Hot!Canned Steak and Kidney pies and canned steak pies

Cheeseburger
2010/11/15 07:13:30
Back around the 70's we used be able to buy these canned pies whch had very good flakey crust(like filo dough)
I have found Fray Bentos Pies on the internet but no source in the United States
Has anyone found a source here?
mar52
Sirloin
Re: Canned Steak and Kidney pies and canned steak pies 2010/11/15 09:13:25
https://www.englishporkpi...y.com/distributors.htm

Hope they're as good as you remember.
mar52
Sirloin
Re: Canned Steak and Kidney pies and canned steak pies 2010/11/15 09:15:10
Woops, I didn't notice the pork part.

mar52
Sirloin
Re: Canned Steak and Kidney pies and canned steak pies 2010/11/15 09:17:10
http://www.ukgoods.com/ma...-kidney-pie-p-583.html

But this one isn't in a can.  Try calling one of these US importers and maybe they can help you.

I once bought a steak and kidney pie.  I baked it, broke the crust to peek inside and promptly tossed it.  It scared me.
post edited by mar52 - 2010/11/15 09:25:32
FriedClamFanatic
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Canned Steak and Kidney pies and canned steak pies 2010/11/15 13:01:36
Yeah....I remember the ones you mean.............and searched and searched about a yr ago................Bentos was all I could come up with........Thought they'd be great for cruising on a boat
MellowRoast
Re:Canned Steak and Kidney pies and canned steak pies 2010/11/15 13:44:09
Wow, those Fray Bentos pies look great!  I love to buy some!
MellowRoast
Re:Canned Steak and Kidney pies and canned steak pies 2010/11/15 20:01:23
According to my friends at British Food Shop, the Fray Bentos meat pies cannot be brought into the country.  I'm surprised to hear that since other imported canned products are.   Are you as surprised as I am?
drummagick
Cheeseburger
Re:Canned Steak and Kidney pies and canned steak pies 2010/11/15 21:43:43
They can't?  This place says ships around the world and you can
convert the prices into US dollars.

Those pies do look good!  I'd love to try a couple.  The prices aren't bad either.

http://www.britsuperstore...g/Fray_Bentos_Pie.html
MellowRoast
Re:Canned Steak and Kidney pies and canned steak pies 2010/11/15 21:56:53
Yes, I'm familiar with the Brit Superstore, but USA-based British Food Shop said the canned meat pies are a no-go.  I buy my wonderful Lea & Perrins from them. 
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Canned Steak and Kidney pies and canned steak pies 2010/11/15 22:43:36
Is your Lea & Perrins different than mine?
MellowRoast
Re:Canned Steak and Kidney pies and canned steak pies 2010/11/15 23:17:25
The UK-made Lea & Perrins Worcestershire (produced in the city of Worcester) is a different recipe than it's American counterpart.  Everyone has their own taste, but in my opinion, it has a richer, smoother flavor.  Ingredients:  Malt Vinegar (from Barley), Spirit Vinegar, Molasses, Sugar, Salt, Anchovies, Tamarind Extract, Onions, Garlic, Spice, Flavoring. 

Trivia:  The American product is labeled The Original Worcestershire Sauce, but the UK product is labeled The Original & Genuine.

post edited by MellowRoast - 2010/11/15 23:22:40
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Canned Steak and Kidney pies and canned steak pies 2010/11/15 23:55:15
Thanks,  I'll have to check Cost Plus to see if they have it.

I like it on Liver with fried onions and mashed potatoes.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Canned Steak and Kidney pies and canned steak pies 2010/11/16 00:27:14
mar52

I like it on Liver with fried onions and mashed potatoes.

Who cares, as long as it has anchovies. But on liver and onions? I'll take my liber and onions -- and mashed potatoes --  with gravy, please.

mar52
Sirloin
Re:Canned Steak and Kidney pies and canned steak pies 2010/11/16 00:36:05
I've never had gravy on liver and onions.  I do like my gravy so that also sounds interesting.

I may have to save the L&P for my gumbo.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Canned Steak and Kidney pies and canned steak pies 2010/11/16 00:40:55
Think sauce, as opposed to gravy. There's a place here called Cap City Fine Diner where the Wednesday special is Provimi calves liver and onions, and the sauce is a velvety, luxurious exeprience that makes one crave more and more.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Canned Steak and Kidney pies and canned steak pies 2010/11/16 01:00:29
Wednesdays?
MellowRoast
Re:Canned Steak and Kidney pies and canned steak pies 2010/11/16 02:37:46
The Worcestershire on liver & onions sure sounds great to me.
MellowRoast
Re:Canned Steak and Kidney pies and canned steak pies 2010/11/16 06:17:00
drummagick:  Well, you're technically correct!  Just got a response after posing the question to Brit Superstore:

Hello,

We do ship these pies to the USA daily and about 1 in every 100 parcel is stopped by customs and destroyed. If you order it is at your own risk.

Regards,
Richard Price,
http://www.britsuperstore.com
agnesrob
Re:Canned Steak and Kidney pies and canned steak pies 2010/11/16 07:20:13
My husband and I used to eat these steak & kidney pies all the time. I was able to buy them at Macy's of all places and at a local supermarket. I miss them!
MellowRoast
Re:Canned Steak and Kidney pies and canned steak pies 2010/11/16 07:42:44
I'd sure like to try them.  A shelf-stable meat pie in a convenient baking can is one heck of a great concept.  I've never heard about it until now.
drummagick
Cheeseburger
Re:Canned Steak and Kidney pies and canned steak pies 2010/11/16 16:52:26
MellowRoast

drummagick:  Well, you're technically correct!  Just got a response after posing the question to Brit Superstore:

Hello,

We do ship these pies to the USA daily and about 1 in every 100 parcel is stopped by customs and destroyed. If you order it is at your own risk.

Regards,
Richard Price,
http://www.britsuperstore.com

Huh.  I'd take the risk.  That would be a nice addition to preps, you could bake them in a cast iron camp oven in the midst of the apocolypse.

:D
mics
Junior Burger
Re:Canned Steak and Kidney pies and canned steak pies 2011/01/14 00:49:09
there is a super market in everret,on hywy99 just at the muck cutoff that stocks meat pies from england,and also sells the sausage
7echo
Junior Burger
Re:Canned Steak and Kidney pies and canned steak pies 2011/06/05 23:53:41
Heartburn, I think you mean Tyne brand meat pies. I have been craving them, but they must be out of business, I can't find them anywhere. They were in a metal can the size of a pie tin, you cut off the top and baked them in the can, beautiful puff pastry on top and meaty goodness underneath. IIRC, they had steak & mushroom, steak & kidney, steak & onion, and also Cornish pasties, two meat filled turnover kind of things in the same can. I would love one right now, they were really good. They were common in West L.A. and Santa Monica (lots of ex-pats) when I was in college (late 1970's), I remember even  finding them in a liquor store once. The Fray Bentos ones don't look as good.....
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Canned Steak and Kidney pies and canned steak pies 2011/06/06 02:04:30
Apparently the FDA doesn't think the products are up to snuff old chap:
 Importing Food Products into the United States
Under provisions of the U.S. law contained in the U.S. Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act, importers of food products intended for introduction into U.S. interstate commerce are responsible for ensuring that the products are safe, sanitary, and labeled according to U.S. requirements. (All imported food is considered to be interstate commerce.) FDA is not authorized under the law to approve, certify, license or otherwise sanction individual food importers, products, labels or shipments. Importers can import foods into the United States without prior sanction by FDA, as long as the facilities that produce, store or otherwise handle the products are registered with FDA, and prior notice of incoming shipments is provided to FDA. Imported food products are subject to FDA inspection when offered for import at U.S. ports of entry. FDA may detain shipments of products offered for import if the shipments are found not to be in compliance with U.S. requirements. Both imported and domestically-produced foods must meet the same legal requirements in the United States
emjayay
Junior Burger
Re:Canned Steak and Kidney pies and canned steak pies 2013/02/09 13:13:10
The Fray Bentos canned pies are now available through Amazon. They ship from England. Maybe 1 in 100 get seized as reported above? Anyway, they are almost $13 a piece. I bought some at Sainsbury's in Pimlico, which I brought back with me (!) the last time I was in London, about 3 years ago. Like an Amazon commenter said, you can buy 4 or 5 of them at a supermarket in Britain for the price of one imported one. They had variations like chicken and mushroom, etc. But they were more like $2 - $3 a piece. They were even on sale! They certainly aren't worth any $13.
I used to buy them at Cost Plus in San Francisco in the 70's. When Cost Plus turned into a chain they morphed the name into World Market. Similar concept to the original, but not as relatively cheap and not prone to find unusual imports and buy a ton of them cheap. But then the import market is a lot different now. Back when there was only one store was before containerized shipping. The original store probably started as a warehouse outlet for an import company. Anyway, I'm pretty sure World Market doesn't have these babies these days, and if they did they wouldn't be London prices like they were back in the day.

The pies I bought at Sainsbury's were just like the ones in the 70's. Lots of fat and salt and greasy flaky puff type pastry. But fun. I baked each one and ate maybe half or less of it with a lot of vegetables for a dinner. Still way over my usual fat and salt for one meal! Maybe some cottage cheese added for lowfat rather than really high fat protein!
post edited by emjayay - 2013/02/09 13:44:32
kevincad
Cheeseburger
Re:Canned Steak and Kidney pies and canned steak pies 2013/02/09 13:27:35
mar52

I've never had gravy on liver and onions.  I do like my gravy so that also sounds interesting.

I may have to save the L&P for my gumbo.

Oh, you MUST have gravy with your liver and onions!!! I fry my onions down well in a little oil, then fry my dusted calves liver in said oil, then drain all but a tablespoon or two of the oil, mix in some flour, stir up the brown bits, then thin with milk or water. Heaven!!!!
emjayay
Junior Burger
Re:Canned Steak and Kidney pies and canned steak pies 2013/02/09 13:42:05
More research. You can check out what they have for delivery at Sainsbury's without putting in a post code and registering or anything. The larger size Fray Bentos canned steak and kidney pies (475 g, supposed to be two servings) are 2 pounds 19, or $3.46 at Sainsbury's. At Amazon, $12.40! Smaller ones are on sale right now at Sainsbury's for one pound, or $1.58. Not sure what size the ones I bought the last time in London were.
post edited by emjayay - 2013/02/09 13:48:10
Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Canned Steak and Kidney pies and canned steak pies 2013/02/09 13:55:45
Have always used Worcestershire on liver. The news about the English formula was intriguing. Will have to track some down.
Re:Canned Steak and Kidney pies and canned steak pies 2013/02/09 17:53:20
A steak and kidney pie will taste that much better when eaten in a solid wood kitchen that cost only £595.
Kyurt
Junior Burger
Re:Canned Steak and Kidney pies and canned steak pies 2013/03/08 04:26:22
@ Mics (junior burger) Do you know the name and more exact location info of the supermarket in Everett WA that stocks british meat pies in tins so that I may call them and ask what they've got? Is the "Muck" turnoff the Mukilteo Speedway?

Thanks, steak & kidney pie addict in dire need
post edited by Kyurt - 2013/03/08 04:33:36
dhrosier
Junior Burger
Re: Canned Steak and Kidney pies and canned steak pies 2014/07/07 15:07:28
Build it.  There are many good recipes for Steak & Kidney pie on the net.  Let your taste buds help you choose one.

Yes, this item is more work than most but the result can be well worth it, especially if you are willing to express your creative side.  This is an ethnic dish which is done many different ways so do not spaz trying to find the perfect formulas.

Fray Bentos product is good and certainly much easier than cooking your own, but I do like more meat content than they give and I like to be able to have the crust flaky and with an herb mixed into it sometimes.  Also home made is a lot less expensive so long as you do not include any hourly rate for your time.

Having said all of that, I have two tins of FB in the kitchen which I will have once the weather cools a bit.