think in Hungerford,but not sure right now.
There was also Captain Jim's also on Austin Highway,where we would drive to to buy great fried fish.

lanfarm
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone - Mon, 02/18/08 4:40 PM
quote:

quote:

Oooh oooh! I just remembered one-- Valle's, a chain steak house thingee. I remember a few in New England. My great-grandparents, in Kittery, Maine, considered Valle's to be the epitome of swank, and all special occasions convocated there. It was in a mall next to a Two Guys department store, remember those?

My mother and father used to go to a Valle's in West Haven, Connecticut.

lanfarm
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone - Mon, 02/18/08 4:43 PM
quote:

Change Page: < 1234567 > | Showing page 6 of 7, messages 301 to 360 of 391