Hot!1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 10 of 16
Junior Burger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2012/08/24 14:30:22
Im going to do as much LP as possible because my on board smoker from "cookshack" is 1000W by itself!!
These finished trucks im looking at have vents but no fire suppression and the evidently pass inspection.
Is a three compartment sink mandatory and a hand sink?
Rollin Smoke
Junior Burger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2012/08/24 14:30:23
Im going to do as much LP as possible because my on board smoker from "cookshack" is 1000W by itself!!
These finished trucks im looking at have vents but no fire suppression and the evidently pass inspection.
marco226
Cheeseburger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2012/08/24 15:48:03
YEA i saw that one. my gerator box is not wide enough for that or any rv generator. i have the lengh and the hight the width. i have 21 inches front to back.
all the larger generators are 22.3 or better. i think i will have to do what MOFOOD did in his truck. put my 3 bay sink on top of the existing box and put the water tanks in side the box.

reese77
Double Cheeseburger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2012/08/24 16:35:10
Rollin Smoke

3 compartment sink and separate hand sink....mandatory pretty much everywhere.
Rollin Smoke
Junior Burger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2012/08/24 16:57:47
What about fire suppression?
marco226
Cheeseburger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2012/08/24 17:00:19
Rollin Smoke

you have to ask your local heath department or your fire masrshal.
every state and counties are differant.
sharkii's
Hamburger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2012/08/24 22:52:04
The best tip I have gotten is to become friends. With the health inspector and fire marshal. They can answer most of your questions and if they are not sure they will guide you in the right direction at least in what I have experienced.
BTM676
Cheeseburger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2012/08/25 01:03:21
marco226

Rollin Smoke

you have to ask your local heath department or your fire masrshal.
every state and counties are differant.

HAHA I still waiting/want to know who our fire marshal is. lol
Rollin Smoke
Junior Burger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2012/08/25 10:01:20
I found a local guy selling a '95 P30 that needs a head gasket, but has a new tranny and wheel barings. He wants 2,500 for it. Is that a good price?

BTM676
Cheeseburger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2012/08/25 10:08:18
I dont think thats a bad price at all. i payed 1800 for mine. Most trucks are selling in the 4 range. Just make sure there is no other engine damage/needs.
Rollin Smoke
Junior Burger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2012/08/25 10:09:35
oops..forgot i cant post a link yet.
could someone look at this and give me some input.
its on CL in raleigh NC
cars and trucks
search "commercial" and its white with red stripes
posted Aug. 23rd for $2500
Thanks guys
Ryan
marco226
Cheeseburger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2012/08/25 10:15:26
hey Mike i did speak to the fire Marshal in honesdale a couple months agp.
he had no idea i do not think you need one in pa. we have to ask our freind at the HD.
Rollin Smoke
Junior Burger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2012/08/25 10:57:15
just found out that P30 needs a starter and a battery along with the head gasket just to be cranked. So i think im going to pass.

BTM676
Cheeseburger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2012/08/25 22:38:14
marco226

hey Mike i did speak to the fire Marshal in honesdale a couple months agp.
he had no idea i do not think you need one in pa. we have to ask our freind at the HD.

Hey marco! Yeah there is to much gray area about food trucks up here for them to care/know anything about. Lucky Us!!!! Just the HD and Insurance companies are what we have to go by.
hrthomas
Junior Burger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2012/08/25 22:54:49
I am selling my project truck or willing to trade to a decent full size pick up...

When I got the P30, head gaskets were blown, so I had the heads redone. Almost have it all back together..

Rear slide up door needs work. I was going to take it out and install swinging doors.

Asking 3000.00

If you would like pics, let me know. Hrthomas775@gmail.com

Ryan
kougs8
Junior Burger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2012/08/25 23:16:46
What a great thread!!!
I am trying to replicate reese77's window awning configuration.
I can't find thin aluminum channel like what it seems he has used for framing the cut out window hole on the actual truck wall.
The metal wharehouse stores only have pretty thick walled channel.....and I also checked Rona and home depot as well as I tried to google it!!
anybody, have any hot tips???

reese77
Double Cheeseburger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2012/08/26 10:11:39
kougs8

What a great thread!!!
I am trying to replicate reese77's window awning configuration.
I can't find thin aluminum channel like what it seems he has used for framing the cut out window hole on the actual truck wall.
The metal wharehouse stores only have pretty thick walled channel.....and I also checked Rona and home depot as well as I tried to google it!!
anybody, have any hot tips???

I ordered from orangealuminum.com
reese77
Double Cheeseburger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2012/08/26 15:54:43
Added lower access door for future battery bank. Need to build metal frame/box to house the batteries and inverter.

Installed final exhaust fan and tested. Still need to frame the outside of the exhaust fans.

OurCoffeeTruck
Hamburger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2012/08/30 00:49:24
reese,   your thread is awesome!!! and slightly discouraging LOL. We just started building (demoing and repairing mechanical stuff mostly) our own coffee truck and it has been so exciting reading through your thread. There is so much valuable stuff in here! The discouraging thing is, I already felt behind schedule and want to be open by the fall. " />  Not sure how feasible that is going to be. I think it's going to take a little more time than i thought. lol

I probably will find info about my question somewhere on the forums, but in thinking about my power needs I thought about batteries and inverters being good idea. I don't know much at all about electrical, but I really want to learn. before i found this forum i was thinking about the idea, but now that i found others talking about the same thing i'm pumped. Is there a website or some really good, helpful info about generators/batteries/inverters that would help me in my power decision making? Thank you so much

post edited by OurCoffeeTruck - 2012/08/30 00:54:17
reese77
Double Cheeseburger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2012/08/30 01:59:49
OurCoffeeTruck.

Glad you like the thread, do not get discouraged. It can be done before the fall (in my opinion) as long as you have the time to devote to it.

In regards to inverters/batteries, I am still learning myself. From my thread you can read that I was initially using a generator but due to the noise, I am now leaning toward batteries and an inverter. I will likely get my inverter from theinverterstore.com. I sent an email to their tech support, which is actually at aimscorp.net, since the inverter store is just a reseller. I explained what I was trying to do and the rep said to call him. I will call tomorrow and post what he suggest.
OurCoffeeTruck
Hamburger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2012/08/30 02:19:16
Definitely post! Will be looking forward to it.
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2012/08/30 05:48:53
Great Pics and it's obvious your making headway, good for you.
Where did you get your door?
jack
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2012/08/30 07:24:11
reese77  I sent an email to their tech support, which is actually at aimscorp.net, since the inverter store is just a reseller. I explained what I was trying to do and the rep said to call him. I will call tomorrow and post what he suggest.

Reese, maybe you could suggest to the tech support guy that they write a how to and post it online? I know it would have to be somewhat generic, but if RF is any indication the need is there and it would be a big help to many others.
reese77
Double Cheeseburger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2012/08/30 10:46:54
Dr of BBQ

Great Pics and it's obvious your making headway, good for you.
Where did you get your door?
jack

door
Rollin Smoke
Junior Burger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2012/08/30 11:26:40
Is that access going to be big enough? Will the batteries be on a sliding rack that pulls out?
staffgill
Junior Burger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2012/08/30 12:40:54
New to the forum, but have enjoyed reading and seeing your progress reese77.  You've done some great work and given me some ideas, especially for the awning.  I'm in the research stage at the moment, but have a truck picked out, 1979 Chevy P30, with 14 feet cargo space behind the driver's compartment.  I've already downloaded, read and re-read the HD regulations, and made contact with the county and city HD's.  My biggest question at the moment, for anyone, how are you handling the Commissary requirement?  I'm in a small town and the closest full-up running commercial kitchens, setup to serve as commissaries, are in Birmingham, about an hour away.  Any suggestions, thoughts, ideas, would be appreciated.  The HD said I should befriend a local restaurant and ask them to sign the agreement.

Other questions, regarding your build:

1.  Are you installing an "Air door/Air curtain" above the awning opening?  Everything I've read seems to require either a screen or an air curtain to abate flies and insects, and even if not required, the opening allows the cool air out, and the air curtain keeps it in.  Like you, I prefer the opening rather than a window, but hate the idea of more electric draw with the air curtain.  I do plan to use your awning design, even if I decide to put in a window, but I plan to make it at least twice the size of the window to provide more shade and cover for customers.  Do you see any drawback there?

2.  Following the thread, you installed a fan-tastic powered roof vent, plus the two hood exhaust fans, and the A/C unit.  Is this a HD requirement?  I know the hood exhaust is, but it seems like the A/C would refresh/rotate the air, and the fan-tastic roof vent would remove all the cool air.  Are they working against each other?

3.  How did you paint your truck?  You did a nice job, and from the pictures, it looked like a professional job.  Did you use a commercial sprayer?

On a final note, I'm diggin your thread man...good read and so informative.
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2012/08/30 13:54:34
The HD said I should befriend a local restaurant and ask them to sign the agreement.

That's neat that they would go along with a local restaurant and all they really want is a signature. Your very lucky. There isn't any one on RF that wouldn't jump on that.
jack
reese77
Double Cheeseburger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2012/08/30 14:50:29
Rollin Smoke

Is that access going to be big enough? Will the batteries be on a sliding rack that pulls out?

The compartment will be 4' long and about 1.5' deep. The opening is plenty big and I have  a second door that I will be installing right next to this one. So there will be 2 doors to access the batteries. The height of the compartment is about 17", plenty of space for everything.
reese77
Double Cheeseburger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2012/08/30 15:08:45
staffgill,

1. I am will be installing a retractable awning on the serving side of the truck for added shade and rain coverage. I will be building a plexi glass window for inside the awning and the center glass will slide up and down.

2. The A/C and hood vent could work against each other but I need both as Atlanta can get hot and humid. I will not have the fantastic vent open if AC is on. The AC will likely not be used unless it is really hot, most of the time I will have the fantastic vent open for extra light and air flow.

3. I had a body work guy come out and paint onsite. He owns a paint shop but used a special paint that dried quick so he could do it onsite. Cost me $800 or so, can't remember.

Glad you like the thread.
staffgill
Junior Burger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2012/08/30 15:17:35
Dr of BBQ

The HD said I should befriend a local restaurant and ask them to sign the agreement.

That's neat that they would go along with a local restaurant and all they really want is a signature. Your very lucky. There isn't any one on RF that wouldn't jump on that.
jack

It's not that easy Dr of BBQ.  For one, put yourself in the restaurant owner's shoes.  Someone, a stranger, approaches him/her and asks them to sign an agreement stating that the food trucker can park the truck overnight at the location, make use of the restaurant's three stage sink and mop sink, cold and dry storage equipment, fresh water supply, waste disposal, etc.  If I was a restaurant owner, I probably wouldn't sign it, unless I got enough money to make it worth my wild.  So how do I get a commissary without paying an arm-and-a-leg?  Without a commissary secured, at least a verbal agreement, it's senseless for me to press forward with a truck build.  One of the other forums suggested I contact the local VFW, since many have kitchens.  The HD only requires that a commissary be a currently licensed/permitted commercial kitchen.  The VFW hasn't answered the phone yet and I'm not even sure they have a kitchen.  Just wish I could find an easy answer...anyone???
staffgill
Junior Burger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2012/08/30 15:30:50
reese77, that's a good idea with the vent fan and I didn't think about that.  It gives you more options.  I'm in Alabama, so same hot and humid weather, and the more options the better.  I'm going to add the vent fan to my list of must-haves.  Are you having the same problem I'm having in finding a commissary?  I've got two full-time commissaries in Birmingham, but it's an hour from the house.  I'd hate to have to operate out of Birmingham, but might not have a choice.  This is the only snag I've found so far.  I get the whole commissary idea, but I can setup a facility in my garage that would be twice as clean and sanitary as probably 95% of the commercial kitchens in operation right now...bummer.
reese77
Double Cheeseburger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2012/08/30 15:47:58
staffgill

reese77, that's a good idea with the vent fan and I didn't think about that.  It gives you more options.  I'm in Alabama, so same hot and humid weather, and the more options the better.  I'm going to add the vent fan to my list of must-haves.  Are you having the same problem I'm having in finding a commissary?  I've got two full-time commissaries in Birmingham, but it's an hour from the house.  I'd hate to have to operate out of Birmingham, but might not have a choice.  This is the only snag I've found so far.  I get the whole commissary idea, but I can setup a facility in my garage that would be twice as clean and sanitary as probably 95% of the commercial kitchens in operation right now...bummer.

Initially I was going to convert my second garage in the basement to a kitchen and use it but since I have a bedroom in the basement and other layout issues, I would have had to install a second septic tank.

Where I live outside of Atlanta it is much easier to have a kitchen approved as a commissary compared to Atlanta. I spoke to people at the HD and I can use a local church, restaurant kitchen, etc. I have a friend who has a small restaurant so I partner with him and use his kitchen.
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2012/08/30 16:04:02
staffgill It's not that easy Dr of BBQ.  For one, put yourself in the restaurant owner's shoes.  Someone, a stranger, approaches him/her and asks them to sign an agreement stating that the food trucker can park the truck overnight at the location, make use of the restaurant's three stage sink and mop sink, cold and dry storage equipment, fresh water supply, waste disposal, etc.  If I was a restaurant owner, I probably wouldn't sign it, unless I got enough money to make it worth my wild.  So how do I get a commissary without paying an arm-and-a-leg?  Without a commissary secured, at least a verbal agreement, it's senseless for me to press forward with a truck build.  One of the other forums suggested I contact the local VFW, since many have kitchens.  The HD only requires that a commissary be a currently licensed/permitted commercial kitchen.  The VFW hasn't answered the phone yet and I'm not even sure they have a kitchen.  Just wish I could find an easy answer...anyone???

Maybe I read more into your post than was there. I thought the HD was just saying "Hey we just need a signature on this forum. " with a wink and a nod.

I have heard of HDs doing that knowing your taking your truck home at night and have all the equipment on board to clean your utensils, pots and pans and can get water anywhere. But your saying that's not the case?

Well have you looked at the cost of two trips to the  commissary you already have lined up? You leave home go to the commissary, pick up the truck drive back to the commissary and then drive home. You said it was what 100 miles? Wow the gas is going to kill you if your driving 200 miles a day to and from work plus another (how many miles) to get to your location to sell. And nothing worse than a long trip home after working your tail off all day. If you figure the gas your time you could most likely pay more for a local commissary, no? And a VFW is a good idea.
staffgill
Junior Burger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2012/08/30 16:25:48
Dr of BBQ, you hit the nail on the head.  It's that loose thread that you pull and the whole garment falls apart.  I just made several calls and as it turns out, one of those commissaries is no longer in business and the other will only accommodate a hotdog cart when it opens in three months.  He might have plans to expand to food trucks but he's not sure.  My only other option, aside from partnering with a restaurant, put in a building at the house with plumbing, etc., that meets the code.  My wife is already against the idea of a food truck so this won't help any...she's a hard-headed German from T-Town, Illinois, south of you.
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2012/08/30 16:37:26
a hard-headed German.......well above all else you need to keep the peace in your home. Your sure your HD wasn't giving you the nod to do what ever it takes to get you open right? I have heard of small HDs just looking the other way about some stuff as long as the paper work looked good.
Curb Hopper
Hamburger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2012/08/30 21:24:50
As a newb to the site, I have to say thank you to all of it's contributors. Getting ready to start a build of my own, this place has already been a great resource.

And reese, your thread is awesome!!
kingofcreams
Cheeseburger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2012/08/31 10:31:24
staffgill

Dr of BBQ

jack

It's not that easy Dr of BBQ.  For one, put yourself in the restaurant owner's shoes.  Someone, a stranger, approaches him/her and asks them to sign an agreement stating that the food trucker can park the truck overnight at the location, make use of the restaurant's three stage sink and mop sink, cold and dry storage equipment, fresh water supply, waste disposal, etc.  If I was a restaurant owner, I probably wouldn't sign it, unless I got enough money to make it worth my wild.  So how do I get a commissary without paying an arm-and-a-leg?  Without a commissary secured, at least a verbal agreement, it's senseless for me to press forward with a truck build.  One of the other forums suggested I contact the local VFW, since many have kitchens.  The HD only requires that a commissary be a currently licensed/permitted commercial kitchen.  The VFW hasn't answered the phone yet and I'm not even sure they have a kitchen.  Just wish I could find an easy answer...anyone???

Am I missing something? The health dept in Minnesota only requires a commisary if you don't have 3 comp sinks etc. Do health dept else where actually require commisaries even though you'll have all the necessary equipment to be licensed as a mobile food unit / mobile kitchen or arent you planning on putting all that stuff in your build? Just curious
post edited by kingofcreams - 2012/08/31 10:32:26
reese77
Double Cheeseburger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2012/08/31 10:45:10
kingofcreams
Am I missing something? The health dept in Minnesota only requires a commisary if you don't have 3 comp sinks etc. Do health dept else where actually require commisaries even though you'll have all the necessary equipment to be licensed as a mobile food unit / mobile kitchen or arent you planning on putting all that stuff in your build? Just curious

Here in GA you have to have 3 compartment sinks and everything else on board and still need a commissary where you will store food, prep and clean and store your truck overnight. I know that the truck will basically be a kitchen on wheels but you still need a brick and mortar fixed kitchen to call home.
staffgill
Junior Burger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2012/08/31 11:54:57
kingofcreams

staffgill

Dr of BBQ

jack

kingofcreams, it's hard to believe, I know, but in my research I've found that Alabama, and every other state I assume, requires that a food truck have a commissary.  A commissary is defined as a brick-and-mortar commercially licensed kitchen permitted by the health department.  It can be an individual restaurant, church, VFW, etc, but the kitchen has to be permitted and the permit must remain current.  If the restaurant loses its permit, so does the truck.  Some states offer large kitchens, and multiple caterers/food truck vendors rent a space in the kitchen.  I've researched several state codes, just to see if Alabama was clueless, but all of them required a commissary.  Not only do you have to have a commissary, but you're supposed to park the truck there every night, re-provision your truck from the commissary to include fresh water, waste and waste water removal, mop sink, utensil sanitizing, dry and cold food storage, etc.  This is all inclusive, even if your truck has a three sink setup with a separate hand-wash sink.  They don't make it easy, and I still haven't found a solution for me.  I'm going to call around to the local restaurants today and see if someone will sponsor me as a commissary.  Oh, and in addition, you're required to have the address of the commissary, in one inch letters, on your truck.  This is an Alabama requirement, but most likely applies everywhere else.  So, my hook; I'll put the restaurant name on my truck, in say 4 inch letters.  They get free advertising and I get a commissary.  Don't know if this will work, but wish me luck.
staffgill
Junior Burger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2012/08/31 12:06:20
I think they require a commissary to keep vendors from storing, prepping, preparing food at personal residences.  If you don't have a commissary, most likely at the end of the day you'll go home and transfer your cold/frozen goods to a personal fridge/freezer, wash the utensils in a personal sink, etc.  Lots of issues with cross-contamination when you start doing that.  Not to say most vendors don't do it anyway...
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2012/08/31 12:24:49
kingofcreams
I'm with you in Illinois if you have the right equipment in your truck or trailer you are a  restaurant.
kingofcreams
Cheeseburger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2012/08/31 12:50:09
staffgill

kingofcreams

staffgill

Dr of BBQ

jack

kingofcreams, it's hard to believe, I know, but in my research I've found that Alabama, and every other state I assume, requires that a food truck have a commissary.  A commissary is defined as a brick-and-mortar commercially licensed kitchen permitted by the health department.  It can be an individual restaurant, church, VFW, etc, but the kitchen has to be permitted and the permit must remain current.  If the restaurant loses its permit, so does the truck.  Some states offer large kitchens, and multiple caterers/food truck vendors rent a space in the kitchen.  I've researched several state codes, just to see if Alabama was clueless, but all of them required a commissary.  Not only do you have to have a commissary, but you're supposed to park the truck there every night, re-provision your truck from the commissary to include fresh water, waste and waste water removal, mop sink, utensil sanitizing, dry and cold food storage, etc.  This is all inclusive, even if your truck has a three sink setup with a separate hand-wash sink.  They don't make it easy, and I still haven't found a solution for me.  I'm going to call around to the local restaurants today and see if someone will sponsor me as a commissary.  Oh, and in addition, you're required to have the address of the commissary, in one inch letters, on your truck.  This is an Alabama requirement, but most likely applies everywhere else.  So, my hook; I'll put the restaurant name on my truck, in say 4 inch letters.  They get free advertising and I get a commissary.  Don't know if this will work, but wish me luck.

Wow well I certainly wish you luck!! I do understand what a commisary is and it's function. I can say for sure that Minnesota and Wisconsin arent that way. And according to the Doc of BBQ.) neither is Illinois. If I was you I would go to a church and offer weekly donations in exchange. Also, I wouldn't even bother putting in 3 comp sinks or anything but absolute minimum if I had to have a commisary.
I do also understand that people COULD wash or store food at their house but I for one wouldn't. Why would I want to add all that extra moving of stuff around. It's hard enough work just stocking the rig from the Sysco truck. LOL.  Theres just too much regulation going on in my opinion.

Good Luck anyway though!!
staffgill
Junior Burger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2012/08/31 15:18:21
kingofcreams, thanks and I agree with you...too much regulation.  Unfortunately, I still have to have the three compartment sink and everything else even with a commissary.

reese77, just thinking ahead about the awning.  Would like to try and build a fiberglass unit about 2 or 3 times the size of the serving window, sort of like the trucks on the food truck race.  Did you do any cost comparison when you built the aluminum frame and foam awning.  Guessing that's probably a lot cheaper than fiberglass, even if I glass it out myself.
OurCoffeeTruck
Hamburger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2012/08/31 18:42:09
I hope that I don't have to go the whole commissary route. I don't think I will because I'm Not prepping food, just selling drinks. But I guess we'll see. It frustrates the heck out of me that government bureaucrats have so much controll. If we don't reverse course, the regulations will eventually stifle out all entrepreneurial spirit. The regulations will be so great that people won't even bother trying to start a business like this. Sigh. I could rant all day.
OurCoffeeTruck
Hamburger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2012/08/31 19:13:47
Btw Reese have you heard from the rep? Any info on that would be great.
reese77
Double Cheeseburger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2012/09/01 13:37:01
staffgill

kingofcreams, thanks and I agree with you...too much regulation.  Unfortunately, I still have to have the three compartment sink and everything else even with a commissary.

reese77, just thinking ahead about the awning.  Would like to try and build a fiberglass unit about 2 or 3 times the size of the serving window, sort of like the trucks on the food truck race.  Did you do any cost comparison when you built the aluminum frame and foam awning.  Guessing that's probably a lot cheaper than fiberglass, even if I glass it out myself.

I didn't compare cost. So are you going to make the awning totally out of fiberglass? What is going to be in the center, what will be your form/mold?
reese77
Double Cheeseburger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2012/09/01 13:38:35
OurCoffeeTruck

Btw Reese have you heard from the rep? Any info on that would be great.

I kept missing the guy, I would call and he wasn't there, he would call and my cell was upstairs and I was outside, etc. I finally got him on the phone, but I was driving on the highway and told him I would call back which now means I will talk to him on Monday. I am going to Battery Plus today to see if I can get some help.
reese77
Double Cheeseburger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2012/09/01 22:42:13
Picked up my LP steam table and while there I found a 24" LP griddle on sale now I just need to get my 12" char broiler.

staffgill
Junior Burger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2012/09/02 10:15:53
reese77

I didn't compare cost. So are you going to make the awning totally out of fiberglass? What is going to be in the center, what will be your form/mold?

I was thinking a foam core, formed to create a curved lib on both edges.  The lip would be reinforced with aluminum used to secure the hinges.  I hadn't priced it out yet though.
reese77
Double Cheeseburger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2012/09/03 21:19:00
Cut steam table to fit, secured tables to floor and wall. My father-in-law started building/welding the box for batteries and inverter.

post edited by reese77 - 2012/09/03 21:20:49
Curb Hopper
Hamburger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2012/09/03 22:18:22
Great build. At this point, how far out are you from doing business are you projecting?
reese77
Double Cheeseburger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2012/09/03 22:49:41
Curb Hopper

Great build. At this point, how far out are you from doing business are you projecting?

Thanks. I am bidding on a char broiler online now (Ebay) and should win it tomorrow, I am trying to buy a sandwich prep table locally, hopefully this week. I have electrical work being done on the truck and based on the current mechanics schedule, he will probably take another 2 weeks to complete the work. I am waiting to talk to the tech support guy about the inverter and battery setup before I buy the equipment. I will talk to him tomorrow and then will order the inverter and batteries.

I am trying to line up another contractor to install my LP lines and Ansul system. Other than that I have a few small jobs such as wrapping up the plumbing which I redid 3 times and some trim work. The truck wrap will be the last thing I do and will take about 2 days for them. So as soon as I can get the electrical done and LP lines installed, I think I will have an additional two weeks of work.

My goal is to be up and running by end of Oct.
Curb Hopper
Hamburger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2012/09/03 23:43:29
reese77

Curb Hopper

Thanks. I am bidding on a char broiler online now (Ebay) and should win it tomorrow, I am trying to buy a sandwich prep table locally, hopefully this week. I have electrical work being done on the truck and based on the current mechanics schedule, he will probably take another 2 weeks to complete the work. I am waiting to talk to the tech support guy about the inverter and battery setup before I buy the equipment. I will talk to him tomorrow and then will order the inverter and batteries.

I am trying to line up another contractor to install my LP lines and Ansul system. Other than that I have a few small jobs such as wrapping up the plumbing which I redid 3 times and some trim work. The truck wrap will be the last thing I do and will take about 2 days for them. So as soon as I can get the electrical done and LP lines installed, I think I will have an additional two weeks of work.

My goal is to be up and running by end of Oct.

INCREDIBLE man.  I can't wait!

OurCoffeeTruck
Hamburger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2012/09/03 23:55:48
Wow very exciting. I just bought windows, flooring, and wall board today. My first purchase for the actual building of the truck and I just can't wait to start building! I think I'm going to start a thread sometime tomorrow.
OurCoffeeTruck
Hamburger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2012/09/04 00:03:26
Oh and too bad I couldn't have found Your thread when you started, I may have been able to offer some advice on the plumbing. That's the profession I'm trying to get out of with this coffee truck. Because Being a plumber ain't all it's cracked up to be.
(pun intended) lol
reese77
Double Cheeseburger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2012/09/04 00:23:25
OurCoffeeTruck

Oh and too bad I couldn't have found Your thread when you started, I may have been able to offer some advice on the plumbing. That's the profession I'm trying to get out of with this coffee truck. Because Being a plumber ain't all it's cracked up to be.
(pun intended) lol

Cool, can't wait to see your build thread and pics. Yes, I could have used some plumbing advice early on but live and learn... Ha, nice pun... A coffee truck should be an easy build and if your not planning on cooking and only serving pre-wrapped ready for retail products then you should not have to go through all the health department regulation.
OurCoffeeTruck
Hamburger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2012/09/04 00:36:47
That's what i'm hoping. The coffee shops in my area dont need HD unless they're a cafe. Some can legally even sell toasted and dressed bagels and other small items without HD. Will be calling various depts tomorrow (later today) just to make sure though.
Oh and btw went to my first rodeo in Durham NC yesterday. 45 trucks and it was sweet! Can't wait to get in on the fun.
Curb Hopper
Hamburger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2012/09/04 01:31:37
OurCoffeeTruck

(pun intended) lol

Haha.  I'll take you up on that offer for advice when the time comes.  I'm hoping to keep it simple but I'm sure I'll still need help!

staffgill
Junior Burger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2012/09/04 09:28:37
reese77, the truck is looking good.  Are you planning to work the truck full time or just as a part time gig?

ourcoffeetruck, I know what you mean.  I worked as a plumber's helper out of high school and it wasn't for me.
BigChoksHOTBUNS
Junior Burger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2012/09/04 13:59:13
Reese,
Just wanted to say thanks for posting such a great thread and keeping it updated...your build has really helped us make the right decisions moving forward with our P30.

Good luck getting ready for the big show!

BC
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 10 of 16