P*t BBQ Miami

Double Chili Cheeseburger
2011/01/22 08:29:07
To those of you that remember this rustic dive on the outskirts of Miami-Dade county, this was about the last place still operating that was grandfathered in the polution control laws of the 70's that still operated a wood fired p*t as a grill. The name of p*t was a misnomer as there was never any p*t type BBQing done on an open p*t. It was just a wood fired grilling surface which pre-smoked meat was turned out and finished. The ribs and half chickens were phenomenal and if you could weather the heat and fight off the flies in the dining area, it was the last place that you could get old world, south fl style Q done much the way it was decades earlier. The owner passed away around 2007 and the place has been under new ownership that I understand have completely renovated the place.  Other folks reviews across the web appear to indicate that the place and food we all remember is no longer. Bear in mind this is just my opinion based on what I've read in other's concurring reviews and I haven't been out there to see for myself.

I'm wondering how many of you remember this place and if any of you paid attention to the process. I did from the limited perspective of the two windows and specifically targeted questions to the staff over the years. The responses were inconsistant of what was going on behind the front, but I did glean enough information on the smoking and finishing process just by watching to establish the method from turnout to serving and what went into some of the preparation.

Beyond the limited information revealed in a few interviews with the press, has anyone here had any first hand or ancetodal knowledge of the place or any former employees?

post edited by DawnT - 2011/01/22 08:40:11
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
Re:P*t BBQ Miami 2011/01/22 09:33:01
Ah, The Pit.  I used to love that place.  We'd stop in there after going target shooting and get ribs and those great honey rolls.  And then to Gator Kicks for a few brews.  Gator Kicks burnt down, and The Pit has changed hands. 

Now one can get tamales, rice and beans, plaintains and yuca there.  Flan and tres leches for dessert.

All I could tell about the cooking was that they obviously finished the orders on an open, wood-fired grill which one could see from the order window.

DawnT
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:P*t BBQ Miami 2011/01/22 15:17:41
Are you referring to the deep fried biscuit things they served with honey? I don't recall any other honey rolls on the menu unless I missed something. If it's the biscuits, I know how they made those.
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
Re:P*t BBQ Miami 2011/01/22 15:36:37
The fried biscuit things.  I can't remember what they called them.