Lutefisk Frozen Dinner

brisketboy
  • Total Posts : 1056
  • Reward points : 0
Lutefisk Frozen Dinner - Thu, 01/20/11 2:54 PM
I am not quite certain this qualifies as seafood however in my many travels to the Pacific Northwest, I stumbled into the quaint little Danish town of Poulsbo about 15 miles north of Bangor Wa. Walking down the street sipping a double shot latte Inearly shot foam out of my nose because there on a sign was an ad for Frozen lutefisk TV dinners. Incredulous, I walked inside and asked if they were kidding. They were not. The owner led me over to the frozen food section and sure as Sh*t, there it was. If I knew how, I would post the pictures I took of these.

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17838
Re:Lutefisk Frozen Dinner - Thu, 01/20/11 3:06 PM
I know Poulsbo, and it is a fine place. Your scathing, unwarranted attack on it notwithstanding, Poulsbo is a perfect place to expect to find a great lutefisk TV dinner. I wonder whether they are still made by Swanson. That's the brand we used to buy, and when we moved to Ohio from West Virginia I could no longer find them in any of the stores, which is sort of strange because in Charleston we'd get them at Kroger. Kroger, of course, is Scandavian name -- accounting, no doubt, for the fact that the frozen lutefisk TV dinners were such big sellers in the hollers of the Mountain State where Kroger and other noted Scandahoovian families abound.

wanderingjew
  • Total Posts : 7386
Re:Lutefisk Frozen Dinner - Thu, 01/20/11 3:46 PM

Michael Hoffman
Re:Lutefisk Frozen Dinner - Thu, 01/20/11 3:51 PM
YUM!

brisketboy
Re:Lutefisk Frozen Dinner - Fri, 01/21/11 9:43 AM
Mr Hoffman: I do not consider my comments on Poulso "scathing or unwarranted" I said nothing derogatory. If you mean my use of the word quaint I suugest you look it up. I think the quaint little town of Solvange in Ojai is much the same. My comments were about the incredulousness of somebody actually making Lutefisk dinners. And you sir are a bully.

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
Re:Lutefisk Frozen Dinner - Fri, 01/21/11 10:33 AM
I didnt see any scathing comments about Poulso in your original post.....

NC Cheesehead
  • Total Posts : 158
Re:Lutefisk Frozen Dinner - Fri, 01/21/11 12:01 PM
Having grown up in Wisconsin and going to a Lutheran church full of Scandinavians....I will flat out go out and say it.  Lutefisk ranks up there as one of the nastiest things I ever ate.  It ranks up there with Andrew Zimmern's Bizarre foods.  And no, I am not a bully.

brisketboy
Re:Lutefisk Frozen Dinner - Fri, 01/21/11 12:15 PM
Having been a sailor for twenty some years I can say that I have eaten some very bizarre things. From haggis to balut but even I could not choke down a spoonful of lutefisk. It definately put the fear of cod in me.

MellowRoast
  • Total Posts : 1933
Re:Lutefisk Frozen Dinner - Fri, 01/21/11 12:59 PM
I'd like to try that.  Or should I say, I don't know what lutefisk is, but the dinner sure looks good.
<message edited by MellowRoast on Fri, 01/21/11 1:03 PM>

Michael Hoffman
Re:Lutefisk Frozen Dinner - Fri, 01/21/11 1:03 PM
brisketboy

Mr Hoffman: I do not consider my comments on Poulso "scathing or unwarranted" I said nothing derogatory. If you mean my use of the word quaint I suugest you look it up. I think the quaint little town of Solvange in Ojai is much the same. My comments were about the incredulousness of somebody actually making Lutefisk dinners. And you sir are a bully.

And you, sir, are in dire need of a sense of humor transplant!

<message edited by Michael Hoffman on Fri, 01/21/11 1:04 PM>

kishkaeater
  • Total Posts : 102
Re:Lutefisk Frozen Dinner - Fri, 01/21/11 1:18 PM
Folks!  Mr. Hoffman's first post was a joke.  I saw that immediately.  Probably prefaced by the constant chatter about lutefisk.

brisketboy
Re:Lutefisk Frozen Dinner - Fri, 01/21/11 2:14 PM
In that case Mr. Hoffman please accept my sincere apology, I probably do need to lighten up some.

Michael Hoffman
Re:Lutefisk Frozen Dinner - Fri, 01/21/11 2:20 PM
Sure. Thank you.

1bbqboy
  • Total Posts : 4542
Re:Lutefisk Frozen Dinner - Fri, 01/21/11 2:21 PM
I'd say your sense of humor is just fine if you can coin the phrase"the fear of cod".
Hoffman isn't a bully, he's just old and crotchety.
If you look in the dictionary for the definition of curmudgeon, he's the first listing.

Michael Hoffman
Re:Lutefisk Frozen Dinner - Fri, 01/21/11 2:24 PM
I'm not old.

NC Cheesehead
  • Total Posts : 158
Re:Lutefisk Frozen Dinner - Fri, 01/21/11 2:46 PM
What's the definition of "old" anyway.  I would classify Mr Hoffman as dry and sarcastic ....my style of humor and I must admit that I get a laugh from his posts.

ann peeples
Re:Lutefisk Frozen Dinner - Fri, 01/21/11 7:04 PM
Wow! I need to get a clue, too! I was surprised by Mr.Hoffmans comment, and thought perhaps he had been drinking...

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13389
Re:Lutefisk Frozen Dinner - Fri, 01/21/11 7:14 PM
annpeeples

Wow! I need to get a clue, too! I was surprised by Mr.Hoffmans comment, and thought perhaps he had been drinking...

I would be surprised if Michael was drinking.  He has a very weird sense of humor but he is very very intelligent. You always have to read between the lines when he post.

Lukefisk?  Surprising enough, Minneapolis ships most of it to Norway.  Personally, it really turns me off but apparently some folks really like it .

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Michael Hoffman
Re:Lutefisk Frozen Dinner - Fri, 01/21/11 7:53 PM
annpeeples

He is drinking. A glass of Jack Daniels Black Label with an itty-bitty ice cube.

flyseye
  • Total Posts : 467
Re:Lutefisk Frozen Dinner - Sat, 01/22/11 10:00 AM
BB,

If you get back to Poulsbo, stop in at Tizleys Europub. It is very close to where the frozen lutefisk tv dinners were sold. Good food, and a nice selection of german/Belgian beers on tap.

And I dont know where all this talk about Scandinavia is coming from, Lutefisk was most certainly invented in Gary,IN.

brisketboy
Re:Lutefisk Frozen Dinner - Sat, 01/22/11 3:55 PM
Flyseye, I will take your suggestion about the Europub because I have occasion to be in Bangor next month on business. Sadly many of the shops and boutiques have had to shut their doors due to the state of the economy of particular note was a lovely native American shop that sold Northwest Pacific Native American curios. Bummer.

ann peeples
Re:Lutefisk Frozen Dinner - Sat, 01/22/11 5:45 PM
I was joking about the drinking part of my comment...

Michael Hoffman
Re:Lutefisk Frozen Dinner - Sat, 01/22/11 6:24 PM
brisketboy

Flyseye, I will take your suggestion about the Europub because I have occasion to be in Bangor next month on business. Sadly many of the shops and boutiques have had to shut their doors due to the state of the economy of particular note was a lovely native American shop that sold Northwest Pacific Native American curios. Bummer.

Bangor? You wouldn't by any chance be in the submarine business would you?

jimcor
  • Total Posts : 148
Re:Lutefisk Frozen Dinner - Sat, 01/22/11 6:58 PM
Michael Hoffman

I know Poulsbo, and it is a fine place. Your scathing, unwarranted attack on it notwithstanding, Poulsbo is a perfect place to expect to find a great lutefisk TV dinner. I wonder whether they are still made by Swanson. That's the brand we used to buy, and when we moved to Ohio from West Virginia I could no longer find them in any of the stores, which is sort of strange because in Charleston we'd get them at Kroger. Kroger, of course, is Scandavian name -- accounting, no doubt, for the fact that the frozen lutefisk TV dinners were such big sellers in the hollers of the Mountain State where Kroger and other noted Scandahoovian families abound.

Now that is funny right there...however. It is not Kroger, it is the Kroger. The Kroger has string beans on sale. I was at the Kroger when I ran into Mr. and Mrs. So and So. 
Oh no, you can get those anytime at the Kroger.  Scandahoovians talk dat vey.

Davydd
  • Total Posts : 6224
Re:Lutefisk Frozen Dinner - Sat, 01/22/11 7:18 PM
I'm from Minnesota and glad it was not a Minnesotan that finally managed to combine TV dinners with Lutefisk.

appycamper
  • Total Posts : 74
Re:Lutefisk Frozen Dinner - Sat, 01/22/11 9:59 PM
Davydd

I'm from Minnesota and glad it was not a Minnesotan that finally managed to combine TV dinners with Lutefisk.

and i am glad this discussion hasn't devolved into smacking each other with pollock or catapulting scrod through each other's front windows. freezing lutefisk seems like overkill, but then i'm still having difficulty not spewing my beverage all over the keyboard. getting whiplash from fluctuating humor between dry/wry and slapstick.

Michael Hoffman
Re:Lutefisk Frozen Dinner - Sat, 01/22/11 10:10 PM
Uff da!
<message edited by Michael Hoffman on Sat, 01/22/11 10:12 PM>

DougS
  • Total Posts : 475
Re:Lutefisk Frozen Dinner - Sun, 01/23/11 10:14 AM
What really makes me smile is that someone prefers frozen lutefisk dinners but wouldn't dare eat a chicken wing. Now that is bizarre.

Michael Hoffman
Re:Lutefisk Frozen Dinner - Sun, 01/23/11 10:54 AM
DougS

What really makes me smile is that someone prefers frozen lutefisk dinners but wouldn't dare eat a chicken wing. Now that is bizarre.

Nah. What's bizarre is the way you've failed to understand what that someone has said quite a few times-- that he (meaning me, of course) has eaten chicken wings, doesn't like chicken wings and doesn't understand why others might want to eat them. Big difference. You do know what the word difference means, I trust.

brisketboy
Re:Lutefisk Frozen Dinner - Mon, 01/24/11 1:48 PM
Mr Hoffman. Yes I am. I was a boat sailor for twenty years and now I am a contractor and travel between New London. Newport, Kings Bay, Bangor and the occasional trip to Plymouth, England and Faslane Scotland. Hope to retire soon. Traveling at my age begins to wear thin.

Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2413
Re:Lutefisk Frozen Dinner - Mon, 01/24/11 2:00 PM
Who dares to ask Michael if he eats eggs??? I wouldn't touch that one.............for anything.

Michael Hoffman
Re:Lutefisk Frozen Dinner - Mon, 01/24/11 3:09 PM
brisketboy

Mr Hoffman. Yes I am. I was a boat sailor for twenty years and now I am a contractor and travel between New London. Newport, Kings Bay, Bangor and the occasional trip to Plymouth, England and Faslane Scotland. Hope to retire soon. Traveling at my age begins to wear thin.

My son-in-law is a retired chief -- a San Juan plank owner.

Michael Hoffman
Re:Lutefisk Frozen Dinner - Mon, 01/24/11 3:11 PM
Rusty246

Who dares to ask Michael if he eats eggs??? I wouldn't touch that one.............for anything.

Sure I eat eggs. Fish eggs, too.

DougS
  • Total Posts : 475
Re:Lutefisk Frozen Dinner - Tue, 01/25/11 7:40 PM
Michael Hoffman

DougS

Nah. What's bizarre is the way you've failed to understand what that someone has said quite a few times-- that he (meaning me, of course) has eaten chicken wings, doesn't like chicken wings and doesn't understand why others might want to eat them. Big difference. You do know what the word difference means, I trust.

Sorry Mr. Hoffman, let me rephrase my point. Would prefer Lutefisk over chicken wings, is what I find humorous. You do know the meaning of humorous, I trust?

Michael Hoffman
Re:Lutefisk Frozen Dinner - Tue, 01/25/11 8:18 PM
I would prefer virtually anything over chicken wings. And I have heard the word humerous. I even looked it up once.

kennyb
  • Total Posts : 374
Re:Lutefisk Frozen Dinner - Tue, 02/15/11 5:53 PM
never had it, only seen it on tv. doesn't look very good. i did have muktuk in Alaska and it was really bad. imagine about the same.

pimple2
  • Total Posts : 90
Re:Lutefisk Frozen Dinner - Sun, 02/20/11 7:47 AM
May I ask if the Lutefisk product is
a) still commercially distributed nationwide or is extremely localized?

b) made by more than one brand, e.g. Swanson?

c) any possibility of sampling it elsewhere, e.g. upstate NY?

Thanks.