Fried Fish Correlated With Regional Increases of Strokes

DawnT
  • Total Posts : 1286
  • Reward points : 0
Fried Fish Correlated With Regional Increases of Strokes - Fri, 12/24/10 1:57 AM
Story today has been the correlation of eating fried fish 2x/wk with the elevated risk of stroke concentrated in a southern geographic area that doesn't incude Fl. That I find odd as there is probably more fried fish eated in Fl then any other state. IIRC, James Beard and the former publisher of the Miami Hearld; Alvah Chapman both made the historical case that the concept of fried fish originated in Key West & Cuban hotels and quickly spread throught the state. The Key West method was based on a pancake/beer batter that caught on. I'm just wondering why Fl doesn't have the same CVA risks. 

Curbside Grill
  • Total Posts : 3916
Re:Fried Fish Correlated With Regional Increases of Strokes - Thu, 12/30/10 4:32 PM
Here in the area you refer to upper half of AL.,MS. and Lower part of Tn. can draw a big circle around the area. It is not just eating Fried Fish twice a week. It is there lifestyle. Moved here 8 years ago and I can say that I see the way they eat and sit and eat adds to the problem. Fried everything. If it is a veggie they fry it or add so much pork products to the mix that the Dietary Monitors fly of the scale. Fried fish, fried chicken , Biscuits(lard),Fried corn, fried vetetables of every type and fried anything. Meat and Three is big here for lunch or you can get 4 veggie plate for the same. There is more meat in the vegetables plate than on a meat and three. Sounds funny, but true. Then you take the elixer of the South, Sweet Tea. I am not talking holidays, this is everyday. Sodium galore,Fats thru the roof and three sodas and many sweet tea's a day.
Dare I say more.
<message edited by Curbside Grill on Thu, 12/30/10 4:33 PM>

i95
  • Total Posts : 2500
Re:Fried Fish Correlated With Regional Increases of Strokes - Thu, 12/30/10 8:11 PM
DawnT

Story today has been the correlation of eating fried fish 2x/wk with the elevated risk of stroke... 

Scientific journals have also made a correlation between eating fried fish twice a week and an increase in fish deaths.

6star
  • Total Posts : 4388
Re:Fried Fish Correlated With Regional Increases of Strokes - Thu, 12/30/10 9:06 PM
i95

DawnT

Story today has been the correlation of eating fried fish 2x/wk with the elevated risk of stroke... 

Scientific journals have also made a correlation between eating fried fish twice a week and an increase in fish deaths.

I think the journals' correlation is just based on hearsay instead of hard evidence.  You know how those parrotfish will just talk...and talk...and talk!