Allen and Sons-Durham, NC

Cheeseburger
2010/12/22 16:08:56
I've been in NC 10 years now. Came here from the deep south with roots in Texas and Memphis. Cooked competetive BBQ in Memphis for 8 years. I've been trying to love Carolina BBQ ever since I came. Saturday I realized it just wasn't going to happen. I was in Durham for a diving tournament at Duke with my daughter. We took the opportunity to stop at Allen and Sons on the way home as I was thinking that maybe some magic would happen and they would have the first NC BBQ I could say I really love. Nope. Although advertised as wood smoked, not a hint of smoke in my chopped BBQ sandwich. Decent pork flavor, no smoke. Vinegar sauce. Straight vinegar with a little black pepper. Hand cut fries were really good. I don't have to go back.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Allen and Sons-Durham, NC 2010/12/22 16:27:46
Play27

Your experiences sounds identical to my experience at Lexington #1 BBQ earlier this year.

Although it's been nearly 2 years since I enjoyed Allen and Sons, there was plenty of smoke in my Q as evidenced by the smokey aroma when I entered the Parking lot
phatphil
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Allen and Sons-Durham, NC 2010/12/22 16:52:50
i go to the north columbia area of south carolina yearly, do you guys consider maurices bbq real bbq? its a few blocks from my father n law by fort jackson and the only bbq i ever ventured to up there.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Allen and Sons-Durham, NC 2010/12/22 16:55:17
phatphil

i go to the north columbia area of south carolina yearly, do you guys consider maurices bbq real bbq? its a few blocks from my father n law by fort jackson and the only bbq i ever ventured to up there.

Not really, but if anything  it's good for a South Carolina bbq fix if you go  during the week when most of the "reall bbq" places are closed
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Allen and Sons-Durham, NC 2010/12/22 17:04:32
Play27,
You need to try the places on the NC BBQ Society's Historic Trail
http://www.ncbbqsociety.com/trail.html

http://www.ncbbqsociety.com/
Play27
Cheeseburger
Re:Allen and Sons-Durham, NC 2011/01/03 11:54:15
I have been to several of the places on the trail (Stamey's, Lexington, etc) and I find them all to be remarkably similar. It's just not for me.
Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Allen and Sons-Durham, NC 2011/01/03 12:42:02

If this means anything, I am an eastern NC BBQ fan, and I was sorely disappointed by Allen & Son.   Instead of just a little vinegar to enhance the flavor, it was sopping wet with vinegar, which made it mushy, and the vinegar overpowered everything, including any smoke flavor.   At least the Brunswick stew was good.         Play 27  -  Have you tried Parker's BBQ in Wilson, NC?  Another good one with NC-style BBQ is D&H BBQ in Manning, SC.   Yes, NC style in parts if SC. 

post edited by Glenn1234 - 2011/01/03 12:45:23