Hot!1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 16
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2011/08/30 03:21:52
yeah i'm looking forward to it, i'm laying my floor and start my placement of my sinks to do my plumbing awhile. i'm gonna wait to do the window last which is coming up fast. bout to order my hood from hood mart. they want $850 for a 4x30 concession hood ( just the hood, no exhaust ) takes about 10 days to get to me.
nwcw2001
Junior Burger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2011/08/31 11:09:59
THE WILD DOG

yeah i'm looking forward to it, i'm laying my floor and start my placement of my sinks to do my plumbing awhile. i'm gonna wait to do the window last which is coming up fast. bout to order my hood from hood mart. they want $850 for a 4x30 concession hood ( just the hood, no exhaust ) takes about 10 days to get to me.

Is that the cost shipped? Because if not, here is a cheaper alternative. The hood is a little over $680 and shipping to you wouldn't be much more then $150.

nwcw2001
Junior Burger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2011/08/31 11:13:11
OK I haven't yapped enough to get to post links yet I guess. If you do a EBAY search for A City Discount. They have a TON of new and used equipment. Including Concession Hoods
BackAlleyBurger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2011/09/01 19:42:18
yea, never take measurements from the ground, your guaranteed to have a crooked window or line on your truck.....
like reese said, measure from the roof down, or from a body line up, you want the window to be square and plumb with the vehicle, not the ground under  
reese77
Double Cheeseburger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2011/09/03 09:03:18
I have new pics but I was out of town on business all week and now will be gone for the holiday weekend. I will post the complete awning on Tuesday.
nwcw2001
Junior Burger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2011/09/03 11:57:04
reese77

I have new pics but I was out of town on business all week and now will be gone for the holiday weekend. I will post the complete awning on Tuesday.

'YOU'RE KILLING ME SMALLS!" LOL  I am such a Reese Geek now! Every time I get an email notification that something on here was posted I get all giddy! LOL Have a great weekend!
reese77
Double Cheeseburger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2011/09/05 17:04:04
The holiday delayed my shipment, so I am still waiting on trim pieces to totally complete the awning. I made a few mistakes and had to cover them up by going in a different route than my original plan but the awning still looks good. Once my trim pieces arrive in the mail, I will wrap up the work. Keep in mind that the vinyl truck wrap will also cover the awning except for the window and some trim. Pics below.

The awning would have been a piece of cake to build if I had not decided to put in a window. The window was a pain in the neck and still did not come out the way I planned due to all the 45 degree cuts, etc.

My advice is if you decided to build an awning, do not add a window. Once my LED lights arrive, I will install on in the awning, than mount it on the truck.

post edited by reese77 - 2011/09/05 17:05:41
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2011/09/05 18:32:28
Looks good
A couple questions

How thick is your plexiglass (is that what you used in the window)?

Where are you putting the LED lights?
reese77
Double Cheeseburger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2011/09/05 20:24:45
Dr of BBQ

Looks good
A couple questions

How thick is your plexiglass (is that what you used in the window)?

Where are you putting the LED lights?

The Acrylic is 1/4" thick. The lights will be mounted on the white side (inside). I will post the pics once my shipments arrive this week.

THE WILD DOG
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2011/09/05 20:53:07
can we get a parts list with links available ?
reese77
Double Cheeseburger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2011/09/05 21:25:15
THE WILD DOG

can we get a parts list with links available ?

Yup, I am putting together a manual with all the parts. It is not complete but some parts below.

Description
Manufacturer/Supplier
SKU
QTY
1-13/16in x 6ft Aluminum U Channel
Orangealuminum.com
OA2164
U Channel 3/8" W x 7/16" H x 1/16"  x 6ft (1/4” inner channel)
Orangealuminum.com
OA7401
1/16in x 1-1/2in x 6ft Flat aluminum bar
Orangealuminum.com
OA6364

4ft x 8ft, 1/2in Sheet of foam insulation
Home Depot

1/8in rivets
Home Depot
RSAW1/8IP
First Watch Security 5/8 in. Chrome Cabinet and Drawer Utility Cam Lock
Home Depot
4’ x 8’ FRP Sheet
Home Depot

post edited by reese77 - 2011/09/05 21:35:49
reese77
Double Cheeseburger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2011/09/06 14:07:38
My super bright LED bars arrived today and they are ridiculously bright. My flat aluminum trim arrives sometime today, whenever FedEx decides to show up. Than I will complete the awning with an installed LED bars.

nwcw2001
Junior Burger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2011/09/06 16:30:20
WOW!!! Those are bright!

Seeing how bright they are, do you think you will still need all of the ones you bought. Or do you think you would get by with fewer then that?
reese77
Double Cheeseburger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2011/09/06 17:28:07
The LED bars are only 19.5 inches long so I will need them all to light up the entire work area.
reese77
Double Cheeseburger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2011/09/06 17:29:14
BackAlleyBurger

reese77

BackAlleyBurger

hey Reese-
if that unit works and your not going to use it want to sell it ?
if so want first dibs please :)

I will test it, the battery it is hooked up to is dead but I will take it to Auto Zone to be charged than test the inverter. It it works, you can have for a trade.

sounds like a plan to me :) if it is what i think it is, its perfect for something i want to do....

and great find on the lights !  SUPERBRIGHTLEDS has been one of my favorite sites for a couple years now

Backalley, I forgot that you wanted the inverter. I will remove and test it tomorrow and let you know.
BackAlleyBurger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2011/09/06 18:47:10
thanks man
reese77
Double Cheeseburger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2011/09/08 14:04:24

chefbuba
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2011/09/08 19:39:38
Is there a "p" trap in there?...I can't tell. How are you going to keep the stink from your holding tank from driving you out of the truck?
nwcw2001
Junior Burger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2011/09/08 21:05:28
chefbuba

Is there a "p" trap in there?...I can't tell. How are you going to keep the stink from your holding tank from driving you out of the truck?

Yeah if you look at the bottom pic you re-posted there is a p-trap just to the left of the furthest right elbow. It drops and then goes up. Also he has a check valve just going into the floor.
reese77
Double Cheeseburger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2011/09/08 21:44:25
chefbuba

Ya, the P-Trap is behind the long pipe, just below the upper u shaped pipe. I will take a better picture tomorrow when I connect the sinks.
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2011/09/09 18:17:44
reese77
Your build is looking good, Can't wait to see the finished version.
reese77
Double Cheeseburger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2011/09/10 22:00:28
This awning was/is a pain in the azz. I will not add a window next time. I made so many mistakes that I had to cover up. I had to remove part of my window frame, widen the opening and re-frame and the awning still is a bit snug in the opening. I could not get the hinge on the way I wanted to to space limitations so I had to mount it on the outside of the truck which looks tacky to me but it was my only option other than redoing the entire window frame. Since the awning and truck will eventually be covered with a wrap, all is still OK. I still have to add the lights to the interior awning and clean up the trim.

I installed my Lift-O-Mat Gas Springs (150-lb capacity). They are small about 10" in length but they actually held the awning up firmly. However, I must have done something wrong because I could not close the awning. The struts would not fold up and lay vertical. I think there is a specific way these need to be installed but I am going to order a larger set anyway just to be safe.

post edited by reese77 - 2011/09/10 22:01:53
THE WILD DOG
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2011/09/10 23:16:25
what genny did you decide to go with ? I am still thinking on the one I want. I think I'm gonna go with 8500/10,000 DuraMax for $850 w/ free ship. I might think about mounting on the front bumper vs the back. Or if I can find a swing arm big enough to hold the genny for the back I would rather it go that route.
reese77
Double Cheeseburger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2011/09/10 23:48:43
THE WILD DOG

what genny did you decide to go with ? I am still thinking on the one I want. I think I'm gonna go with 8500/10,000 DuraMax for $850 w/ free ship. I might think about mounting on the front bumper vs the back. Or if I can find a swing arm big enough to hold the genny for the back I would rather it go that route.

This one?
THE WILD DOG
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2011/09/10 23:54:26
yep, that's the one. I've read alot of good reviews on it. There is another one that I am looking at too, I think this is a way better deal too, once it comes in stock LOL
reese77
Double Cheeseburger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2011/09/11 00:14:06
THE WILD DOG

yep, that's the one. I've read alot of good reviews on it. There is another one that I am looking at too, I think this is a way better deal too, once it comes in stock LOL

I've looked at the one on Amazon. My only issue with these 2 is that I want the remote start/monitoring panel that you can buy separately that are available for Generac and some other generators. I will probably go with one of your two options and see if I can rig up a remote panel.
THE WILD DOG
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2011/09/11 00:22:46
I haven't seen any of the Generac models that have a 50amp plug in yet, All the ones i've seen go up to 30amp. I'm push close to 50amps with all my stuff. A vendor I know has the red one and never seems to have any issues... It's not that loud at all. I can still hear her talk and it's about 5 feet away on the back.
rollingwitburgers
Junior Burger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2011/09/11 03:36:53
where do you plan on putting the generator iam havaing a hard time figuring that one out there are tons of food trucks where i live but i dont see any of there generator how do you plan on doing it
rollingwitburgers
Junior Burger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2011/09/11 03:45:09
love all the info i was lost now im found by finding this thread another question i had currently my walls are all aluminum do i have to cover in frp as you did and second i have a roll up door that my wife wants to keep closed and not ad an access door for extra security is that normal. we are very new at this and have tons of questions another one we have is we need a fire suppression system is there anyway around the 4-5k cost associated with purchse and install...

thanks,
chris and trina
BackAlleyBurger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2011/09/11 13:11:18
rigging up a remote panel shouldnt be hard at all...basically remove the panel components you want to make remote and extend the wires.... easy peezy

as far as front or rear bumper mount, i dont like either, simply due to it adds to the length of the truck...... i got my specific truck because it fits into a parking space, so if i had to go with either i would choose front bumper so it can hang over the "side walk area" instead of out into the driving area... i could just back in everywhere..... my choice location is inside the truck directly behind the drivers seat, built into an insulated sound proof box (like Indys little orange truck) then the exhaust can be dropped through the floor right into the truck exhaust (short run, no problems with back pressure) your going to have a little vibration regardless so that isnt a real issue i think...
reese77
Double Cheeseburger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2011/09/11 13:13:20
rollingwitburgers

love all the info i was lost now im found by finding this thread another question i had currently my walls are all aluminum do i have to cover in frp as you did and second i have a roll up door that my wife wants to keep closed and not ad an access door for extra security is that normal. we are very new at this and have tons of questions another one we have is we need a fire suppression system is there anyway around the 4-5k cost associated with purchse and install...

thanks,
chris and trina

Do you have aluminum walls over the interior beams/frame or are you referring to the aluminum that also makes up the exterior of the truck? The walls need to be smooth and be able to be wiped down so having the beams exposed may be an issue. Post a pic of your setup. The roll-up door needs to stay in order to provide access for new/replacement equipment that cannot fit through your front door. You can always replace the rollup with a dual swing open door and cover the inside of the door with aluminum or FRP.

As for fire suppression....shop on Ebay, buy the system in pieces but still have a professional install, just my opinion.

reese77
Double Cheeseburger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2011/09/11 13:14:51
rollingwitburgers

where do you plan on putting the generator iam havaing a hard time figuring that one out there are tons of food trucks where i live but i dont see any of there generator how do you plan on doing it

I am going to mount my generator (as soon as I buy it) on the rear bumper. I am having a extended rear bumper fabricated as the one that was available online at stepvanparts.com was not big enough.
BackAlleyBurger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2011/09/11 13:15:06
i do sort of like the small trailer being pulled with truck idea.....
i want to carry lots and lots of fresh water (fountain sodas) and that would not only free up a lot of room in the truck, but let me carry a larger tank along with the genny...... drop it off 50 feet or so from where setting up and run a 50 amp shore power cord..... then space/noise/vibration/etc... is never an issue
reese77
Double Cheeseburger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2011/09/11 13:16:44
BackAlleyBurger

i want to carry lots and lots of fresh water (fountain sodas) and that would not only free up a lot of room in the truck, but let me carry a larger tank along with the genny...... drop it off 50 feet or so from where setting up and run a 50 amp shore power cord..... then space/noise/vibration/etc... is never an issue

Hmmm...That's a good idea.
BackAlleyBurger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2011/09/11 13:21:48
maybe even a chest freezer for bagged ice along side the water tank.... i have been several places i would give a left.....well, i would have given a lot for a bag of ice, lol.....
just build a short in length (maybe 10'), tall as the truck and same paint scheme.... would look awesome !!
BackAlleyBurger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2011/09/11 13:22:38
well, thats not a "small" trailer anymore, lol.....
nwcw2001
Junior Burger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2011/09/11 14:43:33
The trucks around here have figured out putting the generator on the front of the truck serves 2 purposes. One it counter balances the load from the equipment in the truck, the propane tanks with the generator in the front. AND it puts more distance from the service window and the generator noise and smells.
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2011/09/11 20:56:49
BackAlleyBurger

Where do you guys live? I'm in Springfield Illinois and could never carry fresh water on a trailer for 3 or 4 months out of the year. Our winters are not as brutal as some parts of the country but we do get a week or two of zero temps during the winter. But we never know in advance when they will happen so it would be a very big gamble to try and carry water on the trailer. And this last winter we had 9 inches of snow in one storm. I was closed for a week, but there were some BM restaurants closed for 3 days as well.

One other thought

Our city allows me to go to city hall and pay for parking spaces in advance, then the city Police Dept bags the meters with no parking signs.  And of course when I pay they give me a permission slip to park in those metered spots. They charge $2.75 per meter, per day and I'm supposed to give the city 10 days notice on the days I need the meters. But I have had meters flagged in as little as 3 days.

So I could go to the city and get two meters flagged, for Monday in front of the Secretary of States office about 600 employees, and two meters flagged for the Springfield Clinics Building for Tuesday, about 1200 employees, and on and on for the entire week. But there may at some point be a down side to this. Each of those buildings has on site cafeterias, and the companies that run them are going to be plenty pissed if I show up every monday and take even 20% of there normal lunch business. And I would be upset as well, so I'm not sure when or if I'm going to do this. What do you think?
Jack

PS I'm not trying to high jack this thread. Sorry.
rollingwitburgers
Junior Burger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2011/09/12 01:45:29

I tried uploading some photos for you but i havent been a member long enough yet so if you dont mind im on flickr just search for rollingwitburgers one word and it should pull up if that dosent work please let me know how i could get the pics to you im very nervous with this food truck build and i ahve been searching for someone of your expertise and knowlege for a long time. some photos for you i talked to my wife about the roll up door situation and were you advising to leave the roll up door intact and to cut a whole to frame a new door. second the floor looks as if it has a diamond plate covering would cleaning the exisiting floor be recommended. what is frp exactley..

thanks
chris and trina
post edited by rollingwitburgers - 2011/09/12 01:53:28
nwcw2001
Junior Burger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2011/09/12 09:03:01
rollingwitburgers

what is frp exactley..

thanks
chris and trina

FRP is Fiber Reinforced Plastic. It is plastic wall covering that is waterproof they use in restaurants. You can get it at the local home improvement stores. I found the smooth kind at Home Depot for $21 a sheet of 4'X8'.
reese77
Double Cheeseburger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2011/09/12 09:58:55
rollingwitburgers

I tried uploading some photos for you but i havent been a member long enough yet so if you dont mind im on flickr just search for rollingwitburgers one word and it should pull up if that dosent work please let me know how i could get the pics to you im very nervous with this food truck build and i ahve been searching for someone of your expertise and knowlege for a long time. some photos for you i talked to my wife about the roll up door situation and were you advising to leave the roll up door intact and to cut a whole to frame a new door. second the floor looks as if it has a diamond plate covering would cleaning the exisiting floor be recommended. what is frp exactley..

thanks
chris and trina

I searched Flickr but no results. Also, I am far from a food truck build expert. I am here to learn just as you.
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2011/09/12 11:37:16
rollingwitburgers I tried uploading some photos for you but i havent been a member long enough yet so if you dont mind im on flickr just search for rollingwitburgers one word and it should pull up if that dosent work please let me know how i could get the pics to you chris and trina

Send me a link Jack@DrofBBQ.com and I'll post them for you.
Jack
rollingwitburgers
Junior Burger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2011/09/12 16:03:47
Dr of BBQ

rollingwitburgers I tried uploading some photos for you but i havent been a member long enough yet so if you dont mind im on flickr just search for rollingwitburgers one word and it should pull up if that dosent work please let me know how i could get the pics to you chris and trina

Send me a link and I'll post them for you.
Jack

Thanks jack i sent a link to you
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2011/09/12 17:01:17
rollingwitburgers

I'mvery nervous with this food truck build and i have been searching for someone of your expertise and knowledge for a long time. some photos for you i talked to my wife about the roll up door situation and were you advising to leave the roll up door intact and to cut a whole to frame a new door. second the floor looks as if it has a diamond plate covering would cleaning the existing floor be recommended?
chris and trina

chefbuba
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2011/09/12 20:03:02
Clean that diamond plate up as good as you can, and leave it.
Is it welded or screwed? Welded, you would have no seams, which is best.

rollingwitburgers
Junior Burger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2011/09/12 22:08:38
Looking at the walls would I still need frp or a good cleaning . And if I need frp do I just frame as you would drywall and run electrical behind frp.

Thanks Jack
post edited by rollingwitburgers - 2011/09/12 22:09:46
americanwiener
Junior Burger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2011/09/12 22:33:35
I  have working on a similar truck, the aluminum walls had a lot of holes, so it was a lot easier to just glue up frp, phosphoric acid will clean up the diamond plate, use an acid brush, follow the directions , home depot has it for 14 or 15 dollars, you might need to do it twice use a pump sprayer, then rinse it off. It leaves a white haze but walking on it and wear and tear removes the haze.Your walls need to be an easily cleaned smooth surface so food and debris doesnt cause sanitation issues. I tried the acid on the walls and it doesnt take out all the imperfections, its a lot of work to find out it doesnt look good. If you use frp use solvent based glue for frp, made by liguid nails, the latex  glue is not recommended over metal walls.
BackAlleyBurger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2011/09/12 23:12:59
i would think you want to put up some "studs" that way you have room for insulation...... park your truck out in the bright noon day sun, let it sit for an hour, and go out and see how hot it is inside...these thing are like easy bake ovens

also, this gives you a way to run wiring for outlets, you will need to put up some sort of plywood under the frp, this adds strength to the walls, and a little "meat" to hold screws when you screw stuff to the walls...lol, and you will be screwing stuff to the walls, im going to use 1/4' luan, its water resistant, and light weight, and with rigid insulation underneath will have surprising strength and rigidity.....
i think 2" is a good thickness to work with, this lets you use shallow outlet boxes, is enough room for about an r11 in insulation 
BackAlleyBurger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2011/09/12 23:20:41
Dr of BBQ

BackAlleyBurger

Where do you guys live? I'm in Springfield Illinois and could never carry fresh water on a trailer for 3 or 4 months out of the year. Our winters are not as brutal as some parts of the country but we do get a week or two of zero temps during the winter. But we never know in advance when they will happen so it would be a very big gamble to try and carry water on the trailer. And this last winter we had 9 inches of snow in one storm. I was closed for a week, but there were some BM restaurants closed for 3 days as well.

One other thought

Our city allows me to go to city hall and pay for parking spaces in advance, then the city Police Dept bags the meters with no parking signs.  And of course when I pay they give me a permission slip to park in those metered spots. They charge $2.75 per meter, per day and I'm supposed to give the city 10 days notice on the days I need the meters. But I have had meters flagged in as little as 3 days.

So I could go to the city and get two meters flagged, for Monday in front of the Secretary of States office about 600 employees, and two meters flagged for the Springfield Clinics Building for Tuesday, about 1200 employees, and on and on for the entire week. But there may at some point be a down side to this. Each of those buildings has on site cafeterias, and the companies that run them are going to be plenty pissed if I show up every monday and take even 20% of there normal lunch business. And I would be upset as well, so I'm not sure when or if I'm going to do this. What do you think?
Jack
 PS I'm not trying to high jack this thread. Sorry.

down here in north carolina, a brutal winter is 32 degrees, sometimes it gets down to the 20's, but a day later will be back up in the 40's..... a little heat tape around the tank would be plenty to keep thawed out even on the coldest day

i would say go for it on the possible sites, who cares if they get mad, outside of possibly taking some customers from their cafeterias do or have they had any aspect in your life? or your well being ? if not, smile and wave :)
maybe go in a week before with some flyers, ask to have them posted, see what kind of response you get
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2011/09/12 23:30:59
I'm looking at the walls for the 3rd time and it looks like those are not the exterior walls. Am I wrong in that thought?

If they are not the outside walls and instead an interior wall read the following.

If you build a stud wall on both sides of that truck your taking up a lot of usable space. Cover them if you must (I would not) but glue up what ever your going to use to cover them, and make it (the wall covering) as thin as possible. You can run your electric in plastic pipe on the surface of the wall and save yourself a ton of space.

Sorry guys but you are building and I have worked in a 16 foot box for years. Space is so very important and you just don't realize it until your done with the build.

Whats behind the aluminum? Is it a dead air space? How thick is the space? Would it be worthwhile to drill it at the top and shoot foam in to that area to insulate it ? Especially if your going to cover the walls with anything.

But again I'd clean and buff those walls first before I did anything else. If that doesn't work then go the other direction. Your only out your labor.

post edited by Dr of BBQ - 2011/09/12 23:35:53
rollingwitburgers
Junior Burger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2011/09/12 23:37:31
so if i glue frp to wall what about instillation?
rollingwitburgers
Junior Burger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2011/09/12 23:38:46
Dr of BBQ

I'm looking at the walls for the 3rd time and it looks like those are not the exterior walls. Am I wrong in that thought?

If they are not the outside walls and instead an interior wall read the following.

If you build a stud wall on both sides of that truck your taking up a lot of usable space. Cover them if you must (I would not) but glue up what ever your going to use to cover them, and make it (the wall covering) as thin as possible. You can run your electric in plastic pipe on the surface of the wall and save yourself a ton of space.

Sorry guys but you are building and I have worked in a 16 foot box for years. Space is so very important and you just don't realize it until your done with the build.

Whats behind the aluminum? Is it a dead air space? How thick is the space? Would it be worthwhile to drill it at the top and shoot foam in to that area to insulate it ? Especially if your going to cover the walls with anything.

But again I'd clean and buff those walls first before I did anything else. If that doesn't work then go the other direction. Your only out your labor.

and would it be best to put electrical behind frp so it can be flush:)
rollingwitburgers
Junior Burger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2011/09/12 23:43:21
Dr of BBQ

yes jack it is dead space maybe 2-3 inch maxbetween intereior and exterior the pics are the interior walls

thanks
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2011/09/12 23:51:14
BackAlleyBurger

down here in north carolina, a brutal winter is 32 degrees, sometimes it gets down to the 20's, but a day later will be back up in the 40's..... a little heat tape around the tank would be plenty to keep thawed out even on the coldest day

i would say go for it on the possible sites, who cares if they get mad, outside of possibly taking some customers from their cafeterias do or have they had any aspect in your life? or your well being ? if not, smile and wave :)
maybe go in a week before with some flyers, ask to have them posted, see what kind of response you get

Well Springfield is the state capitol and politics are tougher here than in DC. If the company that has the contract on the state office buildings had any pull, and they do or they wouldn't have the contract, they are going to fight me with phone calls to god only knows. First they will try the HD then the city, and maybe try and get the rules on parking meters changed or food trucks. It will create a big battle.  Not that I haven't been there before. LOL
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2011/09/13 00:14:41
Maybe 2-3 inch max between interior and exterior the pics are the interior walls.

Then for gods sake don't add anything to the walls unless you absolutely have to. Start calling insulation companies and get them to come look at it. Don't get a price over the phone have them show up and get a written price quote on drilling holes and filling the space with insulation. They can dril an inch and a quarter hole at the very top of each section and pump it full of foam. Hopefully the liquid foam that sets up and provides a great barrier. And if in your area you have 20 companies that do that kind of work call them all. If you have 50 call them all. By the time you've gone through the entire list and those that show up, you'll know as much about the process as they do. LOL You'll find prices all over the map and you'll find a company you feel comfortable with.

Then you can cover the holes with trim or if you have to FRP.

But before you buy FRP Go to this site http://www.nudo.com/ and read very careefully what they offer. They are here in Springfield and built my trailer walls. I don't remember who it was but another RF builder bought from them this last winter. They are an awesome company. In fact do a search here on RF there were several post on it. 

Good luck my friend.
reese77
Double Cheeseburger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2011/09/16 09:35:56
Thinking of buying this generator today. Is this a good deal. I cannot find too much about this model online.
nwcw2001
Junior Burger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2011/09/16 10:10:27
reese77

Thinking of buying generator today. Is this a good deal. I cannot find too much about this model online.

Generac is a REALLY sturdy product. I have used their emergency building generators and haven't had any problems. The ad says it was only used twice, he should still have all the warranty stuff in tact. I wouldn't buy it if he can't produce that. You could get a similar generator at Lowes or HD for the about the same price with a warranty. Cuz if that generator dies you are kind of in a pickle.
reese77
Double Cheeseburger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2011/09/16 11:22:14
nwcw2001

reese77

Thinking of buying generator today. Is this a good deal. I cannot find too much about this model online.

Generac is a REALLY sturdy product. I have used their emergency building generators and haven't had any problems. The ad says it was only used twice, he should still have all the warranty stuff in tact. I wouldn't buy it if he can't produce that. You could get a similar generator at Lowes or HD for the about the same price with a warranty. Cuz if that generator dies you are kind of in a pickle.

I haven't seen a 10K Generac anywhere for 500. There are other 10K brands/models on Amazon, etc. for around 800 but not a Generac. I want the Generac because they manufacture a remote control panel that can be added on to their generators. I am going to check it out in person tomorrow.
blackrooster
Junior Burger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2011/09/16 11:25:15
how do you figure out what kind of breaker box to get ?
reese77
Double Cheeseburger
Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Food Truck Build 2011/09/16 11:35:30
blackrooster

how do you figure out what kind of breaker box to get ?

Slips my mind right now because I am at a bar working and kind of toasted, got tired of working from home. I purchased a 50AMP box with 8 breakers but I still need an electrician to come out and review how I need to set things up. I maintained a spreadsheet to list all of my equipment and calculate voltage/current needed and I definitely need a 10K generator.

I am supposed to only work half day today, we will see. If so I will take a pic of my breaker box and I am also in the process of building a sliding door between my cabin and kitchen. I will post those pics.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 16