"Big Sandwich"... original, and ideas for embellishments

Mosca
  • Total Posts : 2929
  • Reward points : 0
"Big Sandwich"... original, and ideas for embellishments - Wed, 11/10/10 11:23 AM
The original: I don't want to cut and paste it here, because it's at a food magazine website, so I'll link it. This sandwich looks damn good.

Big Sandwich

Now, there is a lot more you can do with this. Here are some things I think might make a great sandwich of similar construct:

Bacon
capicola
ham
roasted red pepper
kalamata olives
marinated mushrooms or artichoke hearts
swiss cheese
provolone cheese
onion
spinach
tomato

All on a similar loaf of french bread, or sourdough.

OK, let's have it; what would YOU do?

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17815
Re:"Big Sandwich"... original, and ideas for embellishments - Wed, 11/10/10 11:39 AM
Well, for starters I'd not slice up the round loaf for layering. I'd do the muffaletta thing.

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
Re:"Big Sandwich"... original, and ideas for embellishments - Wed, 11/10/10 11:59 AM
Heating it up doesnt appeal to me. And I would skip the bacon.I guess that sandwich just doesnt grab me.I much prefer a muffaletta with Italian meats and cheeses, lettuce, tomato, onion, olive salad,olive oil and oregano all on a good crusty bread.

ALLGOOD
  • Total Posts : 167
Re:"Big Sandwich"... original, and ideas for embellishments - Wed, 11/10/10 12:01 PM
I would add boiled egg.

joerogo
  • Total Posts : 4463
Re:"Big Sandwich"... original, and ideas for embellishments - Wed, 11/10/10 12:10 PM
Mosca, No french fries?

I would downsize the slices of bread so I can get a good bite into it.

chewingthefat
  • Total Posts : 6093
Re:"Big Sandwich"... original, and ideas for embellishments - Wed, 11/10/10 12:45 PM
Pastrami
Corned Beef
Caeser salad dressing
Thin slices of a garlic pickel sliced lengthwise
Utz chips on the side
Maybe a beer or 6

Mosca
Re:"Big Sandwich"... original, and ideas for embellishments - Wed, 11/10/10 12:58 PM
I like the muffaletta idea, but then it would be a different sandwich... it would be a muffaletta. I'd do that, I love muffalettas, but I'm trying to riff on this idea instead. I can get the olive relish/paste at Wegman's, that would be pretty good I think.  Boiled egg is a good idea.

Chewy, good corned beef and pastrami is hard to get around here, it's available but dear. But yeah, that would be good.

wheregreggeats.com
  • Total Posts : 4530
Re:"Big Sandwich"... original, and ideas for embellishments - Wed, 11/10/10 1:51 PM
I'd like to take a run at it -- but without so much b-r-e-a-d !!!

Mosca
Re:"Big Sandwich"... original, and ideas for embellishments - Wed, 11/10/10 3:22 PM
wheregreggeats.com

I'd like to take a run at it -- but without so much b-r-e-a-d !!!

My first thought was to address that by upping the meat quotient!

BillyB
  • Total Posts : 2851
Re:"Big Sandwich"... original, and ideas for embellishments - Wed, 11/10/10 3:37 PM
I would find a way of layering this sandwich as to have a different taste for every layer. One layer could be Italian, One American, one layer Greek. That way each layer could be eaten in a normal size, less bread with a different array of ingredients...............The Best Bill

MellowRoast
  • Total Posts : 1931
Re:"Big Sandwich"... original, and ideas for embellishments - Wed, 11/10/10 4:23 PM
I'd go for it minus the horseradish!

chewingthefat
  • Total Posts : 6093
Re:"Big Sandwich"... original, and ideas for embellishments - Wed, 11/10/10 5:03 PM
Also I'd substitete Tzatziki for the mayo and Feta for the American, not to mention a layer of sliced lamb.