Smokestack Lightning

brisketboy
  • Total Posts : 1055
  • Reward points : 0
Smokestack Lightning - Thu, 11/11/10 10:49 AM
I was just wondering if anyone besides me has read Smokestack Lightning by Lolis Eric Elie and enjoyed it as much as I did?

BuddyRoadhouse
  • Total Posts : 4074
Re:Smokestack Lightning - Thu, 11/11/10 1:13 PM
I've got a hard cover first edition purchased back in 1996.  I loved it and learned from it.  It now holds a cherished place on my bookshelf.

Buddy

seafarer john
  • Total Posts : 3481
Re:Smokestack Lightning - Thu, 11/11/10 3:39 PM
I've got the hardcover purchased on Amazon about 10 years ago, and it is one of those books that is never let out of my library lest it is forgotten to be returned. It is the single best book ever written about the quest for great BBQ. I just now took it down off the shelf and can't wait to reread it - thanks, brisketboy, for the reminder.
Cheers, John 

seafarer john
Re:Smokestack Lightning - Tue, 11/16/10 2:17 PM
As compared with most writing about food, Smokestack Lightning reaches the level of literature. It is a book in which you can take pleasure in the writing itself beyond the subject of traveling throughout the south in search of good BBQ. Elie ranks right up there with MFK Fisher and Calvin Trillin as a food writer.   I know we have a number of literary minded members here on Roadfood - I highly recommend the book to them if they have not already discovered it.

Cheers, John 

brisketboy
  • Total Posts : 1055
Re:Smokestack Lightning - Wed, 11/17/10 1:54 PM
Seafarer John, I have another book albiet not quite the literary work of Smokestack but it also is an interesting read. It's called Peace Love and Barbeque, I think it's by Mike Mills and he also speaks highly of Calvin Trillin. I think I will try to find some of his works.

BuddyRoadhouse
Re:Smokestack Lightning - Wed, 11/17/10 6:08 PM
You'll like Calvin Trillin.  He is one of our great humorists, whether he is writing about food, politics, or characters in his New York neighborhood.  He also has tremendous talent as a serious writer.  Pick up a copy of "Killings" or "Remembering Denny" for that aspect of his work.  "American Fried", Alice Let's Eat", and "Third Helpings" (also known as his "Food Trilogy") for his more humorous and food related musings.

Buddy

Gyp
  • Total Posts : 155
Re:Smokestack Lightning - Sat, 11/20/10 2:34 AM
BuddyRoadhouse

You'll like Calvin Trillin.

"Tepper Isn't Going Out", a fiction book which would fall into the "characters in his New York neighborhood" category,  was very funny.

BuddyRoadhouse
Re:Smokestack Lightning - Sat, 11/20/10 1:34 PM
That's one I haven't read.  Thanks for the tip!

Buddy

RibDog
  • Total Posts : 593
Re:Smokestack Lightning - Sat, 11/20/10 4:05 PM
Yep, one of the best.  I was fortunate enough to get a signed first edition too.  It is definitely one of my favorite bbq cookbooks and never gets lent out.

Some other titles you might like are Hog Heaven, North Carolina Barbecue/Flavored By Time, and Serious Pig.  You might have a hard time finding Hog Heaven as it was published back in 1979 and only one printing was ever done.  Also, Serious Pig covers more than just Barbecue but is an excellent foodie type book.

John

seafarer john
Re:Smokestack Lightning - Mon, 11/22/10 2:27 PM
There's a nice little appreciation of Mosca's restaurant near New Orleans by Calvin Trillin in this week's New Yorker.

Cheers, John 

jgillis57
  • Total Posts : 8
Re:Smokestack Lightning - Tue, 01/11/11 9:35 PM
Will have to pick that up and do a lil reading....