1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 2 of 16, messages 61 to 120 of 948
nwcw2001
  • Total Posts : 35
  • Reward points : 0
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build - Thu, 05/26/11 1:08 AM
You might want to check out this company. It is a bit cheaper, signsupply.com

smoklahoma
  • Total Posts : 3
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build - Thu, 05/26/11 10:26 AM
I am working on a 1980 p30 right now thanks for all the good info...keep it up.

reese77
  • Total Posts : 508
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build - Fri, 05/27/11 3:34 PM
nwcw2001

Hey Maurice, do you have a link to that Ebay Store?

Yup. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eB...PageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Gilj
  • Total Posts : 46
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build - Sun, 05/29/11 11:48 PM
What type of hot water heater, electric or propane.  Where did you purchase?
Great looking build.  Wish I had the talent.

reese77
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build - Mon, 05/30/11 1:03 AM
Gilj

What type of hot water heater, electric or propane.  Where did you purchase?
Great looking build.  Wish I had the talent.

Electric. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006GVO12

chefbuba
  • Total Posts : 1953
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build - Mon, 05/30/11 12:39 PM
Will the hd allow a water heater that small?
That would be ok for just hand washing, but you will never have enough hot water to wash dishes.
Better check on the size requirements before you install,

RiceWorks
  • Total Posts : 25
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build - Mon, 05/30/11 1:15 PM
Hey guys, i was at my local electric/plumbing store (grovers) and i found those bulkhead fittings for around $5.00. Just got done running another outlet on my rig.. can't wait when i re-do my panels so i can run all the electric BEHIND the panels. I suggest you flush mount all your outlets as well Reese every inch of space you preserve matters!
     I'm with Chef Buba on this one, i have a 6 gallon electric water heater and my HD did some math formula that they use and said i barely pass for an 8-hour a day operation.  I think i might switch over to a propane water heater very soon because of the massive power consumption of the electric one... or maybe even a tankless. Lot's of helpful advice on here guys and good job on your build so far Reese! If i was nearby i'd definitely lend a helping hand.

reese77
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build - Mon, 05/30/11 2:06 PM
chefbuba

Will the hd allow a water heater that small?
That would be ok for just hand washing, but you will never have enough hot water to wash dishes.
Better check on the size requirements before you install,

I feel like an idiot. This whole entire time I thought I purchased a tankless water heater and I just now notice the 2.5 gallon capacity. I am going to see if I can return to Amazon and buy a tankless.
I am going to buy an LP steam table and grill versus electric to save on having to buy a large generator. If I purchase a tankless LP hot water heater, what is the best model for being mounted under a sink? The models I have seen in other thread are all vented to the outside of the truck.
<message edited by reese77 on Mon, 05/30/11 5:52 PM>

reese77
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build - Mon, 05/30/11 7:44 PM
Plumbing.

BackAlleyBurger
  • Total Posts : 1077
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build - Tue, 05/31/11 2:27 AM
be ready to rip out that plumbing, most tankless heaters ive seen plumb from the bottom, or very low on the side....
go on ebay and do a search for 8L tankless water heater and you should find what i think is the perfect thing for what your doing.... they even have models that are stainless steel

BackAlleyBurger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build - Tue, 05/31/11 2:29 AM
well, not all of it, but about half from what i see... shouldnt be too bad though

here ya go, under 150 bucks, and it includes free shipping.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/8L-GAS-TANKLESS-INSTANT-HOT-WATER-HEATER-LPG-STAINLESSa-/290514644091?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a405ac7b#ht_8523wt_1139
<message edited by BackAlleyBurger on Tue, 05/31/11 2:33 AM>

reese77
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build - Tue, 05/31/11 6:23 AM
BackAlleyBurger

well, not all of it, but about half from what i see... shouldnt be too bad though

http://cgi.ebay.com/8L-GAS-TANKLESS-INSTANT-HOT-WATER-HEATER-LPG-STAINLESSa-/290514644091?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a405ac7b#ht_8523wt_1139

Thanks.

reese77
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build - Tue, 05/31/11 6:31 AM
BackAlleyBurger

After further thought, I think I want to go electric. I do not want to pipe LP to that side of the food truck. Based on my design, I planned to have a 100lb tank mounted on the driver rear and piped through for the steam table and griddle. I would have to do some elaborate piping underneath the truck to cleanly divert LP to the passenger side and under the sink. Also the LP heaters need to vent and I do not think this will work under my sink.

I was looking at this model but I am trying to find the most energy efficient one.

http://www.amazon.com/Rhe...=1306837584&sr=8-1

nwcw2001
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build - Tue, 05/31/11 11:09 AM
Thanks so much Bruce! Mine is on the way!

Gilj
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build - Tue, 05/31/11 11:42 AM
This is great.  I am considering an LP heater, thanks for the feedback, I have bookmarked this link, will most likely go with LP, but like reese77 not sure I want to divert gas to the other side of the trailer, and then still have to worry about venting issue.  Hate to put a hole in the trailer..........

Gilj
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build - Tue, 05/31/11 11:44 AM
Reese77, keep us informed if you find an efficient electric model.  I also don't want to run a gas line to the opposite side, and have to worry about venting, would prefer to keep electric, but not at the cost of getting a larger generator.  Great posts.

nwcw2001
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build - Tue, 05/31/11 11:56 AM
Reese77, I am gonna close the back roll-up door and put the cook top/fryer/burner on the back wall and then run the gas to the tankless on that driver side wall. It's all gonna be counter, so I will run it down on the floor against the wall under everything.

nwcw2001
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build - Tue, 05/31/11 12:00 PM
Also, I have found a guy that will sell us wrap material at a HUGE discount. He quoted me, for our truck size, (the same as Reese77) $375 plus shipping! Let me know if you guys want his contact info.

Gilj
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build - Tue, 05/31/11 12:02 PM
Yes, send contact info.  WOW!!

BackAlleyBurger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build - Wed, 06/1/11 1:29 AM
yes please !! send me that info!
i just love good active forums, this is great :)
hey wait..... that does include printing right ?

nwcw2001
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build - Wed, 06/1/11 1:35 AM
This was the just for solid black. The printing I need is minimal so I am worried more about the coverage. I emailed my guy, to check with him to make sure he didn't mind the extra business. As soon as I get the go ahead, I will forward the info!

reese77
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build - Sun, 06/5/11 7:03 PM
Made a bit of progress. It is so hot out everyday that I can only work in the sun for a few hours.

In the first picture, I decided to have the fresh water tank fill on the inside instead of cutting a hole through the customer side wall. I can just open the door, pull in a hose and fill the tank as needed. Still trying to decided whether to cover the cab side walls with FRP or aluminum.

Covered front walls with FRP. On the left side you can see some stains on the Aluminum, I am not sure where they came from but they won't come off with any type of cleaner. They look like smudges in the picture but they like black spotted stains.

I couldn't find a 100 AMP main breaker box that didn't have 16 or 20 spaces so I bought a 125 AMP box with 8 spaces.

<message edited by reese77 on Sun, 06/5/11 7:07 PM>

Gilj
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build - Sun, 06/5/11 7:46 PM
Reese, you are doing a great job.  Please continue to share the pictures when you do your propane.  Have you figured that all out yet?
I would love to come see your rig, man it looks good.

reese77
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build - Sun, 06/5/11 8:15 PM
Gilj

Reese, you are doing a great job.  Please continue to share the pictures when you do your propane.  Have you figured that all out yet?
I would love to come see your rig, man it looks good.

Thanks Gilj. I am trying to find a used 100lb propane tank and vertical straps/mounts now and than I will have a professional come out to do the hookup. However before that I will be having the truck towed to the muffle shop as the needed work on the exhaust cannot be done in my driveway. Once I get the mechanical/electrical work done on the actual vehicle I will be able to make better progress on the interior.

I will keep posting pics as I go. Once I get further along, you are welcome to come check out the truck. I am in Stockbridge and not far from Conyers at all.
<message edited by reese77 on Sun, 06/5/11 8:18 PM>

Dr of BBQ
  • Total Posts : 3716
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build - Sun, 06/5/11 10:54 PM
reese77

After further thought, I think I want to go electric. I do not want to pipe LP to that side of the food truck. Based on my design, I planned to have a 100lb tank mounted on the driver rear and piped through for the steam table and griddle. I would have to do some elaborate piping underneath the truck to cleanly divert LP to the passenger side and under the sink. Also the LP heaters need to vent and I do not think this will work under my sink.

Just a thought or two from a different prospective. Runing LP gas lines is a pice of cake and it's not hard to find a good plumber that will do it after working hours for cash.

If your going to put a 100 Gal tank under your truck how will you fill it? Will you have to drop it and haul it to an LP dealer to have it filled? That's a hassle if the weather is anything but bluebird skies.  And what do they weigh full. Remember they never need filling unless it's raining or snowing and your in good clothes.

All you need to vent your water heater is a ninety degree double walled pipe and a hole saw. Again a job your after hours plumber is experienced at. Add a collar for the outside and a steel dryer vent cover and your good to go. Remember an instant hot water heater takes no recovery time unlike an electric unit. And if your talking about an electric instant hot water heater, oh boy start looking for a generator the size of a VW. Well LMAO it won't need to be that big but close.

Ok one other thought if you install equipment across the back doors everything you bring in or take out must fit through your passenger side door. That includes coolers, sinks, freezers, any time you change or replace any large piece of equipment you'll need to move what ever is in front of your back doors or somehow get it out the smaller front door, so plan ahead on what ever you put in front of your back doors.

Jack 

RiceWorks
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build - Mon, 06/6/11 12:56 AM
Dr of BBQ

reese77

Just a thought or two from a different prospective. Runing LP gas lines is a pice of cake and it's not hard to find a good plumber that will do it after working hours for cash.

If your going to put a 100 Gal tank under your truck how will you fill it? Will you have to drop it and haul it to an LP dealer to have it filled? That's a hassle if the weather is anything but bluebird skies.  And what do they weigh full. Remember they never need filling unless it's raining or snowing and your in good clothes.

All you need to vent your water heater is a ninety degree double walled pipe and a hole saw. Again a job your after hours plumber is experienced at. Add a collar for the outside and a steel dryer vent cover and your good to go. Remember an instant hot water heater takes no recovery time unlike an electric unit. And if your talking about an electric instant hot water heater, oh boy start looking for a generator the size of a VW. Well LMAO it won't need to be that big but close.

Ok one other thought if you install equipment across the back doors everything you bring in or take out must fit through your passenger side door. That includes coolers, sinks, freezers, any time you change or replace any large piece of equipment you'll need to move what ever is in front of your back doors or somehow get it out the smaller front door, so plan ahead on what ever you put in front of your back doors.

Jack 

I ran all of my propane lines myself. It is truely very easy, and unless you do not feel very safe doing it yourself definitely find a plumber like  Jack said. I used black lines and it is very flexible and forgiving.
      I use two 10 Gal propane tanks and run a Wok, Fryer, and a single burner griddle on them. I have to refill once a week. I have two spares that i just rotate in with the empty ones at the end of the night. Anything bigger than a 10 Gal tank is HEAVY. If you go that route, you will have to place the tank somewhere where you can lean the tanks down onto a truck bed to go get them refilled. There's a local taco trailer that i have seen that uses that method.
    I also second Jack on the fact that you need to have a large opening on the back for equipment replacement. I've had to pull out my single door fridge and replace it with a double door fridge in the past and i am glad i kept the back doors wide and accessible.
     My recommendation would be to keep as many items on propane as possible. It keeps the gas costs down and also keeps your genny much quieter. I run a Honda EU 3000i, which imo is a great generator, and i still hate how loud it is at peak when i run my rice cooker which is electric.

Jack, do you have a link to any possible detailed pictures of a tankless water heater set-up with the venting included? I would like to ditch the electric ASAP.

And please, anyone who has any rebuttals with some good points let us know!

Phu

reese77
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build - Mon, 06/6/11 6:40 AM
Dr of BBQ

reese77

Jack 

I will be strapping the LP tank to the rear of the truck on the side of the door like other trucks do, not underneath. That would be too dangerous.

I understand what you are saying about the LP water heater but the issue is that my sink setup is on the customer side and I do not want to have a vent on that side of the vehicle. If I could vent with a small pipe than I could run it up the wall and out the roof like like my grey water tank vent.

In regard to equipment being placed on the back wall, I thought about needing to access it for equipment replacement, etc. So, the door will still be operational, I will just have to roll the steam table out of the way to open the door.
<message edited by reese77 on Mon, 06/6/11 6:43 AM>

Dr of BBQ
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build - Mon, 06/6/11 10:11 AM
reese77
In regard to equipment being placed on the back wall, I thought about needing to access it for equipment replacement, etc. So, the door will still be operational, I will just have to roll the steam table out of the way to open the door.

That's cool rollers are great and in fact required by our health department now so that you can clean behind equipment. And my apologies on being confused about which post I was making reference to.

I should have posted those questions to the following posters:
nwcw2001
I am gonna close the back roll-up door and put the cook top/fryer/burner on the back wall and then run the gas to the tankless on that driver side wall. It's all gonna be counter, so I will run it down on the floor against the wall under everything.

Gilj
keep us informed if you find an efficient electric model.  I also don't want to run a gas line to the opposite side, and have to worry about venting, would prefer to keep electric, but not at the cost of getting a larger generator.  Great posts.

reese77
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build - Wed, 06/8/11 5:13 PM
Found an efficient electric tankless water heater. http://www.amazon.com/Sti...=1307567366&sr=8-4

I will be putting my 2.5GAL point of use electric water heater on craigslist if anyone is interested.

Gilj
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build - Wed, 06/8/11 10:59 PM
OK that looks cool.  And only 25 amps.  So Reese, what will you have on propane and what will run off of generator.  Have you determined the size generator you will need?  At 25 amps I may have to consider this instead of the propane.    I still will put my fryer and grill on propane.  I just hate to worry about venting the heater.

I got a quote from a guy today to run approx 30 feet of black pipe, two stage regulators, shut off valves, etc, etc.  to three appliances......... his fee... get this are you ready $1593-  Only $600 of this is for his labor the rest is in materials.  I guess he didn't think I had done any research on my own.   Needles to say, I won't be calling this guy back?

nwcw2001
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build - Wed, 06/8/11 11:09 PM
I think that with the back door. I will make it "partially sealed", only in so much as I can remove a few screws and can remove the door for major replacements.

reese77
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build - Mon, 06/13/11 6:39 PM
Gilj

OK that looks cool.  And only 25 amps.  So Reese, what will you have on propane and what will run off of generator.  Have you determined the size generator you will need?  At 25 amps I may have to consider this instead of the propane.    I still will put my fryer and grill on propane.  I just hate to worry about venting the heater.

I got a quote from a guy today to run approx 30 feet of black pipe, two stage regulators, shut off valves, etc, etc.  to three appliances......... his fee... get this are you ready $1593-  Only $600 of this is for his labor the rest is in materials.  I guess he didn't think I had done any research on my own.   Needles to say, I won't be calling this guy back?

I am thinking of a 7500W Generac if I can find one cheap on Ebay, if not than some generic 10K W generator. I will have my griddle, steam table and broiler on propane.

Below is a screen shot of the items on electri
Water Pump Water Heater Air Conditioner Exterior LED Flood Lights Interior LED Tube Lights LED Awning Lights Refrigerator Microwave Sandwich Prep Station Exhaust Hood
<message edited by reese77 on Mon, 06/13/11 6:43 PM>

Gilj
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build - Mon, 06/13/11 9:26 PM
Your screen shot was too small to read, can you repost.  I am really curious about your electrical, because even at 1500 watts for the water heater that will leave you only about 6000 watts left and I would think your AC and microwave would eat up a lot of it.  Not sure how many watts needed for your lights.    Are you planning on putting in a fountain machine?

What type of menu will you have, have you found a permanent spot or will you be doing festivals and special events?

Gilj

reese77
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build - Tue, 06/14/11 9:00 PM
Gilj

Your screen shot was too small to read, can you repost.  I am really curious about your electrical, because even at 1500 watts for the water heater that will leave you only about 6000 watts left and I would think your AC and microwave would eat up a lot of it.  Not sure how many watts needed for your lights.    Are you planning on putting in a fountain machine?

What type of menu will you have, have you found a permanent spot or will you be doing festivals and special events?

Gilj

See table pic here, hopefully it is clearer.

My lights will be super bright LED strips which are very low wattage. I am not sure about the microwave and if I do install one it will be rarely used. My menu will include sandwiches (made to order), salads and sides (pre made and stored in refrigerator) and warm side dishes stored in steam table. I have several parking lots in mind and I still have to talk to the owners once I am ready. I can have up to 2 locations in Atlanta.

My original plan was to convert a basement garage (mower garage) to a 2rnd kitchen which was to be my base of operation but when I went to submit plans to the building department, I learned that my finished basement was never permitted by the builder and when I tried to get it permited, I learned I was on septic and not sewer (only been living here for 2.5 years) so now since one of the rooms in the basement is a bedroom, that makes my house a 5 bedroom and the enviromental health department said I would need a bigger septic to get  the basement permit approved. So I decided not to stir up any trouble and just leave things as is and try to rent a commissary.

My other option is to convert one side of my main level 2 car garage to a 2nd kitchen but I have to talk to the building dept.
<message edited by reese77 on Tue, 06/14/11 9:02 PM>

Gilj
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build - Tue, 06/14/11 11:24 PM
Now that is interesting a commissary on your own property.  I have heard of that, but didn't think it would fly in Georgia.  What are you referencing for the commissary.  Where are you getting this info, health department or state, city??????

Are you familiar with the Atlanta Street Food Coalition?  I attended one of their meetings and found it very intersting.  But since I will be doing mostly festivals and special events I didn't think it much applicable to me.  But some good info for the future.

nwcw2001
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build - Wed, 06/15/11 11:52 PM
I am a total tool!! I was just reminded that I had not forwarded on the info to my wrap guy! Sorry guys, he said to go a head and send forward his email address. His name is Don and you can hit him up here

Hope we can flood him with business! Maybe he will give us a group buy discount!

nwcw2001
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build - Wed, 06/15/11 11:53 PM
Sorry the admin didn't allow the email addy hot link so here it is again!
donathon@gmail.com

reese77
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build - Thu, 06/16/11 9:48 PM
Gilj

Now that is interesting a commissary on your own property.  I have heard of that, but didn't think it would fly in Georgia.  What are you referencing for the commissary.  Where are you getting this info, health department or state, city??????

Are you familiar with the Atlanta Street Food Coalition?  I attended one of their meetings and found it very intersting.  But since I will be doing mostly festivals and special events I didn't think it much applicable to me.  But some good info for the future.

I spoke to my local planning and zoning, building and environmental health department as well as the GA health department.

RiceWorks
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build - Fri, 06/17/11 6:12 AM
On that 'efficient' water heater... 25 amps is quite a bit.. am i wrong? 
3000 watt genny at 120V =25 amps.
I am also interested in the wrap, please keep us updated!

reese77
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build - Fri, 06/17/11 8:21 AM
RiceWorks

On that 'efficient' water heater... 25 amps is quite a bit.. am i wrong? 
3000 watt genny at 120V =25 amps.
I am also interested in the wrap, please keep us updated!

It was the smallest and cheapest of the high efficiency units.

I am planning on buying a 10K generator anyway, my only issue is where to mount it and I am leaning toward an extended rear bumper mount.

Grumpa
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build - Fri, 06/17/11 11:26 PM
I'm working on an '83 Al-u-min-ium Utilimaster and building an extended rear bumper for my genny and trash receptacles, using 2"x6"x .120 wall rectangular tubing.  I removed the control panel from the genny and will mount it inside on the wall and run the wiring thru a 9 pin trailer receptacle.  I bought a spare male plug so I can wire up a 50' 120vac extension cord for plugging in at night or at a remote where power is available.  I'm trying to get a leg up on those ne'er do wells who might be tempted to pilfer the genny.  Time will tell.

Colorado - thanks for the headsup on the wrap.  I hope he has satin black, I'm building my truck in a hot rod theme.  Red powdercoat rims, whitewalls, etc.
<message edited by Grumpa on Fri, 06/17/11 11:29 PM>

nwcw2001
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build - Sat, 06/18/11 12:06 AM
Looking at most of the wrap stuff he does, he does a lot of flat black wraps!

Dr of BBQ
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build - Sat, 06/18/11 8:39 AM
Grumpa
I'm working on an '83 Al-u-min-ium Utilimaster and building an extended rear bumper for my genny. I removed the control panel from the genny and will mount it inside on the wall and run the wiring thru a 9 pin trailer receptacle.  I bought a spare male plug so I can wire up a 50' 120vac extension cord for plugging in at night or at a remote where power is available. I'm building my truck in a hot rod theme.  Red powdercoat rims, whitewalls, etc.

Grumpa,
So the 9 pin is just for your generator control right?
I assume the extension cord is just to run a cooler and nothing else?
I think the rat rod look could be very effective at some events like the Hunnert car pile up. 

http://www.hunnertcarpileup.com/

Grumpa
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build - Sat, 06/18/11 9:07 AM
Doc,
 You must be Midwest like me, reference to the pileup is my clue. 
The 9 pin will carry all of the genny circuits - on/off switch, oil idiot light, one) 12vdc +/- circuit, one) 120vac +/- circuit and ground.  I checked with Etrailer's tech people regarding the circuit and they have the receptacle rated at 40 amp, my genny is 25 amp.  I'll run the incoming 120v power direct to a breaker that is off during start of the genny then on so as not to fry the 120vac refrig motor(s) on startup.  I'm putting a self propelled dessert cart together.  The extension cord will run the frig, lights, and music just like the genny.

Dr of BBQ
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build - Sat, 06/18/11 9:19 AM
Yes Springfield Illinois and the HCP is now held in Decatur about 30 miles from here. I did it last year and it's a pretty neat event although only one day.
wwwDrofBBQ.com

I'm still a little lost on this part...The 9 pin will carry all of the genny circuits - one) 120vac +/- circuit and ground.

Will the nine pin carry 120 vac?

The dessert thing may be a giant hit I have never seen anyone at an event that has done that before.
Good Luck

Dr of BBQ
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build - Sat, 06/18/11 10:18 AM
Ok now I'm at work and the stand is ready to open so I have more time (it's raining cats and dogs) so things will be slow today.
Grumpa,
Some other questions....lol
What is your plan for muffling the noisy from the generator? My step van has a generator and I'm moving it outside, most likely to a rear deck (still not built) but I'm concerned about noise. I know a lot of guys are running the generator exhaust into the step van exhaust system in front of the SV muffler. But that would be a long run if the generator is on the SV rear deck. I have had a little experience with exhaust systems from my motorcycle building days but not enough to make a call on this issue. One other thought: maybe you should start a thread on "Moving a Generator" that way it will be easily searchable and if you do please post lots of pictures showing the steps.

Jack

reese77
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build - Sat, 06/18/11 12:40 PM
What do you guys think about this generator? I plan to build a sound isolating box around it and remove the wheels. It comes with a free transfer switch and I plan on buying a roof exhaust kit for it, where the exhaust is routed up to the root of the truck.

THE WILD DOG
  • Total Posts : 1465
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build - Sat, 06/18/11 3:59 PM
make sure in your sound isolating box you don't forget to vent the hell out of that same box or you will kill that thing real quick.

reese77
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build - Sat, 06/18/11 8:49 PM
THE WILD DOG

make sure in your sound isolating box you don't forget to vent the hell out of that same box or you will kill that thing real quick.

Yup, I already have a big vent door for access and venting of the unit and I will have the bottom other vent holes in the box as well.

THE WILD DOG
  • Total Posts : 1465
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build - Sat, 06/18/11 9:00 PM
HOW MUCh you payin for that thing ? I'm looking to mount one in the back of my grand cherokee ( sniff sniff :-(  )

reese77
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build - Sat, 06/18/11 9:10 PM
THE WILD DOG

HOW MUCh you payin for that thing ? I'm looking to mount one in the back of my grand cherokee ( sniff sniff :-(  )

There is a link to the website where I am buying it in the link in the previous post. It is $969. Here is a link to the access door I bought on Amazon. here

indycarver1
  • Total Posts : 43
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build - Sat, 06/18/11 9:40 PM
Hi Reese this is going back a couple of pages.  The orange straps on your water tanks and water heater are they just rachet type straps or something made for water tanks? 

reese77
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build - Sat, 06/18/11 9:46 PM
indycarver1

Hi Reese this is going back a couple of pages.  The orange straps on your water tanks and water heater are they just rachet type straps or something made for water tanks? 

They are the ratchet type straps, I cut them off of the metal ratchet part, put a self tapping metal screw and washer through it and drilled through the floor.

I like to improvise.

reese77
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build - Sun, 06/19/11 12:10 PM
Installed new 2" back flow preventer, much more space now. New smaller tankless water heater arrived.

Put up aluminum on cab wall and water inlet but I still need to mount the passenger jump seat somehow/somewhere.

<message edited by reese77 on Sun, 06/19/11 12:13 PM>

BackAlleyBurger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build - Sun, 06/19/11 5:10 PM
reese77
Installed new 2" back flow preventer, much more space now. New smaller tankless water heater arrived. Put up aluminum on cab wall and water inlet but I still need to mount the passenger jump seat somehow/somewhere.

you already have the passenger seat !! right about where the "2011" is on the time stamp, butt goes there, and feet go in the foot well, lol.... if they are tender i reckon you could offer a pillow, lol

what model tankless is this ?...specs?

your flooring...... is that single sheet?.. or 12x12 squares ? how is it holding up during construction ??

can you show a closeup of your water inlet, how you have it tied into tank ?

reese77
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build - Sun, 06/19/11 7:32 PM
I thought about the passenger sitting there but that's a no no. I will find a way to mount a fold up passenger seat after I order one. I was afraid that the floor would tear up but it has held up well under construction and it is all one piece. I will be placing the rubber commercial kitchen mats over the lineoleum once ready for business.

The tankless unit can be found here. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0048EK7BQ

I will take another picture as soon as I can. I am out of town on business right now.
<message edited by reese77 on Sun, 06/19/11 7:57 PM>

reese77
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build - Fri, 06/24/11 9:52 AM
I just returned home and got to see my new tankless water heater in person and it is tiny. You can see the size compared to the pipes under the sink. It is a nice over cast day today so I will get out and do some work and will have more pictures this evening. I have to mount the heater and reroute the water in/out lines.

Here is my fresh water inlet (still not connected) and air vent for the tank, the hose in the picture is the air vent.

greg198
  • Total Posts : 7
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build - Sat, 06/25/11 3:39 PM
Hi reese,

I cant believe there is someone out there like myself I am also in the same process as you building myself a lunch truck also I really enjoyed looking through your photos now Ive started taking pictures of my progress although I am not as far into it as you are but I am somewhat there I recently installed my generator and propane tank and now am working on finding myself the triple utensile sink and water tanks. I was curious do you have a drawing you are going off of or just coming up with it as you move along. I actually had a question regarding your water heater if it was nsf and what the temperature of water it produces at how many gpm, Since i will be needing to purchase one also. thanks hope to talk to you soon. I think we can exchange alot of info if you would like thanks talk to you soon.

I have a 96 chevy p30 dieesel engine.

reese77
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build - Sat, 06/25/11 9:22 PM
gary198

Hi reese,

I cant believe there is someone out there like myself I am also in the same process as you building myself a lunch truck also I really enjoyed looking through your photos now Ive started taking pictures of my progress although I am not as far into it as you are but I am somewhat there I recently installed my generator and propane tank and now am working on finding myself the triple utensile sink and water tanks. I was curious do you have a drawing you are going off of or just coming up with it as you move along. I actually had a question regarding your water heater if it was nsf and what the temperature of water it produces at how many gpm, Since i will be needing to purchase one also. thanks hope to talk to you soon. I think we can exchange alot of info if you would like thanks talk to you soon.

I have a 96 chevy p30 dieesel engine.

Thanks Gary, glad you enjoy the post. Here is a link to the water heater and specs. The only drawback tot this heater is that is comes with an aerator for the faucet that you have to use in order to allow the heater to properly produce hot water. It only comes with one aerator so I have to buy another from the hardware store for the hand wash sink. I have a design that I made using Google sketchup but I am really just designing as I go.

I would love to see your setup, post picture on Flickr and post the link.

snukp
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build - Mon, 07/4/11 8:08 PM
Does anyone know where you can purchase a set of plans for converting a van into food truck?

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 2 of 16, messages 61 to 120 of 948