Fireside Bar and Grill in Wickenburg

boyardee65
  • Total Posts : 1457
  • Reward points : 0
Fireside Bar and Grill in Wickenburg - Tue, 01/11/11 1:46 PM
 Sorry I haven't been posting since the Holidays but I have been very busy. I have  recently moved back to Wickenburg, AZ from Wasilla, AK.  I haven't had much opportunity to eat out but I came upon this place near Wickie.

It is called The Fireside Bar and Grill and they bill themselves as " Every bikers favorite cowboy bar and every cowboys favorite biker bar."  I don't know about that but I did see a lot of cowboys there who work at the local ranches.

I got there at about 6:00 p.m. to a half empty dining room that was decorated in cowboy chic. Lots of rodeo pictures, ropes, branding irons, etc... Red checkered table cloths and heavy wood booths.  The waitress nice but seemed either new to her job there or just having a bad day. I ordered decaf coffee and a glass of water to drink. The coffee arrived luke warm  and I had to wait about 10 minutes to get a new cup. She made a fresh pot. After looking over the menu which offers several signature burgers and the usual ribs and steaks I went with the Cowboy Burger. 1/2 lb. fresh beef, cooked to order, topped with house made BBQ sauce, bacon, cheddar cheese, and an onion ring. I also ordered the fires instead of the beans or coleslaw which were the other choices offered. The burger came and was a magnificent sight. I ordered mine medium rare and it came out perfectly pink in the middle!!! It was hard to wrap my mouth around it was so big. I was in burger heaven. I needed to order more napkins from my server but she was nowhere to be found. Moving on to my fries i pulled a few out of the pile on my plate but alas they were cold. Like they had been sitting under the heat lamp too long. Still waiting for my server, I finished most of my burger. She finally arrived and brought refills and inquired about the meal. I told her the fries were cold and she promptly whisked them away and had the cooks make a new batch for the table to share. These were much better.  HOT!!  Skin on and seasoned with salt and black pepper.
 Mom ordered the Fish and Chips. Obviously hand battered, they had a rough, crispy, and light coating. Since they use cod for the fish, it was only fair. As with my fries, hers were cold. The Nieces split a  cheeseburger cooked well done and as with mine it was perfectly prepared. We were too full to order any of the desserts that were offered after the meal.

All in all, I wold go back to the Fireside  but will wait until they work out some of their bugs. They have only been open about 3-4 months. Located at 50507 N. Hwy 60 about 3 miles south of Wickenburg, AZ  Ph.# 928-684-4906.  You can also find them on facebook.

Hope this review is helpful.

David O.

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9543
Re:Fireside Bar and Grill in Wickenburg - Wed, 01/12/11 2:03 AM
I'll give them a try next time going thru Wickie! Do they do Breakfast & Lunch too?? Sell Beer??
<message edited by Foodbme on Wed, 01/12/11 2:04 AM>

boyardee65
Re:Fireside Bar and Grill in Wickenburg - Wed, 01/12/11 11:23 AM
  Fireside does not serve breakfast but they do serve lunch. Open at 11:00 a.m.  They do have a full bar including beer. If I were you, I would stick to the Twin Wheels Cafe for breakfast!!

JMHO

David O.

JRPfeff
  • Total Posts : 2368
Re:Fireside Bar and Grill in Wickenburg - Sat, 01/15/11 4:39 PM
David,

Thanks for posting this recommendation.  I was actually looking for a place to eat when I hike Vulture Peak later this spring.  The burgers sound great.

Jim

boyardee65
Re:Fireside Bar and Grill in Wickenburg - Mon, 01/17/11 12:23 PM
 Just an update about the Fireside. I went there to check out some of the other things on their menu.

This time I went on a Friday evening. It was not too busy when I arrived but was soon very busy. The service this time around was much better than last time. (different server) I ordered the 1/2 rack of babyback ribs and was very disappointed!! They came out looking very good. I they came with cowboy beans and coleslaw. The ribs were cooked perfectly and were tender with a bit of chew. However, after the first bite I noticed the overpowering flavor of cumin. Like the cook had accidentally dumped the whole spice jar in there. The sauce was gritty with too much cumin. I could only take the one bite before sending them back. The server was nice about it and promptly took them back to the kitchen and informed the chef. The coleslaw was lightly dressed and kind of bland. The beans were ok but also laced with cumin. I know that cumin is a staple of this region but someone has to draw a line. I would have ordered something else but the flavor of cumin in my mouth gave me heartburn so bad that I couldn't eat anything else. The ribs were taken off the bill but no one offered to comp anything. (drink, dessert,etc...) I'm not looking for a free meal but it would have been nice if they had offered a discount for my next visit. I know that they are relatively new to the area and obviously have some issues to work out. That being said, I will go back for the burgers!! I won't be ordering ribs there anymore without tasting the sauce first!! There are better places around here to get them. A new BBQ place has opened in Wickie this last few weeks (Hog Trough) and as soon as I have eaten there I will post a review.

David O.
<message edited by boyardee65 on Mon, 01/17/11 12:27 PM>

Davydd
  • Total Posts : 6222
Re:Fireside Bar and Grill in Wickenburg - Mon, 01/17/11 12:52 PM
David O,

I heard there was a restaurant in Wickenburg that served a breaded pork tenderloin sandwich Midwest style. Would you know where that would be?

boyardee65
Re:Fireside Bar and Grill in Wickenburg - Mon, 01/17/11 2:43 PM
  I used to make them at the Gold Nugget Restaurant  222 W. Wickenburg Way, here in Wickie. I am pretty sure that you can get them there. I don't know of any other place in town that serves them.  Might want to call ahead as they are usually a lunch special.   ph# 928-684-0648  They serve a full breakfast starting at 6:00 am and lunch service starts at 10:30.

David O.

boyardee65
Re:Fireside Bar and Grill in Wickenburg - Mon, 01/17/11 2:52 PM
JRPfeff

David,

Thanks for posting this recommendation.  I was actually looking for a place to eat when I hike Vulture Peak later this spring.  The burgers sound great.

Jim

Hope you enjoy your trip through Wickenburg. I don't know the last time you were here. There have been a few changes to  Hwy. 60. There are roundabouts at both ends of town. Have to watch out for people who don't yield.

Make sure you call ahead to the mine to make sure they are open. My wife and I took out honeymoon here in Wickenburg and visited the Vulture Mine. I thought it was a nice side trip.

As I have said in other posts the Twin Wheels Restaurant is the best value for the money in Wickenburg for breakfast. I think that FBM can vouch for this.

Feb, 11th-13th  is Gold Rush Days so it will be VERY busy in town.

David O.
<message edited by boyardee65 on Thu, 01/20/11 11:13 AM>