Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island

Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 61 to 73 of 73
kennyb

• Total Posts: 374
Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Tue, 03/20/12 2:02 PM (permalink)
thank you Bill. yes, very crazy traffic. it was Helena's and yes, it was lau lau chicken. it was actually about a block away from where my daughter was hit. she is doing well, has a ways to go for recovery though. we are planing on going out in November so hopefully it will be a better trip than everyday all day at the hospital. 

Aloha Mike

• Total Posts: 3
    Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Wed, 06/20/12 4:54 PM (permalink)
    Good stuff in this thread!

Recommendation if you're in Honolulu and willing to venture away from Waikiki (e.g. going west toward Helena's): drop by Liliha Bakery, have a meal, and sample the baked goods. They're known for their "coco puffs" (a local favorite that rivals Leonard's malasadas in popularity).

Mike

EliseT

• Total Posts: 2849
      Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Wed, 06/20/12 7:26 PM (permalink)
      Oh man, I was supposed to go to Honolulu for a workshop but couldn;t afford airfare. I wanted to try Cozy Dogs and macadamia nut M&Ms. Great pics!

Aloha Mike

• Total Posts: 3
        Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Wed, 06/20/12 8:52 PM (permalink)
        EliseT

Oh man, I was supposed to go to Honolulu for a workshop but couldn;t afford airfare. I wanted to try Cozy Dogs and macadamia nut M&Ms. Great pics!

Elise -- I can't post links yet, but when you're back in Honolulu, also consider giving Hank's Haute Dogs a try (they're in Waikiki and Kakaako).

Mike
        <message edited by Aloha Mike on Wed, 06/20/12 9:25 PM>

kennyb

Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Sat, 11/24/12 10:00 PM (permalink)
          i'm back in Oahu, ate some great food but still looking for more great places or dives to eat at. any one have any thing new to try? any waterfront dives here? having fun with the daughter for the holiday. i'll post some pictures later.
          puka dog is no longer on oahu. now it is hula dog, a divorce thing they said.  

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
            Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Sat, 11/24/12 10:47 PM (permalink)
            Wish my wife had seen this thread before a trip to hawaii last year. She could not find a lot of places she liked.

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2245
              Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Sun, 11/25/12 9:04 AM (permalink)
              Aloha, you lucky dog..............Check out the hot dog place down town...Hanks Haute Dog.......

Teddy's Burgers.....I go to the one on Beretania, but there may be one closer to you Good burgers made to order, good fries, great shakes...Nuff Said

Nico's is my go to place for Fish & Chips, Fish Sand, Ahi, all kinds of fresh fish and if someone doesn't like fish they have some chicken and beef plate lunch. Nico's build a bigger restaurant, its a block away from the old one, at Pier 38

Take your daughter for a nice ride to the north shore, stop at the Shrimp truck, bring some wet wipes, the garlic shrimp are messy.
              Rainbow drive in, is still my favorite place for Shoyu Chicken. Check their web site for days they have it, Roast Pork is also good..........then to Leonards for some Hot Malasadas, both on Kapahulu ave
              Have fun..........don't come back

ChinaTown in Down Town Honolulu..........Look for a store front window that has Crispy pork and Char sui pork, this is a good place just for a snack while walking around..............Fong's meats is another one for crispy pork ....you will see a few different places for pork around China Town............Chinatown also has a food court that isn't for everyone, they offer a lotof good looking foods, but its not for everyone, expect the unexpected.
              This is a real Roadfood, curbfood, backalleyfood kind of food court......Fun place.........Chinatown is  a place to pick up crispy pork, steam buns, and then stop at a bakery, make it your own Dim Sum adventure..........
              <message edited by pnwchef on Sun, 11/25/12 9:38 AM>

nalogirl1

• Total Posts: 2
                Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Sun, 11/25/12 3:44 PM (permalink)
                On Sand Island, there is a spot called La Mariana.  It has cute decor and is right on the marina.  You can sit outside or inside and eat.  For a quick lunch stop and enjoy the waterfront, head to Sand Island's La Mariana

nalogirl1

• Total Posts: 2
                  Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Sun, 11/25/12 3:46 PM (permalink)
                  I second Mike's recommendation.  Liliha Bakery and Coco Puffs.  You can't go wrong!  If you head to the Swap Meet around Aloha Stadium to shop, you can buy some malassadas there and try them.  But Coco Puffs only at Liliha Bakery. 

kennyb

Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Tue, 11/27/12 12:41 AM (permalink)
                    PNW, thanks for the Nico's tip. been there several times already. they have a new place that is pretty fancey. i probably would have liked the old one better. been to about everywhere else everyone entioned except rainbow which has been closed all week. not sure why, the parking lot has been chained shut all week. all the trucks on northshore are fantastic. wish i had one of my trailers here, i would of vended here. my daughter would of killed us but who cares. 
                    nalogirl1, we are going to the swap meet this wed. been to leanerds already for malassades and to liliha for cocoa puffs. but, if malassades are there, i'll have some. aloha, kenny
                    <message edited by kennyb on Tue, 11/27/12 12:44 AM>

JackHunter

• Total Posts: 1
                      Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Tue, 11/27/12 12:48 AM (permalink)
                      Nice tips,I would like to have an Trip once over their.

mamaduck43

• Total Posts: 184
                        Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Tue, 11/27/12 1:36 AM (permalink)
                        Kenny - - per Rainbow's Face book page, they closed on Thanksgiving and reopened today - - they were cleaning and painting....  I guess they have expanded their menu a bit, and they publish their daily specials on FB - - I seek out their posts and eat my heart out - - especially when they post food photos!!!!  I miss that place so much.....

kennyb

Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Tue, 11/27/12 12:10 PM (permalink)
                          thanks mama, will be stoping by and eating. probably after i wait in line. but worth it.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                            Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 61 to 73 of 73

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                            • No New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                            • Read Message
                            • Post New Thread
                            • Reply to message
                            • Post New Poll
                            • Submit Vote
                            • Post reward post
                            • Delete my own posts
                            • Delete my own threads
                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com