Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island

Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 73
ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Wed, 12/29/10 12:24 PM (permalink)
Not only pretty food, but a very pretty girl!!

kishkaeater

• Total Posts: 102
    Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Wed, 12/29/10 12:30 PM (permalink)
    Those Rambuttan are certainly interesting looking.

Did you partake?

BillyB

• Total Posts: 2851
      Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Wed, 12/29/10 3:01 PM (permalink)
      The Rambuttan are Lychee nuts and yes I taught my little girl how to open and eat. She thought he taste was between a strawberry and a Kiwifruit

mamaduck43

• Total Posts: 184
        Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Wed, 12/29/10 7:57 PM (permalink)
        I used to pit the lychee, make a thinned cream cheese with pineapple juice and chopped mac nuts and would stuff the lychee - - fantastic chilled.... 

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4463
          Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Wed, 12/29/10 8:10 PM (permalink)
          BillyB, Looks like you are having a great time in paradise.  Great pics, especially the Little Angel.

Sorry to hear Barack stole the beach on you  But, national security comes first.

mamaduck43, I would drop one of them right into a glass of chilled vodka

BillyB

Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Wed, 12/29/10 8:24 PM (permalink)
            We went to the Flea Market for a while and then drove over to Giovanni's Shrimp truck on the North shore, Two plates of the Garlic shrimp, Rice, lemon wedge and lemon butter dipping sauce and I was in heaven. This is a fun must stop on your trip around the island. My little Mollie even put her name on the truck along with the other million names. The two girls in the truck along with the guy are great fun and full of Aloha.

P.S. Make sure everyone in the car eats the Garlic or they may just walk home. There is a water faucet behind the truck, us it or your hands will be garlicky sticky for the trip home.

mar52

• Total Posts: 7599
              Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Wed, 12/29/10 9:35 PM (permalink)
              Those shrimp look luscious.

Curbside Grill

• Total Posts: 3916
                Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Thu, 12/30/10 12:59 AM (permalink)
                BillyB you know me hit and miss anymore. Love the pic's. Keep them coming. 
                Garlic smells of good health.

<message edited by Curbside Grill on Thu, 12/30/10 1:05 AM>

BillyB

Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Thu, 12/30/10 11:27 AM (permalink)
                  MamaDuck...... We used to serve the stuffed lychee for catering parties when I worked here.

Annpeeples.... Thank you, shes my pride and joy.

Mar52........The shrimp were good and the garlic reminded me of how good they were the rest of the day.

joerogo..........The little princes practiced snorkeling in the pool yesterday, she is ready for the big time today.

Curbside..(mikey) If Garlic is good for you, I had a years worth yesterday. I loved every minute of it............
                  <message edited by BillyB on Thu, 12/30/10 11:29 AM>

SFS Fan

• Total Posts: 58
                    Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Sat, 01/1/11 5:03 AM (permalink)
                    Billy B - I heard that the latest food fad to hit the islands is something called the "Puka Dog" and that a local chain by the same name have popped up in Honolulu, Oahu and Koloa, Kaua'i.  I was wondering if you happen to see one if you'd be willing to give them a try and let us know if it is worth going to or not?

Big Frank

• Total Posts: 134
                      Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Sat, 01/1/11 10:04 AM (permalink)
                      Great trip report.  My wife and I are always looking for new places to try when we travel to Hawaii.

Nancypalooza

• Total Posts: 3778
                        Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Sat, 01/1/11 5:51 PM (permalink)
                        Great pictures BillyB!  Don't go anywhere!

BillyB

Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Mon, 01/3/11 4:25 PM (permalink)

Hot Malasadas and a must when your in Hawaii, they are hot out of the fryer, tossed with either sugar or cinnamon
                          Mahi Mahi Plate lunch from Zippy's

Short ribs with Mahi Mahi

BBQ chicken

The Plate lunches can be found all around the Island, I liked Rainbow Drive inn the best. THis is a great place to stop for breakfast and the plate lunch can be had about 9am. I was showing a lot of plate lunches because this is the way the local eat. Plenty of food for the price of a Full meal deal at any fast food  burger place.
                          I leave you with this sunset in Hawaii, and thanks to all who viewed this and may find it helpful in their vacation. If I can be of any help to anyone please contact me.................Bill

Tony Bad

Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Mon, 01/3/11 4:27 PM (permalink)
                            Looks like that boat is sailing away from, and not toward the sunset. Hope that is the case with you as well Billy.

Thanks for a great report.

joerogo

Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Mon, 01/3/11 4:44 PM (permalink)
                              Thank You Tony. 

kishkaeater

• Total Posts: 102
                                Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Tue, 01/4/11 12:19 PM (permalink)
                                Is it bad that I like those boxed lunches?

Happy to see your trip continue.  

joerogo

Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Tue, 01/4/11 1:00 PM (permalink)
                                  Very nice Hawaiian trip report billy.  And not one smarta$$ comment about a Lei? 

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                                    Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Tue, 01/4/11 1:01 PM (permalink)
                                    I guess I don't understand plate lunches and stryo boxes. Nice photos though BillyB! Thank you for taking us along!

BillyB

Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Wed, 01/5/11 12:43 AM (permalink)
                                      Kland01s.....The plate lunch is a local Hawaiian thing, I don't know what the thing is with the stryo, but they all do it.

Joerogo......At this stage of the game I'll take a Lei any place I could get it. That makes Hawaiian boy happy............Thanks again Joe......Bill

Kish.......The plate lunches at some of the better places are real good food. The Rainbow drive in with the Shoyu Chicken was one my wife was looking forward to. I can tell you we will not be eating rice for a long time.

Tony B.............I had to laugh a few times when I watched the sunset with my little girl. I looked out and saw the sunset boat cruises that I used to cater to 30 years ago as a Catering Steward. It felt like my life went  full circle.

NancyP........I took the Picture of the Shoyu Chicken for you.
                                      <message edited by BillyB on Wed, 01/5/11 12:46 AM>

Nancypalooza

• Total Posts: 3778
                                        Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Wed, 01/5/11 8:19 AM (permalink)
                                        Thank you BillyB!  Sometimes a picture really helps.  So I have another question--I've always been curious about the macaroni salad and rice sides of a plate lunch.  Did those catch on to boost up the food mass/calorie content of a lunch because produce is expensive in Hawaii?  That always seems counterintuitive to me but then I guess most of the local produce in Hawaii is fruit.  Or am I thinking too much about it (entirely possible for me)?

BillyB

Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Wed, 01/5/11 1:30 PM (permalink)
                                          Nancypalooza

Thank you BillyB!  Sometimes a picture really helps.  So I have another question--I've always been curious about the macaroni salad and rice sides of a plate lunch.  Did those catch on to boost up the food mass/calorie content of a lunch because produce is expensive in Hawaii?  That always seems counterintuitive to me but then I guess most of the local produce in Hawaii is fruit.  Or am I thinking too much about it (entirely possible for me)?

Hi Nancy, I'm not sure how the Macaroni thing got started. I do know all the plate lunches get two scoops of rice and one scoop of Macaroni salad and your entree. The Rainbow Drive- in was known for their combo plate, Mahi Mahi, BBQ pork or beef , Boneless chicken, Rice and choice of Macaroni salad or Cole slaw for $7.25...How can you beat that to keep those big Hawaiians happy.....................Bill

mamaduck43

Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Wed, 01/5/11 1:47 PM (permalink)
                                            When I was driving tour buses in Hawaii, we used to describe the plate lunch and then tell the folks that in Hawaii, we don't eat until we are full - - we eat until we are tired...  One disappointment that I had while living there was the cost and quality of the produce...  The only vegetable that Hawaii produces enough of to fill its needs is cabbage - - even things that are prolific in the Islands have to be supplemented by imported goods...  Also, I believe that the make-up of the typical plate lunch stems from the times when the sugar and pineapple workers took home lunch to work with them - - mostly left overs or planned leftovers and rice, mac/potato salad were great accompaniments to the meat/sauce/gravy thing....  I miss the diversity of even a plate lunch spots menus...  And the food trucks that appear all over the place at lunchtime (even right next to the State Capitol and Honolulu Hale (city hall) have great eats.....
                                            Billy - - - I am thoroughly enjoying the report and the photos are tear-worthy...  My Hawaiian grandkids - who left there about 7 years ago sat here and drooled over the Rainbow and Zippys photos...  Sigh.....

BillyB

Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Wed, 01/5/11 2:04 PM (permalink)
                                              Mamaduck, The thing I noticed at the restaurants was, all the Beverage was expensive. We had breakfast at the original pancake house, the breakfast special was $4.10 and the coffee was $2.25, juice $2.50 and so on. We had two breakfast specials for $8.20 and 4 bev for over $10. WE checked the milk price at Wal-Mart $4 per gal, not bad. The problem with the prices being high in Hawaii is, everything has to be shipped in. I found a lot of bargain restaurant food items on the island, you just need to look..................Follow the locals........I learned that in Italy.....................The best ...............Bill
                                              <message edited by BillyB on Wed, 01/5/11 2:06 PM>

Play27

• Total Posts: 113
                                                Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Thu, 01/6/11 12:38 PM (permalink)
                                                Love the report. Plate lunches are similar to the meat and three, just served in styro. Curious-what is spaghetti with weenie? I'm afraid i know but thought I would ask.
                                                <message edited by Play27 on Fri, 01/7/11 10:58 AM>

BillyB

Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Thu, 01/6/11 1:39 PM (permalink)
                                                  Play27........I didn;t see anyone eating the spaghetti and weenie, but I could only imagine. We had many of these plate lunches for breakfast and only had two meals a day. These meals are made to fill a person up for awhile.........................Bill

junk250

• Total Posts: 24
                                                    Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Tue, 01/11/11 3:55 AM (permalink)

peppertree

• Total Posts: 301
                                                      • Location: Austin(Brooklyn guy), TX
                                                      Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Fri, 12/2/11 11:00 AM (permalink)
                                                      Tried around four or five different Honolulu "drive-ins" and found my favorite.  http://www.newdinersdrivein.com/  They have a larger menu than others and everything I ate was good, inexpensive (for Hawaii) and portions were large. They also have an adjoining ice cream stand with tasty soft ice cream. On my first visit, cones were unbelievably $1.50 but three days later they raised the price to $2.00 for a cone.  Still a good deal.  The main drive-in is open 24/7.

I hope some of you can visit and consider this drive-in for future consideration as a restaurant of note in Hawaii on your maps.

Also try a loco moco sandwich anywhere in Honolulu and let me know where you think the best one is served. 

<message edited by peppertree on Fri, 12/2/11 11:02 AM>

mamaduck43

Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Fri, 12/2/11 4:21 PM (permalink)
                                                        Peppertree - - - I kept looking at the photo of New Diner's and I kept thinking - - "It looks familiar, but something is not right"....  So, I went further into their website and discovered that it was a place that we went to all the time....  Of course, it was just "Diners" then, and it was painted white....  The orange and green is kind of wild....  The little strip mall that runs next to and behind it has a few good neighborhood type Chinese / Korean / Barbeque places, too...  We could send one person out for dinner for our whole office and he would be able to park and run around and please everyone....

My daughter visited Oahu a couple of months ago for 3 weeks and survived on all of her old favorites - - her first morning on Island, she called me from Windward Mall - - I told her to look out towards St. Anne's and see if the Leonard's Malasada truck was parked there...  I got an immediate, "Gotta go!!!!" from her and a "MMmmmmmmm"  a few minutes later....  Too funny....  She got her fill of manapua and pork hash, too....  I was so jealous.....

kennyb

• Total Posts: 374
                                                          Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Tue, 03/20/12 9:41 AM (permalink)
                                                          had yo go to Oahu a few weeks ago as my daughter who is in college there got hit riding her scooter. she is getting better and i'm back home now. we did manage to eat at many local places but can't seem to remember them all. did go to puka dog, good, alittle doughy but good. that was the only time i saw the beach. didn't go to the rainbow drive in but saw it and the line was out the door. one night one of her roomies mom brought plate dinners from a place on school street that i can't remember the name of. it was on one of the tv shows though. it was hawaiian pork, which was good, chicken wrapped in leaves. didn't care for the leaves but chicken was good. she also brought a thing of poi, not so good and bright green coconut squid thing. just ok. another roomies brought me a poke bowl one night. it was good and spicy. liked it. did get cocoa puffs from leonards, very good. the girls really took care of us while we were there. sorry i can't remember all the places names but it wasn't vacation. it was 8 days in the hospital. one day, outside the hospital, there was a farmers market and a couple restaurants set up selling food. very good curry dishes.  

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2236
                                                            • Location: Kennewick, WA
                                                            Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Tue, 03/20/12 10:15 AM (permalink)
                                                            Kennyb, happy to see you had a good trip, hope your daughter is doing well. The traffic on Oahu is crazy, there are to many cars on the island. The restaurant on School st is Helena's Hawaiian food, it doesn't get much more local than that. The Chicken may have been Lau Lau  Chicken, wrapped in Taro leaves, tied at the top and steamed. ....Take care.........................Bill

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 73

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com